PDA

View Full Version : Note about Herms press conference...

Mecca
09-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Did anyone else catch Herm today.....when he said in reference to the Chiefs "this team did something to the Bengals at the end of last year, something they shouldn't have done, I'm sure Marvin will remind his team of that".

He's basically taking a shot at Vermiel and Saunders for running up the score on them.......

Rain Man
09-05-2006, 06:01 PM
I hope Herm knows that it's legal to win by more than one score.

Calcountry
09-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Nothing like setting up a little excuse for why we might get beat eh Herm?

Mecca
09-05-2006, 06:02 PM
The last time a team thought we ran up the score on them...they raped us the next time, remember that first Broncos game last year?

Sully
09-05-2006, 06:02 PM

The whole press conference seemed to have that theme. It was the most depressing pre-opening game PC I've ever heard.

Mecca
09-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Herm also basically said our team was soft and not mentally tough.....Atleast he's honest I guess.

Crashride
09-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Yea it seemed almost as if hes expecting to loose so hes making excuses ahead of time to make himself feel better.

Hammock Parties
09-05-2006, 06:17 PM
I don't think we ran the score up. We wanted to get Dee Brown a touchdown. There was like 10 minutes left in the game. We took our foot off the gas. We could have easily scored 50.

Tribal Warfare
09-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Their's nothing wrong with slaughtering the opposition this gonna be depressing to watch our offense regress for Herm's Play "not to lose" philosophy.

OldTownChief
09-05-2006, 06:24 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Uncle_Ted
09-05-2006, 06:37 PM
F*ck Marvin and his gang of criminals if they try to use last year as a motivational tool. They're the ones that rolled over and played dead because they had nothing to play for. They pulled their starting QB after the first quarter.

We, on the other hand, were playing like we had something to prove. We were playing to salvage a little bit of pride and to send our coach off into retirement with a dominating win. Our guys were pissed because they knew they blew it in losing to Dallas and New York ... so they wanted to get a little payback by beating up on a playoff team.

I'm one of the first to criticize a coach for running up the score on the little guys, but these weren't the "little guys", they're pros. If they're just going to show up to collect their game checks, I don't want to hear them bitch about their pride when they get smashed in the mouth.

Hello Herm ... what happened to "you play to win the game!"?

What we did to the Gals last year wasn't running up the score ... it was making a statement to the rest of the NFL. A statement to every team that did make the playoffs that they're damn lucky they wouldn't have to face us in the playoffs, because if they did LJ would be coming to their town to kick their ass.

MichaelH
09-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Chad Johnson ran his mouth all over the place before the game. IF the score was run up, blame him.

Kylo Ren
09-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't believe there is anything wrong with running up the score in the NFL.

Hammock Parties
09-05-2006, 07:11 PM
VERY encouraging quote from today's PC:

When you play against a team like this who has a high-potent offense that scores a lot of points your best defense is your offense.

chief52
09-05-2006, 07:25 PM
I don't believe there is anything wrong with running up the score in the NFL.

Exactly. There is no such thing as running up the score in the NFL. If they do not want you to score then all they have to do is stop you.

Can't handle the heat??? Get the hell outta the kitchen.

tk13
09-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Also don't forget, we were not eliminated for a playoff spot. And, more importantly, the Lions were beating/tied/close with the Steelers for a decent chunk of their game. Now it wasn't any surprise the Steelers came back and picked up the W, but you can't play it that way. Especially when the Lions jumped out in front and kept it close.

morphius
09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
VERY encouraging quote from today's PC:
Of course he was talking about keeping the ball away, and not scoring points. Which means we will be playing not to score, but to control the ball.

stevieray
09-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Marvin and his gang of criminals if they try to use last year as a motivational tool. They're the ones that rolled over and played dead because they had nothing to play for. They pulled their starting QB after the first quarter.

We, on the other hand, were playing like we had something to prove. We were playing to salvage a little bit of pride and to send our coach off into retirement with a dominating win. Our guys were pissed because they knew they blew it in losing to Dallas and New York ... so they wanted to get a little payback by beating up on a playoff team.

I'm one of the first to criticize a coach for running up the score on the little guys, but these weren't the "little guys", they're pros. If they're just going to show up to collect their game checks, I don't want to hear them bitch about their pride when they get smashed in the mouth.

What we did to the Gals last year wasn't running up the score ... it was making a statement to the rest of the NFL. A statement to every team that did make the playoffs that they're damn lucky they wouldn't have to face us in the playoffs, because if they did LJ would be coming to their town to kick their ass.

Excellent post.

Chiefnj
09-05-2006, 08:55 PM
If in doubt, blame Vermeil.

keg in kc
09-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Kietzman asked Trent Green about this during his weekly radio appearance today and I was a little suprised by the answer. He essentially said there was something to it, and talked about how visibily/audibly upset the Cincinatti staff and players were during the game. He said he heard a lot of bitching from the sideline in the huddle, and reviewing game tape later could see that players and coaches were pissed. He seemed to think they would use it for motivation.

stevieray
09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Kietzman asked Trent Green about this during his weekly radio appearance today and I was a little suprised by the answer. He essentially said there was something to it, and talked about how visibily/audibly upset the Cincinatti staff and players were during the game. He said he heard a lot of bitching from the sideline in the huddle, and reviewing game tape later could see that players and coaches were pissed. He seemed to think they would use it for motivation.

I hope we do it again.

