PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Fox vs Bell...

Coogs
08-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Didn't see this posted. Sorry if re-post. Sounds as if Gun wants Bell to win out since he pimped for him so hard...

Fox in the hunt for job
Linebacker is giving Bell plenty of competition for a starting position.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
The Chiefs waited patiently last season for the free agent supposed to make the biggest splash to make any kind of impact at all.

It never happened for linebacker Kendrell Bell. He looked like a player coming off a year of inactivity and was only seventh on the team in tackles.

The Chiefs stayed with Bell in part because they had no alternative. This year, they might have one.

Keyaron Fox leads the Chiefs in preseason tackles and, based solely on their summer work, probably deserves to start over Bell at right linebacker.

That, too, hasn’t happened yet. Bell, except for brief periods at training camp, has been the starter.

Coach Herm Edwards is at least promoting the Bell-Fox battle as competition.

“No one has said, ‘I’m the guy’ yet,” Edwards said. “Both of them are playing well. You feel like you have four starting linebackers — and that’s never bad to have — and if you play all four, that’s fine. If we have to keep doing that during the season, we’ll keep doing that.”

It’s a startling admission from Edwards that Bell, a player desperately coveted last year by defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, hasn’t claimed a job yet. Cunningham viewed Bell as the explosive, playmaking linebacker the Chiefs lacked at the time.

If the position truly is competitive, the Chiefs will soon have to make a decision. Tonight’s preseason game against New Orleans at Arrowhead Stadium is the final exhibition game for the Chiefs, who begin the regular season a week from Sunday at home against Cincinnati.

Fox is trying to force the Chiefs to make a decision they would probably rather not make. They lavished a big contract on Bell last year, while Fox was a third-round draft pick in 2004, so using Fox over Bell is an admission they made a bad decision to sign the veteran.

“Every game is important for me, especially since I’m coming off an injury,” said Fox, who was lost for the season after hurting a knee in the second game last year. “I wanted to make sure they know I’m 100 percent ready to go and there’s nothing wrong with my knee.”

Edwards and Cunningham spent much of the early offseason touting Bell as crucial to their plans to reverse the team’s defensive fortunes.

The Chiefs said they didn’t see the real Bell last year because of groin and shoulder problems that forced him to miss most of the 2004 season with Pittsburgh.

“I’m gradually getting better,” Bell said. “I feel optimistic. I’m real hard on myself. I’ve thought a lot about last year. I’ve been able to practice and play in the preseason games, which is better than last year. I’m pretty happy about that.

“I feel better physically. I’m able to run. Last year, I really couldn’t do that. I feel tons better.”

Specifically, Edwards and Cunningham wanted to feature Bell’s pass-rushing skills. He had been at times a disruptive pass rusher for the Steelers and the team promised Bell would be part of their rush plans, perhaps as a hand-on-the-ground end.

The Chiefs haven’t shown that yet. Bell comes out in most passing situations in favor of nickel back Benny Sapp.

Edwards hinted it could still happen.

“There are a lot of different things you can do on defense,” he said. “We haven’t shown a lot yet. You never know. It could happen someday, maybe sooner (rather) than later.”

The addition of defensive end Tamba Hali as the first-round pick in late April may have changed at least some of the Chiefs’ plans for Bell. Hali was the featured pass rusher in his first preseason game last week against St. Louis.

The Chiefs used him occasionally as a stand-up rusher in the middle of their line.

“We have a ton of things we can do,” Bell said. “Gun has worked Tamba Hali into a lot of things. He’s trying to get him to be a stand-up guy and a down guy. Some of the things he’s doing, I’m going to do the same thing, basically. Gun has him doing it and I’m kind of like the backup.”

If the Chiefs aren’t going to use Bell as a pass rusher, Fox may be the better option. He has made more preseason plays than Bell.

“He was doing well last year before he got hurt,” middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell said of Fox. “I knew he had some talent. He’s coming on strong, had a good camp. He’s got a chance to be a real good player.”

