PDA

View Full Version : KC Chiefs "2-a-day" on Mike & Mike at 7:40 CT..

chiefqueen
08-30-2006, 05:31 AM
expect Herm bashing from Greeny.

GoTrav
08-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Waiting to see what they have to say as well. But I doubt the bashing Greeny will do will be any worse than what's being said in the Herm Edwards Vs. Mike Solari?? thread. I have my Herm concerns too.

Mr. Kotter
08-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Greeny guaranteed LJ will break Dickerson's record....IF he stays healthy.

Both agree Roaf's absence is a huge issue....

Mr. Kotter
08-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Herm may take some time to turn the "D" around....

Greenberg predicts 8 wins; Golic predicts 10 wins. Golic is da REAL man..... :p

Greenberg says the Chiefs WILL ABSLOUTELY run the ball in too many passing situations to be......a 'prolific' offense. Herm's "conservative" playcalling and "amazingly bad" clock-management will be his "undoing"....

:shake:

:banghead:

Mecca
08-30-2006, 06:53 AM
Greeny is basically saying Larry Johnson is going to get alot of meaningless yards from the Chiefs running on downs like 3rd and 11......

NJ Chief Fan
08-30-2006, 06:53 AM
i agree with all that they are saying

jidar
08-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Greeny is a Jets fan and seems abosolutely certain that Herm is going to neuter this offense. He said he "Watched every snap of the Jets last year and knows Herm like the back of my hand." and all the Chiefs fans mailing him right now talking about how Herm isn't the offense coordinator and so wont mess up the offense are wrong. "Trust me" Greeny says, "Email me back after week one when the Chiefs run the ball on 3rd and 7, the Chiefs absolutely will not be a prolific offense this year." He also thinks it would take more than one year for Herm to turn the D around, so between those two things he figures we go 8-8. He did say Larry Johnson will break the rushing record because of all the meaningless yards he gains playing Hermyball.

Golic on the other hand picked us to go 10-6 and make the playoffs, but he said it was his "reach" pick this year.

Mr. Kotter
08-30-2006, 07:00 AM
i agree with all that they are saying
Pretty much.

Sounds as if they've been reading the Planet. ;)

My reaction was kinda like, "duh."

chief52
08-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Golic said it was embarrassing how many times they showed highlights of Chief defenders bouncing off ball carriers and missing tackles last season. Damn, tell me about it.

Mr. Kotter
08-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Golic said it was embarrassing how many times they showed highlights of Chief defenders bouncing off ball carriers and missing tackles last season. Damn, tell me about it.

The truth hurts like hell sometimes....:banghead:

:cuss:

Red Dawg
08-30-2006, 07:03 AM
What they failed to throw in the conversation was the obvious. The Jets didn't have the offensive success that we have had so of course he comes in there and changes it. Carl is not going to let him just completely switch gears and neither will Solari.

The Jets also didn't have LJ, Gonzo, Green and company to move the chains.

We have not seen Marty ball in the pre season so we shouldn't assume that we'll see it on opening day.

VonneMarie
08-30-2006, 07:06 AM
What they failed to throw in the conversation was the obvious. The Jets didn't have the offensive success that we have had so of course he comes in there and changes it. Carl is not going to let him just completely switch gears and neither will Solari.

We have not seen Marty ball in the pre season so we shouldn't assume that we'll see it on opening day.
Bingo! I couldn't agree more... :clap:

jidar
08-30-2006, 07:20 AM

We haven't, but then again Herm has been complaining non-stop about it too.

Mecca
08-30-2006, 07:23 AM

If the offensive coordinator does things the HC doesn't want he'll get fired. So saying Solari won't let Herm do something is completely out of left field. Herm is the head coach if he doesn't like how Solari calls a game he will tell him to change it if he doesn't he won't have a job.

BigChiefFan
08-30-2006, 07:25 AM
If the offensive coordinator does things the HC doesn't want he'll get fired. So saying Solari won't let Herm do something is completely out of left field. Herm is the head coach if he doesn't like how Solari calls a game he will tell him to change it if he doesn't he won't have a job.
Carl Petrson HIRES and FIRES, not Herm Edwards

Hoover
08-30-2006, 07:35 AM
As long as Herm wins, I don't care what happens.

