PDA

View Full Version : Truck part question

Lzen
08-29-2006, 02:23 PM
My wife backed out my 2003 F150 into a drainage ditch the other day. The front mounting bracket on the running board broke. I've called the dealership and they say that you have to buy the whole kit (running board, bolts, and 3 mounting brackets). Anyone know of a place that I can get just a mounting bracket? I'm checking local salvage yards now, but not any luck so far.

Baby Lee
08-29-2006, 02:25 PM
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=f-150+%22running+board%22+bracket&category0=

:shrug:

redbrian
08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
My guess is that your hosed, your best bet rip those board off both sides.

StcChief
08-29-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't like running boards. for short people

Lzen
08-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Heh, thanks. Never even thought about ebay. I would like to get something locally so that I can get it repaired asap. But I'll keep ebay in mind.

Dartgod
08-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Are they factory or aftermarket running boards?

I'll bet they're aftermarket. That's why the dealer can't get individual parts. Find out who the manufacturer is and contact them directly.

Oh, yeah. I believe this is grounds for divorce as well.

Bwana
08-29-2006, 02:31 PM
First of all, WTF were you thinking letting your wife drive your man machine? :shake:

I would go to http://www.car-part.com/

or, find out who makes the running board kit and call them directly. The dealership is trying to give you the high hard one by trying to get you to buy the whole thing..

Bwana
08-29-2006, 02:32 PM

I'll bet they're aftermarket. That's why the dealer can't get individual parts. Find out who the manufacturer is and contact them directly.

Drat! You are a fast one Bob!! :hmmm:

Lzen
08-29-2006, 02:32 PM

Oh, yeah. I believe this is grounds for divorce as well.

I believe they are factory, but I'm not 100% positive. They do have the Ford emblem molded in the rubber anti slip pad on the top.

StcChief
08-29-2006, 02:34 PM
I believe they are factory, but I'm not 100% positive. They do have the Ford emblem molded in the rubber anti slip pad on the top.
Take a bracket to wielding shop have them make one..
that wont be cheap. but would work.

Lzen
08-29-2006, 02:36 PM
First of all, WTF were you thinking letting your wife drive your man machine? :shake:

I would go to http://www.car-part.com/

or, find out who makes the running board kit and call them directly. The dealership is trying to give you the high hard one by trying to get you to buy the whole thing..

Lol, I had no choice. I was hammered Saturday night. No freakin' way I was driving.

The dealership was actually pretty cool about it. He looked up the one that I thought it was (just called them) and said he was surprised that this particular one they actually sold the bracket individually. He said it was $58. He said most of the time, they come in a kit. The problem is that after I went back outside to look at them, I think I gave him the wrong decription. I thought they were more flat, but they are actually tube shaped (which was his first thought) - well, oval tube shaped.

I'll check that site you posted. Thanks.

Bob Dole
08-29-2006, 05:06 PM
...I think I gave him the wrong decription. I thought they were more flat, but they are actually tube shaped (which was his first thought) - well, oval tube shaped.

As you search, it might help if you looked for nerf bar brackets instead of running board brackets.

WARPARTY70
08-29-2006, 06:03 PM
My wife backed out my 2003 F150 into a drainage ditch the other day. The front mounting bracket on the running board broke. I've called the dealership and they say that you have to buy the whole kit (running board, bolts, and 3 mounting brackets). Anyone know of a place that I can get just a mounting bracket? I'm checking local salvage yards now, but not any luck so far.
Give me your last 8 #s of vin and I'll check for you . I have a friend who work for a Ford dealership. He owed a favor

PastorMikH
08-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Take a bracket to wielding shop have them make one..
that wont be cheap. but would work.

Actually, it shouldnt' cost to much to have the bracket re-welded.

Or, if you have a friend with a welder AND HE CAN ACTUALLY WELD, you could just ask him to weld it.

Lzen
08-30-2006, 09:46 AM
As you search, it might help if you looked for nerf bar brackets instead of running board brackets.

I noticed nerf bar brackets listings as I was searching the web for parts. WTF is a nerf bar?

Lzen
08-30-2006, 09:50 AM
BTW, I can't find anything at a local salvage. Most of them don't even have trucks that new or with running boards.

I went over to the Ford dealership this morning. The parts guy was very helpful. He showed me his listing on the computer. The one that looks like mine (keep in mind these are black and white diagrams, not high quality pics) and said it was chrome colored running board came in only the whole kit - running board, 3 brackets, and bolts.

But
We looked at the one that was listed as black colored for the same model and style of truck. The pic looked like the bracket was the same. And this one was available to order just the bracket. So, he did that for me and we are hoping that it will fit. It will cost $52 and he's supposed to call me when it comes in. He said it should be a couple days. If it doesn't fit, I'm not out anything. Ford will just have an extra bracket in their parts storage. :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

jspchief
08-30-2006, 09:52 AM
I noticed nerf bar brackets listings as I was searching the web for parts. WTF is a nerf bar?A nerf bar is a tubular bar that mounts like a running board.

http://www.runningboardworld.com/nasta-nerf-bars/nasta-nerf-bars-images/nasta028-index.jpg

Lzen
08-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Give me your last 8 #s of vin and I'll check for you . I have a friend who work for a Ford dealership. He owed a favor

3CA20390

Lzen
08-30-2006, 10:02 AM
A nerf bar is a tubular bar that mounts like a running board.

http://www.runningboardworld.com/nasta-nerf-bars/nasta-nerf-bars-images/nasta028-index.jpg

Hmm, that might be what mine are. They are tubular (oval tube, not perfectly round) shaped.

Bwana
08-30-2006, 10:07 AM
To bad you're not a little closer, I would either weld it for you or I'm sure it would easy to make something that would work and look nice.