PDA

View Full Version : Home of the Chiefs. Great tradition, or terrible injustice?

Saulbadguy
08-29-2006, 01:13 PM
I was engaged in a heated "discussion" about this on another board, and many seem to think saying "Home of the Chiefs" is butchering the national anthem, and should not be done.

What say you, Chiefs fans?

JBucc
08-29-2006, 01:14 PM
They're just jealous they didn't think of it first

ChiefsfaninPA
08-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Whoever disagreed with you is and idiot and mad their franchise isn't doing themselves.

StcChief
08-29-2006, 01:16 PM
To much for the PC folks....Screw 'em
Home of the Chiefs.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-29-2006, 01:17 PM
I wish these people would take the sticks out of their asses so I could firmly replace them with logs.

Hoover
08-29-2006, 01:19 PM
The best national anthem I ever heard at Arrowhead was sung by N. Smith and 2 other D linemen. I love the home of the Chiefs. Its just great.

morphius
08-29-2006, 01:21 PM
It is one of those, I hate your team so it is butchering the anthem things. I'm sure a lot of the same people hated the beat the he** out of you chant as well.

It is pretty simple, butchering the anthem would be something meant to make humor of it and our nation. Yelling Chiefs does neither, and in fact, Chief is a higher rank then Brave, so it is really just upgrading it.

Dartgod
08-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Which board?

teedubya
08-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Yelling Chiefs does neither, and in fact, Chief is a higher rank then Brave, so it is really just upgrading it.

wow. morphius since 1995, makes a great point. Methinks this may be his FIRST great point.

[keanu reeves] Whoa. [/keanu reeves]

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2006, 01:25 PM
As a Chiefs fan, I think it's fun. As an American, I think it's disrespectful. As a musician, it ****ing drives me nuts. I also hate it (as a musician) when people start clapping before the actual end of the song.

ncognito
08-29-2006, 01:25 PM
It is one of those, I hate your team so it is butchering the anthem things. I'm sure a lot of the same people hated the beat the he** out of you chant as well.

It is pretty simple, butchering the anthem would be something meant to make humor of it and our nation. Yelling Chiefs does neither, and in fact, Chief is a higher rank then Brave, so it is really just upgrading it.

Exactly! Roseanne Barr anyone?

The Arrowhead version is an extension of honoring our country, it's called FREEDOM for those anal PC folks who've forgotten.

chagrin
08-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Doing it at a CHIEFS game at Arrowhead and for games only shouldn't be a problem. It's not like you want to sing it in Spanish or anything... :shrug:

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2006, 01:28 PM
... it's called FREEDOM for those anal PC folks who've forgotten.
I'm one of the least PC people around... and I still find it disrespectful.

Iowanian
08-29-2006, 01:28 PM
I'd counter that there isn't another stadium that cheers as loud for military honor guard or the flyovers.

Its a great tradition, stemming from free speach, appreaciation and honor of those who have made it possible.

Very, very few large public venues in the USA can compete with the honor of our military and flag as Arrowhead.

many a player has mentioned the intimidation of hearing 80k Chief fans Bellow "Chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiefs"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcQdRbp9KKs

Tell them to piss into a stiff wind.

Phobia
08-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Which board?
Phog.net?

ncognito
08-29-2006, 01:34 PM

But are you ok with some prima dona singer doing her trills and frills, dragging our anthem out for 10 minutes? This is fricking disrespectful, in my humble opinion. American freedom to congregate and enjoy our favorite sport, with nearly 80,000 strong voicing our 1st amendment rights is in direct homage of what founded this country! Not only is this a great Chiefs tradition, it is in fact patriotic!!

Brock
08-29-2006, 01:34 PM
we're gonna molest the hell out of you you you you you.

Saulbadguy
08-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Phog.net?
http://mb24.scout.com/fkansasinsiderfrm5.showMessage?topicID=15769.topic

Brock
08-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Oh....Scout. That explains it.

Halfcan
At leaast they got the Pledge of Allegiance out of the schools. School is no place to learn.

Chiefnj
The slight disrespect is outweighed by the fun and uniqueness of the chant. And yes, it is slightly disrespectful. The first game after 9/11 everyone said "brave" not "Chiefs" - why? Because it would have been disrespectful to say "Chiefs."

Iowanian
08-29-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm alot more offended when some asswipe doesn't remove their hat and continues to talk about whatever was on their burrito at the mall during a normal rendition of the anthem.

Worry about those assholes first, then talk to me about singing the anthem, and changing 1 word to a location relevant tradition.

Hammock Parties
08-29-2006, 01:57 PM
It's way too cool when 80,000 people yell Chiefs all at once. Sorry.

Ceej
08-29-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm getting sick of people stereotyping Chiefs fans. Claiming we're all zuba wearing rednecks. Gr.

