PDA

View Full Version : Robaire Smith Available

Bill Lundberg
09-03-2006, 12:52 PM
http://fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=vtn9093sov121r&Title=Texans%20cut%205,%20claim%204

HOUSTON (AP) -The Houston Texans cut five players, including rookie running back Chris Taylor, and claimed four others off waivers on Sunday.

The move leaves the Texans with just two healthy running backs - rookie Wali Lundy and second-year player Vernand Morency - after placing Domanick Davis on the injured reserve on Saturday.

The Texans now have 52 players on their roster, one under the NFL-required limit, so they are likely to add another running back.

Also released was veteran defensive tackle Robaire Smith, rookie receiver David Anderson, and defensive backs Kevin Garrett and Michael Stone.

Smith, who has started every game the past two seasons in Houston, had 68 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks in 2005. Stone played in 13 games and had 46 tackles last season for New England.

The Texans added defensive backs Roc Alexander and Guss Scott, receiver Edell Shepherd and defensive tackle Atiyyah Ellison.

Shepherd appeared in 16 games last season for Tampa Bay and had six receptions for 103 yards and a touchdown.

RealSNR
09-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Yeah, and I hear Bruce Smith is available too...

MAKE IT HAPPEN CARL!!

The Bad Guy
09-03-2006, 12:59 PM
He was really good as a Titan.

I'd like to see him, Haynes and Rogers on this roster sometime this week.

the Talking Can
09-03-2006, 01:02 PM
he was good a couple of years ago...not sure what happened to him

htismaqe
09-03-2006, 01:14 PM
he was good a couple of years ago...not sure what happened to him

He signed a free-agent contract.

We talked about it at length when he signed with Houston...Mike and Mike were talking about how free agent tackles almost always end up being busts...

the Talking Can
09-03-2006, 01:22 PM
He signed a free-agent contract.

We talked about it at length when he signed with Houston...Mike and Mike were talking about how free agent tackles almost always end up being busts...

yeah, I remember that....he had 68 tackles last year? can that be right? why would they cut him?

he sounds like solid depth...

banyon
09-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm in. Haynes or him, then cut Hicks.

Mecca
09-03-2006, 01:42 PM
He'd be a good pickup for cheap...

milkman
09-03-2006, 01:44 PM

How about Haynes and him, then cut Hicks and Dee Brown.

Why do we need four RBs?

Mecca
09-03-2006, 01:46 PM

Why do we need four RBs?

Who knows but I highly doubt they cut Brown they seem to like him for some reason.

Although he'd probably be an upgrade over Sims or Dalton.

milkman
09-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Who knows but I highly doubt they cut Brown they seem to like him for some reason.

Although he'd probably be an upgrade over Sims or Dalton.

Yeah, I know, but as unenthused as I am about Sims and Dalton, I just can't get this whole love affair for Brown.

Mecca
09-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I know, but as unenthused as I am about Sims and Dalton, I just can't get this whole love affair for Brown.

I agree with that, if it was me Dee Brown wouldn't be on our team.....I'm not a fan of guys with no talent.

stevieray
09-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Special Teams.

This has only been mentioned like uh..ten times.

RealSNR
09-03-2006, 01:56 PM
I agree with that, if it was me Dee Brown wouldn't be on our team.....I'm not a fan of guys with no talent.Then why do you like Rogers so much?

Mecca
09-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Then why do you like Rogers so much?

Uh Charles Rogers has talent.....if you can't see that you're blind.

RealSNR
09-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Uh Charles Rogers has talent.....if you can't see that you're blind.Yeah, you're right. Ryan Sims has talent, too.

Mecca
09-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah, you're right. Ryan Sims has talent, too.

That's a little different......plus DT and WR are so different for how a guy has to work. DT might be the hardest position on the field to play you get lazy for 1 play and there goes a 25 yard run. And if the Chiefs cut Sims someone would sign him thinking they could turn him around, maybe it would work out for them, sometimes things like that happen.

Spicy McHaggis
09-03-2006, 02:08 PM
DT might be the hardest position on the field to play you get lazy for 1 play and there goes a 25 yard run.

You must have been on the line in high school. Corner is far and away the most difficult position on defense in my opinion.

