PDA

View Full Version : Well, the Royals are officially done for 2006...

Otis99
08-31-2006, 06:21 AM
Despite two wins in a row, the Royals are officially eliminated from all possible playoff contention for 2006 as of last night. Who am I kidding though, our season was done back in May. Well, I'm sure that the other two Royals fans in KC will come into this thread to share sympathies on another season gone.

Hound333
08-31-2006, 06:22 AM
We have been looking up so far at the end of the year. Hopefully it stays with us in April. I am just not going to get my hopes up because of an owner that is content to lose and just pocket other teams cash.

GoTrav
08-31-2006, 06:28 AM
Despite two wins in a row, the Royals are officially eliminated from all possible playoff contention for 2006 as of last night. Who am I kidding though, our season was done back in May. Well, I'm sure that the other two Royals fans in KC will come into this thread to share sympathies on another season gone.

too bad next season is officially over as well...

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2006, 08:33 AM
I am waiting for 2008 season.

Fish
08-31-2006, 08:41 AM
Ohhh whoahh is me..... the Royals aren't going to make the playoffs.... where is the reason to go on living?

Let's share sympathies.....

dumbass n00b.......

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Th Royals were done when Glass took over as owner and guess what, they will continue to suck next year and the next year and the next year and the next year and the next year and the year after that. Oh yeah, and this is a Chiefs board and it's football season so take it someplace else!

StcChief
08-31-2006, 09:15 AM
One more win. they get 50 estimate.....You'll probably get to 62 W's now. :rolleyes:

JBucc
08-31-2006, 09:20 AM
At least we can still continue to fug up other people playoff hopes

Otis99
08-31-2006, 09:21 AM
Ohhh whoahh is me..... the Royals aren't going to make the playoffs.... where is the reason to go on living?

Let's share sympathies.....

dumbass n00b.......

What's your problem? I did nothing to provoke a response like that. Believe it or not there are still Royals fans out there... If you have a problem with that why post in this thread?

Fish
08-31-2006, 09:43 AM
What's your problem? I did nothing to provoke a response like that. Believe it or not there are still Royals fans out there... If you have a problem with that why post in this thread?

Ohh please.... what purpose does this thread serve other than doom and gloom??

"officially done for 2006"
"our season was done back in May"
"Well, I'm sure that the other two Royals fans in KC will come into this thread to share sympathies on another season gone."

You're looking to draw out people to bash on the Royals season before it's even over. Personally, I feel there are a lot of reasons to think the Royals organization is looking up and finally taking a step in the right direction.

You'd rather piss all over what they've done....

Chief Chief
08-31-2006, 09:49 AM
The Royals are 49-85, the D-Rays are 52-81, and the Pirates are 53-81.

What's our magic number to lock up the #1 pick in the 2007 draft?

Pitt Gorilla
08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Th Royals were done when Glass took over as owner and guess what, they will continue to suck next year and the next year and the next year and the next year and the next year and the year after that. Oh yeah, and this is a Chiefs board and it's football season so take it someplace else!I'm not sure how you can be so sure after seeing the pieces that we have in place. We should score quite a few runs. We should have decent pitching. That's not to say that any of these things will come to fruition, but we should be much better. I'm certainly not willing to write off the next few seasons.

Otis99
08-31-2006, 11:27 AM

"officially done for 2006"
"our season was done back in May"
"Well, I'm sure that the other two Royals fans in KC will come into this thread to share sympathies on another season gone."

You're looking to draw out people to bash on the Royals season before it's even over. Personally, I feel there are a lot of reasons to think the Royals organization is looking up and finally taking a step in the right direction.

You'd rather piss all over what they've done....

You've got to be kidding me. I am a Royals fan, I was just taking a few good natured potshots at them. Losing 100 games 3 out of the last 4 years can do that to a person...

Besides, you were the one that came in here with all the hostility, caling me a "dumbass n00b" and all. How many games have you been to this year? Planning on making it a baker's dozen next week when I see them play the Yanks. I'd get season tickets if I didn't already have 4 seats at Arrowhead wrapped up and could afford to.

I am always optomistic about the future of the team, the "woe is me" tone just comes from seeing the 100+ loss seasons pile up. We've got some good prospects, looks like another high draft pick next year, and new management. Maybe we will be like other small payroll teams like the Twins or Marlins and turn it around next season.

