PDA

View Full Version : Broncos cut Ron Dayne

09-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Broncos Cut Ron Dayne
Associated Press 9/2/2006

DENVER -- The Denver Broncos' cuts ranged from the expected -- running back Ron Dayne -- to the unexpected -- wide receiver Darius Watts.

Both players left team headquarters Saturday saying they'd been told they wouldn't make the 53-man roster.

"I kind of understand. Once I got hurt, the other guys stepped up," said Dayne, who began training camp as the starting tailback but quickly was surpassed by undrafted rookie Mike Bell and then suffered turf toe in the preseason opener and didn't play again.

Dayne missed 12 days of practices and the final three exhibition games, sealing his fate. In his absence, Bell, Cedric Cobbs and Tatum Bell all performed well.

Dayne, who won the Heisman Trophy at Wisconsin in 1999, when he finished his career as the NCAA's all-time leading rusher, finished with just 12 yards on five carries in the preseason.

He had leapfrogged Tatum Bell over the winter when Mike Anderson was waived in a salary cap move.

Watts' departure was more of a surprise. The Broncos had praised him all offseason for his improved play and he was in position to serve as the third or fourth wide receiver following Ashley Lelie's trade to Atlanta.

"I didn't see it coming," Watts said. "Tell me if anybody did."

Watts, a second-round pick out of Marshall in 2004 whose career was marked more by his big drops than his sensational skills, said his stock might have fallen because he didn't do anything on special teams this summer.

"All I can think of now is rolling on," he said.

On Friday, the Broncos informed offensive lineman Dwayne Carswell that he hadn't made the team. The 12-year veteran and one-time Pro Bowl tight end was trying to return from a life-threatening auto accident that cut short his 2005 season.

All NFL teams must trim their rosters to 53 by Saturday afternoon. Broncos punter Todd Sauerbrun will begin serving his monthlong suspension for using ephedra, a dietary supplement banned by the league, in offseason workouts.

jspchief
09-02-2006, 01:15 PM
We should sign him, he was awesome in college.

/mecca

Brock
09-02-2006, 01:16 PM

/mecca

Heh. beat me to it. :)

noa
09-02-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm surprised. After that run he had against Dallas in overtime last year, I really thought they'd hang on to him. Now their running backs are Tatum Bell and two undrafted rookies. Dayne must have had a really crappy offseason.

Thig Lyfe
09-02-2006, 01:19 PM
C'mon Carl... this is the missing piece...

noa
09-02-2006, 01:20 PM

/mecca

Don't forget that he beat out Maurice Clarett for a roster spot last year.

Hoover
09-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I bet he will be a Texan

BigChiefFan
I've always wondered if Dayne would make a good full-back or not.

Mecca
.......We have RB's and Ron Dayne lacks talent. It's one thing to give me shit but cmon......

Mr. Laz
09-02-2006, 01:22 PM
not enough balance imo

ct
09-02-2006, 01:22 PM

no way, he's a puss

RealSNR
09-02-2006, 01:23 PM

/meccaHe's also a former second rounder just like Siavii. He could be our best WR!

Ultra Peanut
09-02-2006, 01:24 PM
SIGN HIM CARL!!!!!!!!!!!

Adept Havelock
09-02-2006, 01:25 PM

/mecca

Nope. He hasn't proven he's more interested in partying and getting stoned with his buddies than he is in playing NFL football...yet.

BigChiefFan
09-02-2006, 01:25 PM
no way, he's a pussHe's got some skills, but he has always seemed to lack some heart. I know he weighs in around the pro-typical FB range and he has HB experience. He should easily know the formation of a FB's role. I'm not proposing going after him, I just have always wondered if he would be a better FB than HB.