PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote from Herm's post-game comments

FloridaMan88
09-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Q: When you went down the field on the first drive and kicked a field goal. When you ran the ball, people in the press box were saying it’s Herm being conservative and settling for three.

EDWARDS: “Missed communication on the call. I’ll leave it at that.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/09/10/chiefsbengals_postgame_quotes/

Up until the Trent Green injury I thought this was one of the biggest plays of the game. The Chiefs driving, with momentum early and then essentially killing their drive with the conservative playcall on third down.

I wonder if Herm actually wanted to be more aggressive in passing the ball on that play but Solari calling otherwise.

09-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Man, I am really tired of him seemingly passing the buck all the time.

Hammock Parties
The thing that really cheesed me off about that call was we ran the ball out of a formation with two tight ends and a fullback.

If you're going to run the ball on 3rd and 5, spread them out and make them think you're going to pass.

mac58
yes this play and Dantes fumble r what basically lost us the game. . .

Chiefnj
09-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I saw the quote and thought it was interesting. I don't know if it was the truth or one of Herm's classic finger pointing and not wanting to take blame.

KcMizzou
09-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Man, I am really tired of him seemingly passing the buck all the time.How many chances has he had to pass the buck, considering this is the first game he's coached for us?

Edit: Honest question... since it's hard to make a mistake if you've done nothing.

Dave Lane
09-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Actually Herm probably thought it was too agressive and called for a QB sneak.

Dave

09-10-2006, 09:06 PM
How many chances has he had to pass the buck, considering this is the first game he's coached for us?

He has done it thoughout the preseason also. He has coached four of those too ya know.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Actually Herm probably thought it was too agressive and called for a QB sneak.

Dave

I hear he wanted Green to take a knee.

JoeWillie
09-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Man, I am really tired of him seemingly passing the buck all the time.

Get used to it.

We saw it for the entire time he was here in NY.

Dave Lane
09-10-2006, 09:09 PM
I hear he wanted Green to take a knee.

I thought the same think ROFL

Dave

JBucc
09-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Another call that sucked was that stupid fake pass fake draw pass play that I beleive resulted in a sack. Took way too long to develop with our bad tackle play.

Mecca
09-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Another call that sucked was that stupid fake pass fake draw pass play that I beleive resulted in a sack. Took way too long to develop with our bad tackle play.

Al Saunders is secretly calling the plays from Washington.

09-10-2006, 09:12 PM
I thought the same think ROFL

Dave

Been minking druch?

jets526
09-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey guys, I am a Jets fan as you can guess from my username and I have to say that I feel bad for you that you got Herm this year. Although he is a good motivator and all that his game calling while he was here was atrocious and by your responses to this thread he was just as bad for you. Best of luck this year. (However ,I do hate Herm so I hope you get rid of him at some point)

jetfantakespitty
09-10-2006, 09:30 PM
guys and gals,
i have nothing against the chiefs at all, and they are acutally my second favorite AFC team. i am writing to leg you know more about your new head coach. i am an ardent jet fan, and have season tickets. i also tape every game and press conference. ladies and gentlemen, he will set back your franchise in the following ways:
1) he will not play a rookie, or a second year player.2) he will rely on the old regime. 3) he will not be innovative. 4) he double talks 5) he is completely afraid of the media, so he befriends them to such a degree, that it is disgusting. he is so scared of being second guessed in his press conferences. 5) his teams always get off to terrible starts...2001, 2002, 2003, and 2005 (he only had 6 months to prepare for this one game, and you guys handed our heads to us on a silver platter). in 2004, the media, and the fans got on him so much that he made that his training camp focus, and we finally got off to a nice start.6) he got ted cotrell, our D cooridinator, fired, and paul hackett, our O coordinator fired, HE WILL BLAME EVERYONE ELSE 7) you guys will never fake a FG, or punt, NEVER!!

you want example

jetfantakespitty
09-10-2006, 09:30 PM
guys and gals,
i have nothing against the chiefs at all, and they are acutally my second favorite AFC team. i am writing to leg you know more about your new head coach. i am an ardent jet fan, and have season tickets. i also tape every game and press conference. ladies and gentlemen, he will set back your franchise in the following ways:
1) he will not play a rookie, or a second year player.2) he will rely on the old regime. 3) he will not be innovative. 4) he double talks 5) he is completely afraid of the media, so he befriends them to such a degree, that it is disgusting. he is so scared of being second guessed in his press conferences. 5) his teams always get off to terrible starts...2001, 2002, 2003, and 2005 (he only had 6 months to prepare for this one game, and you guys handed our heads to us on a silver platter). in 2004, the media, and the fans got on him so much that he made that his training camp focus, and we finally got off to a nice start.6) he got ted cotrell, our D cooridinator, fired, and paul hackett, our O coordinator fired, HE WILL BLAME EVERYONE ELSE 7) you guys will never fake a FG, or punt, NEVER!!

you want examples
did you see today's Jet game?? jerricho cotchery was buried on our bench, all of a sudden today he has a great game...what a shocker?
listening to his press conferences are nauseating. in 2004, we were 5-0, and finished 10-6, we lost our last game, and backed into the playoffs. our genius coach, held up the letter fr

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2006, 09:35 PM
While agree with most of your sentiments, we ran a fake punt today...with a rookie, who was our free safety for a good portion of the second half.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
1) he will not play a rookie, or a second year player.