But seriously, you didn't need to come in here and be an a** and then start trying to play it like I was asking for it.

Hound333
08-31-2006, 11:39 AM
The Royals are 49-85, the D-Rays are 52-81, and the Pirates are 53-81.

What's our magic number to lock up the #1 pick in the 2007 draft?

But will our number one actually be the number one pick. Or will it end up the number one pick we can sign. I still remember when Weaver was drafted somewhere around 17 even though everyone had him pegged as the sure fire top prospect for the year.

Pitt Gorilla
08-31-2006, 11:54 AM
But will our number one actually be the number one pick. Or will it end up the number one pick we can sign. I still remember when Weaver was drafted somewhere around 17 even though everyone had him pegged as the sure fire top prospect for the year.See Hochaever (sp?)

keg in kc
08-31-2006, 12:06 PM
See Hochaever (sp?)Quiet homer. Nothing has changed.

*buries head in sand*

Scaga
08-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Well....Alex Gordon has looked good here in Wichita.
Wonder what we'll trade him for?

A couple of beers at Arrowhead?

:banghead:

Moooo
08-31-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm more interested in this offseasn and whether or not Glass will free up the almighty pocketbook...

Moooo

tk13
08-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Signability won't be an issue, we'll spend the money. We drafted Hochevar and he was a hold out from last year, and a Boras client. If we can do that, we can pretty much do anything.

With the exception, and hopefully this doesn't happen, of someone like Andrew Miller this year. Asked for a ton of money, plus a guarantee he'd be up in September this year, which the Tigers have already done for him. That's crazy. Which is why the Royals and several other teams passed him over, plus Dayton and most of the front office seemed to like Hochevar better anyway since he has several quality pitches.

tk13
08-31-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm more interested in this offseasn and whether or not Glass will free up the almighty pocketbook...

Moooo
I think they'll try to do something to make a splash, maybe. But then again, we tried that last year. We spent money. The Royals went after the big FA's like Furcal, and tried to trade for Miguel Tejada. It's one thing to want those guys, it's another to get it done. We need to play better to get FA's to want to come here in the first place.

Plus, you have to be careful to begin with. The Royals can't go out there and make a mistake like signing AJ Burnett to a $55 million contract. Some people wanted to do that last year, that's crazy. Those are the same people who complain about Sweeney taking up a large chunk of the payroll. There are a lot of mediocre players commanding more than mediocre money. You can't afford to spend big money and be wrong.

Moooo
08-31-2006, 12:15 PM
I think they'll try to do something to make a splash, maybe. But then again, we tried that last year. We spent money. The Royals went after the big FA's like Furcal, and tried to trade for Miguel Tejada. It's one thing to want those guys, it's another to get it done. We need to play better to get FA's to want to come here in the first place.

Baby steps... I don't want a huge name. I want a few solid players who can turn this team into a .500 winner. Work on our weak spots...

Moooo

tk13
08-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Baby steps... I don't want a huge name. I want a few solid players who can turn this team into a .500 winner. Work on our weak spots...

Moooo
Yeah, that was something Baird struggled with. Although this year was probably his best effort. Guys like Grudzielanek and Mientkiewicz and Redman were all nice pickups. Not superstars but guys who could contribute on winning teams.

beavis
08-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah, that was something Baird struggled with. Although this year was probably his best effort. Guys like Grudzielanek and Mientkiewicz and Redman were all nice pickups. Not superstars but guys who could contribute on winning teams.
I don't know about you, but I hope we don't sign any big name free agents in the offseason. What would be the point? I'd rather wait until the young guys are up here, then go out and sign the Kenny Rogers type free agents to fill holes.

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2006, 12:32 PM
I thought last season we made some good pickups. Trouble is we dont have the pitching.

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't know about you, but I hope we don't sign any big name free agents in the offseason. What would be the point? I'd rather wait until the young guys are up here, then go out and sign the Kenny Rogers type free agents to fill holes.

I agree with you, develop our talent and fill holes through free agency.

Moooo
08-31-2006, 12:33 PM
I thought last season we made some good pickups. Trouble is we dont have the pitching.