OldTownChief
09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
We should just forfeit. The whole organization is scared shitless.

keg in kc
09-05-2006, 09:15 PM
I hope we do it again.I'm expecting it. Been seeing a 31-20 win in my crystal ball for a week now.

Too bad my crystal ball's cracked.

FloridaMan88
09-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Herm in a suit and tie for the PC today?

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/C7C142533C174604BC5FAAD9730067C9.JPG?0.5881901268280928

Smed1065
09-06-2006, 12:03 AM
If in doubt, blame Vermeil.

Top offense for how many years...How many playoff wins, yes he is a master coach in KC.

We always get the leftover who can not change a diaper much less adjust to the game and its always the player fault.

I just turned 65 and have a difficult time crapping much less inspiring miilonares.

Hello, Please think ahead of time.

We always seem to want to pay a player, or coach for what he has done instead of what he will do........

I thought it was just me...................

FloridaMan88
09-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Exactly. There is no such thing as running up the score in the NFL. If they do not want you to score then all they have to do is stop you.

Can't handle the heat??? Get the hell outta the kitchen.

Exactly right.

What Herm views as "running up the score" is simply continuing to attack attack attack.

The Dude Abides
09-06-2006, 12:21 AM
F*ck Marvin and his gang of criminals if they try to use last year as a motivational tool. They're the ones that rolled over and played dead because they had nothing to play for. They pulled their starting QB after the first quarter.

My sentiments exactly

Spicy McHaggis
09-06-2006, 02:34 AM
I wasn't aware that we had to watch out for a bunch of grown ass men's feelings that get paid millions of dollars to play a game. This isn't Pee-Wee football with the mercy rule, this is the NFL. If you're sick of getting scored on how about stopping somebody?

ChiefFan31
09-06-2006, 03:12 AM

Thats interesting. Trent Green actually said something that was outside of his normal compliment everybody routine.

He always makes for the most boring interviews, although I respect how he does it....its just usually predictable.

Anyways, if they were not bitching about supposedly running up the score then WTF are they talking about. Were they pissed off thinking that Eric Hicks kept falling at their right tackles knees??

Alphaman
09-06-2006, 05:28 AM
I think you guys are jumping to the wrong conclusion. I don't think it was an issue of running up the score. I think it was an issue of the Chiefs continuing to pass after they had buried the Bengals. The Chiefs tried very hard to get Green past 4000 yards in that final game and threw passes late to get it done.

That being said, if the Chiefs are tougher now as Herm says, it shouldn't matter. Yeah we hit 'em in the mouth, now we need to finish the job and win the ensuing fight. I'm still not sold on their run defense so I think LJ can have a big game.

GoTrav
09-06-2006, 05:43 AM
I think you guys are jumping to the wrong conclusion. I don't think it was an issue of running up the score. I think it was an issue of the Chiefs continuing to pass after they had buried the Bengals. The Chiefs tried very hard to get Green past 4000 yards in that final game and threw passes late to get it done.

That being said, if the Chiefs are tougher now as Herm says, it shouldn't matter. Yeah we hit 'em in the mouth, now we need to finish the job and win the ensuing fight. I'm still not sold on their run defense so I think LJ can have a big game.

wow, if they're that pissed about us passing to get 4k, I can't wait till they meet the Steelers and the guy who put Palmer's knee on backwards.

Sperm Edwards
09-06-2006, 05:51 AM
wow, if they're that pissed about us passing to get 4k, I can't wait till they meet the Steelers and the guy who put Palmer's knee on backwards.

Kimo-- he's on the Jets now.

jspchief
09-06-2006, 05:53 AM
I'm not sure how this is "making excuses" or "blaming Vermeil".

What Edwards is saying is true. And the message is that this team better be ready to play a much tougher version of the team we ended last season against.

None of this stuff is going to alter the outcome. Both teams are going to come out and play their asses off regardless of what Herm says or what happened last year. And the better team is going to win.

Sperm Edwards
09-06-2006, 05:53 AM
I have seen this before -- and some of you are right. Hermes is setting you guys up for a loss. He will now have an exscuse -- the man loves to pass blame!!

Sperm Edwards
09-06-2006, 05:56 AM
None of this stuff is going to alter the outcome. Both teams are going to come out and play their asses off regardless of what Herm says or what happened last year. And the better team is going to win.

Wow that's funny. (See last seasons opener against the J-E-T-S)

jspchief
09-06-2006, 05:56 AM
I have seen this before -- and some of you are right. Hermes is setting you guys up for a loss. He will now have an exscuse -- the man loves to pass blame!!Yea. He's probably not even going to try and win the game.

Sperm Edwards
09-06-2006, 05:58 AM
Yea. He's probably not even going to try and win the game.

Oh he'll try.. but he's just got himself a backup plan.

jspchief
09-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Wow that's funny. (See last seasons opener against the J-E-T-S)The Jets f*cking sucked last year, and got their asses kicked by a much better team.

If we lose to the Bengals, it will be because they are better. Not because of some lame comment made in Edwards' press conference.

The sooner you Jets fans understand that the reason you guys suck is because you're the Jets rather than because of Herm, the better. Besides, shouldn't you be out trading Coles away so you can trade to get him back a year later? The Jets are a joke. They brought Herm down, he didn't bring them down.

HemiEd
09-06-2006, 06:44 AM
I just turned 65 and have a difficult time crapping much less inspiring miilonares. .................

