PDA

View Full Version : Applying for a passport

chagrin
09-06-2006, 07:53 AM
What's the deal?

I know I have to go get the photo, and there is an application involved. With th so-called high security, will I be held back from traveling overseas? I have no warrants or felonies, shit like that. I would assume all is well, then?

What else would I need to travel, any other documents other than the passport, id, etc?

Thanks in advance

DaFace
09-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Here's the official website with more info that you can possibly ever need:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_832.html

Basically you need a photo, an ID, and a birth certificate the first time. As for actually traveling, all you need is your passport for the most part. Exceptions would be if you're carrying prescription drugs, it's a good idea to have documentation that they're legal. Also, many people recommend carrying a photocopy of your passport around just in case you lose your real one. That's about all I can think of.

alpha_omega
09-06-2006, 07:58 AM
You will need an original (or certified) copy of your birth certificate. It is a bit of a hassle, but once you get it done...they are good for 10 years. Also...be advised that the post office will not accept a credit card for payment (at least, that is the experience i had).

And...don't wait until the last minute, or it will cost you more.

Rain Man
09-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Where are you going? I hear Albania is nice this time of year.

ChiTown
09-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Business or Pleasure, and where are you heading?

Brock
09-06-2006, 08:01 AM
My advice is don't go to china.

ChiTown
09-06-2006, 08:02 AM
My advice is don't go to china.

why?

chagrin
09-06-2006, 08:04 AM
I already have an "original copy" of the birth certificate.

I am flying first to Moscow to visit an old friend from Louisiana, then to Amsterdam to visit my cousin, who lives there - he's a pothead.

I am nervious about this. I have never left the country, then to go to these places, feels weird. However, it is time for me to try something outside of my comfort zone, overcoming fear of some sort.

Brock
09-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Ahhh, Amsterdam. Want to go there bad.

chagrin
09-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Ahhh, Amsterdam. Want to go there bad.

Me too, the same friend sent me a shirt years ago, for this bar called ":The Other Place", the logo was this big bearded Biker dude, with his fist out and on his fingers were rings, with the faces of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, it was cool.

Rain Man
09-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Those would be a couple of cool places to go. I've never been to either place, but would like to.

StcChief
09-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Word of advise don't dress like an American.
Leave the Tennis shoes at home.

Rain Man
09-06-2006, 08:28 AM
I always hear people say that, but can't figure out why. I wear tennis shoes all over the place and haven't had anyone give me trouble over it.

Well, there were a couple of teenage kids on a Paris subway who looked at me and snickered once, but they were wearing striped pants and checked shirts, so they don't count.

KChiefsQT
09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I had to appy either 3 or 6 months in advance.

chagrin
09-06-2006, 08:33 AM
no shit?
So, if I want to go in December I might not be able to get my passport by then?

KChiefsQT
09-06-2006, 08:36 AM
no shit?
So, if I want to go in December I might not be able to get my passport by then?
I think it was six months; however, I could be wrong.

KChiefsQT
09-06-2006, 08:38 AM
From the American Passport site:
Q: How long does it take to get a passport?

A: That depends on the time of year submitted, because of the seasonal nature of travel. During peak travel periods, the normal processing time ranges from four to six weeks. If you need a passport more quickly you may use our service. The government also offers expedited service which normally takes 2 to 3 weeks contact your nearest acceptance agent.

LOOKS LIKE I WAS WRONG.

Braincase
09-06-2006, 09:00 AM
I can save you a lot of money by calling and reporting that your real name is Abdul Ahkmad Muhamed, and you always carry sports drinks and wear basketball shoes made by Black Cat.

Bowser
09-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Wow. I was going to post the same thread. We're taking a trip in November and need to get new passports.

You must be psychotic or something, chagrin.

Rain Man
09-06-2006, 09:05 AM
If you send some e-mails to a professor in Moscow claiming that you killed JonBenet Ramsikov, you can get free airfare to Moscow. Business class, even.

DaFace
09-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Word of advise don't dress like an American.
Leave the Tennis shoes at home.

I haven't really found that to be an issue. It will be obvious to anyone around that you're American whether you dress like it or not. I wouldn't wear a shirt around that has "F*ck France" on the back of it or anything, but otherwise you should be OK.

Skyy God
09-06-2006, 09:27 AM
You shouldn't be apprehensive about traveling to Europe. Almost everyone I ran into in Amsterdam spoke English, which lowers the degree of difficulty significantly. Most of the places I've been (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Sweden) are surprisingly laid back for big cities.

Getting a passport will take 3-4 weeks. It's not a big deal.

Moscow, no idea.

As for tennis shoes, it's wearing white socks that's the real hallmark of Americans. That, and the fact that they're significantly fatter. We're a nation of fatasses.

NJ Chief Fan
09-06-2006, 09:28 AM
CHAGRIN IS A TERRORIST

:)

Bearcat
09-06-2006, 09:44 AM
I had one expedited a few weeks ago and got it in a week.... expensive as hell, but I wasn't taking the risk of it being over the 6-8 week period. The form is online, so I thought it was pretty easy.

Jenson71
09-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Getting a passport was an extremely easy process, imo. He took a while to get, but it was easy.

HemiEd
09-06-2006, 10:10 AM
No matter which country you visit, you will appreciate the good old USA more when you get back. That has always been my experience anyway.

chagrin
09-06-2006, 10:11 AM
I can save you a lot of money by calling and reporting that your real name is Abdul Ahkmad Muhamed, and you always carry sports drinks and wear basketball shoes made by Black Cat.

I don't think the clothes will matter. I usually fly under the radar at the checkpoints here in America; then aagin, so do the terrorists. :banghead:

chagrin
09-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Wow. I was going to post the same thread. We're taking a trip in November and need to get new passports.

You must be psychotic or something, chagrin.

That's been said before, hmmm...

I was just looking at the requirements, you should have problems getting a renewal.

chagrin
09-06-2006, 10:13 AM
I haven't really found that to be an issue. It will be obvious to anyone around that you're American whether you dress like it or not.

I was just saying that to a friend here. It will be painfully obvious that I am an American as soon as I say "WTF is going on here!" in the bar, heh.

chagrin
09-06-2006, 10:13 AM
I had one expedited a few weeks ago and got it in a week.... expensive as hell, but I wasn't taking the risk of it being over the 6-8 week period. The form is online, so I thought it was pretty easy.

That's cool, I thought about that, it's an extra 60.