PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question:Windows Vista

09-10-2006, 06:22 AM
First off..since I am starting this thread on sunday morning/opening day/home opener at Arrowhead.
I want to say to all you guys and gals good luck today!!!AND GO CHIEFS!!!
kick the crap out of those bung-holes today!!!

back to topic..
I am going to be purchasing a new computer within the next 6-12 months..the beast known as windows vista is coming out in late december for corporate use..and in January for home use..

the question is,should I get a computer with XP before vista comes out and not be bothered with the ''working out the kinks of vista''..

Or should I just get a new one with vista??

any feedback is appreciated!!!

DaFace
09-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Depends on how much of a hurry you're in to get a new PC! If you're not in that much of a hurry, wait until late in the year - maybe around the Christmas rush. When they first released WindowsXP, some companies offered a "free upgrade" for computers that came with Windows ME if they were purchased within a month of the release date.

If they do that again, you could potentially buy a new PC, let them "work out the kinks," but then upgrade it to Vista when you're ready for it at no cost to you. Just a thought.

09-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Depends on how much of a hurry you're in to get a new PC! If you're not in that much of a hurry, wait until late in the year - maybe around the Christmas rush. When they first released WindowsXP, some companies offered a "free upgrade" for computers that came with Windows ME if they were purchased within a month of the release date.

If they do that again, you could potentially buy a new PC, let them "work out the kinks," but then upgrade it to Vista when you're ready for it at no cost to you. Just a thought.
I'm not in a hurry to buy a new one..I just dont want to get stuck with vista and have the same problems like when XP first came out..

I want to get vista after it's been around a while

Psyko Tek
09-10-2006, 06:42 AM
dudee
always wait for second edition microsoft, or at least 2 service packs before buying

if you don't need a new OS for your applications why get it?

09-10-2006, 06:50 AM
dudee
always wait for second edition microsoft, or at least 2 service packs before buying

you just answered my question..
I will just buy one with XP later this year before vista comes out..

thanks!!

Vegas_Dave
09-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Just make sure that you get something Hardware Heavy if you plan to get Vista. It is a very big OS. My recommendations are as follows:

Dual Core Processor - An absolute must with Vista. I have played with it on many configurations and the only one so far that is truly usable was an AMD X2 (dual core 64 bit). If I was buying today, I would get an Intel Core 2 Duo with my second choice being an AMD X2.

2 Gigs RAM - Also an absolute must. Even with a dual core CPU, 1GB is really not enough to use Vista with more than a few apps open.

Video Card - Make sure that you are getting something with a GOOD video card with at least 256mb of video memory. Integrated video cards are a BAD idea with Vista. The Aero interface is very reliant on the video card. This helps keep the CPU freed up because Vista automatically goes to the GPU as the default for Vista's interface.

Other then that, make sure that you are getting a better Hard Drive with a good amount of Cache memory (16mb preferrably) as well as an SATA interface. I would recommend a 10,000 RPM drive as well.

Understand that the Vista Ready logo only means that it has the absolute basic capability to run the cheapest version of Vista.

09-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Just make sure that you get something Hardware Heavy if you plan to get Vista. It is a very big OS. My recommendations are as follows:

Dual Core Processor - An absolute must with Vista. I have played with it on many configurations and the only one so far that is truly usable was an AMD X2 (dual core 64 bit). If I was buying today, I would get an Intel Core 2 Duo with my second choice being an AMD X2.

2 Gigs RAM - Also an absolute must. Even with a dual core CPU, 1GB is really not enough to use Vista with more than a few apps open.

Video Card - Make sure that you are getting something with a GOOD video card with at least 256mb of video memory. Integrated video cards are a BAD idea with Vista. The Aero interface is very reliant on the video card. This helps keep the CPU freed up because Vista automatically goes to the GPU as the default for Vista's interface.

Other then that, make sure that you are getting a better Hard Drive with a good amount of Cache memory (16mb preferrably) as well as an SATA interface. I would recommend a 10,000 RPM drive as well.

Understand that the Vista Ready logo only means that it has the absolute basic capability to run the cheapest version of Vista.

thanks dude!!!

I appreciate this!!!

Hammock Parties
09-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Vista is gay.

eChief
09-10-2006, 09:01 AM
My son has installed Vista on his computer. There are currently problems with having drivers that work with the system as well as several of the programs he has are not functional with Vista.

I would use XP Pro. In the future I would also probably prefer Vista for corporate over the home version. In the past the home versions of the MS software seems to be really limited on it's functionality.

I run XP Pro on all of my machines. Vista will probably be used only after some of the infant mortality bugs are worked out.

Vegas Dave is right in his commentary.

09-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Vista is gay.

thanks for that input :doh!:

Adept Havelock
09-10-2006, 09:24 AM
dudee

Absolutely. Good rule of thumb for M$-When they release a new OS, they've got most of the bugs out of the old one...

ChiefsLV
09-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Windows Vista, contrary to Linux Fanboi belief, is not just pretty graphics slapped on top of an old OS. There are major changes underneath the hood. Probably not as much as 98 to XP, but still major changes. The point I'm getting at here is that by going XP and staying XP throughout the life of Vista, you will will eventually be left behind much like those users that stayed with 98 throughout XP's lifetime. I don't know if you do any PC gaming, but Direct X 10 is going to be Vista only. It also has better support for 64bit, etc. I'm waiting until I buy a new PC before I get Vista rather than upgrading my current PC when Vista comes out. It will probably be more than a year since I'm waiting for DDR3 system RAM.

Here's a good article on Vista RC1.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2012792,00.asp

morphius
09-10-2006, 10:16 AM
The best way to move to Vista will be how most people moved to XP, wait until you buy a PC with it. There are some nice things to it I'm sure, but how many of them are truly "must haves", I doubt many. Add in the high requirements it makes sense to wait for the hardware to really surpass the curent requirements.

09-14-2006, 09:55 AM
LMAO!!!!

2 days after I start this thread..my hard drive crashes!!!!

thanks for all the input!!!!

I have a kick ass machine now!!!

Eleazar
09-14-2006, 10:25 AM
The best way to move to Vista will be how most people moved to XP, wait until you buy a PC with it. There are some nice things to it I'm sure, but how many of them are truly "must haves", I doubt many. Add in the high requirements it makes sense to wait for the hardware to really surpass the curent requirements.

Exactly.

I got a free upgrade from Windows Mistake Edition to XP or else I would still be using something really old.

I don't need the cosmetic stuff and I don't game really, so I could still be using 98 or whatever and probably be fine.

Mr. Laz
09-14-2006, 10:28 AM
agree with these Psyko Tek and vegas dave

but unlike vegas i say you should get something hardware heavy irregardless of XP or Vista

imo you should always avoid M$ new software for as long as possible.

usually takes 6 months before it's even usuable ... 12 months before it's not a pain in the butt.

dudee

Dual Core Processor
2 Gigs RAM -
Video Card - .

SATA hard drive interface.

caffeinated_virus
09-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Not sure if you are a gamer or not, but if you are and can wait a little while, wait for Vista.

Vista is bringing some pretty nifty things to the gaming world:

DirectX 10 capable video cards. Basically, bigger bad a$$ video cards, which will run games much better. These cards will only run under Vista.

Besides that, a lot of under the hood changes.

I've got it installed on a test machine at work and it runs very well. I am very impressed with it so far.