PDA

View Full Version : How different would it be if.....

Frankie
09-11-2006, 07:39 AM
... it was Prince Peyton and not Trent in that terrible scene?

I was watching ESPN untill midnight to get last minute stuff on Trent Green. I couldn't help feeling that they would have played the highlight of the hit every other minute and given us a hundred "breaking news" bulletins if it were Peyton. As it was I had to wait through repeated highlights of every game 3 or 4 times to finally get a few seconds of Trent Green coverage. Am I overreacting or am I right?

burt
09-11-2006, 07:42 AM
... it was Prince Peyton and not Trent in that terrible scene?

I was watching ESPN untill midnight to get last minute stuff on Trent Green. I couldn't help feeling that they would have played the highlight of the hit every other minute and given us a hundred "breaking news" bulletins if it were Peyton. As it was I had to wait through repeated highlights of every game 3 or 4 times to finally get a few seconds of Trent Green coverage. Am I overreacting or am I right?

If it were either of the Manning Bros., it woulda been flag city, breaking news...hell, they may have fined him before throwing him out of the game.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 07:43 AM
The earth would have paused in it's rotation.

NaptownChief
09-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Would have been a bigger outcry had it been Ron Mexico even over Peyton.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-11-2006, 08:28 AM
The NFL's credibility is vastly approaching nonexistent when it comes to the quality of their officiating. The fact of the matter is that the emergence of 24 hour sports coverage has created such a bombardment of media hype around some players, that they and their teams are treated as beyond reproach.

The shit that happened to the Steelers last year against the Colts, to the Seahawks against the Steelers, The Jags against the Cowboys this week, and the Giants against the Colts this week, and the Chiefs are no better than what would happen in a WWE ring.

There are several sets of rules in the NFL

#1) The team that is considered the bigger draw will almost (NE and Denver come to mind as a counter to this) always get the beneficial calls via the officials

#2) The Golden Boys are cloaked in a proverbial red jersey by the officials

#3) The rules for everyone else.

ChiefsfaninPA
09-11-2006, 08:32 AM
If it would've been the Manning Boys the NFL would've had their own network camped out at the hospital providing live reports every 30 minutes from the hospital. CNN, Fox New maybe even MSNBC would have sent staff there to report on it.

Frankie
09-11-2006, 08:37 AM
The fact of the matter is that the emergence of 24 hour sports coverage has created such a bombardment of media hype around some players, that they and their teams are treated as beyond reproach.
Totally true.

Chiefnj
09-11-2006, 08:38 AM
There was more Trent Green coverage on a local sports show that focuses on the Giants and Jets than there was on ESPN.

The local guy talked about it for about 45 seconds and acknowledged it was a questionable brutal hit. ESPN's coverage of the game was pretty much non-existant; which was a surprise to me because it featured Palmer's successful return.

It's pretty clear that the old favorites still get air timeno matter what - TO, Peyton, Favre, Vick, followed by Bush and then a quick note on Mario Williams because the Texans passed on Bush.

donkhater
09-11-2006, 08:45 AM
There was more Trent Green coverage on a local sports show that focuses on the Giants and Jets than there was on ESPN.

The local guy talked about it for about 45 seconds and acknowledged it was a questionable brutal hit. ESPN's coverage of the game was pretty much non-existant; which was a surprise to me because it featured Palmer's successful return.

It's pretty clear that the old favorites still get air timeno matter what - TO, Peyton, Favre, Vick, followed by Bush and then a quick note on Mario Williams because the Texans passed on Bush.
Speaking of Bush, is he not the most overhyped rookie of all-time? He looked good against Clevland, but not great. 142 all-purpose yards (rushing/receiving/returning)? Dante nearly gets that every week.

A blurb on the SI.com site said that Phil Sims mentioned that Casserly told him that many GM's had Maroney as the best RB in the draft last year and Banks thought he was high. Why? Everyone was shocked that the Colts took James over Ricky Williams. How did that turn out?

Wake me when Bush does something I have seen before. That is what Sayers/Sanders did nearly every week. Until then he's just an average rookie.

DMAC
09-11-2006, 08:57 AM
There is something that ESPN has against us. I have felt this for years.

Skimpy on the highlights, not much news about our stars.

Maybe if Herm has a couple of "intriguing" press conferences after our 4th and 5th loss in a row we will get some love.

As far as the officials go, I can see why there was no penalty...I guess. But I do agree that if it were Peyton, there would have been mass hysteria.

NaptownChief
09-11-2006, 09:04 AM
There is something that ESPN has against us. I have felt this for years.

Skimpy on the highlights, not much news about our stars.

What they have against us is a lack of national interest. When you haven't won a playoff game in 13 years nobody outside of the core diehard fans care about said team....and when that is the case a national news service isn't going to waste time on a low interest product. That is just reality.

TrickyNicky
09-11-2006, 09:25 AM
It wouldn't happen to Manning because he would have slid or ducked out of bounds way, way before then. That's the difference. Trent takes the shitty offensive play onto his own shoulders and tries to compensate by making the play, and he paid for it. Manning would have gone out of bounds and given his OC and Offensive unit that "Come on, guys. We're losing and it's your fault" look.