Mecca
08-30-2006, 07:40 AM

I'd be pretty sure if HC and OC had a really bad relationship it would lead to the OC no longer being employed.

Chiefnj
08-30-2006, 07:41 AM
Solari answers to Herm and Herm has final say on the playcalling. He made that clear in yesterday's interview when he said "no is no" and that he would say "no" to such calls in regular season games.

Note - the two Chief fans from NJ on this thread and Greeny an avid Jets fan are all very pessimistic about Herm. Is it because we are east coast a-holes, or because we've been exposed to Herm ball? Probably both.

CoMoChief
08-30-2006, 07:47 AM
I really hope we dont run it on 3rd n 7, I think I might cry. That's just total dumbassery (if thats even a word - if not I'm making it up).

It's not like we have a defense that can be accounted for like we did in the mid 90's when Marty was here. Back then we had a defense that we could count on could make up for the offense's mistakes. This is not the case. We simply can not stop anyone yet that is worth a damn and we still cant play decent on the road.

Reerun_KC
08-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Greenberg says the Chiefs WILL ABSLOUTELY run the ball in too many passing situations to be......a 'prolific' offense. Herm's "conservative" playcalling and "amazingly bad" clock-management will be his "undoing"....

:shake:

:banghead:

I have been saying all along that his clock management and conservative approach will not sit well with the fans. He was brought he to fix a defense, not destroy an organization.

Remember these words, He will leave KC in such a mess that it will take years to fix. Ask Jet Fans..... I would stop bashing them if I was a chiefs fan... They are glad to be rid of Him and we act like he is the second coming of Bill Walsh... WTF?

Our superbowl window is closed and nailed shut from now and at least 3 years after Hermie leaves the Chiefs.

Hermie is NO Tony Dungy. At least he has the brains to keep the train rolling in Indy. You dont see him forcing Manning to run the ball. Kick field goals instead of TD's...

Mecca
08-30-2006, 07:50 AM
I have been saying all along that his clock management and conservative approach will not sit well with the fans. He was brought he to fix a defense, not destroy an organization.

Remember these words, He will leave KC in such a mess that it will take years to fix. Ask Jet Fans..... I would stop bashing them if I was a chiefs fan... They are glad to be rid of Him and we act like he is the second coming of Bill Walsh... WTF?

Our superbowl window is closed and nailed shut from now and at least 3 years after Hermie leaves the Chiefs.

Hermie is NO Tony Dungy. At least he has the brains to keep the train rolling in Indy. You dont see him forcing Manning to run the ball. Kick field goals instead of TD's...

Cause you know being an offensive heavy team that scores alot and plays no defense is how you win a Superbowl.....oh wait it's not. The way the Chiefs were assembled was never going to win a Bowl period you don't win that way in the NFL. I don't think the Chiefs are a bowl contender and haven't for awhile, they won't be till they field a good defense.

Doesn't matter how good that offense is till you put a defense that can play on the field you don't win bowls ask the Colts.

Reerun_KC
08-30-2006, 07:50 AM

This might be the only time I like Carl, Hopefully Hermie is just a yes man and will do what Carl says....

Screw Hermie and his Sh*tty coaching!

Reerun_KC
08-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Doesn't matter how good that offense is till you put a defense that can play on the field you don't win bowls ask the Colts and the Chiefs.

Fixed that for ya!

Agree 100%, But Fielding a great defense and no offense, wont win a superbowl either if you are the KC Chiefs. I know others have, but we havent.

I takes balance on offense. Like I have said many times on this board, You never take your foot off the gas regardless. Score each time you have the ball Or at least try. Sitting on 3 point lead in the 1st Qtr is not smart football regardless what Hermie tries to sell us!

jidar
08-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Cause you know being an offensive heavy team that scores alot and plays no defense is how you win a Superbowl.....oh wait it's not. The way the Chiefs were assembled was never going to win a Bowl period you don't win that way in the NFL. I don't think the Chiefs are a bowl contender and haven't for awhile, they won't be till they field a good defense.

