PDA

View Full Version : Move Will Shields to Left Tackle?

Hoover
09-11-2006, 01:44 PM
I was very disturbed by our line play yesterday, I don’t care who the QB was, we gave up seven sacks. Ouch

I think we need to reshuffle the offensive line. What do you guys think of an offensive line that would look like this:

LT: Shields
LG: Brian Waters
C: Wiegmann
RG: Black
RT: Turley

Maybe I’m over reacting to one game, but we have to give the QB time, especially if we are playing a back up.

Mecca
09-11-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't think that would work.......we saw the decline in Will Shields last year he isn't the same player he once was.

ChiefsCountry
09-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Waters is the best lineman now.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2006, 01:47 PM
I think we'd be better off with Shields at RT.

Fish
09-11-2006, 01:49 PM
We've been practicing for months in the positions that we have now.... why in God's name would we want to shuffle the line around after 1 game?

Geez... give the guys a little time to play together before we throw a bomb in.....

Mecca
09-11-2006, 01:53 PM
We've been practicing for months in the positions that we have now.... why in God's name would we want to shuffle the line around after 1 game?

Geez... give the guys a little time to play together before we throw a bomb in.....

Yes lets give them time after they couldn't open holes for the RB and got the QB killed while doing it against a subpar defensive unit......I'm sure they'll be fine. :rolleyes:

JimNasium
09-11-2006, 01:54 PM

Reason #1 - Seven sacks in one game.
Reason #2 - I-65
Reason #3 - Kevin Sampson didn't exactly look stellar in the pre-season.

Is that enough or should I go on?

JimNasium
09-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh, and reason #4 - We're doomed!

Hammock Parties
09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Seriously...move Shields to tackle. What do we have to lose?

gblowfish
09-11-2006, 02:00 PM
I-65 has gotta go. Hopefully Sampson will be ready next week, or try Svitek there. Bober would even be better than I-65.

Black needs to be selling Lady Kenmores somewhere before he gets somebody (like, oh, say, Damon Huard) killed next week.

Bwana
09-11-2006, 02:00 PM
The problem is, even if you move people around, there is still going to be a weak link or two. The other teams watch film, they know what that is and will overload that area and go in for the kill. I don't know what the answer is, but if we use the same people what had yesterday, we are not only in for a very long season, but when Trent does get back, he is going to get killed again. We should have made a trade with someone the day after Willie retired. At this point we are likely boned.

Fish
09-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Yes lets give them time after they couldn't open holes for the RB and got the QB killed while doing it against a subpar defensive unit......I'm sure they'll be fine. :rolleyes:

And you expect all the lineman to play at a higher level after being moved from the left side to the right side or vice versa?

Do you have any idea how hard it can be on a lineman to switch sides? Let alone switch from G to T....

This would never happen.

Hoover
09-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah, Will Shields has never played LT and Turley has never played RT...

Skip Towne
09-11-2006, 02:13 PM
How about Jason Dunn at RT? I don't know what he weighs but he's a big sum bitch.

Hound333
09-11-2006, 02:21 PM
This is all my fault guys. I jinxed Trent. 2 min before the injury I turned to my dad and said he wouldn't have to worry about losing next game (my dad grew up in Denver) because at this rate Trent was going to die this game.

morphius
09-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah, Will Shields has never played LT and Turley has never played RT...
I think you may be wrong on both accounts.

Shields subbed at LT a couple years back, and straight from Turley's bio...

Versatile performer who owns starting experience at both right and left tackle … Is also rejoined in Kansas City with former New Orleans teammate T Willie Roaf … The duo formed a bookend on the Saints offensive line for four seasons and were the starting offensive tackles for the first playoff victory in franchise history in 2000

DMAC
09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
This is all my fault guys. I jinxed Trent. 2 min before the injury I turned to my dad and said he wouldn't have to worry about losing next game (my dad grew up in Denver) because at this rate Trent was going to die this game.No, it was CBS showing his St. Louis injury right before.

NY CHIEF
09-11-2006, 02:35 PM
I think if we get sampson back there should be a big improvment if not good luck !

TEX
09-11-2006, 02:43 PM
IMO, just having Sampson at RT will improve things especially on the running plays. However, the offense needs to adjust and throw out the plays that require long -developing pass patterns.

There's really not a good reason why the Chiefs are in this mess as they had more time that last year to do something about it. We saw a prelude to this last year when we were without Welbourn and Roaf went down as the offense, with DV/A.S. at the helm was very innefective. To expect Herm/Solari to have better outcome is unrealistic It all starts with accurate evaluation of talent, or lack there of, on their roster. Anyone that couldn't see this mess coming is either blind or stupid or both... :shake:

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 02:45 PM
If you don't think having Sampson back will help with the running game, check out this play:

We overloaded the left side of the formation, putting Black OUTSIDE Turley and lining Gonzo up next to Shields on the weak side.

We then ran a stretch play to the left, behind BOTH TACKLES. Black got ****ing blown up on the play and LJ was tackled for no gain.

brent102fire
09-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I think they would be better off to scrap the RT positon if Black has to play it.

LT-Turley
LG-Waters
C-Wiegman
RG-Shields
TE-Dunn
TE-Gonzalez

brent102fire
09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
If you don't think having Sampson back will help with the running game, check out this play:

We overloaded the left side of the formation, putting Black OUTSIDE Turley and lining Gonzo up next to Shields on the weak side.

We then ran a stretch play to the left, behind BOTH TACKLES. Black got ****ing blown up on the play and LJ was tackled for no gain.

Black gets F**KING blown up on every play... :cuss:

Skip Towne
09-11-2006, 02:57 PM
I think they would be better off to scrap the RT positon if Black has to play it.

LT-Turley
LG-Waters
C-Wiegman
RG-Shields
TE-Dunn
TE-Gonzalez
That's the way I had it figured.

Easy 6
09-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Any combination that does NOT include blechh..er , Black , would be adviseable.

ChiefFan31
09-11-2006, 03:16 PM
No, it was CBS showing his St. Louis injury right before.

No kidding, I was wondering why TF they even did that?? That was only Seven years ago...

Something tells me that I should be glad the sound from the TV ended up getting drowned out for the most part at the sports bar I watched the game at. Having to hear Randy Cross, while watching that game...

sedated
09-11-2006, 03:28 PM
don't need to scrap everyting just yet, we should at least see what happens with someone else at RT.

but one would think that a guy used to playing on the Right side of the line would be better at RT than LT, which also happens to be our weakness :shrug:

Hoover
09-11-2006, 03:32 PM
I think you may be wrong on both accounts.

Shields subbed at LT a couple years back, and straight from Turley's bio...

Its called sarcasm

morphius
09-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Its called sarcasm
I figured that after I typed it, but then I stopped caring and left it...

blueballs
09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
according to Petro Stivtek(sp?) was practicing at RT put was pulled because of getting a false start penalty. Herm won't tollerate penalties. Getting your QB killed seems to be okay though.

-athey practive with refs?

Chief Faithful
09-11-2006, 03:50 PM
I think we'd be better off with Shields at RT.

I say move Shields to RT and use Bober or Stallings at RG.

JBucc
09-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Is Shields fast enough? Waters is our best linemen, he's younger and quicker and could handle speed rushers better than Shields methinks. Try them both if we want to I don't care.

Pitt Gorilla
09-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Black is the worst tackle I've seen in a while. Anyone but him on the right sounds like a good idea.

Thig Lyfe
09-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Rich Scanlon.

brent102fire
09-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Black is the worst tackle I've seen in a while. Anyone but him on the right sounds like a good idea.

I would even go with McCleon or Burntee at RT...