ROFL

Rookies that played for KC today: Tamba Hali, Jarrad Page
Second-year players that played for KC today: Derrick Johnson.

2) he will rely on the old regime.

Yeah. He completely revamped the defensive coaching staff and dumped the old offensive coordinator. Total reliance.

3) he will not be innovative.

He ran a fake punt. Vermeil never ran a fake punt in five years as I recall.

4) he double talks

Example?

09-10-2006, 09:38 PM
ROFL

Rookies that played for KC today: Tamba Hali, Jarrad Page
Second-year players that played for KC today: Derrick Johnson.

Yeah. He completely revamped the defensive coaching staff and dumped the old offensive coordinator. Total reliance.

He ran a fake punt. Vermeil never ran a fake punt in five years as I recall.

Example?

wow..GoChiefs just owned a Jet fan..

ATT:JET FANS

do not try and debate the Chiefs with GoChiefs..he is a professional
;)

FloridaMan88
09-10-2006, 09:43 PM
ROFL
He ran a fake punt. Vermeil never ran a fake punt in five years as I recall

This is the first time the Chiefs have run a fake punt in a regular season game since a game in Seattle with Louie Aguiar in '98 I think

Hammock Parties
Heck, didn't Herm start at least one rookie on the Jets defense last year?

blueballs
Jet fans please pray for us

09-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Heck, didn't Herm start at least one rookie on the Jets defense last year?
Kerry Rhodes

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm going to defend the Jets fan on the innovation issue. You can't call running a fake punt in a situation where everyone wearing Red was screaming for the dumb motherf*cker to go for it as being all that innovative. Innovative would be running a hook and ladder play, or having LJ throw a pass (these can also be extremely stupid). Innovative is not driving 80 yards to then run up the gut three times to ensure the golden Marty 3-ball.

BigRock
09-10-2006, 09:48 PM
The worst part about that play was that if LJ had taken the ball, he would have had 15 yards easy before anyone was near him.

Anyway, this "Herm passing the buck" talk makes absolutely no sense. First of all, the playcalling (9 carries for LJ in the first half) was the complete opposite of what the "welcome back to Martyball" doomsdayers were expecting. So, what, on that one play Herm grabbed the headset and called the play himself?

And Herm's the one who's been preaching running and controlling the clock all along. If running there and settling for 3 was what he wanted, he'd have spent 5 minutes explaining why it was the smart move, he wouldn't have backed away from it.

Plus, if you watch the press conference, Herm laughed before Whitlock finished asking the question. He probably knew the second they ran the ball that people were going to blame him for that play.

09-10-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm going to defend the Jets fan on the innovation issue. You can't call running a fake punt in a situation where everyone wearing Red was screaming for the dumb motherf*cker to go for it as being all that innovative. Innovative would be running a hook and ladder play, or having LJ throw a pass (these can also be extremely stupid). Innovative is not driving 80 yards to then run up the gut three times to ensure the golden Marty 3-ball.
well..I remember herm doing that on a 4th and 1(run a fake punt)
and I was like..with 1 yard WTF... let your offense try it before your special teams..it made no sense..

justso
09-10-2006, 10:21 PM
hi guys,

this is my first post here...being a frustrated Chiefs fan in FL, I saw Herm's postgame press conference and was anything but pleased. I'm one of these guys who wasn't jumping up & down about Herm coming to KC. I'm not thrilled with a coach who continually drowns himself in the delusional optimism. This nonsense about "oh no i'm not upset because it's fixable" is pretty press room talk. KC has more problems right now than you can shake a stick at. The offensive line looked they had no clue what the hell hit them in the first half. The reason Green is where he is right now is because the offensive line was a colossal embarassment. I never thought I'd be saying Kyle Turley might be our best lineman, but it looked like he did the best blocking. First game or not, Solari was calling piss poor plays. If Solari is calling those plays regularly, we're in for one long season. I've been watching KC for years and honestly, as a team effort, this is quite possibly as bad as I've seen them look. I knew the situation was bleak when we drive before the half, finish three & out and have to kick a field goal.

Willie Roaf was a huge loss for us, but at the same time, I'm glad he's gone. Why? Because it forces KC to look at their problems. The best KC could have ever expected out of Roaf was one more season. Asking him to come back is a band-aid solution to a surgery problem.