Doesn't matter how good that offense is till you put a defense that can play on the field you don't win bowls ask the Colts.

You win a superbowl just as often with that approach as you do with Martyball. Vermeil did it with the Rams, meanwhile Cower won his as an example of going the other way. Of the two I'd say the Steelers win was more flukish due to all the help they got through the post season by being on the receiving end of controversial calls.

As for the Chiefs, how about we play a smart unpredictable offense with a solid opportunistic D? That seems to work for the Patriots. Telling the news media you're always going to run on 3rd-2 with minutes to go is the exact opposite of unpredictable. I'd go so far as to say it's stupid unless you're trying to mislead people, which for all I know he might be.

Mr. Kotter
08-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Fixed that for ya!

Agree 100%, But Fielding a great defense and no offense, wont win a superbowl either if you are the KC Chiefs. I know others have, but we havent.

I takes balance on offense. Like I have said many times on this board, You never take your foot off the gas regardless. Score each time you have the ball Or at least try. Sitting on 3 point lead in the 1st Qtr is not smart football regardless what Hermie tries to sell us!

Yes, offenses should strive to be balanced....but there are times to "take your foot off the gas."

Whenever a quarterback drops back to pass (deep,) four things can happen....and three of them are bad in a situation when you are leading in the game (sack, incompletion to stop the clock, and an interception.)

Getting a lead, and playing it safe can be fine...as long as you don't totally become one dimensional.

The question is, will Herm be to predictable and safe. Marty seemingly has learned to adjust; hopefully, Herm can find a reasonable balance. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

Mecca
08-30-2006, 08:06 AM
You win a superbowl just as often with that approach as you do with Martyball. Vermeil did it with the Rams, meanwhile Cower won his as an example of going the other way. Of the two I'd say the Steelers win was more flukish due to all the help they got through the post season by being on the receiving end of controversial calls.

As for the Chiefs, how about we play a smart unpredictable offense with a solid opportunistic D? That seems to work for the Patriots. Telling the news media you're always going to run on 3rd-2 with minutes to go is the exact opposite of unpredictable. I'd go so far as to say it's stupid unless you're trying to mislead people, which for all I know he might be.

You do understand the Rams are the exception to the rule right? I could point out the Ravens won a Superbowl with virtually no offense. Almost all teams that win a Superbowl are better defensivly than they are offensivly. Sure watching a great offensive team is fun.....but 98% of the time that isn't going to win you a championship.

Brock
08-30-2006, 08:14 AM

That's wrong.

jidar
08-30-2006, 08:14 AM
You do understand the Rams are the exception to the rule right? I could point out the Ravens won a Superbowl with virtually no offense. Almost all teams that win a Superbowl are better defensivly than they are offensivly. Sure watching a great offensive team is fun.....but 98% of the time that isn't going to win you a championship.

I said with "Martyball". I'd argue that Martyball requires more than just being a defensive team. Martyball is playing not to lose. Doing things like 3 straight runs and a punt, consistent running on 3rd and long, and generally being very predictable in time constrained situations, especially trying to protect a small lead.

You know, if you're an opposing coach going against a martyball team you love it, because you know that anytime the other team gets a bit ahead they will put the brakes on. They're so afraid of failure they wont let themselves have too much success, and so they always keep you in the game, and because of that you always have a chance. Esepcially towards the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters when you could almost predict their play calls to the letter with just minimal thought.

Cower Martyballed it up and won it all, but I was all but certain he was going to lose when he put the brakes on his offense in the second half of the colts game. There was NO REASON for that, here he was playing one of the best offenses in the league and he thought his 14 point lead was good enough even though they had been steamrolling the Colts D up to that point. He would have lost too if hadn't been for some very timely calls by the refs.

beer bacon
08-30-2006, 08:32 AM
It is pretty odd that 90% of comparisons I see on Chiefs message boards are either a coaching comparision to Martyball or a player comparison to DT.

keg in kc
08-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Some things to think about regardless of what Herm does or does not do with the offense:

We are not the Jets.