Fox returned in the offseason uncertain where he might fit in under a new head coach or what he might have lost with the injury.

He was pleasantly surprised at both.

“I didn’t lose too much with the injury as far as mobility,” Fox said. “Now I feel like I’m a smarter player because I got to sit back and study the game for a year. So I’m in better shape than last year.”

The Chiefs may wind up using a lot of four-linebacker formations using both Fox and Bell. They used four linebackers some last year before Fox’s injury.

“We have an array of people,” Bell said. “We should use all of the talent we have.”

Hammock Parties
08-31-2006, 11:59 AM
I beat Teicher by a week. NYAH!

Radar Chief
08-31-2006, 12:01 PM
I’m real hard on myself.

Uh, huh, huh, he said “hard on”. :Elvis:

Mr. Laz
08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
The Chiefs said they didn’t see the real Bell last year because of groin and shoulder problems that forced him to miss most of the 2004 season with Pittsburgh.

“I’m gradually getting better,” Bell said. “I feel optimistic. I’m real hard on myself. I’ve thought a lot about last year. I’ve been able to practice and play in the preseason games, which is better than last year. I’m pretty happy about that.

“I feel better physically. I’m able to run. Last year, I really couldn’t do that. I feel tons better.”
the chiefs do this crap all the time ...

they get downright pissed off when anyone doubts what they say but we are always getting the "we had problems last year ... but now we are ok"

they insisted that Bell was healthy when we signed him and everyone who didn't believe it wasn't a true fan.

now we get to hear about how Bell is FINALLY healthy now. :banghead:

Goonther was all happy-happy about his head coach and his assistant coaches UNTIL they left ....... then they were the reason for our defensive problems.

does anyone over at arrowhead have an honest bone in their body?

...... seriously.

keg in kc
08-31-2006, 01:03 PM
they insisted that Bell was healthy when we signed him and everyone who didn't believe it wasn't a true fan.I remember that press conference where Goonther said Bell was healthy and anybody who said otherwise was a liar and not a real fan of the Chiefs. Then he ripped his sleeves off, donned his gold glasses and went to worship at the altar of the great Scanlon.

Ahh, the good ol' days.

shaneo69
08-31-2006, 01:34 PM

This still doesn't sound all that reassuring to me. Great, he can finally run now that his groin/sports hernia has healed, but apparently his shoulder is still messed up because I haven't seen him try to make a tackle yet this preseason.

Iowanian
08-31-2006, 01:39 PM
I think Gunther is trying to save Face by making Bell the starter.

Watching preseason games so far, Fox has been all over the place, making plays from sideline to sideline. They'd have to show me on tape why Bell should start over Fox for me to think it was legit.

Spicy McHaggis
08-31-2006, 01:40 PM
This still doesn't sound all that reassuring to me. Great, he can finally run now that his groin/sports hernia has healed, but apparently his shoulder is still messed up because I haven't seen him try to make a tackle yet this preseason.

Yeah, I'm definately not getting the impression the guy is 100%. He might not ever be again.

Spicy McHaggis
08-31-2006, 01:42 PM
I think Gunther is trying to save Face by making Bell the starter.

Watching preseason games so far, Fox has been all over the place, making plays from sideline to sideline. They'd have to show me on tape why Bell should start over Fox for me to think it was legit.

What's reassuring to me is that Fox has earned the starting spot this offseason, much more than Bell has lost it. If Bell were healthy and making plays I still think Fox would be giving him a run for his money.

Hammock Parties
08-31-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm going to be friggin' pissed if Bell is the starter.

Spicy McHaggis
08-31-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm going to be friggin' pissed if Bell is the starter.

If he does it is at least in part to Gun's ego.

Hydrae
08-31-2006, 01:59 PM
We need to find a wide body to plug in at NT and go with a 3-4 so that Bell can play inside where he was able to be an impact for the Steelers and put Fox on the outside where he obviously belongs. Otherwise, let's try to trade Bell outta here.

