PDA

View Full Version : Herm vs. Vermeil

Chiefnj
09-11-2006, 10:08 AM
In two areas.

I remember Vermeil speaking in postgame interviews and accepting the blame if things didn't go right. I don't remember him hanging GROB out to dry or hanging AS out to dry even in his first year when things were pretty bad for the offense.

Instead of saying "there was miscommunication. I'm going to leave it at that" couldn't Herm of just covered it up and said he stands by the call, LJ is a great runner, etc. How did the whole issue become public?

Second, with the Trent Green hit. I can't imagine Vermeil would have been quiet after the hit and in the post game interview. Edwards did the old "we're told not to comment" Shouldn't Herm have stepped up for his fallen QB and defended his team leader? Shouldn't he have risked a fine to show some type of solidarity with the team?

I would have loved it if Herm stood up and said "It was bullshit. If that happened to Manning or Favre, Tagliabue would unretire and there would be an official change to the NFL rules by Tuesday morning."

DMAC
09-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Politics everywhere man.

Reerun_KC
09-11-2006, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=ChiefnjSecond, with the Trent Green hit. I can't imagine Vermeil would have been quiet after the hit and in the post game interview. Edwards did the old "we're told not to comment" Shouldn't Herm have stepped up for his fallen QB and defended his team leader? Shouldn't he have risked a fine to show some type of solidarity with the team?[QUOTE]

You have to be a leader to be able to do that. From what I have witnessed here in KC and at the Jets. He has never been a leader.

Herm You suck, Please leave!

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-11-2006, 11:11 AM
We will probably have to go 2-14 to get Herm and CP out of here this year. Be careful of what you wish for.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Yep, Vermeil accepted the blame year after year while he continued to start guys like Eric Hicks and Dexter McCleon and come up short.

shaneo69
09-11-2006, 11:38 AM
I remember Vermeil speaking in postgame interviews and accepting the blame if things didn't go right. I don't remember him hanging GROB out to dry or hanging AS out to dry even in his first year when things were pretty bad for the offense.

Instead of saying "there was miscommunication. I'm going to leave it at that" couldn't Herm of just covered it up and said he stands by the call, LJ is a great runner, etc. How did the whole issue become public?

Yeah, Herm seemed to be ripping Solari on purpose while making it sound like he wasn't blaming anyone. I guarantee that Vermiel would've called a timeout when he heard that play come through the headsets. I didn't like Herm's comments about Solari after the Rams' preseason game, and I didn't like Herm's comments about the supposed run-up-the-score playcalling in last year's Bengal game. It's obvious to me that Herm does not have the required mindset it takes to allow an offense to be championship caliber.

And his thought process in switching to the white unis was way off. You're basically telling your team that they can't win unless the other team becomes overheated and fatigued as a result. Either that, or the Chiefs will become overheated and fatigued if they wear their red uniforms because our training camp practices did not prepare us for hot days.

Chiefnj
09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Yep, Vermeil accepted the blame year after year while he continued to start guys like Eric Hicks and Dexter McCleon and come up short.

Yep. The nerve of him starting Hicks over Hali and McLeon over Law. It's obvious he didn't want to field a good defense.

Wichita Lineman
09-11-2006, 12:03 PM
What I want to know here is who believes that the outcome of this game or this season would have gone in this direction if Vermeil was given the same talent on defense the this idiot has. Dick and Al would have won this game hands down. How in the hell Edwards ever got on the field as a db we know is because the choices were few. How in the hell he ever got to be any kind of coach we all know is because he's a minority. And how he got to be any teams head coach is a complete mystery. How he got to be Kc's head coach we all know is because Carl Peterson is a dick head and had a hard on for Al Saunders. I'm sick of all of them.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Yep. The nerve of him starting Hicks over Hali and McLeon over Law. It's obvious he didn't want to field a good defense.Or starting Vonnie Holliday over Jared Allen. Maybe Kris Wilson can play CB.

Herm probably doesn't want to field a good team or call good plays either, eh?