We have a better offensive line than the Jets, even with Turley playing for Roaf.

We have a better running back than the Jets.

We have a better QB than the Jets.

We have better TEs than the Jets.

We have better WRs than the Jets. Am I a homer when I say that? Maybe. Either way, Kennison had 250 more yards than Laveranues Coles on 5 fewer catches, with the same number of TDs, while Justin McCareins had a bit less than 200 yards more than Parker, with a higher per-catch average but fewer TDs. At worst it's a push.

Even if we do play conservatively, we'll still score points, because we're going to outmatch most of the defenses we line up against in terms of player vs. player. And we don't know yet that we're going to be conservative; it's speculation at this point based on comments from press conferences and meaningless stats run with a vanilla offense played primarily by second- and third-string players. The reality is that Herm could well pull a Dungy when the games count.

Am I saying he will or he won't? No. I'm just pointing out that it's August 30th, we haven't played a game yet, and we really have no idea what the offense is going to look like. Maybe it'll be conservative, maybe it won't. So...call me naive, but I'm not going to applaud or criticize something that hasn't actually happened yet. I'd like to reserve judgement until I actually see something, good or bad.

NJ Chief Fan
08-30-2006, 08:38 AM
We have better WRs than the Jets. Am I a homer when I say that? Maybe. Either way, Kennison had 250 more yards than Laveranues Coles on 5 fewer catches, with the same number of TDs, while Justin McCareins had a bit less than 200 yards more than Parker, with a higher per-catch average but fewer TDs. At worst it's a push.

i think they have the better WR's. you have to remember that the jets played 20 differnt QB's last season. at best Kennison=Coles, but McCareins>Parker. Until proven otherwise

Mecca
08-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Are those the Jet's WR stats from last year? If so that probably isn't fair when they used 4 QB's.

eazyb81
08-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Some things to think about regardless of what Herm does or does not do with the offense:

We are not the Jets.

We have a better offensive line than the Jets, even with Turley playing for Roaf.

We have a better running back than the Jets.

We have a better QB than the Jets.

We have better TEs than the Jets.

Even if we do play conservatively, we'll still score points, because we're going to outmatch most of the defenses we line up against in terms of player vs. player. And we don't know yet that we're going to be conservative; it's speculation at this point based on comments from press conferences and meaningless stats run with a vanilla offense played primarily by second- and third-string players. The reality is that Herm could well pull a Dungy when the games count.

Am I saying he will or he won't? No. I'm just pointing out that it's August 30th, we haven't played a game yet, and we really have no idea what the offense is going to look like. Maybe it'll be conservative, maybe it won't. So...call me naive, but I'm not going to applaud or criticize something that hasn't actually happened yet. I'd like to reserve judgement until I actually see something, good or bad.

Exactly.

Did anyone stop to think that the Jets used a conservative offense with the Jets because:

1. they had an above average defense

2. they had a below average offense

It made sense to play mistake-free football on offense and let the playmakers on defense get on the field and make things happen. That's obviously not the case with the Chiefs, so expecting Herm to do things the exact same way he did them in NY is foolish.

keg in kc
08-30-2006, 08:48 AM
at best Kennison=Coles, but McCareins>Parker. Until proven otherwiseI'd disagree.

Coles posted better numbers than Kennison in 2002 and 2003. But Eddie's 2004 and 2005 stats blow him away, in yardage, average, scoring, 20+ yard receptions, 40+ yard receptions. Pretty much any way you slice it, Kennison is the better receiver right now. I'm not sure exactly why, probably a holdover from the way he left Denver, but Kennison is severely underrated, not just outside KC, but also by KC fans.

I'm calling McCareins versus Parker a push. That's just my opinion, and I openly admit that. I think when the year is over, Parker will stand as the better WR, at least statistically speaking, but he hasn't proven anything yet.

jidar
08-30-2006, 08:51 AM
I'd disagree.

