PDA

View Full Version : KU Basketball = not cheap parent friendly

KCChiefsMan
09-08-2006, 02:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2577728

this was actually on espn.com's front page...wow. Is it just me, or does taking a 3 month old infant to a crowded, rowdy basketball game seem like bad parenting? with that many people, many probably drunk just seems like a dangerous environment for a little baby. And then they're going to go to the press and make this news? cheap asses, pay the freaking ticket!

09-08-2006, 03:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2577728

this was actually on espn.com's front page...wow. Is it just me, or does taking a 3 month old infant to a crowded, rowdy basketball game seem like bad parenting? with that many people, many probably drunk just seems like a dangerous environment for a little baby. And then they're going to go to the press and make this news? cheap asses, pay the freaking ticket!

Meh, I see both sides with merit.

I wouldn't take my 5 year old to a game. Hell, I haven't taken my 10 yo to anything but a local arena football game yet. I want them to be able to actually watch the game and understand it before I start forking over $35 for a ticket.

StcChief
09-08-2006, 05:04 AM
Some people are just ignorant.

Same clowns that take baby's to a movie.
Disney world/land.

Certain things are NOT baby appropriate. Get overyourself and learn there is time to focus on the baby. Or get a sitter.

Saulbadguy
09-08-2006, 05:53 AM
Football. Also, repost. :P

Braincase
09-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Damn... just get a Family Pack of tickets... 2 adults, 2 kids in the Family Zone, all the home games for about $300.00 and change. Add another kid to the bill for a ridiculously low charge.

So I got these 5 tix... bet I can sell all five to some K-Stater for one game and let them pay for my next season's tix.

Saulbadguy
09-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Damn... just get a Family Pack of tickets... 2 adults, 2 kids in the Family Zone, all the home games for about $300.00 and change. Add another kid to the bill for a ridiculously low charge.

So I got these 5 tix... bet I can sell all five to some K-Stater for one game and let them pay for my next season's tix.
I remember when KU sold the family pack for $100, and the single game tickets to the K-State game for $55. They sold alot of family packs that year.

I agree though, the family pack would be a good deal for these folks.

cmh6476
09-08-2006, 08:42 AM
i took my daughter to a royals game when she was 6 days old. May not have been the smartest thing i've ever done. :|

jspchief
09-08-2006, 08:46 AM
I grew up going to games with my dad. My daughter is going to get the same experience.

I can't believe how put off people act by the thought of having a kid at a sporting event.

Mecca
09-08-2006, 08:51 AM
I grew up going to games with my dad. My daughter is going to get the same experience.

I can't believe how put off people act by the thought of having a kid at a sporting event.

It might scar them with all the cussing and such..........remember the Bengals woman who was offended at people cussing around her son. Some people are just overly sensitive.

Demonpenz
09-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Seriously I had a young kid at arrowhead keep ****ing with my laptop while I was making some moves with fantasy football. Keep the kids away from the games It's for adults.

Saulbadguy
09-08-2006, 08:54 AM

I don't have a problem with kids at a game.

Infants? Yeah, I've got a problem with that.

Eleazar
09-08-2006, 08:54 AM

I think most people would agree with you, however, kid != infant

jspchief
09-08-2006, 09:01 AM
What's an infant?

Most stadiums allow a child under 2 or 3 years old to get in free as long as they stay on your lap. So for KU to make this change, it affects more than just 3 months old babies.

Saulbadguy
09-08-2006, 09:03 AM
What's an infant?

Most stadiums allow a child under 2 or 3 years old to get in free as long as they stay on your lap. So for KU to make this change, it affects more than just 3 months old babies.
How often will a 2 or 3 year old stay on your lap the entire game? Especially a boy?

jidar
09-08-2006, 09:04 AM
If they're young enough to get in free, they shouldn't be there.
Instead of being free they ought to charge triple.

jspchief
09-08-2006, 09:11 AM
How often will a 2 or 3 year old stay on your lap the entire game? Especially a boy?We get up and leave when Natalie gets restless.

At 10 months old, she got the chance to cheer Larry Johnson on a 96 yard run against Seattle. If it would have cost me an additional $78, she wouldn't have had that chance.

There was a time when having a family was looked uopn as a good thing. Apparently now it's just an inconvenience for the "me" generation that thinks the world should only accomodate them.

IMO, this kind of thing will be the downfall of pro sports. It becomes harder and harder for the average joe to take in this kind of entertainment. It won't belong before the stadium is filled with whine and cheesers.

HC_Chief
09-08-2006, 09:13 AM
"The very small children come with backpacks and bottles and toys. ... We've received numerous complaints over the years from people who are sitting next to those people -- enough for us to know that even those sized children need the space."