My point is, while Vermeil would take the blame, there was little value in it. It reminded me of Carl Peterson taking "full resposibility" a few years back, all the while cozying into 17 years on the job and counting. God forbid Solari actually did f*ck up, and Edwards is making him accountable.

It's pretty clear that speaking isn't Edwards' strong point. The average fan can dissect and destroy comments from even the most media savvy guys. Edwards' doesn't stand a chance. You might as well prepare yourself for him to say stupid shit. But I can honestly say I never thought I'd hear the day when fans were complaining about not getting coachspeak.

The Dude Abides
09-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Vermeil would have won the game. Plain and simple

jspchief
09-11-2006, 12:18 PM
What I want to know here is who believes that the outcome of this game or this season would have gone in this direction if Vermeil was given the same talent on defense the this idiot has. Dick and Al would have won this game hands down. How in the hell Edwards ever got on the field as a db we know is because the choices were few. How in the hell he ever got to be any kind of coach we all know is because he's a minority. And how he got to be any teams head coach is a complete mystery. How he got to be Kc's head coach we all know is because Carl Peterson is a dick head and had a hard on for Al Saunders. I'm sick of all of them.Yea, because Vermeil never lost the first game of the year.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Is there some Tackle named Vermeil that I don't know about?

To sit here and say he would have won...
Vermeil was 3-2 on opening day, with one of those victories handed to us by Dwayne Rudd and his helmet.
He was 2-3 in home openers.

It's like when an artist dies and they suddenly become the best ever. You guys act like it's inconceivable that vermeil could have lost this game, ignoring that the biggest reason we lost two of our starting O-linemen retired this off-season.

Chiefnj
09-11-2006, 12:23 PM
My point is, while Vermeil would take the blame, there was little value in it. It reminded me of Carl Peterson taking "full resposibility" a few years back, all the while cozying into 17 years on the job and counting. God forbid Solari actually did f*ck up, and Edwards is making him accountable.

I disagree that there is little value in what happened.

I think it is important for coaches to keep certain things in house and in the locker room. I don't think it is a good thing for Solari to be called out in preseason and now with his alleged blunder in his first game. He's got enough things to worry about with the OL and Green being out.

I also think it was important for Herm to step up and question the officiating. But we all know what Herm is about - he feld NY when the going got tough and he saw some money, he certainly isn't going to risk a fine for someone like Trent Green.

Even something as stupid as the all white unis at home show that Herm is clueless.

Coogs
09-11-2006, 12:27 PM

All we have to do is look back to last years Philly, Buffalo, and Dallas games. DV may not have won this game either. Cincy is pretty good. But I do agree with NJ on the original point. DV would have stood up for Green, and he would not have thrown his assistants under the bus.

From his comments, I am not sure he wanted Solari as the OC. For that matter, I'm not sure about the DC either. Maybe CP made him stick with both of those guys. This is nothing new from me, but I really believe we should have cleaned house when DV went out the door.

Stinger
09-11-2006, 12:29 PM

Just curious you can prove this how???

B_Ambuehl
09-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Vermeil might well have won the game even while giving up the same 23 points because his offensive coaching staff wouldn't have been calling plays that put the weakness of his team under such pressure.

7 step drops with play action against an oncoming blitz killed this team in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Vermeil coached teams played a lot better offensively last year with worse offensive lines going up against much better defenses.

Last year they had to play several games with Black at LEFT TACKLE. Still looked like a pretty good offensive football team.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Last year they had to play several games with Black at LEFT TACKLE. Still looked like a pretty good offensive football team.Yea, like in Buffalo?

Vermeil was 3-3 with Roaf absent last year. To act like it's a foregone conclusion that he would have won this game is stretching it.

TEX
09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
What I want to know here is who believes that the outcome of this game or this season would have gone in this direction if Vermeil was given the same talent on defense the this idiot has. Dick and Al would have won this game hands down. How in the hell Edwards ever got on the field as a db we know is because the choices were few. How in the hell he ever got to be any kind of coach we all know is because he's a minority. And how he got to be any teams head coach is a complete mystery. How he got to be Kc's head coach we all know is because Carl Peterson is a dick head and had a hard on for Al Saunders. I'm sick of all of them.