Coles posted better numbers than Kennison in 2002 and 2003. But Eddie's 2004 and 2005 stats blow him away, in yardage, average, scoring, 20+ yard receptions, 40+ yard receptions. Pretty much any way you slice it, Kennison is the better receiver right now. I'm not sure exactly why, probably a holdover from the way he left Denver, but Kennison is severely underrated, not just outside KC, but also by KC fans.

I'm calling McCareins versus Parker a push. That's just my opinion, and I openly admit that. I think when the year is over, Parker will stand as the better WR, at least statistically speaking, but he hasn't proven anything yet.

I'm with you on the Kennison argument. I've said on here before that I think he is underrated by locally and nationally.

You're also right that we haven't played a game yet, so it's not time to panic. I worry though with what is being said in the press conferences.

Chiefnj
08-30-2006, 09:04 AM
I'd disagree.

How can you compare 2005 #'s when one team was playing its starting QB all 16 games and the other team was on its 4th QB of the season?

It's like saying Parker is better than TO because he had more catches than TO did last year. Apples to Bananas.

Hoover
08-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Herm's issue isn't that we should run the ball everytime its 3rd and 7. His issues is we were leading and time was running out in the first half and we almost took ourselves out of FG range.

htismaqe
08-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Herm's issue isn't that we should run the ball everytime its 3rd and 7. His issues is we were leading and time was running out in the first half and we almost took ourselves out of FG range.

Herm is going to destroy this offense. It's guaranteed.

jspchief
08-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Herm's issue isn't that we should run the ball everytime its 3rd and 7. His issues is we were leading and time was running out in the first half and we almost took ourselves out of FG range.People seem to be missing that little detail.

It was a chance to guarantee we were the last to touch the ball in the half, and get some easy points in the process. Considering how we were playing defense and moving the ball on offense, playing it conservative would have been the right call in that situation IMO.

I'll wait to do my bitching until he actually does it in a scenario where it doesn't make sense.

htismaqe
08-30-2006, 09:16 AM
People seem to be missing that little detail.

It was a chance to guarantee we were the last to touch the ball in the half, and get some easy points in the process. Considering how we were playing defense and moving the ball on offense, playing it conservative would have been the right call in that situation IMO.

I'll wait to do my bitching until he actually does it in a scenario where it doesn't make sense.

The 3rd and 2 pass by Croyle is what every fan WANTS. They'd rather us throw it there than run it, like we did on our 1st drive (we converted and ultimately scored a TD) because it's sexy.

Who cares if Green drops back to pass in a goal to go situation and turns the ball over, creating a 14-point swing -- we're the #1 offense in the league!!!

NJ Chief Fan
08-30-2006, 09:19 AM
I'd disagree.

coles played for the redskins in '03, who also played musical chairs with their QB's. they are both the same kind of WR, but Coles may just be a little better

Baby Lee
Herm is going to destroy this offense. It's guaranteed.
I heard the entire offensive playbook is;
1) Get a 3 pt lead on your first drive.
2) QB kneel downs for the rest of the game.

htismaqe
I heard the entire offensive playbook is;
1) Get a 3 pt lead on your first drive.
2) QB kneel downs for the rest of the game.

#2 is correct, but #1 isn't required.

keg in kc
08-30-2006, 09:27 AM
How can you compare 2005 #'s when one team was playing its starting QB all 16 games and the other team was on its 4th QB of the season?I compared 2004 and 2005 #s, because they're the most recent and hence the most valid. You can categorize and qualify the statistics as much as you want, but that doesn't change the fact that they are what they are...

And, frankly, I think for most people, it's going to come down to Coles being better than Kennison simply because he's a not a Chief. Because for whatever reason, that's the way it goes, even for homers; players outside of KC are better than the ones here, regardless of what performance indicates.

Not a complaint so much as a comment based on 7-years surfing Chiefs bulletin boards...

milkman
08-30-2006, 09:27 AM
I have the same concerns as those here that are decrying Hermie and his predicted offensive braking.
And there isn't anyone that despises Martyball more than me.

But why cry when a real game hasn't been played yet?

Let's see what actually happens before we lament the loss of offensive firepower.