I recommend eating apples.

PastorMikH
09-06-2006, 07:14 AM
He's basically taking a shot at Vermiel and Saunders for running up the score on them.......

Dee Brown scoring a TD isn't running up the score, its pointing out that your run D is really, really bad. Seriously, any D that can't stop D Brown is going to lose by double digits.

StcChief
09-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Last time I checked the tie breaker rules score differential counts.

Bowser
09-06-2006, 07:20 AM
I have seen this before -- and some of you are right. Hermes is setting you guys up for a loss. He will now have an exscuse -- the man loves to pass blame!!

That's funny. I took his comments to be pure sarcasm.

Wichita Lineman
09-06-2006, 07:22 AM
I've kept quiet so far about this years team and this new coach,but I got to tell ya I think things are a smelling up the place in KC a little bit. Is anyone else sick of hearing about Herm? With him it's always I,me,I,me.I know he's just comparing things in the past but I sure get sick of how much he thinks of himself.Maybe it will be like T.O. or Chad Johnson you won't care as long as their doing it on the field but so far it's just a whole lot of mouth.If he doesn't produce I'm going to be sick of him in a hurry.

Bowser
09-06-2006, 07:28 AM
I've kept quiet so far about this years team and this new coach,but I got to tell ya I think things are a smelling up the place in KC a little bit. Is anyone else sick of hearing about Herm? With him it's always I,me,I,me.I know he's just comparing things in the past but I sure get sick of how much he thinks of himself.Maybe it will be like T.O. or Chad Johnson you won't care as long as their doing it on the field but so far it's just a whole lot of mouth.If he doesn't produce I'm going to be sick of him in a hurry.

Are you comparing Herm to Terrell Owens?

Chiefnj
09-06-2006, 07:32 AM

If Herm isn't making excuses then why did he say "this team did something to the Bengals at the end of last year, something they shouldn't have done"

What was Herm's point in making that statement?

jspchief
09-06-2006, 07:37 AM
If Herm isn't making excuses then why did he say "this team did something to the Bengals at the end of last year, something they shouldn't have done"

What was Herm's point in making that statement?I don't know what his point is. It's pretty open for interpretation. My guess is he's talking about how we kicked the ever-loving shit out of a team that would have given us more of a fight if they had fielded all their starters.

What is that an excuse for? Are you suggesting that if we lose it will be because of something other than the fact that the Bengals are a better team?

I'm tired of hearing about all the things Herm is going to do wrong. At least let him actually f*ck something up before you start pissing and moaning.

Inspector
09-06-2006, 07:38 AM
I just turned 65 and have a difficult time crapping much less inspiring miilonares.

Metamucil is a wonderful product. Good luck.

Fairplay
09-06-2006, 07:39 AM
I wasn't sure what to think when we got Herm Edwards. I thought later thats who we got so lets support him.

Later..............

I've listened to his press conferences and quotes in the paper. And he lacks confidence in what he says about the Chiefs. This will effect the team and their confidence also. That press conference yesterday i heard what he said about the Cinci game last time we played. Like we sinned for running up the score or something is how i took it. I also took what he says as pre-excuses for if we lose the game. This coach stinks already and the season hasn't even started.

Im jumping off the Herm bandwagon.

Fairplay
09-06-2006, 07:43 AM
We always get the leftover who can not change a diaper much less adjust to the game and its always the player fault.

I thought it was just me...................

How did this thread turn to some dude haveing a hard time pooping?

Reerun_KC
09-06-2006, 07:45 AM
They brought Herm down, he didn't bring them down.

dude this is very debatable? What has Herm done that was so great?

And dont come here with the "been to the Playoffs" crap. So what. Alot of teams go to the playoffs every year. Now if you are talking AFC championship games or Super Bowls, then great! But playoffs? Please!

Personally I feel his Marty approach ran the Jets down and will do the same to this organization. Slowly but surely he will do the same here.

HemiEd
09-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Last time I checked .

Herm, is that you?

Inspector
09-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Maybe press conferences and talking aren't Herm's strength.

I'm still gonna wait until he royally screws up the season before I start bagging on the guy.

So far he's not lost a single non-preseason game as the Chiefs head coach. All he has to do is maintain that record.

jspchief
09-06-2006, 07:50 AM
dude this is very debatable? What has Herm done that was so great?

And dont come here with the "been to the Playoffs" crap. So what. Alot of teams go to the playoffs every year. Now if you are talking AFC championship games or Super Bowls, then great! But playoffs? Please!

Personally I feel his Marty approach ran the Jets down and will do the same to this organization. Slowly but surely he will do the same here.So you agree with the Jets fans that they lost last year;s opener because of Herm rather than because the Chiefs were the better team?

And yea, he's "only" been to the play-offs. He's "only" had as many play-offs wins in 5 years as the Chiefs have had in the last 17 years.

Clearly he's ruined this team. We've already lost two pre-season games. Time to run him out of town, Jets fans were right.

Archie Bunker
09-06-2006, 07:55 AM
I wasn't sure what to think when we got Herm Edwards. I thought later thats who we got so lets support him.

Later..............

I've listened to his press conferences and quotes in the paper. And he lacks confidence in what he says about the Chiefs. This will effect the team and their confidence also. That press conference yesterday i heard what he said about the Cinci game last time we played. Like we sinned for running up the score or something is how i took it. I also took what he says as pre-excuses for if we lose the game. This coach stinks already and the season hasn't even started.