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2006, 02:05 PM
I'd counter that there isn't another stadium that cheers as loud for military honor guard or the flyovers.

Its a great tradition, stemming from free speach, appreaciation and honor of those who have made it possible.

Very, very few large public venues in the USA can compete with the honor of our military and flag as Arrowhead.

many a player has mentioned the intimidation of hearing 80k Chief fans Bellow "Chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiefs"

Tell them to piss into a stiff wind.
Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting the people that yell CHIEFS at the end are really thinking about it or just following a tradition and mob mentality?

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2006, 02:06 PM
But are you ok with some prima dona singer doing her trills and frills, dragging our anthem out for 10 minutes? This is fricking disrespectful, in my humble opinion. American freedom to congregate and enjoy our favorite sport, with nearly 80,000 strong voicing our 1st amendment rights is in direct homage of what founded this country! Not only is this a great Chiefs tradition, it is in fact patriotic!!
As a matter of fact, I also believe the "melisma" and freedom most people take with the national anthem is disrespectful.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 02:06 PM

Tell them to piss into a stiff wind.Kind of like hallowed Indian Burial ground, or, there might be 80k arrows flying at them in a few minutes. Awesome. I hope to attend a game there this year if I have a good month of business.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 02:10 PM
As a matter of fact, I also believe the "melisma" and freedom most people take with the national anthem is disrespectful.You mean, like when a soul brotha or sista gets down with the "home of the free ee ee e eeeeyaaaa uh uhh, you been so good to meeeeeyaah, I feell aaaaaa ririiiiiight, yeah yeah, yeah yeah. And the hoooooo oh oooomah, of the braaaaa a aaahheeeeyeahyaaaaveeeuuuhghhuh.

you mean that? I hate that chit too.

Iowanian
Who is it really bothering? Are you seriously suggesting that you get sand kicked into your Giner because people start cheering when they see the B2s coming in at 1500' before the last note?

I've taken active duty soldiers to games, some on leave from war zones, who didn't mind yelling "chiefs".

Waaaaaaaah.

I'm far more insulted by the "artistic liberty and expression".

Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting the people that yell CHIEFS at the end are really thinking about it or just following a tradition and mob mentality?

Bwana
The pricks took away our TD song, nothing they can do about this.

The Dude Abides
08-29-2006, 02:13 PM
And who are we disrespecting, anyway? The only ones who could come close are veterans. Certainly not our leaders! This country is nothing what it once was. Government is run by corporations and special interests, the only reason they continue with senate and congress etc. is to keep people placated. Disrepect of the national anthem is the least of our worries.

Stinger
08-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Doing it at a CHIEFS game at Arrowhead and for games only shouldn't be a problem.

Apperently those who attended the Dallas game last year didn't get this memo, cause it was loud for an away game, lot of chief fans at that game. :D

sedated
08-29-2006, 02:41 PM
it's cool, and it's ours.

so f*ck 'em

Jilly
08-29-2006, 02:43 PM
"I'm about to go America, all over their asses!!"

Bob Dole
08-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Ask this person how they feel about Dallas being called "America's Team" for the past 20 years...

ncognito
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Ask this person how they feel about Dallas being called "America's Team" for the past 20 years...

Excellent point Senator!! That is disrespectful!

irishjayhawk
08-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Bob Dole raises a good point there. And I must add that anyone who finds that to be disrespectful is in line with those who though the Emmys intro was indecent. These people really need to consider their options.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 03:13 PM
And who are we disrespecting, anyway? The only ones who could come close are veterans. Certainly not our leaders! This country is nothing what it once was. Government is run by corporations and special interests, the only reason they continue with senate and congress etc. is to keep people placated. Disrepect of the national anthem is the least of our worries.You forgot to say Bush was da debil.

Hammock Parties
08-29-2006, 03:42 PM
i took my wife to her first game at arrowhead stadium last year(by the way it was against the eagles so it was kick ass at first, then sucked major balls) and she got really startled when we were singing the national anthem and everybody in the entire stadium screamed chiefs. of course i know it was coming, but didnt tell her. I feel that it isnt really mocking America, so its just fine. Too many damned liberals with picket signs up their asses.

leviw
08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
The Atlanta Braves started it.

HemiEd
08-29-2006, 04:02 PM
As a Chiefs fan, I think it's fun. As an American, I think it's disrespectful.

This is how I feel, but not strongly.

Raiderhater
08-29-2006, 05:58 PM
The slight disrespect is outweighed by the fun and uniqueness of the chant. And yes, it is slightly disrespectful. The first game after 9/11 everyone said "brave" not "Chiefs" - why? Because it would have been disrespectful to say "Chiefs."

This and Iowanian's posts pretty much say it all. When it comes right down to it, we show the due respect to the nation and those who have and are fighting for it.

Some how I doubt our forefathers would have much of an issue with the way we conduct our game day rituals.