You pretty much nailed the coaching part of your statement. Upon further review of Herm's coaching credentials it's very easy to ask how he ever was named HC in the NFL in the first place. If you look back to when he was an assistant coach of the Chiefs, he was basically fired by Marty, but "reassigned" to the scouting dept. by Peterson. :hmmm:

Frazod
09-11-2006, 01:16 PM
There were certainly some questionable calls made, but at the end of the day, it's not Herm's fault that Roaf bailed on us the day TC started. It's not Herm's fault that the core of our offense is too old to be competitive. He didn't miss any blocks or put the ball on the ground, either.

Herm inherited Dick's mess. Dick, who beat the crap out of the veterans, sucking away any extra time we MIGHT have gotten out of them. Dick, who squandered the best offense in the league and team history three years running, because he didn't recognize the needs of the defense and thought pieces of shit like McCleon and Bartee were useful.

This rebuilding phase is inevitable. Players age; they retire. That's life. What was NOT inevitable was the criminal waste of what we had. Vermeil had filet mignon and ground it into hamburger. Now everybody's pissed at Herm because he can't reconstitute the hamburger into filet mignon. I call bullshit on that one. He may suck in his own right, but responsibility for this friggin nightmare rests solely with his douchebag predecessor.

Wichita Lineman
09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Ok maybe I'm wrong about Dick winning this game,I don't think so but maybe. He still was more of a standup guy. The only guy Herm is going to stand up for is Herm. I know I'm not the only guy that thinks this guy stinks. You can blame it on players past and present all you want but It all starts at the top and except for the Hunt's the top sucks all the way down to the coaches.I think you could give this jerk the best offense and the best defense in the league and he'd still suck. And if I'm wrong that the season is a bust and it turns out not to be I'll be damned if the credit should go to Edwards.

HemiEd
09-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah, Herm seemed to be ripping Solari on purpose while making it sound like he wasn't blaming anyone. I guarantee that Vermiel would've called a timeout when he heard that play come through the headsets. I didn't like Herm's comments about Solari after the Rams' preseason game, and I didn't like Herm's comments about the supposed run-up-the-score playcalling in last year's Bengal game. It's obvious to me that Herm does not have the required mindset it takes to allow an offense to be championship caliber.

And his thought process in switching to the white unis was way off. You're basically telling your team that they can't win unless the other team becomes overheated and fatigued as a result. Either that, or the Chiefs will become overheated and fatigued if they wear their red uniforms because our training camp practices did not prepare us for hot days.

Looking over my shoulder for a bolt of lightning! I agree with this post Shane069! :D

Archie Bunker
09-11-2006, 02:29 PM
There were certainly some questionable calls made, but at the end of the day, it's not Herm's fault that Roaf bailed on us the day TC started. It's not Herm's fault that the core of our offense is too old to be competitive. He didn't miss any blocks or put the ball on the ground, either.

Herm inherited Dick's mess. Dick, who beat the crap out of the veterans, sucking away any extra time we MIGHT have gotten out of them. Dick, who squandered the best offense in the league and team history three years running, because he didn't recognize the needs of the defense and thought pieces of shit like McCleon and Bartee were useful.

This rebuilding phase is inevitable. Players age; they retire. That's life. What was NOT inevitable was the criminal waste of what we had. Vermeil had filet mignon and ground it into hamburger. Now everybody's pissed at Herm because he can't reconstitute the hamburger into filet mignon. I call bullshit on that one. He may suck in his own right, but responsibility for this friggin nightmare rests solely with his douchebag predecessor.

This might be the best post I have read in awhile. I had been trying to say the same thing but couldn't find the words.

Great post

brent102fire
09-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Luckily, Herm is such a bad coach that Probowlers and future hall of famers don't want to play for him... :hmmm: