PDA

View Full Version : Welbourn to play for Chiefs this year?

Marco Polo
09-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Sorry if this is a repost:

John Welbourn reportedly wants to play for the Chiefs again this year.
The veteran tackle would likely be suspended for the first six games of the season due to violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.WELBOURN WANTS BACK INLost to date in the confirmation that former Chiefs tackle John Welbourn will be suspended six games for violating the NFL's steroids policy (we reported on rumors of a suspension on July 18 (http://www.profootballtalk.com/7-16-06through7-31-06.htm)) is the obvious reality that, although Welbourn claimed that he was retiring, he really hadn't retired.If he had retired, there would be no reason to announce a six-game suspension.But now that Welbourn has successfully avoided training camp and the preseason, in which he would have been contractually required to participate notwithstanding the looming six-game suspension, Welbourn is trying to un-retire.So after the six-game suspension, the Chiefs will have to decide whether to bring him back, or whether to cut him. There's still talk that, despite the looming suspension, Welbourn walked away in June because the team wouldn't give him a raise. We've also heard rumblings that after Welbourn "retired" he was bad-mouthing the organization to tackle Willie Roaf, at a time when Roaf was going back and forth regarding the question of whether he would retire, too.The challenge for Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson, as we see it, will be to set aside the past and ask himself whether Welbourn can help to improve an offensive line that could be in shambles with the loss of both starting tackles from the 2005 season.Frankly, the fact that Kyle Turley a/k/a Crazy Joe Davola is now the starting left tackle after two years on the shelf with chronic back trouble tells us that it's time for the Chiefs to smoke the peace pipe with Welbourn.

hawkchief
09-08-2006, 12:39 PM
I suspect 6 weeks from now that Welbourne will be looking pretty attractive to the Chiefs.

KC-TBB
09-08-2006, 12:40 PM
6 game suspension would be just before the Seahawk game...we will know by then if we need him or not.

StcChief
09-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Hope he has kept in shape......Welbourne had false start issues before...

KC-TBB
09-08-2006, 12:46 PM
makes you wonder why these guys think they won't get caught with the roids...STUPID :banghead:

leviw
09-08-2006, 01:50 PM
What the hell. Is he a f-ing boxer? Make up your mind.

kcxiv
09-08-2006, 02:05 PM
I dont think he ever wanted to retire, he just knew he was busted. And when the NFL suspended him anyways, he was like i may as well come back and make some NFL cash. After all he is only 30. For a linemen he still has about 2-4 million left to get from the NFL. I know i would do it.

jspchief
09-08-2006, 02:53 PM
As much as I'd like to tell Welbourn to go f*ck himself for bailing on the team, I have a bad feeling I'm going to want him back after seeing our RTs play.

Hootie
09-08-2006, 02:53 PM
what a racist

Mr. Flopnuts
09-08-2006, 03:22 PM
what a racist

ROFL

CupidStunt
09-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Thing is, I just don't remember Welbourn being all that good. Probably never as bad as Samspon or whoever MIGHT be, but still...

Don't see them going for it, to be honest. Herm's the type of guy who rewards effort, committment, "availability".... he hasn't seen that in Welbourn and won't. Dude barely raised an eyebrow when LJ scored that game-winning touchdown, whereas every other Chief celebrated the moment.

ChiefFan31
09-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Hope we dont need him...but then again NFL Tackles that can play fairly well are tough to come by...

I really do hope Sampson learns to pass block in the meantime...

Eleazar
09-08-2006, 03:25 PM
profootballtalk.

nuff said.

penchief
09-08-2006, 04:30 PM
I've always heard that Shields plays left tackle like an all-pro, too. Considering that Welbourn's best position is right guard his return could conceivably give us a lot more flexibility on the line.

Mecca
09-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Hope we dont need him...but then again NFL Tackles that can play fairly well are tough to come by...

I really do hope Sampson learns to pass block in the meantime...

You should hope Sampson just stops getting injured at this point.

noa
09-08-2006, 04:37 PM
I bet he comes back. I just wonder if he'll be able to get by without steroids. Obviously, he felt the need for them if he got busted twice within such a short amount of time. If he can survive without his 'roids, we might as well enlist as much help as we can get.