PDA

View Full Version : "Country Club" training camp

rageeumr
09-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Some of the guys on Sirius NFL radio yesterday were commenting about Herm's "Country Club" training camp. I knew that the players had all said how much better they liked Herm's camp vs. DV's, but I didn't know that it had been so easy that the national media had noticed.

All of the players used to bitch constantly about DV's marathon sessions, but have we gone too far in the other direction? We had to call a timeout on Cincy's first no-huddle drive because our D-line was sucking so much wind. I know it's tough to go against a no-huddle, but the offensive guys are working just as hard, and the Bengals' O-line seemed fine.

Herm himself has said that this team is not mentally tough enough yet. Are they soft because they were pampered in training camp? I'd like to get some opinions from those who were lucky enough to be there.

Simplex3
09-11-2006, 06:53 AM
I keep thinking that one day some NFL team will suit up their guys and make them play football during training camp. You know, actually tackle. That defense will be killer that year.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-11-2006, 06:53 AM
I've got some insight on this...

WE ARE NOT A GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM!!!

Chiefs Pantalones
09-11-2006, 06:54 AM
I keep thinking that one day some NFL team will suit up their guys and make them play football during training camp. You know, actually tackle. That defense will be killer that year.

Marty tried that here. It only caused the defense to be worn out by years end...

Simplex3
09-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Marty tried that here. It only caused the defense to be worn out by years end...
I'm not saying you run 8 hour days at training camp. I think the practices should be short, I just think you need to actually tackle. Once the season starts I'd strip that back heavily. Maybe only hit one day a week. It just seems to me that all the NFL coaches complain about tackling, then nobody actually practices tackling just in case someone would get hurt.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 06:58 AM
That wasn't lack of a good training camp regimen that was the problem Sunday.

It was lack of a good O-line.

rageeumr
09-11-2006, 07:01 AM
That wasn't lack of a good training camp regimen that was the problem Sunday.

It was lack of a good O-line.

I'll admit that we were going to have problems getting anything done with the play of the O Line yesterday. But the defense was pretty effective until Cincy went into the no-huddle and the Chiefs weren't able to make any substitutions.

Nzoner
09-11-2006, 07:07 AM

From everything I read Camp Marinelli was like that this last year and the Lions came out yesterday and held the NFC Superbowl represenative to 9 points while also keeping Alexander under 100 and out of the endzone.

I single this game out because we're talking about a new head coach who came in and cut no slack to anyone no matter who they were.One game or not and yes they did lose 9-6 but again we're talking about the Lions.

Simplex3
09-11-2006, 07:09 AM
From everything I read Camp Marinelli was like that this last year and the Lions came out yesterday and held the NFC Superbowl represenative to 9 points while also keeping Alexander under 100 and out of the endzone.

I single this game out because we're talking about a new head coach who came in and cut no slack to anyone no matter who they were.One game or not and yes they did lose 9-6 but again we're talking about the Lions.
Yeah, but their D wasn't an issue. That's a big time turn around there.

PS, thanks for getting us another never-was retread coach, Carl. It's worked out great every time you've done it.

FloridaMan88
09-11-2006, 09:43 AM
The Chiefs' offense, especially the passing game had slow starts under Vermeil as well.

Even during the 2003, 13-3 season, the Chiefs passing offense was ranked in the mid 20's until they exploded in the game versus Green Bay (which wasn't until mid-October if I remember correctly)