PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Gonzo

King_Chief_Fan
08-28-2006, 10:58 AM
You can't help but notice that Gonzo is not getting thrown to much if ever during the preseason.... He is quite active in the blocking scheme.
Is this some of the offense not showing all their weapons? I remember Gonzo talking about how he was asked what he wanted in his role and that he commented that he was happy with the result of the conversation. Input?

Mr. Laz
08-28-2006, 11:03 AM
i don't think Gonzo ever regained his speed after the foot injury of 2 years ago.

Gonzo likes to talk about how the chiefs "forgot him in the redzone" ... but i just think he's not getting as open anymore.

hopefully not ....

i expect solid, not spectacular, numbers from him.

L.A. Chieffan
08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
well i hate to admit it too but it seems that other teams focus on him in the red zone preventing him from getting any wide open 5 yard TDs like he used to. also since roaf went out with the injury last year, hes been doing ALOT more blocking, and now without Roaf completely gone for the season, not to mention T-Rich, hell probably be doing more of the same

chagrin
08-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Are you saying he's lot his burst? Absurd!

4th and Long
08-28-2006, 11:08 AM
It's all part of Edwards master plan to keep Gonzo out of the mix in preseason, thus, lulling your opponents into a false sense of security ... or something like that.

Kyle401
08-28-2006, 11:18 AM
What I have noticed is that Gonzo is a classy player and is willing to do whatever the team needs him to without whining/holding out/demanding a trade.

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2006, 11:23 AM
What I have noticed is that Gonzo is a classy player and is willing to do whatever the team needs him to without whining/holding out/demanding a trade.
Well... I'd agree that he does what the team needs. But I'm not sure how classy he is and after about two games last year he was certainly whining and implying if the team wasn't going to use his talents they should send him somewhere else.

FringeNC
08-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Didn't Solari indicate that he intended to get Gonzo MORE involved in the passing game this year, especially in the Red Zone? If I remember correctly, he met with Gonzo, and asked him his favorite routes, and intended to run those a lot.

Kyle401
08-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Hmm.. guess I missed those comments.

Warrior5
08-28-2006, 11:32 AM
It's all part of Edwards master plan to keep Gonzo out of the mix in preseason, thus, lulling your opponents into a false sense of security ... or something like that.

Exactly what I was going to say. :cuss:

Edwards master plan...lull opponents...false sense of security...

then BAM!

Yeah, that's the ticket.

FloridaMan88
08-28-2006, 11:38 AM
If Parker and Kennison continue playing like they did in the Rams game, the Chiefs are going to make teams pay for doubling inside on Gonzo

Sure-Oz
08-28-2006, 11:40 AM
I am sure he will show up, i don't even think he has a catch in the pre-season does he?

Hoover
08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
I think his lack of production is a byproduct of piss poor play calling (this year and last year).

We are a running team, we have one of the best RB's in the league, but that doesn't mean we should just piound the ball when we are near the goal line.

I think it would be wise to try to get the ball to Tony in the enzon on 1st down (maybe a little play action) and not wait till 3rd and goal.

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Hoover, I think at some point TG got in Al Saunders' dog house and AS didn't want to call his number in the red zone... just something I remember hearing or reading. :shrug:

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2006, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Hoover]I think his lack of production is a byproduct of piss poor play calling (this year and last year).QUOTE]

Alot of that is LJ just taking it to the house.

Hoover
08-28-2006, 11:59 AM
I agree, all I'm saying is you can't only call Tony's number on 3rd and goal from the 6 because EVERYONE knows where Trent wants to go.

Baby Lee
08-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Hoover, I think at some point TG got in Al Saunders' dog house and AS didn't want to call his number in the red zone... just something I remember hearing or reading. :shrug:
TG, TG or AS one needed to be in the doghouse after that triple team forced pass against the Texans that went 105 yards the other way.

sd4chiefs
08-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Are you saying he's lot his burst? Absurd!

Any TE over 30 is going to be a little slower.

HemiEd
08-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Herm is saving Tony and Kris Wilson until the regular season when it matters.

Hammock Parties
08-28-2006, 12:17 PM
It's preseason.

Also, on Kennison's first catch the other night, Gonzalez got WIDE OPEN down the middle of the field. And I mean WIDE OPEN. It would have been a huge gain.

Calcountry
08-28-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree, all I'm saying is you can't only call Tony's number on 3rd and goal from the 6 because EVERYONE knows where Trent wants to go.Can LJ pass the ball?

You heard me right. Option pass in the red zone should be used a couple of times this year.

Walter Payton use to throw em for TD's when everyone was keying on him.

Calcountry
08-28-2006, 12:24 PM
It's preseason.

Also, on Kennison's first catch the other night, Gonzalez got WIDE OPEN down the middle of the field. And I mean WIDE OPEN. It would have been a huge gain.On a side note/ Padilla looked awesome last night dude. Just a glimmer of hope left for the Rangers.

Hammock Parties
08-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Baseball is still going on?