Im jumping off the Herm bandwagon.

:rolleyes:

Reerun_KC
09-06-2006, 07:56 AM
So you agree with the Jets fans that they lost last year;s opener because of Herm rather than because the Chiefs were the better team?

And yea, he's "only" been to the play-offs. He's "only" had as many play-offs wins in 5 years as the Chiefs have had in the last 17 years.

Clearly he's ruined this team. We've already lost two pre-season games. Time to run him out of town, Jets fans were right.

No I dont agree with the Jets fans on why they lost the opener, they lost because they couldnt stop the run.

Okay so you are content to just going to the playoffs? Well Me? I would like to maybe win an AFC Championship game every once in awhile or super bowl. But I guess Guys like Marty and Herm, One and done is the cherry on top for them.

Remember the game a couple of years ago SD vs the Jets in the playoffs. Prayed to God that we would never have to witness another game like that in our lifetime. 2 never will be superbowl coaches trying to out Marty each other. Now Herm is our coach = Is there a God?.

Herm is not the answer for the Chiefs.

Chiefnj
09-06-2006, 07:56 AM
So you agree with the Jets fans that they lost last year;s opener because of Herm rather than because the Chiefs were the better team?

Yes, I agree the Jets lost the game because they were outcoached.

Why do you assume the Chiefs were the better team entering week 1?

Weren't the 2004 Jets a playoff team that won a postseason game and made it to the divisional game? You had a winning playoff team going against a non-playoff team.

htismaqe
09-06-2006, 07:57 AM

What Edwards is saying is true. And the message is that this team better be ready to play a much tougher version of the team we ended last season against.

You better get with the program.

We're DOOMED.

|Zach|
09-06-2006, 07:58 AM
It seems after this year if we are going to try and bolster this Chiefs team most of you feel it is the press conference area that we should be focusing on.

Reerun_KC
09-06-2006, 07:59 AM
You better get with the program.

We're DOOMED.

DOOMED? The sky has fallen type DOOMED?

Or Herm Edwards is the Coach of the Chiefs DOOMED?

htismaqe
09-06-2006, 08:01 AM
I don't know what his point is. It's pretty open for interpretation. My guess is he's talking about how we kicked the ever-loving shit out of a team that would have given us more of a fight if they had fielded all their starters.

That's EXACTLY what he was saying.

It has nothing to do with running up the score. It has everything to do with TROUNCING a team that should have put up much more of a fight.

He's telling everybody flat-out that this Bengals team is not the pushover that they appeared at the end of last season.

htismaqe
09-06-2006, 08:02 AM
No I dont agree with the Jets fans on why they lost the opener, they lost because they couldnt stop the run.

Okay so you are content to just going to the playoffs? Well Me? I would like to maybe win an AFC Championship game every once in awhile or super bowl. But I guess Guys like Marty and Herm, One and done is the cherry on top for them.

Remember the game a couple of years ago SD vs the Jets in the playoffs. Prayed to God that we would never have to witness another game like that in our lifetime. 2 never will be superbowl coaches trying to out Marty each other. Now Herm is our coach = Is there a God?.

Herm is not the answer for the Chiefs.

You have to GET to the playoffs before you can WIN them.

htismaqe
09-06-2006, 08:03 AM
DOOMED? The sky has fallen type DOOMED?

Or Herm Edwards is the Coach of the Chiefs DOOMED?

Chiefsplanet is full of retards DOOMED.

Archie Bunker
09-06-2006, 08:05 AM
ROFL

jspchief
09-06-2006, 08:06 AM

Herm is not the answer for the Chiefs. I'm not going to claim I'm content with anything until Herm actually coaches a game or two. I'll wait and see. It sure beats pissing and moaning about something that hasn't even happened yet.

We hired a coach that has shown he can take a team with talent and get production out of it. Will he do it for us? I don't know. I know if his 5 years here mirror his 5 years in NY, it will be the best 5 year stretch the Chiefs have had in 10+ years.

Who would you have hired to be our coach? Take a look at the guys that were out there and tell me that any of them were more credible. It's not like we were some 4-12 team that fired our coach and started a rebuilding project. We hired the guy that was best suited to the needs of this team.

rad
09-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Of course he was talking about keeping the ball away, and not scoring points. Which means we will be playing not to score, but to control the ball.

That's the 2nd most retarded thing I've ever read in my life.

Fairplay
09-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Ok, so should the statement "this team did something to the Bengals at the end of last year, something they shouldn't have done"

Should the Chiefs feel bad for running up the score or something, i don't get it. And if thats what he is saying, are we suppose to get one td ahead and not play the offense to score another to be fair something?

Chiefnj
09-06-2006, 08:09 AM
We hired the guy that was best suited to the needs of this team.

Herm was the heir apparent in August 2005. Carl had his mind made up before the 2005 season started. Good ole boy network.

ChiefsLV
09-06-2006, 08:11 AM
"you play to win the game" ... "but not by more than one touchdown."..."and not by completing any passes over 15 yards" ... "and not by calling anything the defense might not expect" ... "and surely not by trying to outscore the other team, just play keep away and everything will work out in the end"

jspchief
09-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Ok, so should the statement "this team did something to the Bengals at the end of last year, something they shouldn't have done"

Should the Chiefs feel bad for running up the score or something, i don't get it. And if thats what he is saying, are we suppose to get one td ahead and not play the offense to score another to be fair something?Take it in the context of the question asked at the press conference:

Q: What do you take away from last year’s win over Cincinnati?