RealSNR
09-03-2006, 02:10 PM
You must have been on the line in high school. Corner is far and away the most difficult position on defense in my opinion.I agree

Mecca
09-03-2006, 02:10 PM
You must have been on the line in high school. Corner is far and away the most difficult position on defense in my opinion.

Actually I was a LB......corner depends if you aren't a great athlete yea it's really hard because you're probably facing the most athletic guys on the other team.

Mr. Laz
09-03-2006, 02:12 PM

Why do we need four RBs?
ding,ding

winner!

or if Dee Brown still has the dirty photos as blackmail they can just cut WR hannon.

Mr. Laz
09-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Special Teams.

This has only been mentioned like uh..ten times.
you mean mr. doesn't return kicks, doesn't return punts and had 7 special teams tackles in 4 years ......... that Dee brown?

RealSNR
09-03-2006, 02:15 PM
you mean mr. doesn't return kicks, doesn't return punts and had 7 special teams tackles in 4 years ......... that Dee brown?Uhh.. hello.... mentor to Larry Johnson... hello...

Mecca
They'll cut Hannon when they sign Charles Rogers in the new few days.... :)

Mr. Laz
Uhh.. hello.... mentor to Larry Johnson... hello...
ROFL

Hydrae
09-03-2006, 02:17 PM
There has to be more going on here, this man has put up decent stats for the Texans the last two years. He had 53 then 68 tackles (with assists there), 2 and then 1.5 sacks (well, for a DE this could be a problem) as well as 8 and then 4 passes defended.

Mecca
09-03-2006, 02:19 PM
There has to be more going on here, this man has put up decent stats for the Texans the last two years. He had 53 then 68 tackles (with assists there), 2 and then 1.5 sacks (well, for a DE this could be a problem) as well as 8 and then 4 passes defended.

But since he's a DT....his sack total isn't that big of a deal.

HerculesRockefell
09-03-2006, 02:22 PM

The Saints claimed Haynes

Mr. Laz
09-03-2006, 02:23 PM
The Saints claimed Haynes
:banghead: :banghead:

they will probably be claiming just about every defender that gets cut

Hydrae
09-03-2006, 02:25 PM
But since he's a DT....his sack total isn't that big of a deal.

That's what I was thinking but he is listed on NFL.com as a DE. :shrug:

Mecca
09-03-2006, 02:27 PM
That's what I was thinking but he is listed on NFL.com as a DE. :shrug:

He was playing DE for them the last couple years cause they were a 3-4 team.

Bill Lundberg
09-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Gun should know enough about him from their days together at Tennessee.

Halfcan
09-03-2006, 05:18 PM
If the Texans are cutting him-he probably sucks.

I wonder if homers on other boards are saying "Junior Slavil-He was a high draft pick and the Chiefs cut him-he is huge, lets get him."

Bill Lundberg
09-03-2006, 09:08 PM
If the Texans are cutting him-he probably sucks.

I wonder if homers on other boards are saying "Junior Slavil-He was a high draft pick and the Chiefs cut him-he is huge, lets get him."

Junior Siavii wasn't a starter for the last 2 years and he hasn't had 68 tackles in his entire career much less one season

Chiefs Pantalones
09-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Did they cut him or put him on waivers? If he's on waivers, we won't see him.

milkman
09-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Did they cut him or put him on waivers? If he's on waivers, we won't see him.

He's a 6 year vet.
When he's released, he goes into the open market.

tk13
09-03-2006, 09:17 PM
I'd feel a lot better about signing him now than I was two years ago. Get him when he has something to prove, instead of right after he just got a big fat contract. No guarantees but it worked with Lional Dalton.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
He's a 6 year vet.
When he's released, he goes into the open market.

You would think with his time with Gun in Tennessee he'd be signed already.

dj56dt58
09-03-2006, 10:38 PM
we need another dt to go along james reed. i think we're just one player away from having a very good defense this year. If we have 2 decent to good dts that can get collapse the pocket, the pass rush we get from hali and allen will be much more effective. qbs will have to get rid of the ball quickly, and with surtain and law in the secondary(and hopefully pollard soon), those quick throws will turn into turnovers. However if we dont have another guy to go alongside reed, teams can just double team him and we'll still have no pass rush up the middle.

Or a cheaper way would be to put Sims in and tie a double cheeseburger around the qbs neck

Halfcan
09-03-2006, 11:02 PM
I think Sims will step up and have a break out year.