Bearcat
08-29-2006, 06:05 PM
What's the point of singing it at domestic sporting events anyway? It's just another handed-down tradition that's lost any purpose that it ever (might have) had. My most patriotic moments certainly aren't after drinking beer in the parking lot for 3 hours getting pumped up for a football game. If anything, inserting Chiefs at the end makes it slightly more relevant.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 06:16 PM
i took my wife to her first game at arrowhead stadium last year(by the way it was against the eagles so it was kick ass at first, then sucked major balls) and she got really startled when we were singing the national anthem and everybody in the entire stadium screamed chiefs. of course i know it was coming, but didnt tell her. I feel that it isnt really mocking America, so its just fine. Too many damned liberals with picket signs up their asses.THis is never on the air when the game is broadcast, it is always on commerical. Does anyone have a clip of this that I can listen to?

Raiderhater
08-29-2006, 06:20 PM
THis is never on the air when the game is broadcast, it is always on commerical. Does anyone have a clip of this that I can listen to?

It wouldn't be the same, obviously. You really need to experience it first hand to truly appreciate it.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 06:25 PM
It wouldn't be the same, obviously. You really need to experience it first hand to truly appreciate it.The real secret to Carl Petersens marketing. lol

Skip Towne
08-29-2006, 06:33 PM
On a scale of one to ten......YOU'RE AND IDIOT.

Frazod
08-29-2006, 06:43 PM
THis is never on the air when the game is broadcast, it is always on commerical. Does anyone have a clip of this that I can listen to?
We'd have to host an AFC Championship game in order to actually have it broadcast. Sounds good, but somehow I don't see it happening any time soon. In normal games, there is always a commercial aired while it's sung - this is called burying the anthem.

As for the CHIEFS chant at the end, well, I can understand why it bothers fans of other teams. Honestly, if another team did it and we didn't, I'd probably be offended, so I guess on this point I'm a big fat hypocrit. But I don't care. It's ours, and I like it. F#ck 'em.

Iowanian
08-29-2006, 06:46 PM
The link I posted above is to the youtube video of the national anthem I took last year.

Bob Dole
08-29-2006, 06:53 PM
We'd have to host an AFC Championship game in order to actually have it broadcast. Sounds good, but somehow I don't see it happening any time soon. In normal games, there is always a commercial aired while it's sung - this is called burying the anthem.

Isn't that disrespectful behavior on the part of the networks? Preempting the National Anthem for the Almighty Dollar?

Bob Dole is incensed!

Deberg_1990
08-29-2006, 07:19 PM
I think its cool, but ill admit it does make me slightly uncomfortable. Especially when im actullly there at a game. I dont have a problem with other people doing it, but i wont do it.

CrazyHorse
08-29-2006, 08:15 PM

As for the CHIEFS chant at the end, well, I can understand why it bothers fans of other teams. Honestly, if another team did it and we didn't, I'd probably be offended, so I guess on this point I'm a big fat hypocrit. But I don't care. It's ours, and I like it. F#ck 'em.

The last game of last seaon against the Bengals was aired on the NFL Network as one of the "games of the week". In that broadcast, the "home of the Chiefs" version was played.

BTW, Vermiel was singing the Anthem and said home of the Chiefs as well.

As for the "right or wrong" of the whole issue.

It's a free country.

If I were at any other function, I would sing the word brave. However, you're in Arrowhead stadium. Frankly, it's the Home of the Chiefs.

Skip Towne
08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Bob Dole is incensed!
Not me I'm just all pissed off.

Marcellus
08-29-2006, 08:53 PM
I think its cool, but ill admit it does make me slightly uncomfortable. Especially when im actullly there at a game. I dont have a problem with other people doing it, but i wont do it.

Here is the beauty of America. Deberg doesn't care for it,cool with me.

I am a veteran. My father, grandfather, great grandfather and great great grandfather are veterans who have faught in the Civil War, WWI, WWII and Vietnam. I have been to Iraq fighting for the Red, White and Blue. I am seriously attached (emotionally) to the history of our country. I get pissed anytime anyone disrespects the flag...........

..... and I absolutely LOVE being at Arrowhead and hearing "the home of the Chiefs!" during the national anthem.

You know what's great about that?

I can F@#%ing love it because I am in America when it happens.

And that is the beauty of being an American.....and a Chiefs fan.

WilliamTheIrish
08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
It's phlog.net. What did you expect?

I'm surprised you weren't banned for non conformist thinking, Saul.

Bwana
08-29-2006, 09:21 PM
The link I posted above is to the youtube video of the national anthem I took last year.

That is........SWEET! :toast:

wazu
08-29-2006, 11:26 PM
I actually find it more disrespectful that the players don't come on the field until after the national anthem. I don't know when that changed, but it's just wrong.

MyChiefConcern
08-30-2006, 12:03 AM
I think the negative reaction was probably mostly because it was you, Saul.