Correct. When we take the kids to games we're freaking pack mules for all the shit necessary to keep them clean, fed, and entertained (toddlers have the attention span of hummingbirds on crank). All of that gear takes up space.

I'd tell that couple to buy the "Family Pack" season tickets. It's $300 ($390 w/ parking pass). There are sections specifically for these tickets (N end zone). There are lots of families in that area... lots of kids, parents, and grandparents. That's where you get the "family friendly experience".

You're an idiot if you expect the "family friendly experience" w/ tickets in the East stands near the students. You run the risk of exposure to loud, drunk, obnoxious boosters in the West stands.(Considering the price of those seats and the necessity to donate a ton of $ to the Williams Fund just for the opportunity to hold those tix, the chances of being next to a drunken obnoxious fan are relatively low; but it is possible).

Saulbadguy
09-08-2006, 09:55 AM
We get up and leave when Natalie gets restless.

At 10 months old, she got the chance to cheer Larry Johnson on a 96 yard run against Seattle. If it would have cost me an additional $78, she wouldn't have had that chance.

There was a time when having a family was looked uopn as a good thing. Apparently now it's just an inconvenience for the "me" generation that thinks the world should only accomodate them.

IMO, this kind of thing will be the downfall of pro sports. It becomes harder and harder for the average joe to take in this kind of entertainment. It won't belong before the stadium is filled with whine and cheesers.
Most of the time I do not have a problem with a family bringing a child to the game - but I just do not see what a 10 month old could possibly take in from a game. They won't remember any of that. The 2/3 year olds are the ones that annoy me. They don't sit still, don't have a seat, and alot of the time, the parents are oblivious to this.

I'll say that those like me, without children, are just looking not to get annoyed. I'll still go to games, regardless of whether children are there or not. If I were a parent, i'd leave the kid at home until I thought they could actually bring in the game and take something from it.

Eleazar
09-08-2006, 10:12 AM
We get up and leave when Natalie gets restless.

That's cool. If you are one of the people who stays as long as everything is under control, but gets up if they are not, then kudos.

I don't think it makes me a wine and cheeser to expect that people keep their children in a minimal state of order in a public place. It sounds like you do a good job of that. I think it's great that your girl can take in sports at such an early age.

Saulbadguy
09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
That's cool. If you are one of the people who stays as long as everything is under control, but gets up if they are not, then kudos.

I don't think it makes me a wine and cheeser to expect that people keep their children in a minimal state of order in a public place. It sounds like you do a good job of that. I think it's great that your girl can take in sports at such an early age.
:thumb:

Pitt Gorilla
09-08-2006, 10:32 AM

I can't believe how put off people act by the thought of having a kid at a sporting event.Being in academia, my son has been going to games since he was 8 months old. Typically, there are people around us with kids and it works out well. My son loves watching the different sports and looks forward to going. Of course, I've never had to buy him a ticket (MU was very good about this).

Pitt Gorilla
09-08-2006, 10:33 AM
How often will a 2 or 3 year old stay on your lap the entire game? Especially a boy?Most of the time. Sometimes I take him to the bathroom or the concession stand. How often do you stay seated an entire game?

Pitt Gorilla
09-08-2006, 10:37 AM

I agree. We often would leave a bit early, especially if it was too hot or sunny. We wouldn't take him if it was cold or rainy. I hate it as much as the next guy when kids roam free, cry the entire time, or do anything else to annoy the hell out of me. However, I'd argue that most of the parents I've seen at games take pretty good care of the situation.

Then again, we weren't at KU.

jidar
09-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Okay. So this thread is populated by parents who take their small children to games and the kids never act up or cause any problems for anyone. Of course.

In any case, why? I don't see how the kids get anything out of it. What does a 10 month old get out of Larry Johnson running 98 yards? Nothing. They're oblivious to it.

jspchief
09-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Okay. So this thread is populated by parents who take their small children to games and the kids never act up or cause any problems for anyone. Of course.

In any case, why? I don't see how the kids get anything out of it. What does a 10 month old get out of Larry Johnson running 98 yards? Nothing. They're oblivious to it.A 10 month old gets more out of watching grass grow than an adult gets out of a football game.

Just because they don't go talk about it on a message board, that doesn't mean it's not an amazing experience for them.

Which is harder to believe, us parents whose kids are always good, or you guys that have never met a child that didn't scream and cry non stop while running around like a monkey escaped from a zoo?

I'd rather sit next to some crying kid than some drunk idiot that can't shut his mouth long enough to realize there's a game being played.

