PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs notes - Hicks made the roster.

Hammock Parties
08-30-2006, 01:47 AM
CHIEFS NOTEBOOK

Svitek to start against Saints?

The shuffling of the offensive line continued at practice Tuesday. Will Svitek was working with the first unit at right tackle instead of Kevin Sampson, while Chris Bober instead of Jordan Black played right guard for the injured Will Shields.

Coach Herm Edwards wouldn’t say whether Svitek would start Thursday night’s game against New Orleans at Arrowhead Stadium. But Tuesday was hardly a time for shuffling without that intent because it was the Chiefs’ only real practice because of the shortened week.

“It’s a good possibility,” Edwards said. “I won’t give my starting lineup away, though. We’re looking at different guys in different spots on the offensive line. That’s what you need to do.”

Bengals draw attention

The Chiefs’ opening-day opponent is Cincinnati on Sept. 10 at Arrowhead Stadium. The Bengals certainly got the Chiefs’ attention with their nationally televised 48-17 win over Green Bay on Monday night.

Quarterback Carson Palmer, in his belated preseason debut, threw for 140 yards and three touchdowns while showing few signs of a player who had knee ligaments torn just eight months ago.

The Chiefs yielded more passing yards than all but two teams last season. While they were impressed by Palmer, they weren’t awed.

“I think our defense is better than Green Bay,” defensive end Jared Allen said. “We have a different mentality up front.”

Injury update

Backup defensive end Eric Hicks didn’t practice because of what Edwards called a bruised shoulder. Hicks had offseason surgery on the same shoulder, and it prevented him from practicing during most of the spring.

Edwards was confident Hicks would be ready to play against the Bengals.

Shields (ankle) and fullback Ronnie Cruz (shoulder) also did not practice, but Edwards indicated they would play against Cincinnati. Shields has started 207 straight regular-season games, the longest streak in Chiefs history and second-longest among current NFL players behind Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre (221).

“Will’s been a fast healer,” Edwards said.

08-30-2006, 01:49 AM
DAMNIT CARL!!!!! :cuss:

CoMoChief
08-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Wasnt Green Bay top 5 in passing defense?

Mecca
08-30-2006, 01:50 AM
That will be great, if was the other team everytime he was on the field I'd just find him and run my play that way.

Hammock Parties
08-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Only because their rushing defense was so godawful.

They allowed 21.5 points per game.

Mecca
08-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Wasnt Green Bay top 5 in passing defense?

Green Bay ranked 7th in overall defense last year...........plus they added A.J Hawk, Abdul Hodge and Charles Woodson...Yea we're better alright :rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
08-30-2006, 01:52 AM
This place would have been coming apart at the seams if we had allowed 125 yards rushing and 21.5 points per game last year.

We were a better defense last year and we're a better defense now.

08-30-2006, 01:53 AM
I was really hoping Palmer would not go for the season opener. Oh well....

Let's hope our O is up to the task. Maybe if we are playing from behind we won't have to worry about Herm throwing Solari under the bus for "playing to win the game".

Mecca
08-30-2006, 01:54 AM
This place would have been coming apart at the seams if we had allowed 125 yards rushing and 21.5 points per game last year.

We were a better defense last year and we're a better defense now.

You tend to give up points when your QB is slinging 30 INTs.....

Hammock Parties
08-30-2006, 01:55 AM
I really don't understand why they're keeping Hicks. Wilkerson can sub in at left end and be far more effective.

I guess they're keeping Hicks over Clint Mitchell and Carlos Hall.

Mecca
08-30-2006, 01:59 AM
I really don't understand why they're keeping Hicks. Wilkerson can sub in at left end and be far more effective.

I guess they're keeping Hicks over Clint Mitchell and Carlos Hall.

Because he's Mr. Chief, he's going to be here forever just to piss us all off.

tk13
08-30-2006, 02:10 AM
He's not looked good this preseason, but Hicks has been okay against the run the last couple years. I think he's a better run stopping DE than Allen. Hopefully he finds whatever is missing. He's not the star player he was a few years ago, and he is overpaid, but he can contribute. For instance, we probably would've lost the 2nd Denver game last year if it wasn't for Hicks. I figure Hali is going to get a lot of the snaps anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing Hicks slide over to DT every once in a while.

Hootie
08-30-2006, 02:46 AM
does anyone realize why Green Bay was 7th in total defense?! Let's see...

First off, they play the friggin' Bears/Lions/Vikings 6 times.

Secondly, Favre threw so many INT's that teams would get the ball in great field position/or would build such a big lead they would no longer need to score.

I honestly think KC's defense was better than Green Bay's last year. To think GB actually had a good defense last year is laughable, to say the least.

Bwana
08-30-2006, 04:45 AM

Wouldn't that just be our luck. We at long last get rid of the worthless stiff and he gets some kind of a golden boy management job in the Chiefs front office where he can still cause some damage.

Coach
08-30-2006, 06:02 AM
He's not looked good this preseason, but Hicks has been okay against the run the last couple years. I think he's a better run stopping DE than Allen. Hopefully he finds whatever is missing. He's not the star player he was a few years ago, and he is overpaid, but he can contribute. For instance, we probably would've lost the 2nd Denver game last year if it wasn't for Hicks. I figure Hali is going to get a lot of the snaps anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing Hicks slide over to DT every once in a while.

Name one game that Hicks looked good. I disagree that he's a better run stopper than Allen. Allen has improved in that area while Hicks has been declining. Well we all know what's missing on Hicks, it's called a "ability to read the plays."

He's so damned good at letting a 2nd stringer O-linemen knocking his ass onto the field all the time. Don't believe me? Watch the game film, and you'll see what I mean.

Hicks needs to go, period.