Or rather, your collegiate affiliation.

teedubya
08-30-2006, 01:15 AM
IM still amazed that Morphius since 1995, made a GREAT point.

CoMoChief
08-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Big ****in deal its a god damn game. A GAME!!!

Inspector
08-30-2006, 05:52 AM
Wow, some people keep their "I'm offended" radar on high all the time.

I would suggest using fabric softener when washing their underwear..... Instead of that starch they keep pouring in.

Bob Dole
08-30-2006, 06:13 AM
Wow, some people keep their "I'm offended" radar on high all the time.

I would suggest using fabric softener when washing their underwear..... Instead of that starch they keep pouring in.

Bob Dole is offended that you would encourage the use of something that is so damaging to the environment (not to mention a life-threatening fire hazard when used with cotton, terry cloth or velvet fabrics).

Fabric softeners contain many substances that may also be harmful to people and the environment. These may include Benzyl Acetate which has been linked to pancreatic cancer; Benzyl Alcohol, which is irritating to the upper respiratory tract; ethanol, which is on the EPA Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders; Limonene, which is carcinogenic; and a-Terpineol, which can cause respiratory problems, even fatal edema, and central nervous system damage. Liquid fabric softeners often contain formaldehyde.

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 06:30 AM
On a scale of one to ten......YOU'RE AND IDIOT.
You know... when you were gone. I didn't miss you. As a matter of fact, I'm going to test a hypothesis: If I put Skip Towne on ignore, I suspect I won't miss him. Within seven days, I suspect I will have forgotten that he is on ignore. I will still not miss him. We'll see right now if my suspicions are correct. Forgive me if I forget to report my progress... it probably means my hypothesis was true. FTR, Skip Towne is now in good company... just him and recycle. Anyone remember that asshat?

Skip Towne
08-30-2006, 07:15 AM
You know... when you were gone. I didn't miss you. As a matter of fact, I'm going to test a hypothesis: If I put Skip Towne on ignore, I suspect I won't miss him. Within seven days, I suspect I will have forgotten that he is on ignore. I will still not miss him. We'll see right now if my suspicions are correct. Forgive me if I forget to report my progress... it probably means my hypothesis was true. FTR, Skip Towne is now in good company... just him and recycle. Anyone remember that asshat?
I'll just quote myself a lot. That will foil your carefully crafted plan.

Skip Towne
08-30-2006, 07:16 AM
See how that works?

Dartgod
08-30-2006, 07:18 AM
See how that works?
I think someone else needs to quote you for him to see the posts.

For a small fee, I'll be one of your minions.

Skip Towne
08-30-2006, 07:21 AM

Well shit! OK, you're on. You'll make a great minion.

Dartgod
08-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Well shit! OK, you're on. You'll make a great minion.
That will be $1.00 please...

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 07:24 AM

He's right. The internet sure is tricky.

Inspector
08-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Bob Dole is offended that you would encourage the use of something that is so damaging to the environment (not to mention a life-threatening fire hazard when used with cotton, terry cloth or velvet fabrics).

Fabric softeners contain many substances that may also be harmful to people and the environment. These may include Benzyl Acetate which has been linked to pancreatic cancer; Benzyl Alcohol, which is irritating to the upper respiratory tract; ethanol, which is on the EPA Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders; Limonene, which is carcinogenic; and a-Terpineol, which can cause respiratory problems, even fatal edema, and central nervous system damage. Liquid fabric softeners often contain formaldehyde.

Dang!!

No more soft underwear?

That's going to be rough.

Chief Chief
08-30-2006, 07:26 AM
AFTER the correct last word of the song is sung, the PA announcer should then say (building up) "GoooOOOOOOH..", immediately followed by 72,000 fans yelling "CHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFS!!"

Chief Chief
08-30-2006, 07:28 AM
...and then repeat 2 more times (w/o the song, of course)...

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 07:28 AM
AFTER the correct last word of the song is sung, the PA announcer should then say (building up) "GoooOOOOOOH..", immediately followed by 72,000 fans yelling "CHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFS!!"
According to Skip, you'd be and idiot on a scale of 1 to 10 for thinking the National Anthem should be sung the way it was written. Because with all this freedom stuff we keep hearing about, you and I don't have the FREEDOM to think what we want and to be slightly offended by the wrong words.

Dartgod
08-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Years ago, they would have the cheerleaders hold up signs, with one side of the stadium chanting "GO!", and then the other side would yell, "CHIEFS!". The would do that back and forth several times before kickoff. I always thought it was pretty cool and never understood why they quit doing it.

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Who is it really bothering? Are you seriously suggesting that you get sand kicked into your Giner because people start cheering when they see the B2s coming in at 1500' before the last note?

I've taken active duty soldiers to games, some on leave from war zones, who didn't mind yelling "chiefs".

