PDA

View Full Version : Unusual plane crashes, for those of you who follow such things.

Rain Man
09-03-2006, 10:45 PM
http://www.planecrashinfo.com/unusual.htm

Here's one as a teaser:

9/06/1971 Pan International
BAC-111
Hasloh, Germany
The aircraft collided with a bridge, shearing off both wings, after a double engine failure occurred during takeoff. The water-injection system to cool the engines during takeoff was inadvertently filled with kerosene instead of water.

Smed1065
09-03-2006, 10:59 PM
i assume that person responsible had a change of careers at this point, or just blamed someone under them.

it rolls downhill, you know.

Phobia
09-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Planet crashes? That's not unusual at all.

Demonpenz
09-03-2006, 11:09 PM
that one flight 210 went down after it was stung by a stingray

Frazod
09-03-2006, 11:14 PM
The water-injection system to cool the engines during takeoff was inadvertently filled with kerosene instead of water.

I'd say this goes way beyond OOPS. :spock:

Smed1065
09-03-2006, 11:21 PM
like pulling up to the pump and filling your radiator...

carlos3652
09-03-2006, 11:22 PM
The one I remember, I was actually 5 min away in my car, going towards this airport...

80 feared dead in Argentina plane crash

August 31, 1999
Web posted at: 10:41 p.m. EDT (0241 GMT)

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (CNN) -- An Argentine jetliner with nearly 100 people on board crashed during takeoff from Buenos Aires' domestic airport late Tuesday and burst into flames.

There were conflicting reports on casualties. Argentine authorities said at least 80 people were killed. But some local media claimed as many as 26 people had survived.

Television images showed fire crews spraying water on burning, twisted wreckage. Bodies were seen littering the crash site.

The plane, a Boeing 737 operated by LAPA, Lineas Aereas Privadas Argentinas, overshot the runway of Jorge Newberry airport, skidded across a service road and slammed into a golf driving range just outside the airport.

Local media reported the plane was trying to take off on a flight to the Argentine city of Cordoba at 9 p.m. local time (0000 GMT).

"It (the plane) went past the length of the runway. There is a vehicle that was hit," said an Air Force spokesman at the scene.

Police cordoned off the site as firefighters poured streams of water on the wreckage. Ambulances took away victims, sirens blaring in the night amid the confusion of the scene.

The airline had no immediate comment.

Police blocked routes all around the airport, creating huge traffic jams along key arteries.