PDA

View Full Version : I personally do not think Geathers' hit was cheap.

chief52
09-10-2006, 10:13 PM
While I too am pissed that Green went down, I do not think Geathers' hit was a cheap shot. Border line, yes. But that is legal. Trent ran for all he could and then started his slide. I believe Geathers had already committed at that point. The NFL is a very tough business. Green was hit extremely hard, but I do not see it as an illegal hit.

Just my thoughts.

Sure-Oz
09-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Kyle Turley should've ripped off Geathers helmet and thrown him.

09-10-2006, 10:16 PM
It wasn't cheap at all. It was very, very expensive.

Ebolapox
09-10-2006, 10:17 PM
...I think you're entitled to your own opinion... he...was...sliding...which...means....he....is....considered....vulnerable....which....means...he... is....not....supposed....to....be.....TOUCHED....in....the...least.....f*ck.....the.....refs.....f*c k....jumpy....errr....billyjoe......geathers.....

cdcox
And how many times have we been called for ticky tack crap that was no where near that burtal over the years? NFL is a tough business, but there are rules and the ones protecting the QB are the most stridently enforced. Once a QB begins to go down, you have to do everything in your power to ease up.

chop
Geathers would have had to "commit" after Green went into his slide which would make it illegal.

58-4ever

With his head still inside. Then, he should go back to Geathers' house, rape his wife and kids, kill them, and burn the ****ing house to the ground.

burt
09-10-2006, 10:18 PM
An Illegal hit and a cheap shot can be 2 different things...I believe this was a cheap shot...and will wait for the fine before I say it was illegal....but I think it will be deemed illegal as well as a cheap shot.

chief52
09-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Geathers would have had to "commit" after Green went into his slide which would make it illegal.

That is the way I see it as well. Trent waited until the last split second as he is that kind of guy. Geathers had already committed when he started his slide.

Mecca
09-10-2006, 10:19 PM

He couldn't man, he was to busy having his entire body thrown at Trent Green by Justin Smith.

Bwana
09-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Cheap shot

chop
09-10-2006, 10:21 PM
As soon as a QB starts to slide he is considered down. When they mark/place the ball, they mark it at the start of the slide not the end.

KcMizzou
09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Justin Smith.There's a Mizzou guy who's made a decent career for himself. You don't really hear much about him though...

Crashride
09-10-2006, 10:23 PM
I agree with the cheat shot comment and feel this could have been avoided. Everyone knows when an immobile qb decides to run they always slide, Geathers surely knows this too he could have eased up and just touched him, he knew what he was doing. But we have to get over that, its just how some players are and its a battle well keep losing, time to look foward and find another way to win for a few weeks

Mecca
09-10-2006, 10:23 PM
There's a Mizzou guy who's made a decent career for himself. You don't really hear much about him though...

Well he's really good at throwing Kyle Turley at Trent Green like he's a lawn dart.....man I hope that's not a theme for this year with Turleys light weight.

DJ's left nut
09-10-2006, 10:29 PM
And how many times have we been called for ticky tack crap that was no where near that burtal over the years? NFL is a tough business, but there are rules and the ones protecting the QB are the most stridently enforced. Once a QB begins to go down, you have to do everything in your power to ease up.

I had the dallas game on the other channel and about 5 minutes after the green hit, there was an even less flagrant example of it in the Dallas game and the flag was thrown. Leftwich got up screaming and yelling, out came the flag. They showed the Green hit on the Dallas game and the broadcasters were appaled that a flag wasn't thrown.

Moral of the story: If you're going to take a dirty shot on the QB, make sure it's good enough that the poor bastard can't complain about it. Green couldn't stand up and shame the ref into throwing the flag like Leftwich did.

And yes, that hit was dirty as hell. It was a dive down low on a QB that was heading towards the sideline. He started the dive before Green slid and could easily have let up on it. Instead he tucked his head into Green's chest (it wasn't his helmet) and cranked him. He knew exactly what he was doing. Even had Green slid earlier, Gaethers would've blasted him. Had green not slid, Gaethers probably would have blown his knee out. Bottom line, that play was as dirty as anything that cheap SOB Harrison has ever come up with. I hope beyond hope that Gaethers has someone hand him his ass before this season is out.

Screw being classy, Gaethers sure as hell wasn't. Do unto others...

09-10-2006, 10:33 PM
I had the dallas game on the other channel and about 5 minutes after the green hit, there was an even less flagrant example of it in the Dallas game and the flag was thrown. Leftwich got up screaming and yelling, out came the flag. They showed the Green hit on the Dallas game and the broadcasters were appaled that a flag wasn't thrown.

Moral of the story: If you're going to take a dirty shot on the QB, make sure it's good enough that the poor bastard can't complain about it. Green couldn't stand up and shame the ref into throwing the flag like Leftwich did.

And yes, that hit was dirty as hell. It was a dive down low on a QB that was heading towards the sideline. He started the dive before Green slid and could easily have let up on it. Instead he tucked his head into Green's chest (it wasn't his helmet) and cranked him. He knew exactly what he was doing. Even had Green slid earlier, Gaethers would've blasted him. Had green not slid, Gaethers probably would have blown his knee out. Bottom line, that play was as dirty as anything that cheap SOB Harrison has ever come up with. I hope beyond hope that Gaethers has someone hand him his ass before this season is out.

Screw being classy, Gaethers sure as hell wasn't. Do unto others...

Funny you bring Harrison up. He is the one that blew out Green's knee in St. Louis.

Halfcan
09-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Cheap shot

yep-helmet to helmet should garner a HUGE fine!!

chief52
09-10-2006, 10:45 PM

While I can see fans arguing weather Gathers could have pulled up, it was definitely NOT a helmet to helmet hit. No way. You need to take a look at a replay.

Mecca
09-10-2006, 10:46 PM

He didn't hit him with his helmet......he put his shoulder in Trent facemask though.

Chiefnj
09-10-2006, 10:48 PM
I just can't believe a flag wasn't thrown. It seems like flags are thrown when a defender gives a QB a dirty look, but Trent gets his brains scrambled while sliding and nothing? That's amazing.

What I think:

1. The QB is supposed to be off limits when he slides. The hit was cheap.

2. Kennison made contact with him, but it wasn't the reason he hit Green.

3. It was NOT helmet-to-helmet.

ChiefsCountry
09-10-2006, 10:49 PM
It was shoulder pad to helmet.

OnTheWarpath15
09-10-2006, 10:49 PM
While I can see fans arguing weather Gathers could have pulled up, it was definitely NOT a helmet to helmet hit. No way. You need to take a look at a replay.

There's zero argument whether Geathers COULD have pulled up.

TG started the motion of sliding on the CIN 47.

Geathers was on the 42 at the time.

With 5 yards between them, he COULD have avoided him entirely.

Instead, he lowers his head and.......