Waaaaaaaah.

I'm far more insulted by the "artistic liberty and expression".
Did you not read my post? I said that as a Chiefs fan I think it's a fun tradition... does that sound like I'm getting "sand kicked into my Giner"? I am somewhat amused by the people around here attacking the few of us who think the "tradition" is slightly disrespectful by quoting First Amendment rights. Is it not my first amendment right to think it's wrong and say so? Drop the Constitution BS... it can easily be turned around right back at you. It equally protects the majority and minority.

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 07:34 AM
You mean, like when a soul brotha or sista gets down with the "home of the free ee ee e eeeeyaaaa uh uhh, you been so good to meeeeeyaah, I feell aaaaaa ririiiiiight, yeah yeah, yeah yeah. And the hoooooo oh oooomah, of the braaaaa a aaahheeeeyeahyaaaaveeeuuuhghhuh.

you mean that? I hate that chit too.
Yes. I mean that... however, I'd point out that a whole lot more than "soul brotha or sista" does that shit. It's a style that is running rampant throughout music today.

Florida_Bronco
08-30-2006, 07:44 AM
I really don't like the last word being changed at all, but it's more of a personal preference, I don't get all asshurt if it happens.

I have to agree with Iowanian here, the people who keep talking and generally ignoring the National Anthem is what pisses me off, not changing that 1 word.

Saulbadguy
08-30-2006, 07:54 AM
I think the negative reaction was probably mostly because it was you, Saul.

Or rather, your collegiate affiliation.
I suspect as much, but it turned out to be a hilarious thread.

Iowanian
08-30-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm not attacking your right to have an opinion whatsoever. It just so happens that my opinion is that people with opinions like yours on this topic, are acting vaginal, in a silicosis kind of way.

vagisilicosis is the leading cause of fun being taken out of most things. It has far more harmful side effects than bob dole's spring rain scented Dollar General brand, fabric sheets.

Did you not read my post? I said that as a Chiefs fan I think it's a fun tradition... does that sound like I'm getting "sand kicked into my Giner"? I am somewhat amused by the people around here attacking the few of us who think the "tradition" is slightly disrespectful by quoting First Amendment rights. Is it not my first amendment right to think it's wrong and say so? Drop the Constitution BS... it can easily be turned around right back at you. It equally protects the majority and minority.

Demonpenz
08-30-2006, 09:40 AM
It was ment to be a spoken poem anyway

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm not attacking your right to have an opinion whatsoever. It just so happens that my opinion is that people with opinions like yours on this topic, are acting vaginal, in a silicosis kind of way.

vagisilicosis is the leading cause of fun being taken out of most things. It has far more harmful side effects than bob dole's spring rain scented Dollar General brand, fabric sheets.
That's understandable... I do want to state for the record that when I'm at a Chiefs game, I'm a Chiefs fan first and foremost, followed by an American and then a musician. As such, I sing Chiefs at the end, too. But I will never melisma.

Dartgod
08-30-2006, 09:54 AM
But I will never melisma.
WTF is melisma?

dtebbe
08-30-2006, 09:59 AM
I think it's cool. Here in Atlanta there used to be a minor league hockey team called the Knights. They left town before the NHL thrashers came in. As you can imagine, most of the native Thrasher fans used to be Kinghts fans. Well at the Knights games they used to say "gave proof through the KNIGHTS! that our flag was still there". It's pretty cool because the fans still do that at the Thrasher games. I guess it's the way to show you're not some noob' transplanet yankee or something. (And believe me, that's important here :) )

IMHO, freedom is freedom. I don't really think people should burn flags, but hey that's thier deal. Having served in the military, the flag has a deeper meaning to me than most, and I really feel sorry for people who don't get that same feeling. BUT, it's thier right to burn it if they want to. That being said, I'm yelling home of the CHIEFS, because that's my right and I've served to protect that right. And I still get goosebumps from any low level flyover.

On the subject of flyovers, still to this day the best one I've seen was at Atlanta Motor Speedway, a B1 came over the East stands at about 500' off the ground, and at the middle of the oval pulled up at about a 60 degree angle and poured the coals to the engines. When I say it shook the place, well those words just don't describe what it felt like. That is one BIG, FAST plane.

DT

Predarat
08-30-2006, 10:02 AM
I think it's cool. Here in Atlanta there used to be a minor league hockey team called the Knights. They left down before the NHL thrashers came in. As you can imagine, most of the native Thrasher fans used to be Kinghts fans. Well at the Knights games they used to say "gave proof through the KNIGHTS! that our flag was still there". It's pretty cool because the fans still do that at the Thrasher games. I guess it's the way to show you're not some noob' transplanet yankee or something. (And believe me, that's important here :) )

DT
The minor league team in Wichita does what the Chiefs do. The home of the THUNDER!! Most of them are Chiefs fans as well so they also do the 'were gonna beat the hell out of you' chant.

