PDA

View Full Version : Server uptime during Sunday's game...

penguinz
09-05-2006, 10:04 AM
What will the uptime of the Planet be?

Phobia
09-05-2006, 10:05 AM
The entire game, but only when the game clock is running.

htismaqe
09-05-2006, 10:12 AM
What purpose does this serve?

penguinz
09-05-2006, 10:19 AM
What purpose does this serve?
What purpose do 80% of the threads here server? Absolutely nothing other than using up more bandwidth and MySQL space.

htismaqe
09-05-2006, 10:46 AM
What purpose do 80% of the threads here server? Absolutely nothing other than using up more bandwidth and MySQL space.

So now it's about moral equivalency?

I guess you could argue that 80% of the threads here foster the growth of the community and entice people to join.

Your thread, on the other hand, discourages new members from joining. If that's what you're shooting for, then I guess it's mission accomplished.

However, I'm guessing that your agenda here, concious or not, is to spur Kyle into action. Let me be the first to tell you not to hold your breath.

Mr. Kotter
09-05-2006, 10:48 AM
....However, I'm guessing that your agenda here, concious or not, is to spur Kyle into action. Let me be the first to tell you not to hold your breath.

Damn, you are smarter than you look.... :spock:

dirk digler
09-05-2006, 10:52 AM
So now it's about moral equivalency?

I guess you could argue that 80% of the threads here foster the growth of the community and entice people to join.

Your thread, on the other hand, discourages new members from joining. If that's what you're shooting for, then I guess it's mission accomplished.

However, I'm guessing that your agenda here, concious or not, is to spur Kyle into action. Let me be the first to tell you not to hold your breath.

I think alot of users here are just frustrated.

penguinz
09-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Bingo. We have a winner.

Phobia
09-05-2006, 11:21 AM

Having been one of the few on both sides of this fence I can promise you that staff is doubly frustrated.

htismaqe

Don't get me wrong, I'm a frustrated user just like the rest of you.

But posting threads about it constantly serves no useful purpose, other than to tell prospective members "These guys have tech issues, don't sign up here."

htismaqe
Having been one of the few on both sides of this fence I can promise you that staff is doubly frustrated.

Bingo. We have a winner.

Mr. Kotter
09-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Yeah, it's kinda like getting pissed off at the wait staff because the kitchen screwed up your order......

Eleazar
09-05-2006, 11:24 AM
The site is free, so whatever uptime I get is a bonus. Not like you have the right to complain much about a free service.

dirk digler
09-05-2006, 11:27 AM

But posting threads about it constantly serves no useful purpose, other than to tell prospective members "These guys have tech issues, don't sign up here."

I understand htismage and I am not blaming anybody really except the top dog of this place. All the mods do a great job.

I think this may reach a boiling point with alot users new and old who may decide to go elsewhere.

dirk digler
09-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah, it's kinda like getting pissed off at the wait staff because the kitchen screwed up your order......

If that restaurant was your favorite place to eat but everytime you go there in the last 2 months they screwed up your order would you continue to go back?

:hmmm:

StcChief
09-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm watching from my favorite watering hole....

seclark
09-05-2006, 12:07 PM
If that restaurant was your favorite place to eat but everytime you go there in the last 2 months they screwed up your order would you continue to go back?

:hmmm:
sure...if someone else was paying for it.
sec

Saulbadguy
09-05-2006, 12:12 PM
The site is free, so whatever uptime I get is a bonus. Not like you have the right to complain much about a free service.
I take it you are not one of the members that have donated $ to support the site? I don't care if you did or not, but IMO, the people who have donated $ to the site have a right to complain. Nothing has really changed performance wise.

Mr. Kotter
09-05-2006, 12:39 PM
If that restaurant was your favorite place to eat but everytime you go there in the last 2 months they screwed up your order would you continue to go back?.

If the food was free, and the "best" around...?

Yeah. Yeah, I probably would. ;)

I understand your point, and while it gets frustrating at times.....and I wish Kyle would find the time/make the time to get around to fixing the issues here....I'm less frustrated now than when I use to spend more time here.

It may provide an opening for somone who's creative and resourceful to come along and fill the "void" being created by the technical issues here...

Who knows. I'm just along for the ride....

dirk digler
09-05-2006, 12:45 PM
If the food was free, and the "best" around...?

Yeah. Yeah, I probably would. ;)

I understand your point, and while it gets frustrating at times.....and I wish Kyle would find the time/make the time to get around to fixing the issues here....I'm less frustrated now than when I use to spend more time here.

It may provide an opening for somone who's creative and resourceful to come along and fill the "void" being created by the technical issues here...

Who knows. I'm just along for the ride....

I understand what you're saying and since this site is free, even though I have donated, I shouldn't bitch to much.

Just lately in the last couple of weeks it has been the worst since I have been here and I probably won't even try to get on this Sunday.

