PDA

View Full Version : Where's a good spot to watch the game in Des Moines?

SBK
09-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm back in town and looking for a decent place to watch the game. Are there any places that Chiefs fans gather?

I watched a game at Damons a few years back and it was all Vikes fans. :banghead:

jspchief
09-08-2006, 11:50 AM
There used to be a Chiefs bar called Wheelies, but the name changed and I don't know if the ownership did too. It was a little place in a strip mall next to Carlos O'Kelleys on Merle Hay Rd.

I go to 3rd Base in West Des Moines, which is a huge sports bar that has all the games in areas throughout the bar. There's normally a handful of Chiefs fans, but on any given Sunday any team can have a lot of representation. The Chiefs game may get the sound because it's a good game and my buddy owns the bar, but if there's a ton of fans for a particular team, he may go with that game instead.

The only other big sportsbar I know is Trophies, and I don't know how good it really is. It's connected to the Plaza Lanes down near the 'hood.

Victor's in Urbandale might be a Chiefs bar.

SBK
09-08-2006, 11:54 AM
There used to be a Chiefs bar called Wheelies, but the name changed and I don't know if the ownership did too. It was a little place in a strip mall next to Carlos O'Kelleys on Merle Hay Rd.

I go to 3rd Base in West Des Moines, which is a huge sports bar that has all the games in areas throughout the bar. There's normally a handful of Chiefs fans, but on any given Sunday any team can have a lot of representation. The Chiefs game may get the sound because it's a good game and my buddy owns the bar, but if there's a ton of fans for a particular team, he may go with that game instead.

The only other big sportsbar I know is Trophies, and I don't know how good it really is. It's connected to the Plaza Lanes down near the 'hood.

Victor's in Urbandale might be a Chiefs bar.

Thanks, I was leaning towards Wild Wings or Champps, I'd love to be somewhere where they have the sound on, but with all the Viqueens fans around here who knows.

jspchief
09-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks, I was leaning towards Wild Wings or Champps, I'd love to be somewhere where they have the sound on, but with all the Viqueens fans around here who knows.BWW just opened, so I have no idea how they are for football.

Champs will suck. It's a restaraunt, not a sportsbar. The footwill be over-priced and don't expect to sit there for 3 hours watching the game and drinking beer.

jspchief
09-08-2006, 12:01 PM
There's another little sports bar just west of the Jordan Creek Mall if you're looking for something in that area. I believe it's called Kreigers or Kruegers.

Never been inside, but I hear the food is good, and they advertise as a sports bar.

Not sure you'll find a place where Chiefs fans are the majority. Especially if the game is on local TV (I'm sure it will be).

SBK
09-08-2006, 12:30 PM
This helps. My birthday is Sunday so I figured it'd be a much more fun way to watch the game going out somewhere. I'd rather be at Arrowhead but I don't want to pay for my whole family to go as well.

HemiEd
09-08-2006, 01:07 PM
If I were in Des Moines, I would get on 35 and drive south for 3 hours. :D

SBK
09-08-2006, 01:17 PM
If I were in Des Moines, I would get on 35 and drive south for 3 hours. :D

I wish I could. My mom, grandma, 2 brothers, wife, brother's fiance, dad, step mom and a few others would be upset with me if I did.

And no way am I buying all those friggin tickets. :)

Enjoy the game for me would ya?