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 10:02 AM
WTF is melisma?
Think about how most pop singers sing today... Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears... all the trills and "artistic license" they take moving from note to note. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melisma

Dartgod
08-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Think about how most pop singers sing today... Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears... all the trills and "artistic license" they take moving from note to note. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melisma
I don't listen to that crap, but I understand the meaning now. Thanks...

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 10:09 AM
I don't listen to that crap, but I understand the meaning now. Thanks...
I don't either. But nearly everyone that sings the national anthem nowadays, from high school crooners at basketball games to jazz artists at Arrowhead, uses melisma as a technique. And I ****ing hate it.

DJJasonp
08-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Years ago, they would have the cheerleaders hold up signs, with one side of the stadium chanting "GO!", and then the other side would yell, "CHIEFS!". The would do that back and forth several times before kickoff. I always thought it was pretty cool and never understood why they quit doing it.

I remember that....that was very intense and intimidating (and of course, very loud).

They should totally bring that back....it was a great way to start the game....

Lzen
08-30-2006, 10:51 AM
we're gonna molest the hell out of you you you you you.

ROFL

Mr. Laz
08-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Posted on Wed, Aug. 30, 2006

Longtime fan prefers ‘home of the brave’

JEFFREY FLANAGAN
The Kansas City Star

Previous columns
Longtime Chiefs fan Hayden Abbott wants you to know he’s not a prude and he’s not interested in taking the fun out of Arrowhead Stadium.

But Abbott thinks it’s time Chiefs fans end their tradition of ad-libbing “Chiefs” to “home of the brave” during the national anthem. Abbott wants to start a campaign to stop the ad-lib, and he even called the Chiefs about it, though there wouldn’t seem to be a lot the Chiefs can do to prevent 78,000 people from singing whatever they want.

“I just think it’s disrespectful to change the word to ‘Chiefs,’ ” said Abbott, 70, an Air Force veteran.

“And I love the Chiefs. I’ve had season tickets ever since the Chiefs came here, and I have a great time out there. I tailgate and have a few ‘pops’ just like everyone else. But I think that’s one tradition that we need to change.”

Abbott, who incidentally played on the great Kansas State basketball teams in the late 1950s, can’t exactly remember when the tradition of altering the anthem started.

But it is believed to have happened in 1993 when Joe Montana’s good friend, Huey Lewis, sang the national anthem before a Chiefs home game and belted out “home of the CHIEFS!” instead of “home of the brave.”

“We live in a great country, and we need to respect what people have done to make it great,” Abbott said. “They were brave people, and we dishonor them by changing the words. I’m sure people will think I’m just some crazy guy complaining, but I know a lot of people who feel the same way I do and just don’t want to say anything.”

Chiefs fans did show some patriotism back in 2001 during the first few games after Sept. 11, 2001. For a while, about 80 percent of the fans sang “brave” instead of “Chiefs.” But it didn’t last.

“Maybe there’s nothing we can do about it anymore,” Abbott said. “But I’d sure like to try.”

Cheer the Saints

Oh, and there’s one more request for Chiefs fans to consider, this week being the anniversary of Katrina.

KCMO (94.9 FM) disc jockey Dave Munday, who is filling in for Dick Wilson this week, thinks it would be a great idea if Chiefs fans this Thursday night gave the New Orleans Saints a standing ovation when they come out of the tunnel.

Munday reasons that would be a great way to salute the Saints for all they’ve been through in the last year and besides “after the kickoff, then Chiefs fans can boo them all they want.”

Zvosec’s future

UMKC coach Rich Zvosec is in the final year of his contract, and he’s about to have a new boss (a new athletic director).

But we hear Zvosec is about to get a contract extension in the next week or so. No word from the coach on the matter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To reach Jeffrey Flanagan, call (816) 234-4492 or send e-mail to jflanagan@kcstar.com

Chiefnj
08-30-2006, 11:20 AM
"But it is believed to have happened in 1993 when Joe Montana’s good friend, Huey Lewis, sang the national anthem before a Chiefs home game and belted out “home of the CHIEFS!” instead of “home of the brave.”"

Cool trivia. Huey Lewis hates America.

GoodDaySir!
08-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Wow, you actually had to post to poll of this to know what the answer would be on a Chiefs board?

Let's make a "who's your favorite team" poll next!

mcan
08-30-2006, 01:04 PM
I posted this a very long time ago when some troll named "Falstaff" came on here and called us all racist... It started out as a ruse to get the board to hate him, but it ended up being a pretty cool debate. This thread is one of the reasons why I actively pursue getting everything merged back into the lounge, but I digress...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-17910

I know those guys are long gone, but for what it's worth...