The Poz
09-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Titans | Team expressing an interest in R. Smith
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 07:33:15 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports agent Michael Harrison, who represents free agent DT Robaire Smith (Texans), said Titans general manager Floyd Reese called asking about his client, who was released by the Houston Texans. Smith played for the Titans from 2000-03, and then signed with the Texans as a free agent. "We'll just have to see what the numbers look like. I know they are interested in him,'' Harrison said. "Robaire is a starter in this league, and he's in his prime. He loves it there. But I'm sure we'll get quite a few calls and we'll just have to see where things go.''

Chieftain58
09-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Wasn't their Defense worst in the league?

cowace2
09-04-2006, 09:57 AM
I'd usually argue that signing aging defensive players is not the way to win, but it seems like a lot of teams have had good results from signing older DTs.

I dunno...couldn't hurt. I don't think.

Charles Rogers is available!

CupidStunt
09-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Peterson won't cut anyone to make room for him. Or at least one of the tackles we have.

I wouldn't mind seeing him signed and wave goodbye to Derrick Ross, but it just isn't going to happen.

BigChiefFan
09-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Robaire is definitely an intriquing prospect for the Chiefs. I think we could easily cut Hannon and make room for Smith. That said, I'm just surprised to hear the Texans released him.

Spicy McHaggis
09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
"Robaire is a starter in this league, and he's in his prime.

Ah I love agent speak.

I think he meant to say "Robaire was a starter in this league, until the lowly Houston Texans canned his ass."

That said, I was interested in the guy during his first free agent bout and our DT's outside of Reed haven't shown much.

Wilson8
09-04-2006, 10:04 PM
The decision to waive Smith was a surprise because he had been a starter. Smith was a starter under Dom Capers from the time the Texans signed him as an unrestricted free agent from the Tennessee Titans.

Seth Payne, who had been backing up Smith and Travis Johnson, moves into the starting lineup.

"It was a combination of Seth Payne playing very, very well and Robaire's big contract," Kubiak said. "Seth has been doing well ever since camp began, and we believe he deserves this opportunity (to start)."

As a vested veteran, Smith is free to negotiate with any team. Because he's a classic 4-3 tackle who has also played end in a three-man front, he should be a hot commodity on the free-agent market.

Ellison, the Carolina Panthers' third-round pick in 2005, is replacing Smith on the roster.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4161366.html

Rain Man
09-04-2006, 10:08 PM
68 tackles is a hellacious number for a defensive tackle. Have we had a defensive tackle over 30 tackles in the past decade?

Mr. Kotter
09-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Wasn't their Defense worst in the league?
He's a DT who's been playing DE...in a 3-4 sytem. He's been out of position....and the Houston system is ill-suited to his talents. :hmmm:

(I'm trying to sell myself on him, so we can see less of the DTs we have on our squad at present....) :banghead:

milkman
09-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Peterson won't cut anyone to make room for him. Or at least one of the tackles we have.

I wouldn't mind seeing him signed and wave goodbye to Derrick Ross, but it just isn't going to happen.

Ross looks like a kid with some potential, so I'd like to hold on to him, thank you.

I'd rather cut Dee Brown.

The man sucks at RB, and I haven't seen this good special teams play that everyone keeps mentioning.

alanm
09-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Ross looks like a kid with some potential, so I'd like to hold on to him, thank you.

I'd rather cut Dee Brown.

The man sucks at RB, and I haven't seen this good special teams play that everyone keeps mentioning.
They had to see something in this kid to not want him to get loose. I've not seen much of him. He must have really looked good in practice.

Spicy McHaggis
09-04-2006, 11:04 PM

Ross ran like a Mack Truck in the few carries hed had. Still, I'm a bit shocked that he made the 53 man roster. I'm glad they decided to keep him around because I feel he's one guy that might have gotten scooped up off the waiver wire.

ChiefsCountry
09-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Ross is a good keep IMO. Send him to NFLE next year maybe get some ST duty later in the year.

booger
09-05-2006, 12:46 AM
I think if we got into talks about Smith we would try to trade either Dalton or Sims. One the other hand if a team in need of a DT would go hard after Smith rather than give up a pick for one of two lesser quality players.

So probably nothing happens for us here IMO. Never know though.

jspchief
09-07-2006, 04:28 PM
For anyone who didn't catch it...
Robaire Smith was signed by the Titans