PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Weis is the anti-Marty

FringeNC
09-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Did you guys see the end of the ND - Gtech game? ND had a 4th and a foot at midfield with a little over a minute left, up 14-10, and instead of punting, Weis went for it and got it and ended the game. Weis plays to win.

My biggest concern about Edwards is that he will always punt in such a situation.

tk13
09-04-2006, 12:19 PM
He's got guts, I don't know if I agreed with that particular call though. It was a 14-10 game and the ND defense had been playing really well. If they don't get that, GT gets the ball at midfield and has a great chance to win.

Deberg_1990
09-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Can we at least give Herm a cance to coach one Chiefs game before we rag on the guy please???

cowace2
09-04-2006, 12:23 PM
When it comes to risk-taking for the head coaches, college ball is totally different from the NFL. I'd agree with Weis's decision in the ND game, but if the same had been made by an NFL coach (especially versus a good run defense) I'd think it a pretty bad one.

Ultra Peanut
09-04-2006, 12:27 PM
I AGREE HERM SUXCKXKXS <:(>

09-04-2006, 12:31 PM
what Charlie Weis did last year with a bunch of teenagers was unreal..

and if you heard his state of the team address a couple of weeks ago..he said anybody that brings up last years accomplishments can hit the road..we have to start over..what was done last year is meaningless towards this upcoming season..he has done a great job!!!

and is already a great coach!!!

CupidStunt
09-04-2006, 12:31 PM
He's got guts, I don't know if I agreed with that particular call though. It was a 14-10 game and the ND defense had been playing really well. If they don't get that, GT gets the ball at midfield and has a great chance to win.

Concur.

Vermeil made a few calls not so different from this at times and, while it showed guts and confidence in the team, it was very risky IMO. There were one or two that I strongly disagreed with and was relieved when it didn't cost us.

FloridaMan88
09-04-2006, 12:44 PM
You PLAY to WIN the Game!

NJ Chief Fan
09-04-2006, 12:53 PM
When it comes to risk-taking for the head coaches, college ball is totally different from the NFL. I'd agree with Weis's decision in the ND game, but if the same had been made by an NFL coach (especially versus a good run defense) I'd think it a pretty bad one.

biggest difference from college to NFL, is that in college every game you have to win to have hopes for playing in the national championship, notre dame doesnt convert on that 4th and one and ga tech gets a TD theyre season is basically over and it was only theyre first game

chiefsfan1963
09-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Vermiel has taken 2 teams to the SB and won one.
Vermiel wasn't able to take the Chiefs to the SB, but he helped create one of the finest Offense in the league the past 5 years. He took a Chiefs team in shambles and accomplished a lot IMO. He has not left a team in shambles, but instead a team that should make the playoffs and be competitive in the postseason given the proper leadership.

Herm has a great opportunity to take the baton and kick ass. Herm has a lot to prove. He eventually will have to take risks and believe his players can make plays and win. Given his history he has a big challenge.
Hopefully for our sakes he'll meet that challenge.

Brock
09-04-2006, 01:03 PM
biggest difference from college to NFL, is that in college every game you have to win to have hopes for playing in the national championship, notre dame doesnt convert on that 4th and one and ga tech gets a TD theyre season is basically over and it was only theyre first game

Not really. USC played in at least a couple of championship games with a loss. I'm sure they're not the only ones. In any case, it's better to lose a game early in the season than it is to lose late.

keg in kc
09-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Not really. USC played in at least a couple of championship games with a loss. I'm sure they're not the only ones. In any case, it's better to lose a game early in the season than it is to lose late.Yeah.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see the loser of the Ohio State/Texas game playing for the title in January. Early season losses you can recover from. Or rather, an early season loss.

Crush
09-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Anyone who wins in the playoffs or big game situations is the anti-Marty.

Baby Lee
09-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Maybe if this team ever has any success outside of Marty, we'll finally be able to lay the Marty obsession to rest.

Wonder if the Bengals spent the past decade sitting around hoping their present coach doesn't turn into another Sam Wyche.

I guaran-damn-tee the Pats aren't worried about Bellichek showing signs of Parcells-ism.

NJ Chief Fan
09-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Not really. USC played in at least a couple of championship games with a loss. I'm sure they're not the only ones. In any case, it's better to lose a game early in the season than it is to lose late.
very true, but a loss against a team like ga tech would hurt notre dame, coming in ranked second in the country and losing to an unranked team. theyre a few teams that lose and go on to play for the national title, and it is better to lose early rather than in november. but i just read yesterday bout spurrier returning to florida for the 10 year national champ reunion, and florida lost its final regular season game, won the next week in the SEC title game and went on to win the title that year, so you could lose a game, but it could still hurt you in the end

KcMizzou
09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Sometimes you make a bad decision and get lucky.

Demonpenz
09-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Sometimes you make a bad decision and get lucky.

and sometimes you have to go refil your penicillin prescription *banghead*

FloridaMan88
09-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Anyone who wins in the playoffs or big game situations is the anti-Marty.

That got me thinking, was Marty's last career playoff win as a head coach that Houston Oilers game back in '94? He didn't reach the playoffs as the Deadskins HC and in his only playoff berth with the Chargers, he lost his first game (to Herm's Jets).

StcChief
09-04-2006, 03:43 PM
'The LJ Dive' last year was a guts call vs. Raiders for DV.

Much as I didn't like his happy red flag......

He did alot for the O at the D expense....

Skip Towne
09-04-2006, 03:59 PM
I don't care if Vermeil won 14 SB's. He didn't make it to the playoffs even ONCE for us.

KcMizzou
09-04-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't care if Vermeil won 14 SB's. He didn't make it to the playoffs even ONCE for us.Well, once... but I'd rather forget that game too.

Logical
09-04-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't care if Vermeil won 14 SB's. He didn't make it to the playoffs even ONCE for us.

I think you mean he did not win in the playoffs. He did make it to the playoffs when he won the AFC West at 13-3