Let's start with the term "racist":
It's not racist to like the Chiefs or the Braves or to LIKE anything else. It's racist when you HATE some one because of their race. Stereotyping is something totally different altogether. Racists believe they would be better off if the other "race(s)" would go away or die off. Surely you would agree that the Chiefs or any other sports organization is in no way supporting this belief. Racists are prone to violence, not football.

Next up... Stereotyping:
Let's start off with a lesson about what makes up "bad" stereotypes. Take trailer parks for example. Two major stereotypes exist. One, low income white people that listen to ACDC and Lynard Skynard live there. That is clearly a derogatory stereotype. Two, that trailer parks are frequently hit by tornadoes. (not derogatory)
The stereotype of an indian having a headress and wearing warpaint and hanging around with other indians in a tribe and one of them being the chief is not derogatory. It's just a portrayal. The stereotype of indians prancing around a fire going "woo woo" and scalping innocent people, now that is derogatory. So your beef isn't with sports franchises it's with old Hollywood movies.

Next, a lesson in the English language and the importance of context.

Several times in this thread you have made known your frustrations with us on the board taking your comments out of context. So you know the importance of what is said isn't as important as WHY it is said. Moreover, in pro sports, the indian names and mascots etc... are used in the context of comradary and sportsmanship, not to mach or poke fun at the american indians or their culture. To take it that way is as bad as us taking your well meant comments out of context.

Also, I see your point about some people being offended anyway. I am not so biggoted that I just say that it's their problem. Out of respect for you, I would not go to your house for dinner and wear my Chiefs sweater if I knew you felt this way. The same way I will only do the "chop" at Chiefs games in the context of football and sports. I would NEVER drive by a reservation and do the "chop" That would be totally inapropriate and VERY offensive. The same way, if I was at the Vietnam Memorial I would not sing ... and the home of the CHIEFS. That would be very offensive to the men who died for my freedom. However, I will screem CHIEFS at the top of my lungs at Arrowhead stadium because, I am glad that in this country, I can go root for these guys instead of getting up in the morning to throw rocks at the tanks in my front yard.

By the way, there are no teams called the "white men" or the "black guys" because those ethnic groups are too wide spread to be powerful symbols. If white people travled together in small, tight knit groups than you would probably see those titles in sports too. Consider: gypsies, nomads, pirates, indians, cowboys, outlaws, sodiers, infantry, etc... all of these are smaller groups and all would be/are fine names for teams except maybe gypsies: sounds too feminine, but you get the point.

fan4ever
08-30-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't know if it's right or wrong, but a few years ago, when the Cardinals where playing the Chiefs (49-0) I came out with a couple of Cardinal buds for my inaugural trip to Arrowhead. When the fans did the "...home of the CHIEFS" chills went down my spine, and my two buddies had looks on their faces like they crapped their pants. Don't change it . . . and I'm about as patriotic as anybody.

PunkinDrublic
08-31-2006, 12:55 AM
It's an awesome tradition it's one of the special moments of going to see the Chiefs play. It's also a lot of fun doing it at another teams stadium getting dirty looks from people as you high five other Chiefs fans.

Is it disrespectful to do it at other sporting events and not just Chiefs games?

Bob Dole
08-31-2006, 05:58 AM
KCMO (94.9 FM) disc jockey Dave Munday, who is filling in for Dick Wilson this week, thinks it would be a great idea if Chiefs fans this Thursday night gave the New Orleans Saints a standing ovation when they come out of the tunnel.

Bob Dole wonders what it would sound like if 78000 people just blew really hard?

jspchief
08-31-2006, 06:39 AM
Does anyone think that fans are doing it with malice or hatred for the US? There has to be something said for the intent of it. It's not like it's a protest against America or something.

Besides, America is the home of the Chiefs.

Fire Me Boy!
08-31-2006, 06:55 AM
Does anyone think that fans are doing it with malice or hatred for the US? There has to be something said for the intent of it. It's not like it's a protest against America or something.

Besides, America is the home of the Chiefs.
No... but I still think it's somewhat disrespectful that by cheering CHIEFS we are ignoring the thousands of men and women who have bravely fought and died for the freedoms we enjoy today. I don't think it's intentional... I just think the people doing it (myself included) are more concerned with a "tradition" than the meaning and history behind our national anthem.

But I reiterate -- when I'm there, I'm screaming CHIEFS along with 77,999 other crazy mother****ers.

Brock
08-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Drama queen.

Skip Towne
08-31-2006, 07:17 AM
Drama queen.
Exactly.

greg63
08-31-2006, 07:22 AM
No... but I still think it's somewhat disrespectful that by cheering CHIEFS we are ignoring the thousands of men and women who have bravely fought and died for the freedoms we enjoy today. I don't think it's intentional... I just think the people doing it (myself included) are more concerned with a "tradition" than the meaning and history behind our national anthem.

But I reiterate -- when I'm there, I'm screaming CHIEFS along with 77,999 other crazy mother****ers.

