PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs should have seen this collapse at OT coming a looong time ago

RealSNR
09-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm not playing voyager or anything, but take a look at our draft history in terms of drafted offensive linemen.

2000-
6th round- Darnell Alford OG

2001-
6th round- Alex Sulfsted OG

2002-
(none)

2003-
4th round- Brett Williams OT
5th round- Jordan Black OG

2004-
7th round- Kevin Sampson OT

2005-
6th round- Will Svitek OT
7th round- Jeremy Parquet OT

2006-
6th round- Tre' Stallings OG

In these 7 drafts, did we seriously think we could make our offensive line remain consistant just by drafting lower level guys? I know we traded for Willie Roaf, but keep in mind we still had Victor Reilly at that time, who was still fairly decent. The signing of Casey Weigman and trade for John Welbourne are the other two moves that have kept us fairly consistant with our play up until now. We got lucky on Brian Waters... plain and simple.

In 7 drafts no one bothered to draft a higher-round backup than the 4th round? Were we assuming that if we needed someone to come in in the case of injury that we'd send in a wishful prospect that we drafted in the lower rounds just to see what the hell happened? The case isn't out yet on Stallings, Svitek, or maybe even (hopefully) Sampson, but for the rest of them, NONE of these guys ended up making significant contributions to the team.

We've picked up some great players in the draft in the past couple years, especially in the early rounds. I do think that offensive line should have been one of the more pursued positions in at least one of these drafts.

morphius
09-11-2006, 03:14 PM
And how many early draft picks have worked out well as LT's? Teams spend years trying to find an LT, just look how many years Seattle tagged theirs, and how much money we were dumping on Roaf.

The problem is that we had many areas of need on the D side as well, people screaming for WR's, etc, etc.

FloridaMan88
09-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Yep as I said in another post, the Chiefs haven't drafted an offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds of the draft since drafting John Tait back in 1999.

Baby Lee
09-11-2006, 03:16 PM
And the Broncos haven't found a QB to replace Horseface yet either.
Every team has a position where they rely on HoFers to keep plodding along, until they don't.
We got lucky with Black, like the Pats got lucky with Brady, only they only needed a bit of luck at one position to become a dynasty.

KingPriest2
09-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm not playing voyager or anything, but take a look at our draft history in terms of drafted offensive linemen.

2000-
6th round- Darnell Alford OG

2001-
6th round- Alex Sulfsted OG

2002-
(none)

2003-
4th round- Brett Williams OT
5th round- Jordan Black OG

2004-
7th round- Kevin Sampson OT

2005-
6th round- Will Svitek OT
7th round- Jeremy Parquet OT

2006-
6th round- Tre' Stallings OG

In these 7 drafts, did we seriously think we could make our offensive line remain consistant just by drafting lower level guys? I know we traded for Willie Roaf, but keep in mind we still had Victor Reilly at that time, who was still fairly decent. The signing of Casey Weigman and trade for John Welbourne are the other two moves that have kept us fairly consistant with our play up until now. We got lucky on Brian Waters... plain and simple.

In 7 drafts no one bothered to draft a higher-round backup than the 4th round? Were we assuming that if we needed someone to come in in the case of injury that we'd send in a wishful prospect that we drafted in the lower rounds just to see what the hell happened? The case isn't out yet on Stallings, Svitek, or maybe even (hopefully) Sampson, but for the rest of them, NONE of these guys ended up making significant contributions to the team.

We've picked up some great players in the draft in the past couple years, especially in the early rounds. I do think that offensive line should have been one of the more pursued positions in at least one of these drafts.

Riley not Reily. But you also meant Tait. Riley was already signed by NO

RealSNR
09-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Riley not Reily. But you also meant Tait. Riley was already signed by NOI know Tait is collecting a huge fat contract from the Bears right now. But where's Riley? Get his fat ass back here in KC

blueballs
09-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Riley has to stay at home and watach the wife
Sly Morris is out of work