Herm had better wake up and realize he's got some major problems. If we've got a half-season of Damon Huard running the show, this is going to be a rough rough go-round this time. The Chiefs certainly have to be doing some serious thinking this week on how to possibly turn this thing around. Denver's going to be no easier, even though they looked like hell today.

glad to be here..

-justin

farmerchief
09-11-2006, 06:09 AM
On that particular play, I remember wandering why they just didnt go ahead and hand the ball off? Man, there was not a defender within 7 yards of LJ, he could have had a potentially big gane. I agree with you, it took way too long to develop, and they looked to be looking for the pass, as he did get sacked!

rad
09-11-2006, 06:27 AM
hi guys,

this is my first post here...being a frustrated Chiefs fan in FL, I saw Herm's postgame press conference and was anything but pleased. I'm one of these guys who wasn't jumping up & down about Herm coming to KC. I'm not thrilled with a coach who continually drowns himself in the delusional optimism. This nonsense about "oh no i'm not upset because it's fixable" is pretty press room talk. KC has more problems right now than you can shake a stick at. The offensive line looked they had no clue what the hell hit them in the first half. The reason Green is where he is right now is because the offensive line was a colossal embarassment. I never thought I'd be saying Kyle Turley might be our best lineman, but it looked like he did the best blocking. First game or not, Solari was calling piss poor plays. If Solari is calling those plays regularly, we're in for one long season. I've been watching KC for years and honestly, as a team effort, this is quite possibly as bad as I've seen them look. I knew the situation was bleak when we drive before the half, finish three & out and have to kick a field goal.

Willie Roaf was a huge loss for us, but at the same time, I'm glad he's gone. Why? Because it forces KC to look at their problems. The best KC could have ever expected out of Roaf was one more season. Asking him to come back is a band-aid solution to a surgery problem.

Herm had better wake up and realize he's got some major problems. If we've got a half-season of Damon Huard running the show, this is going to be a rough rough go-round this time. The Chiefs certainly have to be doing some serious thinking this week on how to possibly turn this thing around. Denver's going to be no easier, even though they looked like hell today.

glad to be here..

-justin

Good 1st post. Welcome!

banyon
09-11-2006, 07:51 AM
810 says that Mike Scolari "thought it was 2nd and 5 or 3rd and 2".

:spock:

Is our OC retarded, or covering for Herm?

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 07:54 AM

No wonder Herm responded the way he did.

I'm willing to give Solari some slack since it was his first game, but that's not an excusable mistake.

Bob Dole
09-11-2006, 08:12 AM

I'm willing to give Solari some slack since it was his first game, but that's not an excusable mistake.

Carl's top priority this week should be to bring in another coach.

You know...an Asssociate Coordinator for Down and Distance to help Solari keep track of all that complicated stuff.

Archie Bunker
09-11-2006, 08:16 AM

Wow. :deevee:

NaptownChief
09-11-2006, 08:19 AM
If we've got a half-season of Damon Huard running the show, this is going to be a rough rough go-round this time.
-justin

Well at least the QB injury will give Herm Average the excuse he used last year for his 4-12 effort...He probably didn't think it was possible for him to direct another 4-12 effort this year with the 10-6 team he took over when coming to KC but I actually think he has an outside chance of actually doing worse than 4-12. Should put him in a nice position for the Brady Quinn sweepstakes however.

Iowanian
09-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Who knows what happend. Its already obvious that Herm isn't exactly clear in what he's saying.

WTF is Solari supposed to do? When he has the QB throwing it down the field, Herm says Run.....He calls "herm ball" and he was wrong.

I too will cut him some slack with the first live game. The Chiefs were shoving the ball down Cinci's throat and gaining Momentum with plenty of time when green got KO'd by Geather's cheap shot.

If another Jet fan shows up after another loss to "just tell us about Herm"...I think I'm flying to NYC and climbing a clock tower.

noa
09-11-2006, 09:22 AM
I don't think its enough for Herm to just say that everything that went wrong is "correctible." Every loss in the NFL involves issues that are "correctible." The challenge is whether you can actually correct them before your season goes down the drain.

isired
09-11-2006, 09:42 AM
If another Jet fan shows up after another loss to "just tell us about Herm"...I think I'm flying to NYC and climbing a clock tower.
you look at this board, you see that you guys already know the caveats here. so i agree, it's dumb for jets fans to come in and say 'here's what you're getting'. of course you'd hope he'd learn from his mistakes and come out of NY a better coach. i thought that was exactly what would happen. but right now it doesn't look like it. it looks more like he's building the 'hallmarks' of a herm edwards team right now:
conservative playcalling
poor in-game coaching
poor clock management
pointing fingers (the underside of the bus will get crowded)
soft training camp = slow start
i liked the guy when we got him, i felt he had to leave when he left, but i truly thought the last 2 years in NY would have taught him something and he was going to go on to be a top-flight coach for you guys (to my dismay, obviously). he still may be, but up to this point it looks like he's continuing where he left off with us.

