PDA

View Full Version : For KU Fans

FloridaMan88
08-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Looks like KU may have lucked out with Micah Downs transferring... dude appears to be a headcase

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/basketball/ncaa/

This is the strangest story I've read all summer. In the Aug. 24 issues of the Lawrence Journal-World, Tom Keegan wrote a column after receiving an unsolicited phone call from the father of ex-Jayhawk forward Micah Downs, who transferred to Gonzaga midway through his freshman season. Steven Downs wanted to make a clarification, in the press, that when his eldest son left KU, it wasn't Bill Self's fault.

"It wasn't Bill at all," Steven Downs alleged in the LJ-W. It was Micah's own fault, man. You can't blame the coach or the staff."

Papa Downs then went on to pledge an awkward allegiance to the Jayhawks, rather than Micah. He told Keegan that he wishes Micah would've stayed in Lawrence, and that he still wants his other son, Steven Jr., a prep sophomore, to play for the Jayhawks. "I want everyone to know how much our family appreciated Bill Self and Kansas University," Steven said. "I feel like I owe you guys a basketball player. If I could afford it, I'd be coming down to Kansas for every game. I've been a Kansas fan all my life. I still wear my Kansas Jayhawk cap. We still have our Kansas Jayhawk flag hanging up in our room."

Now, here's the real stunner: The reason there is no objection to all the KU paraphernalia still hanging in the Downs household ... is because Micah no longer has a relationship with his parents. Tough for pops, then, to know the whole truth.

"He hasn't spoken to me for months now," Steven said of Micah in the LJ-W. "We have personal issues because of his girlfriend. I never approved of her."

A very sad tale. And unfortunate, I think, that it had to be aired through the press.

SPchief
08-30-2006, 12:32 AM
File this under the "I don't give a **** folder"

Spicy McHaggis
08-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Rush is playing this year, Micah would be coming off the bench anyway.

CoMoChief
08-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Rush is playing this year, Micah would be coming off the bench anyway.

Yep. Or Galindo.

Oh wait.......

Anyong Bluth
08-30-2006, 01:39 AM
shock, I've yet to hear a player that has transferred that has a bad word to say. Galindo was in the Kansan saying he missed a lot about KU and what not. Most players that have been "run off" according to the Self detractors have said that they felt they just weren't getting the playing time, and since then have realize their shit didn't smell quite like roses. You can disagree with the fact that Self will recruit over a player, but he's always been upfront about the fact that you have earn your place at the table. Shock, just like any other job, but people want to give these kids a pass. I mostly credit the negative press to fans of opposing teams looking to make something out of nothing.

Dealing w/ 17-22 year old kids is a rather fickle and sticky situation. Love or hate KU, Self has been more than straight up with his stance with his players. Even Langford, who had a falling out with Self towards the of his tenure, has recanted on his beef and lately been vocally Pro-Self.

Fact is many people envy the fact the guy is simply happy doing what he does and has a natural gift to connect with his players / recruits.

Braincase
08-30-2006, 05:50 AM
It's the curse of the poonanny. Micah mistook a hummer for love. If dumbass would've just cut the ties to his girlfriend in Wash, he would've had an line up to his dorm room that would've brought a tear to MOHillbilly's eye.

Hound333
08-30-2006, 06:14 AM
I am not a fan of his father or him. His father was the one saying "my son might decide to go pro instead" the whole time we were recruiting him. Stevo Downs has another young son and said in the interview he hopes his son goes to Kansas. He did this interview so his younger son would be looked at by Self. He knew that after Micah most of the KU fans would backlash any recruiting of a second Downs

jidar
08-30-2006, 06:30 AM
What a messed up family.
I don't want his other son either... well unless he turns out to be the reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain.

Lzen
08-30-2006, 07:17 AM
I think we all figured Micah Downs was a headcase when he decided to transfer.

Hey man, this is football season. Too soon to be talking KU hoops.

HC_Chief
08-30-2006, 07:33 AM
the kid is pussywhipped. It was widely known he was transferring back to the left coast to be close to his girlfriend.

No need to bash the family for that. The kid made his decision. Both parties have moved on. The Lawrence Journal World should do the same (HA! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA! Yeah, right... like that will ever happen!)

Skip Towne
08-30-2006, 07:42 AM
What a messed up family.
I don't want his other son either... well unless he turns out to be the reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain.
Or even another Danny Manning.

KingPriest2
08-30-2006, 09:24 AM
What was so strange about that? If that is the strangest thing then you need to get out more.