JBucc
09-05-2006, 12:47 PM
my leg is asleep

Mr. Kotter
09-05-2006, 12:50 PM
my leg is asleep

My left baow itches.

Ultra Peanut
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Your thread, on the other hand, discourages new members from joining.Good. More bandwidth for the rest of us...

Ultra Peanut
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
my leg is asleepMY SPOON IS TOO BIG

Calcountry
09-05-2006, 01:30 PM

But posting threads about it constantly serves no useful purpose, other than to tell prospective members "These guys have tech issues, don't sign up here."I am sure that the "server is busy" message, right after they hit the register button does a much better job of communicating that.

Calcountry
09-05-2006, 01:32 PM
The site is free, so whatever uptime I get is a bonus. Not like you have the right to complain much about a free service.agreed, the internet is only a click away when these issues arrive. I use the planet, when it is convenient for the planet.

Inspector
09-05-2006, 01:48 PM
I thought I caused this problem when I put up the new antenna last week.

chiefqueen
09-05-2006, 02:00 PM
It looks like a moderator has been abusing his/her priviledges.

Eleazar
09-05-2006, 02:10 PM
I take it you are not one of the members that have donated $ to support the site? I don't care if you did or not, but IMO, the people who have donated $ to the site have a right to complain. Nothing has really changed performance wise.

No, I haven't.

What you have always heard is that money isn't the issue, so you can't expect money to make things better. It's generous of you to give Kyle your money but I wouldn't have expected any performance increase if I had donated.

SPchief
09-05-2006, 02:11 PM
MOD ABUSE,
MOD ABUSE

jspchief
09-05-2006, 02:28 PM

But posting threads about it constantly serves no useful purpose, other than to tell prospective members "These guys have tech issues, don't sign up here."Well, sitting back and saying nothing about it certainly hasn't accomplished anything. Why not bitch? No one has really compained about the rare sporadic problems all off-season. Now the season is gearing up and the place is a bitch to get on again. Do these threads serve a useful purpose? I don't know. Maybe if there are enough of them Kyle will finally get something done. So far we know sitting back and taking it hasn't changed anything.

As for scaring people off, I'm sure when they arrive on gameday and can't get in, they'll figure it out on their own. I'm just glad I do other things on gamedays, because i can't imagien how frustrating the mess in here is.

Mr. Kotter
09-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Well, sitting back and saying nothing about it certainly hasn't accomplished anything. Why not bitch? No one has really compained about the rare sporadic problems all off-season. Now the season is gearing up and the place is a bitch to get on again. Do these threads serve a useful purpose? I don't know. Maybe if there are enough of them Kyle will finally get something done. So far we know sitting back and taking it hasn't changed anything.

Come on, Jeff. Tell us what you really think....

dirk digler
09-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Well, sitting back and saying nothing about it certainly hasn't accomplished anything. Why not bitch? No one has really compained about the rare sporadic problems all off-season. Now the season is gearing up and the place is a bitch to get on again. Do these threads serve a useful purpose? I don't know. Maybe if there are enough of them Kyle will finally get something done. So far we know sitting back and taking it hasn't changed anything.

As for scaring people off, I'm sure when they arrive on gameday and can't get in, they'll figure it out on their own. I'm just glad I do other things on gamedays, because i can't imagien how frustrating the mess in here is.

Exactly my thoughts.

tommykat
09-05-2006, 03:59 PM
If they get rid of all the stupid threads it "just" might work.....otherwise? I'll be at the game so I don't care...ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
09-05-2006, 05:34 PM
By Kickoff Sundaythis thing will blow up like the Challenger.

OldTownChief
09-05-2006, 05:43 PM
The live chat on game days beats the hell out of constantly refreashing threads anyway.

morphius
09-05-2006, 06:46 PM
We have an upgrade in place right now (well okay 15 minutes ago). I can see a HUGE performance increase already.

Austin stepped up and pulled the trigger now that he has some free time.

JBucc
09-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Austin stepped up and pulled the trigger now that he has some free time.OMG he killed Phobia?!?!?

DaFace
09-05-2006, 06:47 PM
We have an upgrade in place right now (well okay 15 minutes ago). I can see a HUGE performance increase already.

Austin stepped up and pulled the trigger now that he has some free time.

GREAT to hear. I can tell the difference, too. Any details on what he did, or if he'll be getting to the VB upgrade soon?

morphius
09-05-2006, 06:54 PM
This was a memory upgrade, we doubled it. Right now we are using no swap, previously it was 98% memory and 50% of the swap was being used.

The vB upgrade is coming soon as well, maybe this week.

morphius
09-05-2006, 06:56 PM
OMG he killed Phobia?!?!?
Have you seen Phobia's head? If Austin had wanted to kill him all he would have had to do is toss the bullet up in the air and let the gravitational field of Phobia's mellon do the rest.