Sperm Edwards
09-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Typical Herman Edwards. He heard the fans boo the conservitive play calling so he passed the blame onto his OC. That BS might work at first.. but eventually he will run out of people to blame.

Sperm Edwards
09-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Herm Edwards is the Black George Bush.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Conservative playcalling?

ROFL

There's 15 threads on the front page wanting to know why we DIDN'T RUN THE BALL MORE...

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Sperm Edwards
09-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Simple.. you COULDN'T run the ball. When you can't run the ball and you have the Chiefs Defense you tend to fall behind in games. When you fall behind you have to pass the ball. But in the end you Play to win the game.

Iowanian
09-11-2006, 10:17 AM
I'd like to stab Jet fans with Robert Geather's neckbone.

DumbF@CKS everywhere.

When the Line is playing like ass, and they aren't converting 1st downs, its going to cut down on ALL of the plays they run.

isired
09-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Conservative playcalling?

ROFL

There's 15 threads on the front page wanting to know why we DIDN'T RUN THE BALL MORE...

ROFL ROFL ROFL
if you were responding to me, i'll say this - in key situations, herm's teams seem to take the conservative route. in NY, we saw a LOT of 3rd & 5 runs fall short near the goal line, we saw a lot of 3rd & 8 draw plays outside the red zone. he tends to want to play for the FG / punt. he's said it himself: 'any possession that ends in a kick (PAT, FG, punt) is a good possession.' that sums up his offensive philosophy.

Iowanian
09-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Did Herm make the Oline block like shit? No.
Did Herm Make Dante Fumble a punt inside the 15?
Did Herm make Geathers take Green's head off in a slide when the team was moving?
Did Herm make Parker toss a pass to the corner behind him in coverage?

Starting slow...

The chiefs have started slow since Vermeil got here. The Chiefs offense has looked pretty pathetic the first 2-3 games most of the last 5 years.

isired
09-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I'd like to stab Jet fans with Robert Geather's neckbone.

DumbF@CKS everywhere.

When the Line is playing like ass, and they aren't converting 1st downs, its going to cut down on ALL of the plays they run.
i'm referring to your 3rd down playcalling... you have 2 responses there: it's either conservative playcalling, or it was a mistake and he threw your OC under the bus. either way, it's vintage herm. sorry, didn't mean to make you flex your iMuscles, tough guy...

isired
09-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Did Herm make the Oline block like shit? No.
Did Herm Make Dante Fumble a punt inside the 15?
Did Herm make Geathers take Green's head off in a slide when the team was moving?
Did Herm make Parker toss a pass to the corner behind him in coverage?

Starting slow...

The chiefs have started slow since Vermeil got here. The Chiefs offense has looked pretty pathetic the first 2-3 games most of the last 5 years.
you could attribute many of those to a lax training camp. i really think herm needs to toughen up that area.

you started slow in 2004, i'll give you that, it took an opener against the ultimate slow starter last year to correct it. in 2003 you started on fire, so i'm not sure it was a trend...

Iowanian
09-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Go f@ck yourself with a chainsaw.

If any of your douchebags showed up anytime except
directly after a Chiefs loss, I'd be less likely to wish @$$
cancer on you all.

isired
09-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Go f@ck yourself with a chainsaw.

If any of your douchebags showed up anytime except
directly after a Chiefs loss, I'd be less likely to wish @$$
cancer on you all.
glad you saw fit to edit your first response!

i'll be here to congratulate you if he turns it around. i'm not predicting failure here. i'm surprised to see what you're seeing here. a part of me still thinks he'll 'get it'. he's a good guy, the team will play hard for him, the coaches stand by him, etc. the herm mentality will be a big plus if you're fighting for a playoff spot in december. his players really want to play hard for him, that's no small task (though i know you've had 'players coaches' here before). for all the negatives in his last 2 years here, he had guys playing hard for an injury-ridden team with a lame-duck coach last year, and in 2004 he did rally us for an amazing and improbable playoff run. i'm not here trying to say it's all bad, and i'm definitely not here because we won. nobody's mistaking the titans for the bengals, that's for sure.

Easy 6
09-11-2006, 12:39 PM
I for one am not ready to throw Herm in a burlap sack and toss him off a bridge yet. But there might be a disturbing trend developing. It reminds me of a photo shop special that I think GOCHIEFS posted a few weeks ago in which Herm was driving the bus over DV as Gun and Sims looked on.The look on Herm's face had me gigglin' like a girl touched in a "special" way for the first time. Truly priceless...... ROFL