We need to get rid of Hernandez... I seriously think replacing him with a quality pitcher would make 10 games difference...

Moooo

Archie F. Swin
08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
officially eliminated?

THERE'S NO REASON TO LIVE!!!!!! WHERE'S MY KAYAK?!!!!

Pitt Gorilla
08-31-2006, 12:42 PM
We need to get rid of Hernandez... I seriously think replacing him with a quality pitcher would make 10 games difference...

MooooCGSO

He might not be consistent, but that kind of effort is exactly what the Royals need.

J Diddy
08-31-2006, 12:42 PM

and what purpose do you have by busting his balls?

Pitt Gorilla
08-31-2006, 12:43 PM
I don't know about you, but I hope we don't sign any big name free agents in the offseason. What would be the point? I'd rather wait until the young guys are up here, then go out and sign the Kenny Rogers type free agents to fill holes.I agree. I'd like to sign some cheaper guys to fill holes and serve as trade bait at the deadline.

Calcountry
08-31-2006, 12:53 PM
You guys should petition Donald Trump to buy your proud organization and turn it arround.

One thing we know about the Donald and sports franchises, he isn't afraid to throw money at it.

You have to get a new owner, new GM. I think you have a decent manager. Buddy Bell, a great third baseman for the Indians back in the day, had you guys playing hardball for the last couple of months. Something hard to do is to change the culture of the team.

You have got to have the Icons of Royals past come in and sell the kids of the franchise, up and down, that this organization deserves their best efforts.

I really am pulling for you guys, as the Royals are my default #2 team to root for behind the A's.

In the 80's, it was awesome to see ole Steinbrenner P.O.'d when the Royals knocked the Spankees out of the playoffs.

My sincere apologies on another lousy season, you fans deserve better than that.

tk13
08-31-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't think there'll be too many moves, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dayton tries to do something to make a splash to show he's for real. Particularly at SS and with the starting pitching.

Pitt Gorilla
08-31-2006, 12:56 PM
You guys should petition Donald Trump to buy your proud organization and turn it arround.

One thing we know about the Donald and sports franchises, he isn't afraid to throw money at it.

You have to get a new owner, new GM. I think you have a decent manager. Buddy Bell, a great third baseman for the Indians back in the day, had you guys playing hardball for the last couple of months. Something hard to do is to change the culture of the team.

You have got to have the Icons of Royals past come in and sell the kids of the franchise, up and down, that this organization deserves their best efforts.

I really am pulling for you guys, as the Royals are my default #2 team to root for behind the A's.

In the 80's, it was awesome to see ole Steinbrenner P.O.'d when the Royals knocked the Spankees out of the playoffs.

My sincere apologies on another lousy season, you fans deserve better than that.I don't get it. You claim to be somewhat of a fan (default #2), yet you say we need a new GM?

keg in kc
08-31-2006, 12:56 PM
We need to get rid of Hernandez... I seriously think replacing him with a quality pitcher would make 10 games difference...Two or three weeks ago I might've agreed with you.

He's pitched into the 7th in 3 of his last 4 starts, allowing a total of 10 earned runs in 28.1 innings (that's a 3.14 era). The Royals went 3-1 in that stretch.

One game like that would be a fluke, he's starting to do it consistently. And against contending teams (Boston, the White Sox, Oakland and Toronto).

Pitt Gorilla
08-31-2006, 12:57 PM
Two or three weeks ago I might've agreed with you.

He's pitched into the 7th in 3 of his last 4 starts, allowing a total of 10 earned runs in 28.1 innings (that's a 3.14 era). The Royals went 3-1 in that stretch.

One game like that would be a fluke, he's starting to do it consistently. And against contending teams (Boston, the White Sox, Oakland and Toronto).I, too, am interested in Mooo's rationale.

Moooo
08-31-2006, 12:57 PM
Two or three weeks ago I might've agreed with you.

One game like that would be a fluke, he's starting to do it consistently. And against contending teams (Boston, the White Sox, Oakland and Toronto).

I sincerely hope he can find a niche... I'm still not convinced wholly, though.