Let us also not forget that Trent Green has been given the tools to make audibles this season.

That fact leads me to believe the possibility that Hermie is not planning to put the brakes on.

keg in kc
08-30-2006, 09:28 AM
But why cry when a real game hasn't been played yet?

Let's see what actually happens before we lament the loss of offensive firepower.Pollyanna.

htismaqe
08-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Pollyanna.

Apologist

Baby Lee
08-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Apologist
Disigerentarian

Hammock Parties
08-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Disigerentarian

NOT A WORD!

FringeNC
08-30-2006, 10:10 AM
The 3rd and 2 pass by Croyle is what every fan WANTS. They'd rather us throw it there than run it, like we did on our 1st drive (we converted and ultimately scored a TD) because it's sexy.

Who cares if Green drops back to pass in a goal to go situation and turns the ball over, creating a 14-point swing -- we're the #1 offense in the league!!!

Actually, I have no problem running the ball on 3rd and 2, and think teams pass a little too much on 3rd and short (and I think Football Outsiders did a study that found that the conversion rate was higher running the ball on 3rd and short rather than passing).

What I am afraid of is that we try to continue to pound the ball against 8 man fronts on 1st and 2nd down. Especially with a small lead.

milkman
08-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Actually, I have no problem running the ball on 3rd and 2, and think teams pass a little too much on 3rd and short (and I think Football Outsiders did a study that found that the conversion rate was higher running the ball on 3rd and short rather than passing).

What I am afraid of is that we try to continue to pound the ball against 8 man fronts on 1st and 2nd down. Especially with a small lead.

So will Trent be out of a job when he sees those 8 man fronts and audibles to a pass?

Chris Meck
08-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Little early for gloom and doom, isn't it?

It's entirely likely that our offensive ranking will go down some this year-you don't lose one of the best Left Tackles to ever play the game (yeah, I said it. Roaf was one of the best EVER.) and just roll on. We also are replacing our RT on the fly as well.

But Trent Green is the player I would say is most underrated on this offense; he's been nothing short of outstanding after his first year here. In which, I'll remind you, his supporting cast of receivers was pretty lame other than Gonzales and Priest Holmes hadn't yet become...well, Priest Holmes. At any rate, Green is a great QB.

And Larry Johnson is special. And Gonzales is still great. and Kennison is still a solid receiver. And Parker is stepping it up. We have weapons all over the field.

We'll be fine. Top ten certainly, and probably more like top 5.

I expect that our defense will be MUCH better than it has in previous years. Hali looks like a disruptor, and a fine bookend to match Allen. We now have two Pro Bowl quality corners-Ty Law is a LOT better than Eric Warfield. Last year's starters at DT have been upgraded. DJ has a year under his belt now. Mitchell looks to be ascending, wouldn't you agree? Fox looks like he'll push for time. I think Pollard's an upgrade too, in speed and general nastiness.

Point being, no way is the defense NOT going to be better than it has been.

top ten offense, top 15 defense would be my prediction. It's been the big play that's really killed this team the last year or so-and the upgraded personnel should make a difference.

just my .02

Basileus777
08-30-2006, 10:43 AM
I'd disagree.

McCareins isn't any good. There is a reason he has lost his starting job to Jericho Cotchery and is on the trading block. Parker hasn't proved anything yet, he has alot more talent than McCareins.

And as someone who has watched Herm in NY, I am less worried about Marty Ball and more worried about being prepared for the opener. Herm's camps are soft and every year except one in NY (the year he ran a tough camp) his team was not ready for the season.

chiefsfan1963
08-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I hope Herm does not meddle with one of the best Offenses KC and for the most part the entire league has seen ever. Just focus on the D, the O will produce points just get our D to a TOP 15 D or better and we're in the Super Bowl. Don't make it harder than it is.

Mike and Mike sound pretty spot on about what Herm is going to do this year. Vermiel has left a pretty decent team to Herm. Focusing on improving the D is all that is necessary and we're in the playoffs and beyond. This is any new head coache's dream. Don't F*uck it up Herm Please!