Pitt Gorilla
09-08-2006, 11:07 AM

In any case, why? I don't see how the kids get anything out of it. What does a 10 month old get out of Larry Johnson running 98 yards? Nothing. They're oblivious to it.Well, my son has always enjoyed sports. He doesn't understand the rules, but he likes seeing the players, the mascots, and the cheerleaders would often come and get him and play with him on the sideline. My son never did "act up" or cause any problems. He still doesn't. If he got tired, he would fall asleep. Now that he's older, he enjoys the game much more.

Since I don't plan on attending events at KU, I guess I don't have to worry about your ignorant perspective.

jidar
09-08-2006, 11:09 AM
It's not that I think every toddler or baby is a problem.
It's just they're a potential problem, so why do it?
The fact that you have to leave early kind of confirms that.

jspchief
09-08-2006, 11:18 AM
It's not that I think every toddler or baby is a problem.
It's just they're a potential problem, so why do it?
The fact that you have to leave early kind of confirms that.Yea, because there's no potential problems with allowing 80k fans get drunk in the parking lot for 3+ hours before the game, and then serving them more beer once they get in the stadium.

I can see where you'd be concerned about the 50-100 toddlers that are raising hell in the stadium.

In all my years of going to games, the ratio of problem kids to out of control drunks is about 1 to 10,000. Do you think they shouldn't allow drinking in the stadium or before the game?

jidar
09-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Yea, because there's no potential problems with allowing 80k fans get drunk in the parking lot for 3+ hours before the game, and then serving them more beer once they get in the stadium.

I can see where you'd be concerned about the 50-100 toddlers that are raising hell in the stadium.

In all my years of going to games, the ratio of problem kids to out of control drunks is about 1 to 10,000. Do you think they shouldn't allow drinking in the stadium or before the game?

That's not what we're talking about.

Predarat
09-08-2006, 11:21 AM
I take my 2 year old son to games, i've been taking him since he was about 8 months old. I didn't take him to too many when he was real young but when he turned about 1 1/2 I have started taking him more. Yes he does sometimes get restless but I only take him places that have areas, such as a concourse, I can take him when he gets like that and have him burn some energy while not disturbing those in the seats. He really does seem to enjoy it, he doesn't know much about what is really going on but he loves the band, mascots, and being part of the crowd does. Of course once I took him to a game where there were a lot of fans for the other team and he cheered with them too. How embarassing!!!

Eleazar
09-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Well, my son has always enjoyed sports. He doesn't understand the rules, but he likes seeing the players, the mascots, and the cheerleaders would often come and get him and play with him on the sideline. My son never did "act up" or cause any problems. He still doesn't. If he got tired, he would fall asleep. Now that he's older, he enjoys the game much more.

Since I don't plan on attending events at KU, I guess I don't have to worry about your ignorant perspective.

Maybe at KU games all the kids are hyperactive. I don't see the problem at Chiefs games much because there aren't many kids there. The K is where it most frequently comes into play in my experience.

Take it easy on jarjar, he's a beaker after all.

jspchief
09-08-2006, 11:25 AM
That's not what we're talking about.So what are we talking about?

The distraction? because someone puking in your aisle isn't distracting? Some drunk idiot falling three rows down isn't distracting. i could go on, but i'm sure you get the point.

You guys are railing on the idea of kids at football games like they are the worst thing you could encounter. For every one obnoxious kid you encounter, you'll encounter 1000 opposing fans or drunk idiots that are twice the pain in the ass. If those clowns can be at the game, so can my kid.

buddha
09-08-2006, 11:28 AM
I think it was two years ago that KU gave football tickets away at a local supermarket because attendance was so brutal. It's interesting that they are now so high and mighty that infants have to pay as well? After the NCAA sanctions come out, I suspect we'll see KU returning to more "fan friendly" ticket policies.

jspchief
09-08-2006, 11:30 AM
I think it was two years ago that KU gave football tickets away at a local supermarket because attendance was so brutal. It's interesting that they are now so high and mighty that infants have to pay as well? After the NCAA sanctions come out, I suspect we'll see KU returning to more "fan friendly" ticket policies. :)

Pitt Gorilla
09-08-2006, 11:31 AM
I think it was two years ago that KU gave football tickets away at a local supermarket because attendance was so brutal. It's interesting that they are now so high and mighty that infants have to pay as well? After the NCAA sanctions come out, I suspect we'll see KU returning to more "fan friendly" ticket policies.It used to be that you could get a KU football ticket with a frozen orange juice purchase at Checkers.

Eleazar
09-08-2006, 11:32 AM
It used to be that you could get a KU football ticket with a frozen orange juice purchase at Checkers.

haha. That's one step above sneaking up behind people and taping tickets on them like "Kick Me" signs.