HC_Chief
08-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Too bad we don't have the DTs for a switch to 3-4; we have 4 starting quality LBs (DJ, Mitchell, Fox, Bell - in that order).

We could go light & mobile on the line w/ Allen, Hali, and one of the DT scrubs, but that plays against the strength of our DEs.

brent102fire
08-31-2006, 02:07 PM
the chiefs do this crap all the time ...

they get downright pissed off when anyone doubts what they say but we are always getting the "we had problems last year ... but now we are ok"

they insisted that Bell was healthy when we signed him and everyone who didn't believe it wasn't a true fan.

now we get to hear about how Bell is FINALLY healthy now. :banghead:

Goonther was all happy-happy about his head coach and his assistant coaches UNTIL they left ....... then they were the reason for our defensive problems.

does anyone over at arrowhead have an honest bone in their body?

...... seriously.

I don't believe so! Atleast you know all the people at Arrowhead could have a bright future in Politics. They would be a perfect fit in Washington, DC... :shake:

sedated
08-31-2006, 02:14 PM
I said after Trent's 24 INT year that he deserved one more year to prove that he is a player. Bell deserves the same.

but if he comes out and looks like his same fat-@ss ineffective self, cut ties and be done with it.

sedated
08-31-2006, 02:16 PM
We need to find a wide body to plug in at NT and go with a 3-4 so that Bell can play inside where he was able to be an impact for the Steelers and put Fox on the outside where he obviously belongs. Otherwise, let's try to trade Bell outta here.

yeah, lets change our whole defensive scheme for one over-paid, chronically injured player, that probably over-produced in Pittsburgh because he was in the right place at the right time :rolleyes:

Spicy McHaggis
08-31-2006, 02:20 PM
yeah, lets change our whole defensive scheme for one over-paid, chronically injured player, that probably over-produced in Pittsburgh because he was in the right place at the right time :rolleyes:

I kinda agree. Why ruin the effectiveness of Hali, Allen and Wilkerson to tailor to one player who hasn't shown a thing since he's been here?

Hydrae
08-31-2006, 02:29 PM

Sure, we should just stick with the current set up with those future hall of famers we have playing at DT now.

I know there is a reason I am posting here and not discussing this at Arrowhead with Herm but I believe you should do what you can to get your best players on the field. Outside LBer is obviously not where Bell is effective but I have little to no doubt that if he was inside (in a 3-4, not saying he should replace Mitchell, far from it) that he would have more impact than any of the tubs of lard we have at DT right now.

StcChief
08-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Fox's job to win tonite. Bell is really on the bubble IMO.

Archie Bunker
08-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Saw this on the coalition board. I didnt hear the interview.

http://www.chiefscoalition.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=53294

This is what DA said. Take it for you want. I think DA is a real Dumb Ass, but this would be interesting if true.

He said that Key Fox was named the starter last week after his performance in the game. He is starting tonight????? He played a quote of Herm's saying both players are starters and neither one has claimed it. It is nice to have four starting line backers. But during practice they had Key Fox starting at LB, and they moved Bell to DE behind Hali.

The fact of the matter that they are working Bell out at DE means they are trying a way to use him effectively.

He then speculated that Bell could end up getting cut???

He also said if Bell works out at DE, that Carlos Hall may get cut.

And that Siavii probably needs a six sack game to just make the roster.

All three are on the chop block, and Gunther's credibility is shot, since he demanded we sign Bell and trade for Hall.

Halfcan
08-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Lets go Fox!!!

shaneo69
08-31-2006, 03:17 PM
All three are on the chop block, and Gunther's credibility is shot, since he demanded we sign Bell and trade for Hall.

And draft Siavii.

jspchief
08-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Bell's problem isn't health. His problem is that his skill set doesn't fit what we're asking of him. We're asking a pass rusher to be a rangy coverage LB.