Then why comment?

jspchief
08-31-2006, 07:29 AM
Is it any more offensive than the government choosing to amend the Pledge of Allegiance?

Dartgod
08-31-2006, 07:44 AM
Exactly.
You owe me two dollars now.

Saulbadguy
08-31-2006, 07:45 AM
I got a PM on this subject, and that person said that before WWII, the Star Spangled Banner wasn't even played at sporting events.

Skip, can you verify this?

jspchief
08-31-2006, 07:47 AM
I got a PM on this subject, and that person said that before WWII, the Star Spangled Banner wasn't even played at sporting events.

Skip, can you verify this?Skip remembers the Star Spangled Banner before the "bombs bursting in mid-air" part happened.

Fire Me Boy!
08-31-2006, 08:02 AM
You owe me two dollars now.
I'll pay you $2 for every post of his you don't quote. Or, I could just put you on iggy, too. :p

Fire Me Boy!
08-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Then why comment?
Playing devil's advocate and giving the reasoning behind the disrespect. Is it not OK to understand the issue and discuss it when a question is raised?

Iowanian
08-31-2006, 08:06 AM
If you dislike it, but still do it, you're a hypocrite and a drama queen.

Fire Me Boy!
08-31-2006, 08:12 AM
If you dislike it, but still do it, you're a hypocrite and a drama queen.
As others have said, I find it "somewhat" disrespectful, I'm not terribly bothered by it. I'm sure others on this board and everywhere are somewhat torn between what they think is fun and what they think is "right." And sometimes people choose to do what is fun. Maybe even you, O Great Iowanian. Maybe not in your world where blacks are blacks, whites are whites and there are no grays.

Iowanian
08-31-2006, 08:24 AM
"IF" sport..."IF".

keep jumping up and down and maybe that sand will begin to dislodge.

Fire Me Boy!
08-31-2006, 08:27 AM
"IF" sport..."IF".

keep jumping up and down and maybe that sand will begin to dislodge.
When did I say "if", Tiger?

Iowanian
08-31-2006, 08:28 AM
I did, scooter.

Please continue with today's martyrdom.

Fire Me Boy!
08-31-2006, 08:29 AM
And why do you keep implying I'm upset by this? How many times have I said I'm not terribly offended by it? I'm simply arguing my side. Do you whip out the sand in the giner argument when someone disagrees with you?

Fire Me Boy!
08-31-2006, 08:30 AM
I did, scooter.

Please continue with today's martyrdom.
My apologies... I thought you were directing your comment at me since it came immediately following my post.

Bob Dole
08-31-2006, 10:13 AM

Skip, can you verify this?

First, it is important to note that there was no official national anthem until the 1930s. During World War I, however, President Wilson declared the "Star Spangled Banner" the unofficial national anthem, and the intense display of public patriotism during this period led to it being played on many public occasions.

It is generally accepted that its first appearance during a sporting event was the 1918 World Series. To demonstrate major league patriotism, baseball teams had the players march in formation during pre-game military drills while carrying bats on their shoulders. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one, when the band spontaneously began to play the "Star Spangled Banner," the Cubs and Red Sox players stood at attention facing the centerfield flag pole. The crowd sang along and applauded when the singing ended.

Given this reaction in Chicago, the "Star Spangled Banner" was played during the seventh-inning stretch for the next two games. When the Series moved to Boston, the great theatrical Red Sox owner Harry Frazee pumped up the show biz: He brought in a band, and the song was played before the start of each game.

When the war ended, the song continued to be played, but only on special occasions when a band was present -- such as opening day, special holidays or the World Series. On opening day in Washington, D.C., it was played before the president of the United States, and local politicians in other cities learned to participate in the events.

The "Star Spangled Banner" was finally declared the official national anthem in 1931. Even though by 1934 some ballparks had public address systems, it still was not played at every game. The coming of war in the late 1930s changed all of that. During the 1939-40 National Hockey League season, the Canadian anthem was played at games in Canadian cities as Canada was already at war. Then the practice spread to Madison Square Garden and from there it was transferred from hockey to baseball.

In 1940, with the fighting underway in earnest and America becoming more conscious of the possibility of war, there was increased talk of the need to hear the national anthem before all baseball games. This was suggested by The Sporting News in June, while at the same time the president of the International League called for the anthem to be played in U.S. league cities, as was already being done in Canadian cities. By 1941, the practice of playing the anthem before sporting events had achieved nearly universal status. At some games the pledge of allegiance was added, and, by 1941, "I Am an American Day" became a feature at major league parks.

Source (http://www.poppolitics.com/articles/printerfriendly/2003-02-28-flagprotest.shtml)

greg63
08-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Playing devil's advocate and giving the reasoning behind the disrespect. Is it not OK to understand the issue and discuss it when a question is raised?

Hey knock yer-self out. :D

I love this thread! LMAO