EDWARDS: “Nothing, not a thing. Marvin will use this as a way to motivate his football team. I know Marvin pretty well. There were some things in that game that we shouldn’t have done and I’ll leave it at that.”

Jesus. All he's saying is that Marvin Lewis is going to use the ass-kicking we handed them to try and motivate the team. I'm sure Vermeil used the same tactics motivating us after the Broncos kicked our asses several times under his tenure.

You guys act like it's some off the wall claim to suggest that coaches try to use this shit as motivation.

Reerun_KC
09-06-2006, 08:12 AM

Of course it is, you are leading the way!

htismaqe
09-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Of course it is, you are leading the way!

Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.

jspchief
09-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Herm was the heir apparent in August 2005. Carl had his mind made up before the 2005 season started. Good ole boy network.So who instead?

Again, Herm fit the team's needs. A defensive minded coach that has shown the ability to have success with a decent team built by someone else.

I don't care when Peterson targeted him (even though your claim is pure speculation) because it doesn't change the fact that Herm was the best fit.

Chiefnj
09-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Take it in the context of the question asked at the press conference:

EDWARDS: “Nothing, not a thing. Marvin will use this as a way to motivate his football team. I know Marvin pretty well. There were some things in that game that we shouldn’t have done and I’ll leave it at that.”

Jesus. All he's saying is that Marvin Lewis is going to use the ass-kicking we handed them to try and motivate the team. I'm sure Vermeil used the same tactics motivating us after the Broncos kicked our asses several times under his tenure.

You guys act like it's some off the wall claim to suggest that coaches try to use this shit as motivation.

There's a difference in saying Marvin will use last years game as motivation and saying we did some things we shouldn't have done. He's saying the old coach did something wrong and that is bullshit.

Fairplay
09-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Ok, so next time the Chiefs are playing a team and we are running on all cylinders offensive and defensive. And we have no problem scoring. We should not run up the score because two years from now we could play that same team and they will be mad at us for that and use that as motivation.

Thats ignorant thinking.

milkman
09-06-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm not going to claim I'm content with anything until Herm actually coaches a game or two. I'll wait and see. It sure beats pissing and moaning about something that hasn't even happened yet.

We hired a coach that has shown he can take a team with talent and get production out of it. Will he do it for us? I don't know. I know if his 5 years here mirror his 5 years in NY, it will be the best 5 year stretch the Chiefs have had in 10+ years.

Who would you have hired to be our coach? Take a look at the guys that were out there and tell me that any of them were more credible. It's not like we were some 4-12 team that fired our coach and started a rebuilding project. We hired the guy that was best suited to the needs of this team.

I'm not going to cry doom and gloom until Hermie actually coaches a game or two.

That being said, there's a number of people I would have hired other than Hermie.

We hired a SB winning coach, and where did that get us?

The only qualification that made Hermie the "best suited to the needs of this team" is prior head coach experience.

Sometimes that works out, and others it doesn't.

htismaqe
09-06-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm not going to cry doom and gloom until Hermie actually coaches a game or two.

That being said, there's a number of people I would have hired other than Hermie.

The only qualification that made Hermie the "best suited to the needs of this team" is prior head coach experience.

Sometimes that works out, and others it doesn't.

Once again, we totally agree.

Reerun_KC
09-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Herm was the heir apparent in August 2005. Carl had his mind made up before the 2005 season started. Good ole boy network.

I couldnt of said it better myself.

Carl wasnt going to hire anyone other than a yes man for his last 5 years as the GM..

He doesnt want any conflict or anyone to clash with.

Herm like him or not, Is the coach of the Chiefs for the next 5 years.

Sad but true.

jspchief
09-06-2006, 08:26 AM

Sometimes that works out, and others it doesn't.Well, you have to look at the context of the situation. We weren't some shitty team that was trying to start over in a new direction. People seem to forget that.

We were a team that was very close to play-off caliber. You don't take that team and throw it to some rookie head coach. You target a guy that will be able to make it a smooth transition, while addressing the needs of the team.

Herm Edwards is hardly my first choice as a head coach. But having to replace a head coach on a team this talented wouldn't be my first choice either.

We're trying to get the most out of a pretty good team that's been built. If it doesn't work, we'll know soon enough and we'll scrap the whole thing. it's not liek this team isn't going to go through massive changes in the next two years anyway.

Reerun_KC
09-06-2006, 08:27 AM
I would of Hired Htismaqe as the coach.

He seems to have all the answers and everyone else is just retarded.

jspchief
09-06-2006, 08:29 AM

He seems to have all the answers and everyone else is just retarded.Maybe you could actually answer the question instead of pouting.

Who instead of Herm? And why?

Reerun_KC
09-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Maybe you could actually answer the question instead of pouting.

Who instead of Herm? And why?

Give me a minute and I will answer this.

Trying to work and play at the same time.

htismaqe
09-06-2006, 08:31 AM

He seems to have all the answers and everyone else is just retarded.

I never offered any answers. I don't have them.

Primarily because WE HAVEN'T PLAYED A ****ING GAME YET.

The fact that you'd resort to a post like this just shows how weak your opinion is.

milkman
09-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Well, you have to look at the context of the situation. We weren't some shitty team that was trying to start over in a new direction. People seem to forget that.