As much I'd like to say "start using him for what he does best", the reality is we need OLBs that can do everything. Otherwise we're limiting what we can do.

Kyle401
08-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Using Bell as a DE had crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure that he had the strength/size for it. Leonard Little has worked out pretty good as a DE (drinking problems aside). It will be interesting to see if he gets any snaps there tonight and how he plays. I think that it is pretty clear that he will be a liabilty in pass coverage playing OLB in the cover 2 scheme.

Halfcan
08-31-2006, 09:52 PM
Fox made plays all over the field again and led the teams in tackles for the Preseason-what did TinkerBell do?

Griffen looks better than Bell.

Halfcan
08-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Fox made plays all over the field again and led the teams in tackles for the Preseason-what did TinkerBell do?

Mr. Laz
08-31-2006, 09:57 PM
nice post, Halfcan.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2006, 09:57 PM
nice post, Halfcan.

Halfcan
08-31-2006, 10:00 PM
nice post, Halfcan.

Yep it was sooooo good it needed to be said twice. My computer is acting up.

But Bell is out of time, he really has not done anything to stand out, and got faked out by Bush tonight.

the Talking Can
08-31-2006, 10:02 PM
last year proved that Gun will play a shitty player just to save face...Gun is a dumbass and an asshole

jspchief
08-31-2006, 10:04 PM
last year proved that Gun will play a shitty player just to save face...Gun is a dumbass and an assholeWho was he supposed to play in place of Bell last year?

Halfcan
08-31-2006, 10:05 PM
last year proved that Gun will play a shitty player just to save face...Gun is a dumbass and an asshole

It starts with King Carl-how else do you explain, Hicks and Junior?

the Talking Can
08-31-2006, 10:09 PM
It starts with King Carl-how else do you explain, Hicks and Junior?

Gun is a dumbass and an asshole independant of Carl's personality...

Iowanian
08-31-2006, 10:21 PM
I think the Chiefs would be better served to find a 3-4 team in need of ILB help and try to make a trade of Bell if he's not working out.....Get help at DT or draft pick to help reload the lines next spring.

Halfcan
08-31-2006, 10:27 PM
I hate to say it but Ryan Sims has looked good two games in a row. Seemed quicker tonight-but that was against scrubs. Trade bait????

boogblaster
08-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Ive always thought Bell is to slow..never gets to the ball fast enough..hurt???? BOOG...

Deberg_1990
08-31-2006, 10:46 PM
I hate to say it but Ryan Sims has looked good two games in a row. Seemed quicker tonight-but that was against scrubs. Trade bait????

I wont beleive it until i see him do it over a full season against 1st teamers. I still have zero faith in him. Ive never seen the guy dominate even 1 series in 4 years. The Chiefs will probably give him one more season to prove himself, but he will get let go after this year. I just dont see him being motivated enough to turn it around.

Logical
08-31-2006, 11:19 PM

In general, not that I would ever defend Gun, preseason is a very difficult time for an average fan to judge one player who is playing against the starters all his time vs another who is logging the majority of this time against the other teams 2nd and 3rd teamers. My main concern is the scheme Gun is running requires that position to be in coverage more than be a rush backer.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2006, 11:35 PM
as soon as he came into the game the saints started running right over him.

ChiefFan31
08-31-2006, 11:49 PM
Ive always thought Bell is to slow..never gets to the ball fast enough..hurt???? BOOG...

He isnt slow at all. He has the most powerful burst I have ever seen in a LB. But he had a real bad groin injury and has arthritic shoulders.

Jsp made a good post about him a couple up the page. He was never good in coverage, but that was hidden to some degree in Pittsburghs 3-4 scheme.

I could go on and on about that guy after his performance in his ROY campaign, but those days look to be gone for good...

Mecca
09-01-2006, 12:44 AM
I'd hope Fox looks better than Bell he's been playing against the scrubs.