PDA

View Full Version : Dutton: Glass promises another increase in payroll

tk13
09-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Glass plans to increase team payroll
Owner expects to spend more than $50 million in salaries, which would set a franchise record.

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

CLEVELAND | Royals owner David Glass, saying he is optimistic and encouraged by the club’s play in recent weeks, is pledging a payroll increase into the low-$50 million range for 2007.

“I’m encouraged,” he said, “and I love the attitude. There is an air of optimism around here, throughout the whole organization, top to bottom, that we haven’t had. And I love that.”

The Royals are 38-43 since bottoming out at 16-47 on June 13 and are 15-9 since Aug. 2 against teams occupying either first or second place in a division race or the wild-card chase.

“My friends on other teams call me and complain about how tough we’re being on them,” Glass said. “They’re trying to win. It just tickles me to death.”

Glass said general manager Dayton Moore will have $50 million-$55 million to spend on next season’s big-league payroll. That would be a franchise record but only a modest increase over this year’s $47.3 million.

Just four other teams began this season with payrolls of less than $56 million.

“If we played really well and have the opportunity to significantly improve ourselves,” Glass said, “I’m always willing to do something more. But I’ve told Dayton $50-55 million. In that range.”

That figures to leave Moore and his staff with some hard decisions.

The Royals already have seven players under contract next season for $30.95 million, which leaves roughly $19 million-$24 million in spendable payroll for the 18 remaining roster positions.

The club also faces at least five and perhaps as many as seven arbitration cases, including outfielder Emil Brown, starting pitcher Runelvys Hernandez and reliever Jimmy Gobble.

“We’ll be able to do what we need to do that makes sense for us,” Moore predicted. “We’ve just got to continue to look for ways to improve our team.

“We’ve played a lot more consistent baseball in the second half of the season. Everybody recognizes that. Our players recognize that. I’m excited about the momentum we have.”

Glass admits that he’s closely “tracking” Class AA Wichita, where several of the organization’s top prospects are currently playing in the Texas League championship series.

“You’ve got about five guys over there who are going to be major-league players who will help us,” he said. “You put them alongside (David) DeJesus, (Mark) Teahen and Ryan Shealy, and you see reason for optimism.”

Even so, Moore dismisses any suggestion that casts next season as a transition year to a future built around such prospects as third baseman Alex Gordon, outfielder Billy Butler and pitchers Zack Greinke, Luke Hochevar and Tyler Lumsden. It appears Moore wants to do more than just browse through the free-agent market.

“We’re not conceding anything,” Moore said. “This isn’t something where next year we’re saying we’ll just play .500. We’re not going to do that.

“We’re going to put the best team we can on the field. I don’t want to go nuts and lose all of our draft picks (in free-agent compensation), but …”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Recent Royals payrolls

Year Payroll
1988 $11.6 million
1989 $15.4 million
1990 $23.9 million
1991 $28.7 million
1992 $33.6 million
1993 $40.1 million
1994 $40.5 million
1995 $27.6 million
1996 $18.5 million
1997 $31.2 million
1998 $32.9 million
1999 $16.5 million
2000 $23.1 million
2001 $35.4 million
2002 $47.3 million
2003 $40.5 million
2004 $47.6 million
2005 $36.9 million
2006 $47.3 million
2007 $50-55 million*

*projected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

2007 guaranteed salaries

($30.95 million for seven players)

•DH Mike Sweeney: $11 million
•OF Reggie Sanders: $5 million
•RHP Scott Elarton: $4 million
•2B Mark Grudzielanek: $4 million
•SS Angel Berroa: $3.25million
•OF David DeJesus: $2 million (if a super-two, otherwise $600,000)
•LHP Odalis Perez: $1.7 million (of $7.75 million base salary)

Arbitration- eligible players

•RHP Adam Bernero
•OF Emil Brown
•RHP Brandon Duckworth
•LHP Jimmy Gobble (possible super-two)
•RHP Runelvys Hernandez
•RHP Todd Wellemeyer
•RHP Mike Wood (possible super-two)

Archie Bunker
09-12-2006, 07:47 AM
That is great news and hopefully Moore will have more success than Baird in selling FA to come to KC. Moore has jump started the franshise.

Eleazar
09-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Except for maybe Wood, all those arbitration players could clean out their lockers and we wouldn't be any worse for the wear.

RP_McMurphy
09-12-2006, 08:56 AM
First thing he needs to do is dump Sweeney as quick as can be. The guy has not delivered on his contract and will not deliver. Open that extra 11 million or whatever you can go pro-rated and move away from his injury having butt.

Eleazar
09-12-2006, 09:13 AM
First thing he needs to do is dump Sweeney as quick as can be. The guy has not delivered on his contract and will not deliver. Open that extra 11 million or whatever you can go pro-rated and move away from his injury having butt.

You can't "open that extra 11 million". Money in baseball is guaranteed. We have to pay him unless we could trade him and get the other team to pay his salary, and the chances of that are less than zero.

Ebolapox
09-12-2006, 09:52 AM
what is a 'super two' player?? I haven't kept up with baseball 'financial' stuff in a long time...

RP_McMurphy
09-12-2006, 09:56 AM
If it's guranteed then still dump him immediately. At least that would open a roster spot for a player that might actually be able to play baseball instead of taking up residence in the training room.

Pitt Gorilla
09-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Except for maybe Wood, all those arbitration players could clean out their lockers and we wouldn't be any worse for the wear.You want to get rid of Hernandez, Wellemeyer, and Gobble? I guess with the glut of great pitching that the Royals have in reserve, such a move makes sense...

ChiTown
09-12-2006, 10:21 AM
If it's guranteed then still dump him immediately. At least that would open a roster spot for a player that might actually be able to play baseball instead of taking up residence in the training room.

Good to know that you are not my financial advisor............