PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner Questions

Hoover
08-28-2006, 07:55 AM
OK, I own a old home, it was built around 1917.

This morning my wife notices that we have water dripping into our 2nd flor bathroom from the roof. (Its raining out).

I went into the attic and notice that the north side of the cheminey is wet. How do I fix that? Is there some sort of rubber boot I can put around it. Also my roof is original clay tile, so I can't really rip it up.

Question two.

While I was in the attic I noticed that it was breezy up there. There is blown in insulation on the floor but nothing on the above rafters. Can I insulate those? My AC unit is also in the attic.

My heating bills are a bitch and I'm already nervous about this winter.

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Might as well burn the place down. It's unfixable.

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Thought I'd get in the first smartass comment.

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2006, 08:00 AM
For the leaky roof... you need to locate where the leak is coming from. If it's a hole in the roof, fix that... if it's separation away from the chimney, you might be able to just seal around the chimney.

I've never seen insulation on the rafters, but I think it wouldn't be a problem to add more insulation to the attic floor (or better insulation on the floor)...

:shrug:

Iowanian
08-28-2006, 08:03 AM
I know nothing of clay tile roofing repair. JSP or phildo are probably your best bet.

If its just leaking along the chimney, you might be able to tar it.

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2006, 08:05 AM
As for your heating/electric bills... this sounds really simple, but I'm not trying to insult you... make sure all of your filters are changed at least once a season (cold and hot) and make sure no furniture is blocking any of your vents... I've also read that it's poor energy usage to turn vents off to rooms or to close doors.

Brock
08-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Insulating the rafters would be of little value. As far as the leak goes, your best bet is to call a roofer, judging from the questions you're asking.

jspchief
08-28-2006, 08:06 AM
OK, I own a old home, it was built around 1917.

This morning my wife notices that we have water dripping into our 2nd flor bathroom from the roof. (Its raining out).

I went into the attic and notice that the north side of the cheminey is wet. How do I fix that? Is there some sort of rubber boot I can put around it. Also my roof is original clay tile, so I can't really rip it up.

Question two.

While I was in the attic I noticed that it was breezy up there. There is blown in insulation on the floor but nothing on the above rafters. Can I insulate those? My AC unit is also in the attic.

My heating bills are a bitch and I'm already nervous about this winter.

You have two choices with the chimney.

1. Do it right and pay someone to remove the tile in the area and fix the flashing around the chimney. It may include needing new counter flashing cut into the brick, and possibly tuck pointing the mortar. Probably close to a $1k repair.

2. Tar around the chimney where it meets the roof. It will look crappy and will need to be redone every year or two, and it may not even fix the problem. Cost around $100, maybe less.

As for the insulation, your attic should be near the same temperature as the outside. That breeze you feel is necessary ventilation. It removes the moisture from the attic that is produced in the home from everyday living (cooking, showers, etc). If you want more insulation, put it on the floor. Stuffing it betwen rafters serves no purpose because your ventilation still has to bring in warm/cool outside air.

Hoover
08-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys.

As for my heating system, I have hot water heat.

My house is like a cave. Its great in the fall and sping, as it stays cool till it gets really hot out side, stays warm till it gets really cold.

Phobia
08-28-2006, 08:57 AM
JSP's answers were perfect. You should have 12-18 inches of "blown" insulation on your attic floor. If you do not then you're wasting money. Blow more insulation in there.

burt
08-28-2006, 09:01 AM
JSP's answers were perfect. You should have 12-18 inches of "blown" insulation on your attic floor. If you do not then you're wasting money. Blow more insulation in there.

Next question.........how can I get my wife to blow my insulation????

cookster50
08-28-2006, 09:01 AM

(In a Beavis voice) Huhh huhh, he said "blow". Huhh huhh

kepp
08-28-2006, 09:04 AM
You have two choices with the chimney.

1. Do it right and pay someone to remove the tile in the area and fix the flashing around the chimney. It may include needing new counter flashing cut into the brick, and possibly tuck pointing the mortar. Probably close to a $1k repair.

2. Tar around the chimney where it meets the roof. It will look crappy and will need to be redone every year or two, and it may not even fix the problem. Cost around $100, maybe less.

I'd spend the $$ now and have it done right, if possible. I witnessed my Dad battle leaking around our chimney growing up...year after year after year. He tarred it every year and it still managed to leak and eventually caused rotting. I think it still leaks a little to this day.

Lzen
08-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Next question.........how can I get my wife to blow my insulation????

Get a new wife?

redsurfer11
08-28-2006, 11:32 AM
The chimney flashing could have no problems,it could be cracks in chimney, water can come in from anywhere. Good Luck. Call an experienced roofer, from a reputable company. Should cost around $150. to reflash the chimney. Repointing the brick could cost more.

jspchief
08-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Should cost around $150. to reflash the chimney. With tile on a brick chimney? It's going to cost him a heck of a lot more than that here in Iowa.

Phobia
08-28-2006, 11:35 AM
With tile on a brick chimney? It's going to cost him a heck of a lot more than that here in Iowa.
No kidding.

Hoover
08-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Yeah, its like owning some wierd european car.

Everytime I want to do somethign to the house, I have to bend over a take it.

Phobia
08-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah, its like owning some wierd european car.

Everytime I want to do somethign to the house, I have to bend over a take it.

Really, that's the case with almost any house these days. The costs of doing business are on the rise and contractors are forced to pass those costs on to consumers. Has anybody noticed the cost to install a ceiling fan these days? Just 2 years ago you could get one installed for $45-55 anywhere. Now $75 is cheap and $100+ is normal. I charged a lady $600 to install a custom ceiling fan 30 feet in the air over the top of a staircase a few months back and she was happy to pay it.

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Really, that's the case with almost any house these days. The costs of doing business are on the rise and contractors are forced to pass those costs on to consumers. Has anybody noticed the cost to install a ceiling fan these days? Just 2 years ago you could get one installed for $45-55 anywhere. Now $75 is cheap and $100+ is normal. I charged a lady $600 to install a custom ceiling fan 30 feet in the air over the top of a staircase a few months back and she was happy to pay it.
You should have given her a premium membership, too. Just sayin'. :p

Hoover
08-28-2006, 11:50 AM
lol...

looks like the const of political funraisng is about to go up again...

NewChief
08-28-2006, 11:59 AM

Lordy. That's insane (the $100+ being normal). If you could get gigs installing ceiling fans all day, you could make some money.

Hoover
08-28-2006, 12:02 PM
He's not telling us the entire story, he had to do it naked while this old lady took pictures.

:D

Phobia
08-28-2006, 12:04 PM
He's not telling us the entire story, he had to do it naked while this old lady took pictures.

:D

I didn't do it at all. I forced 2 old widows to hang it while I flogged them with a bullwhip all for $2 an hour. Then I fired them when they were done for daring to take a smoke break.