PDA

View Full Version : Thorpe fails to catch on

08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15385174.htm

Thorpe fails to catch on
Second-year wide receiver surprised to be released. Holmes to miss at least first six games.
By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

On the eve of a cutdown day that was supposed to yield few surprises, Priest Holmes was shelved for the first part of the season and Craphonso Thorpe found himself without a job.

And at least one of the parties was taken aback.

A couple of months after Thorpe was impressive enough in minicamp to win raves from quarterback Trent Green, he was released Monday along with 13 other players as NFL teams worked to pare their rosters to 75.

Thorpe, a former track star from Florida State in his second year, was considered the front-runner to lock down the No. 4 receiver spot this spring. And the Chiefs saw unlimited potential when they drafted him in the fourth round last year. But Thorpe injured his shoulder at the start of training camp in nonpadded practice and sat most of the summer.

“Prior to that, I don’t think anybody had any complaints about ‘Cro,’ ” said Thorpe’s agent, Matt Couloute. “He was where he was supposed to be on the depth chart … people thought he would be the third or fourth receiver on the team. It’s a little surprising.

“Unfortunately, a new coaching staff comes in and really didn’t have much of a chance to see a lot of him. At that point, he’s like everybody else.”

Coach Herm Edwards said by letting Thorpe go now, he has a better opportunity of latching onto another team. Couloute said he talked to “a bunch of teams” Monday about Thorpe. He declined to say what teams were interested.

With one preseason game left before the final cuts Sept. 2, the battle for the final receiver spot appears to be between rookies Jeff Webb and Chris Hannon. Webb is a sixth-round draft pick from San Diego State; Hannon is an undrafted free agent. Both have shown value on special teams, something Edwards said is necessary for a backup receiver.

The Chiefs have three known commodities at receiver in Eddie Kennison, Samie Parker and Dante Hall.

Another notable cut on Monday was Nick Reid, a popular linebacker from Kansas and the Big 12’s defensive player of the year. Edwards said it’s possible that Reid could be back when the Chiefs assemble their practice squad next week.

The Chiefs are loaded at linebacker with Derrick Johnson, Kawika Mitchell and Kendrell Bell. Keyaron Fox is battling Bell for a starting outside linebacker job, and Boomer Grigsby, Rich Scanlon and Kris Griffin are also competing for backup jobs.

“I just think he was in the wrong place at the right time,” Edwards said. “We have some pretty good linebackers.”

Holmes’ placement on the physically-unable-to-perform list wasn’t a surprise — he hasn’t been cleared by doctors after suffering a neck injury last season — and the Chiefs prepared to go on without him last month by acquiring Michael Bennett to be running back Larry Johnson’s backup. Holmes will sit through the first six weeks of the regular season, and then the Chiefs have 21 days to decide whether to activate him.

He’ll be 33 in October, casting doubts on his return.

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Front page, dude. Front ****ing page.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=146486

morphius
08-29-2006, 12:13 PM
hehe, this isn't even on the front page yet. Posted by KEG.

08-29-2006, 12:14 PM
sorry boys..my bad bad..I never read the front page..

please delete!!!!

DaFace
08-29-2006, 12:14 PM
I think that reposts that are still on the front page should be punished by getting their avatar changed to something like a dunce cap for a week.

Something like this, but Photoshopped to read "I will not repost" on the blackboard.

http://la.indymedia.org/uploads/2005/06/dunce.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2006, 12:16 PM
sorry boys..my bad bad..I never read the front page..

please delete!!!!
Maybe you should before you just start throwin' shit up... or post it somewhere else. I think WPI would welcome this info.

08-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Maybe you should before you just start throwin' shit up... or post it somewhere else. I think WPI would welcome this info.
you are correct..let the crucifixion begin!!!! :)

luv
08-29-2006, 12:19 PM
At least he's trying not to be a troll. Give the guy a little credit.

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2006, 12:21 PM
At least he's trying not to be a troll. Give the guy a little credit.
It is precisely BECAUSE he's been a troll that I'm not giving him any credit.

morphius
08-29-2006, 12:24 PM
I think that reposts that are still on the front page should be punished by getting their avatar changed to something like a dunce cap for a week.

Something like this, but Photoshopped to read "I will not repost" on the blackboard.

Fubar of the week awards is always something I thought would be funny, though some people are pretty anal about their avatar's. I mean really, where else are they going to see bouncing boobies or a big ass other then when they are checking themselves out in the mirror?

morphius
did I just say that?

08-29-2006, 12:26 PM
It is precisely BECAUSE he's been a troll that I'm not giving him any credit.
I'm not asking for credit..ask for no quarter..gave no quarter..you keep right on beating your chest!!! :)

08-29-2006, 12:28 PM

lol..I can photoshop!!!

StcChief
08-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Maybe Crapo can catch on with Dallas when TO whines outta town.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Would you guys knock all this Crap off and get down to some serious football discussion?

08-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Would you guys knock all this Crap off and get down to some serious football discussion?

very well..

a question to somebody with knowledge of the situation..

why was trent green so high on thorpe???

and why was he cut???

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 12:53 PM
very well..

a question to somebody with knowledge of the situation..

why was trent green so high on thorpe???

and why was he cut???Maybe because he was a teammate?

And, because he sucked.

morphius
08-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Maybe because he was a teammate?

And, because he sucked.
I think he may have had cuaght the same disease at FSU that Snoop had, it is a horrible disease that causes an inability to comprehend a playbook.

I'm just going off the stuff that Green said, you don't have that much talent just to get cut on a team searching for solution at WR.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 01:07 PM
I think he may have had cuaght the same disease at FSU that Snoop had, it is a horrible disease that causes an inability to comprehend a playbook.

I'm just going off the stuff that Green said, you don't have that much talent just to get cut on a team searching for solution at WR.When you say FSU, is that Florida State, or did the dummy come from my Alma Matter.

morphius
08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
When you say FSU, is that Florida State, or did the dummy come from my Alma Matter.
I think they are both from Florida State, I was guessing at the FSU for their abbreviation as I have a hard time caring about college sports.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 01:18 PM
I think they are both from Florida State, I was guessing at the FSU for their abbreviation as I have a hard time caring about college sports.When I was at college, it was pretty cool, but other than that, you are right.

chagrin
08-29-2006, 01:23 PM
When you say FSU, is that Florida State, or did the dummy come from my Alma Matter.

ROFL

that is f*cking funny, but not for the reason I'm sure you posted it.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 02:48 PM
ROFL

that is f*cking funny, but not for the reason I'm sure you posted it.I am glad you got it.

Self depricating humor, it is what I am good at. ;)