Simplex3
08-30-2006, 06:07 AM
Him and Carl.

Damnit Lamar! :cuss:

Simplex3
08-30-2006, 06:11 AM
...Hicks needs to go, period.
They can keep him, but they better feed him and take him out themselves. I don't want to see poop all over the floor. Oh, and he sleeps in the kennel at night. Otherwise I'm taking him to the shelter to be put down.

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2006, 06:36 AM
Yep, Packers 1st 5 drives:

Fumble
INT
Punt
Punt
Punt

That can't help a defense.

nomad
08-30-2006, 07:08 AM
"The shuffling of the offensive line continued at practice Tuesday. Will Svitek was working with the first unit at right tackle instead of Kevin Sampson, while Chris Bober instead of Jordan Black played right guard for the injured Will Shields."

I thought I heard some stat from Clayton that said LJ was averaging something like 5 or 6 YPC when going to the right this pre-season, but 1.5 ypc going to the left.

Interesting that Herm is messing with his bread and butter....

StcChief
08-30-2006, 07:32 AM
PS game rest the starters. Svitek needs time on field in case Turley would go down.

Reerun_KC
08-30-2006, 07:41 AM
Interesting that Herm is messing with his bread and butter....

Not that interesting, From the beginning his goal was to slow this offense down. He seems to think the the offense is/was the reason behind the chiefs losing all the time.

Even though we and everyone else in the league spanked his a$$ the last few years.

morphius
08-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Why Bober? Bober has sucked everywhere we have used him? The only thing I can think of is that this is his last shot to make the team. Though I would rather let Black continue to build confidence from his good play last week.

Mecca
08-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Not that interesting, From the beginning his goal was to slow this offense down. He seems to think the the offense is/was the reason behind the chiefs losing all the time.

Even though we and everyone else in the league spanked his a$$ the last few years.

Who won more playoff games the Chiefs in the last 12 or Herm in 5.......oh yea that's right........

Chief Faithful
08-30-2006, 08:27 AM
From what I've seen Svitek deserves to be the starting right tackle.

Based on this article my prognostication for the DLine is:

Allen
Hali
Hicks
Hall
Wilkerson
Reed
Edwards
Sims
Dalton

The Rick
08-30-2006, 08:39 AM
does anyone realize why Green Bay was 7th in total defense?! Let's see...

First off, they play the friggin' Bears/Lions/Vikings 6 times.

Secondly, Favre threw so many INT's that teams would get the ball in great field position/or would build such a big lead they would no longer need to score.

I honestly think KC's defense was better than Green Bay's last year. To think GB actually had a good defense last year is laughable, to say the least.
Plus, they have a new head coach this year, new defensive coordinator, etc...

Eleazar
08-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Can't believe anyone seriously thought he would get cut.

He is what he is. He's nothing special. He's your average veteran defensive end who should come out in passing situations.

rad
08-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Green Bay ranked 7th in overall defense last year...........plus they added A.J Hawk, Abdul Hodge and Charles Woodson...Yea we're better alright :rolleyes:

Green Bay-

23rd against the run (504 attempts against); 1st against the pass(430 attempts against)

KC-

7th against the run (383 attempts against; 30th against the pass(559 attempts against)

Overall D stats don't mean squat. If your D can't stop the run, why throw?

milkman
08-30-2006, 09:12 AM

He is what he is. He's nothing special. He's your average veteran defensive end who should come out in passing situations.

No, he's not average.

Unless "liability"=average.

Archie Bunker
08-30-2006, 09:14 AM

ROFL I love it.

Mecca
08-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Green Bay-

23rd against the run (504 attempts against); 1st against the pass(430 attempts against)

KC-

7th against the run (383 attempts against; 30th against the pass(559 attempts against)

Overall D stats don't mean squat. If your D can't stop the run, why throw?

If you can't stop the pass why run? The Chiefs run D stats are inflated due to the fact that teams just passed all over us, so it's a similiar situation just the other way around.

rad
08-30-2006, 09:36 AM
If you can't stop the pass why run? The Chiefs run D stats are inflated due to the fact that teams just passed all over us, so it's a similiar situation just the other way around.

If you can stop the run you have a better chance of winning. Forcing a team to throw gives the D a better chance of taking the ball away and getting your offense on the field more.

KC- 10-6 avg t.o.p.-32:09 #3

GB- 4-12 avg t.o.p.-30:48 #12

Turnover diff. also makes a big difference. We were +8; GB was -24.

Mecca
08-30-2006, 09:38 AM
If you can stop the run you have a better chance of winning. Forcing a team to throw gives the D a better chance of taking the ball away and getting your offense on the field more.

KC- 10-6 avg t.o.p.-32:09 #3

GB- 4-12 avg t.o.p.-30:48 #12

Turnover diff. also makes a big difference. We were +8; GB was -24.

Well Trent Green didn't make a bunch of really stupid throws like Brett Favre did......a QB throwing 30 INT's is going to affect defensive stats.

Chief Faithful
08-30-2006, 09:45 AM

More hoping then believing.

Hammock Parties
08-30-2006, 09:48 AM
I just don't see a logical reason to have him on the roster. Wilkerson is a better LDE.

Maybe Hall is gone and Wilkerson is playing RDE now. That would make sense.

rad
08-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Well Trent Green didn't make a bunch of really stupid throws like Brett Favre did......a QB throwing 30 INT's is going to affect defensive stats.

.........which makes our D better than GB's D :D ...........

Mr. Laz
08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Hali and Wilkerson are considered "falcons" and not under the label of DE?

the fact that we couldn't bring a guy in that's good enough to bump Hicks does not bode well.......

for a guy that's supposed to like playing young guys he sure seems to be keeping alot of suspect veterans around.