We were a team that was very close to play-off caliber. You don't take that team and throw it to some rookie head coach. You target a guy that will be able to make it a smooth transition, while addressing the needs of the team.

Herm Edwards is hardly my first choice as a head coach. But having to replace a head coach on a team this talented wouldn't be my first choice either.

We're trying to get the most out of a pretty good team that's been built. If it doesn't work, we'll know soon enough and we'll scrap the whole thing. it's not liek this team isn't going to go through massive changes in the next two years anyway.

You're assuming that a rookie HC woudn't be able to make that transition smoothly.

I would contend that a qualified candidate, regardless of their resume, would be able to make that transition equally as smoothly.

But it doesn't matter at this point.
Hermie is our coach, and I will start out with the hope that he will lay to rest all, or at least some, of my concerns

jspchief
09-06-2006, 08:37 AM
You're assuming that a rookie HC woudn't be able to make that transition smoothly.
Yes, I am. Or at least that it would be less likely that a rookie head coach would make the transition as smoothly as an experienced coach who has won with someone else's team in the past.

I don't think that's an unrealistic viewpoint.

Most rookie HCs are going to have some growing pains even when molding a team in their own vision, let alone trying to tweak and engine that's already been built.

Herm isn't a sure thing, nor would some new guy have been a sure bust. I just think Peterson's playing the odds trying to get the most out of what a lot of people think is a team with a lot of potential.

noa
09-06-2006, 08:38 AM
I think Herm was just stating the obvious. First, this Bengals squad is not going to be as soft as the one we played last year. Second, not only will their talent be on the field, but they will be fired up because they got creamed last time in Arrowhead. I find these statements to be rather indisputable, so I don't understand why anyone is complaining. Yes, he said we "shouldn't" have run up the score, thereby criticizing Vermeil's last game, but plenty of coaches will tell you that running up the score on a team can come back to haunt you the next time you play them. He's really not saying anything new or anything too shocking.
We're all just going to have to get used to the fact that we won't see any 40 point games anymore, and that's fine. Plenty of great teams in the NFL succeed without scoring like the Chiefs. Its just a change of style, and hopefully, it translates to more wins and more playoff appearances.

htismaqe
09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Yes, I am. Or at least that it would be less likely that a rookie head coach would make the transition as smoothly as an experienced coach who has won with someone else's team in the past.

Most rookie HCs are going to have some growing pains even when molding a team in their own vision, let alone trying to tweak and engine that's already been built.

Herm isn't a sure thing, nor would some new guy have been a sure bust. I just think Peterson's playing the odds trying to get the most out of what a lot of people think is a team with a lot of potential.

You've been here long enough to know what would happen...

We could have hired a 1st-time head coach like Rod Marinelli, went 2-2 in the preseason, and people here would be screaming that Carl was an idiot for not hiring somebody with headcoaching experience...

Bowser
09-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Things would be much easier if Herm were a "real" fan.

Red Dawg
09-06-2006, 10:29 AM
He's clearly talking about the ass kicking we gave them. Marvins team quit because they were going into the playoffs. He means that they should not have played that bad.

HMc
09-06-2006, 10:38 AM
There's a difference in saying Marvin will use last years game as motivation and saying we did some things we shouldn't have done. He's saying the old coach did something wrong and that is bullshit.

I think you're misinterpreting "shouldn't have done". He's not (IMHO) having a stab at the old staff, he's saying that the bengals shouldn't have capitulated the way they did.

As for the passing late in the game thing, bad luck. Either put guys in who can stop it or expect to get owned. The game either matters enough for you to play hard (and with first stringers) or it doesn't.

Chris Meck
09-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I think some of you guys have jumped the shark here.

Herm wasn't saying we did something we SHOULDN'T have, he's saying we did something we shouldn't have been able to do, which was wallop a good football team by 30+ points. He's saying The Bengals are a much better team than that, and will use that whoopin' as fuel to the fire.

which, of course, any coach would do.

As for a shift in offensive philosophy, well....Trent Green is 36. Eddie Kennison is 33 (and has been VERY underrated) Gonzo is still in his prime, but for how much longer? Will Shields is 34 and almost didn't come back THIS year.

LJ is a fantastic back, but is an entirely different runner than Holmes, which has already started a change in blocking schemes-which we'd have had to do anyway because Shields and Roaf are/were very, very special players with skills and abilities that most linemen will never possess.

The transition to a more smash-mouth, power running game was already underway. The transition to a more play-action oriented passing game will probably be complete in about two years when (hopefully) young Mr. Croyle is lining up under center and Green is retired. When I say that I mean that I hope Croyle is the heir apparent, not that I hope Green is gone.

I don't think we're suddenly going to become a lousy offense. We will almost certainly not lead the league every year while the Roaf's and Shields' (and soon the Green's, and Kennisons') retire. The defense should be getting better, and that should make for a more balanced team. So let's not despair, eh?

chris

Wile_E_Coyote
09-06-2006, 11:15 AM
it wasn't Palmer's knee getting blown out that turned the Bengals into thugs. It was the Chiefs running up the score. The Chiefs staff failed to fit the profile

milkman
09-06-2006, 04:40 PM

I've tried to stay away from being negative, and maintain something of a positive outlook for the Herminizing of the Chiefs since my initial reaction to Hermie's hire.

However, I still remain skeptical about Hermie, so I don't share your belief that the transition will be any smoother than it would be if we had a fresh HC, especially had that coach kept most of the offensive staff intact as Hermie has done.

I am also, however, hoping that Hermie, like Belichick before him, has learned and grown from his previous experience, and that he can improve upon his areas of weakness.

Calcountry
09-06-2006, 06:13 PM
If in doubt, blame Vermeil.Sure, that will get Herm through Season one.

milkman
09-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Sure, that will get Herm through Season one.

No worries.

As we've seen from the Gunt, there is no end to the excuses.

Chiefnj
09-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Herm wasn't saying we did something we SHOULDN'T have, he's saying we did something we shouldn't have been able to do, which was wallop a good football team by 30+ points. He's saying The Bengals are a much better team than that, and will use that whoopin' as fuel to the fire.

Wrong. Herm was talking about running up the score.

Today he clarifies:

Q: Yesterday you said that last year’s Cincinnati’s game had some things in it that should not have been done and that Marvin would use them to motivate his team. What did you mean?

EDWARDS: “There are certain things you do in a game when the game is won that in my estimation you don’t do. Integrity of the game and sportsmanship are very, very important to me, whether you play high school football, college football or pro football. There is a thing called sportsmanship and you always have to understand that and I’m a firm believer in that. I grew up that way. I was taught that and I don’t forget that. There are certain times in a football game where you know that the game is over. You know it and the other team knows it. You have to continue to play but there’s a way you can play where you don’t rub people’s noses in it. I don’t believe in that. I think it’s bad ball. I think it’s bad sportsmanship. It sets a bad precedent and it sets you up. Eventually what goes around comes around.”

This coming from a guy who beat the Colts in the playoffs by 30+ points.

Calcountry
09-06-2006, 06:37 PM
I have seen this before -- and some of you are right. Hermes is setting you guys up for a loss. He will now have an exscuse -- the man loves to pass blame!!This Jets/Herm trolling is just laughable. ROFL

Calcountry
09-06-2006, 06:39 PM
The Jets f*cking sucked last year, and got their asses kicked by a much better team.

If we lose to the Bengals, it will be because they are better. Not because of some lame comment made in Edwards' press conference.

The sooner you Jets fans understand that the reason you guys suck is because you're the Jets rather than because of Herm, the better. Besides, shouldn't you be out trading Coles away so you can trade to get him back a year later? The Jets are a joke. They brought Herm down, he didn't bring them down.I just wish the never satiable New Yorkers could bring down the Yankees.

Calcountry
09-06-2006, 06:41 PM

What was Herm's point in making that statement?Yeah, which team exactly is he a part of now.

Didn't he say, "What happened in that family, stays in that family". A reference to what went down at NY. Well, YOU ON MY Family now, what is this, "This team chit", like you aren't a part of "This team."

Calcountry
09-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Maybe press conferences and talking aren't Herm's strength.

I'm still gonna wait until he royally screws up the season before I start bagging on the guy.

So far he's not lost a single non-preseason game as the Chiefs head coach. All he has to do is maintain that record.So 15-1 and you will be calling for his head?

Calcountry
09-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Take it in the context of the question asked at the press conference:

You guys act like it's some off the wall claim to suggest that coaches try to use this shit as motivation. I hope Marvin is just as effective as DV was, because if he is, then the Chiefs will have no problem with the Bengals this Sunday.

rocks
09-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Herm needs to get a grip and remember that this is pro ball and big money is riding on it and like it or not the spread. Wise up Herm and score as many points as you can!

CoMoChief
09-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Herm: "It's okay to punt the ball"

Ahhhh shit.

Logical
09-06-2006, 11:06 PM

Clearly he's ruined this team. We've already lost two pre-season games. Time to run him out of town, Jets fans were right.I don't agree with either, the Chiefs won that game because of the good fortune that wide open WRs were missed for potential TD at least twice probably three times.

Chris Meck
09-07-2006, 01:54 AM
well, my mistake then.

Cormac
09-07-2006, 05:46 AM
It's quite simple: LOSERS complain about the score being run up on them. Unless you're 8 years old, or you're a puss, then suck it up, and shut up. I'd NEVER complain about having the score run up on a team I was on, or the Chiefs or whoever. If you're pissed that you were beaten 77-0, then you should have stopped them the last time and held them to 70. This is my pet peeve in sports.

And while I'm at it: Herm should wait until he wins a frigging game for the Chiefs before he says another goddamn single thing about Vermeil's or anybody else's tenure in KC......veiled or otherwise. He might find it takes him a while to get off the schneid.

OK, I'm done now.

jspchief
09-07-2006, 05:59 AM
I don't agree with either, the Chiefs won that game because of the good fortune that wide open WRs were missed for potential TD at least twice probably three times.Typical Vlad.

Yea, we didn't completely dominate that game. We squeaked by on a few plays. I'm sure those WRs being missed never had a thing to do with Jared Allen camping out on Pennington's ass.

htismaqe
09-07-2006, 06:10 AM
I don't agree with either, the Chiefs won that game because of the good fortune that wide open WRs were missed for potential TD at least twice probably three times.

Of course...lightning in a bottle...

htismaqe
09-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Wrong. Herm was talking about running up the score.

Today he clarifies:

Q: Yesterday you said that last year’s Cincinnati’s game had some things in it that should not have been done and that Marvin would use them to motivate his team. What did you mean?

EDWARDS: “There are certain things you do in a game when the game is won that in my estimation you don’t do. Integrity of the game and sportsmanship are very, very important to me, whether you play high school football, college football or pro football. There is a thing called sportsmanship and you always have to understand that and I’m a firm believer in that. I grew up that way. I was taught that and I don’t forget that. There are certain times in a football game where you know that the game is over. You know it and the other team knows it. You have to continue to play but there’s a way you can play where you don’t rub people’s noses in it. I don’t believe in that. I think it’s bad ball. I think it’s bad sportsmanship. It sets a bad precedent and it sets you up. Eventually what goes around comes around.”

This coming from a guy who beat the Colts in the playoffs by 30+ points.

Did they run up the score on the Colts or could they have beaten them by 50?

Seriously, if THIS is the stuff you want to bag on Herm for, more power to ya.

Just realize that it's pretty WEAK.

HemiEd
09-07-2006, 06:26 AM
And while I'm at it: Herm should wait until he wins a frigging game for the Chiefs before he says another goddamn single thing about Vermeil's or anybody else's tenure in KC.......

Well said, I am sick of people throwing Dick under the bus.

I do not remember Dick ever saying anything negative about his predecessors.

Rausch
09-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Well, here's my first real Herm gripe.

If you can stick in the back ups and still pile the pts on that's not your fault. And if you can score 200 pts then score 200 pts.

The game is NOT over at a point when Herm feels he should win, the game is over when the last second is off the clock...

Chiefnj
09-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Did they run up the score on the Colts or could they have beaten them by 50?

Seriously, if THIS is the stuff you want to bag on Herm for, more power to ya.

Just realize that it's pretty WEAK.

I'm bagging on Herm because he's an ass. Living in Jets and Giants country exposed me to the guy for years. I'm already caught up on the Herm learning curve. When he says something stupid, I'll talk about it.

Coming out before week 1 and offering up excuses and pointing the finger at Vermeil for beating the Bengals is bush league and petty. All the people defending him that he didn't really mean what he said were wrong - Herm said something stupid. The statement is also hypocritical. Herm's Jets beat the Colts 41-0; a bigger margin than what the Chiefs beat the Bengals by.

jspchief
09-07-2006, 07:48 AM
It's going to get old hearing Herm's stupid comments this year.

It's going to get older listening to all the whining from fans following Herm's stupid comments.

Chiefnj
09-07-2006, 07:50 AM
It's going to get old hearing Herm's stupid comments this year.

It's going to get older listening to all the whining from fans following Herm's stupid comments.

It's been old listening to you the last several years. You could go to the coalition board where everything Chiefs related is a bowl of cherries.

jspchief
09-07-2006, 07:57 AM
It's been old listening to you the last several years. You could go to the coalition board where everything Chiefs related is a bowl of cherries.Yea, I'm a big homer just because I don't piss and moan about a guy that has yet to coach a game for us.

Sorry if your vagina weeps every time Herm Edwards says something. I'm just going to wait until he actually f*cks something up before I bitch.

htismaqe
09-07-2006, 01:40 PM
It's been old listening to you the last several years. You could go to the coalition board where everything Chiefs related is a bowl of cherries.

He's been here 1/3 the time you have.

picasso
09-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Did anyone else catch Herm today.....when he said in reference to the Chiefs "this team did something to the Bengals at the end of last year, something they shouldn't have done, I'm sure Marvin will remind his team of that".

I don't believe that is what Herm meant, you're just jumping to conclusions. I believe what he is talking about is the Bengals being a good playoff team last year and still were unable to stop LJ from putting a foot up their ass. The next game they lost, the one that counted. Running up the score means that the Gals let us. In that case, I don't understand it when some think that when these guys are out on the field they half ass it. You get more if you go balls to the wall but these players play to a higher level every play of the game.

We'll win on Sunday because we're the better team same as last time.
And I'll bet that CJ lands on his frickin brain before Hali buckles the knee caps of Palmer. But one thing is for sure, they will both happen Sunday.

Hound333
09-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Jared Allen camping out on Pennington's ass.

Gross, on the field even. Get a room

Hammock Parties
09-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'camping f@g.'

Calcountry
09-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Yea, I'm a big homer just because I don't piss and moan about a guy that has yet to coach a game for us.

Sorry if your vagina weeps every time Herm Edwards says something. I'm just going to wait until he actually f*cks something up before I bitch.Wrong, you are going to defend him when he fuggs something up.

htismaqe
09-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Wrong, you are going to defend him when he fuggs something up.

That's pretty rich.

Not only do you know what Herm is gonna do before he does it, but you know what little old jspchief is gonna do too...

jspchief
09-07-2006, 04:08 PM
That's pretty rich.

Not only do you know what Herm is gonna do before he does it, but you know what little old jspchief is gonna do too...I'm assuming it was sarcasm.

Having two people claim I'm a homer in the same day is just too much to fathom.

htismaqe
09-07-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm assuming it was sarcasm.

Having two people claim I'm a homer in the same day is just too much to fathom.

It's quite simple:

If you believe anything other than "Herm is going to neuter our offense" you're a homer.

Adopting a wait-and-see stance just means that you're ignoring the facts.

Calcountry
09-07-2006, 04:27 PM
That's pretty rich.

Not only do you know what Herm is gonna do before he does it, but you know what little old jspchief is gonna do too... That was pretty rich wasn't it?

Glad I could help you laugh.