Moooo

keg in kc
08-31-2006, 01:00 PM
The idea is to stockpile as much young pitching talent as we can, hoping to get 3 or 4 quality starters out of the bunch. That's why we need to hold onto Fat Elvys. If he pitches like that, he'll just add to a rotation with guys like Greinke, Hochevar and Lumsden coming (back) up.

Sure-Oz
08-31-2006, 01:38 PM

My sincere apologies on another lousy season, you fans deserve better than that.
new gm??? you're kidding right? dayton has done wonders so far with aquisitions!

Calcountry
08-31-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't get it. You claim to be somewhat of a fan (default #2), yet you say we need a new GM?You guys are happy with your GM?

Calcountry
08-31-2006, 02:40 PM
new gm??? you're kidding right? dayton has done wonders so far with aquisitions!Obviously I don't follow them close enough.

So you all are happy with his job so far?

Specifically what moves are you all so fond of?

I will man up and say that I made a blanket statement because I was thinking, that a complete retooling of the team would be necessary for them to change thier losing culture.

J Diddy
08-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Obviously I don't follow them close enough.

I will man up and say that I made a blanket statement because I was thinking, that a complete retooling of the team would be necessary for them to change thier losing culture.

um, they just changed gms to one who is regarded as a hot young prospect

Calcountry
08-31-2006, 02:55 PM
um, they just changed gms to one who is regarded as a hot young prospectHonestly haven't been paying close enough attention. Most of my news on the Royals would come from here. I read most of the baseball threads, but failed to notice it.

I don't check out the Royals website that much either. I am kind of stuck here at the Planet as far as my free internet surfing goes.

Pitt Gorilla
08-31-2006, 03:00 PM
Obviously I don't follow them close enough.

I will man up and say that I made a blanket statement because I was thinking, that a complete retooling of the team would be necessary for them to change thier losing culture.Getting Shealy, De La Rosa, and Perez for very little was good. Getting Lumsden for Mac should be good for the future. Getting Gaithright immediately upgraded our speed on the basepaths and in the outfield.

I think Baird had done a pretty good job of acquiring good, young talent. Moore seems to have more authority within the organization to get things done and doesn't have the attachment to players that Baird seemed to have (as evidenced by his trading of Mac, Affeldt, and Howell.)

beavis
08-31-2006, 03:01 PM
You guys are happy with your GM?
He's been on the job a grand total of 2 months... I think we might give him at least another week before start calling for his head.

Calcountry
08-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Getting Shealy, De La Rosa, and Perez for very little was good. Getting Lumsden for Mac should be good for the future. Getting Gaithright immediately upgraded our speed on the basepaths and in the outfield.

I think Baird had done a pretty good job of acquiring good, young talent. Moore seems to have more authority within the organization to get things done and doesn't have the attachment to players that Baird seemed to have (as evidenced by his trading of Mac, Affeldt, and Howell.)Fair enough. Sounds like things are looking up. It is definitely not easy competing with big money teams.

Sure-Oz
08-31-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah, Dayton Moore is the best young GM out there and so far i like what he has done, i think its only going to get alot better!

WilliamTheIrish
08-31-2006, 04:50 PM

Yes, we should petition Trump. Why haven't we thought of that? It's not insane or anything. Or even stupid. That's the kind of grounded, reasoned thinking all us fans should be using.

Shaddup already.

Calcountry
08-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah, Dayton Moore is the best young GM out there and so far i like what he has done, i think its only going to get alot better!Chit, thanks to me, you all almost had a high quality baseball thread. :thumb: ;) :p Just kidding.

At least you have football to take your mind off of that stuff.

I like talking baseball, and would appreciate more of it. The Royals gave the A's all they could handle this year which was a definite improvement over the season series last year.

Calcountry
08-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Yes, we should petition Trump. Why haven't we thought of that? It's not insane or anything. Or even stupid. That's the kind of grounded, reasoned thinking all us fans should be using.

Shaddup already.ROFL

Alec R
08-31-2006, 05:07 PM
the Royals are officially done for 2006...
And 2007 and 2008 and 2009...2100

big nasty kcnut
08-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Go royals i think next year is the beginning of good things to come.

plbrdude
08-31-2006, 06:27 PM
i'm lookin forward to next year myself

Spott
08-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Actually, their season was over in April when they started off 2-13.