PDA

View Full Version : Clayton says we might sign a tackle

the Talking Can
09-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Mike Pearson?

Was with the Jags and someone else the last couple of years...I'm assuming he's a RT but Clayton didn't say....just heard it on Mike & Mike this morning...

farmerchief
09-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Mike Pearson?

Was with the Jags and someone else the last couple of years...I'm assuming he's a RT but Clayton didn't say....just heard it on Mike & Mike this morning...

Kind of like shutting the barn door after the horses have gotten out! They knew we had OL problems weeks ago, so why wait until now to find someone?(unless it was a just recently released player?)

the Talking Can
09-12-2006, 06:52 AM
" At 297 pounds, Mike Pearson (left) lacks the size and strength to move the pile. He also missed 12 games last year after season-ending surgery on his left knee. His likely replacement, second-rounder Khalif Barnes, is 6-5, 308 pounds, and has great feet and power, but was inconsistent in college. Neither can be considered a reliable protector of Leftwich's blind side. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview05/news/story?id=2146090

from a 2005 preview of the Jags on ESPN...

greg63
09-12-2006, 06:54 AM
" At 297 pounds, Mike Pearson (left) lacks the size and strength to move the pile. He also missed 12 games last year after season-ending surgery on his left knee. His likely replacement, second-rounder Khalif Barnes, is 6-5, 308 pounds, and has great feet and power, but was inconsistent in college. Neither can be considered a reliable protector of Leftwich's blind side. "

Sounds like another Turley.

BigChiefFan
09-12-2006, 06:54 AM

He's got to do better than Jordan Black has. I think he may become our RT.

CupidStunt
09-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Even if he was any good, it'll take him some time. Season might be over by the time he's ready to go.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 07:14 AM
He can't be any worse than Black, might as well try.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Kind of like shutting the barn door after the horses have gotten out! They knew we had OL problems weeks ago, so why wait until now to find someone?(unless it was a just recently released player?)

Kevin Sampson wasn't injured "weeks ago".

This is another depth move.

This likely means Sampson is injured worse than anybody let on, and Jordan Black will be starting indefinitely.

NaptownChief
09-12-2006, 07:19 AM

There was a time when Sampson wasn't injured?

siberian khatru
09-12-2006, 07:22 AM
This likely means Sampson is injured worse than anybody let on, and Jordan Black will be starting indefinitely.

Shoot me now.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 07:38 AM
There was a time when Sampson wasn't injured?

He was supposedly healthy all through training camp. He started in the preseason...

greg63
09-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Shoot me now.

Sounds like a job for Jack Bauer. :D

Bwana
09-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Cool, another scrub. Hey Carl, get off your ass and "TRADE" for someone or enjoy the 6-10 or 7-9 record. If we have to give up a late round draft pick to do it, so be it. With Black in there, Green is going to be out again within two games of his return from getting beat like a circus monkey.

Archie Bunker
09-12-2006, 07:44 AM
If nothing else I like the fact that Herm and CP aren't sitting on their hands doing nothing. They are still trying to improve the roster and fill holes.

ChiefsCountry
09-12-2006, 07:52 AM
It would be a good pick up for this season and possibily down the road. He was pretty good in Jacksonville, knee injury slowed things down for him.

siberian khatru
09-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Sounds like a job for Jack Bauer. :D

I'd prefer he take out Jordan Black.

TEX
09-12-2006, 07:58 AM
If nothing else I like the fact that Herm and CP aren't sitting on their hands doing nothing. They are still trying to improve the roster and fill holes.

Sure, but look what it took for them to FINALLY address the situation! This should have been addressed before Roaf announced his retirement and certainly during preseason. :shake:

It so much reminds me of the time the Chiefs went out and signed Bam Morris once the season began when EVERYONE knew they couldn't run the ball during preseason.

The more things change, the more they remain the same because the same guy is running things.

FringeNC
09-12-2006, 08:00 AM
When is Welbourn eligible to return? At this point, it seems a almost a given that we will sign him.

Bwana
09-12-2006, 08:05 AM
When is Welbourn eligible to return? At this point, it seems a almost a given that we will sign him.

I think he is out 6 games. I hope he is staying in shape.

CupidStunt
09-12-2006, 08:18 AM
I wonder if Jason Dunn would REALLY stink as a right tackle.

You know, as opposed to the incumbent who really, really, REALLY stinks.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Sure, but look what it took for them to FINALLY address the situation! This should have been addressed before Roaf announced his retirement and certainly during preseason. :shake:

It so much reminds me of the time the Chiefs went out and signed Bam Morris once the season began when EVERYONE knew they couldn't run the ball during preseason.

The more things change, the more they remain the same because the same guy is running things.

They signed Kyle Turley BEFORE Roaf retired.

Try again.

runnercyclist
09-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Solari better be developing a lot of plays from the two tight end set.

TEX
09-12-2006, 08:37 AM

Try again.

True, but Welbourn had RETIRED as well and Black and Bober proved they $ucked at Tackle. Sampson was out most of last year and seems like a guy that can't stay healthy. They were counting on him last year and he couldn't go. That sends a message my way. Point is they got a bird's eye view of what things were like last year without Roaf and Welbourn and did very little to address it this off season - but you're right - they did sign a guy with a bad back who was out of football for 2 years who happens to be some 30 lbs lighter then his old playing weight.

This is exactly why Carl has to "try again" once the season is under way because he and Dumber didn't do enough this off season.

PastorMikH
09-12-2006, 08:38 AM

Why would we need to sign Welbourn when he is already locked into a contract with us?

jspchief
09-12-2006, 08:44 AM

Try again.You don't get it. The Chiefs are supposed to keep starter-quality offensive tackles on the bench as backups in case this happens. All it takes is about 5 million dollars and you can have one of the many pro bowl left tackles that were on the market wanting a job as a backup.

ct
09-12-2006, 08:46 AM
You don't get it. The Chiefs are supposed to keep starter-quality offensive tackles on the bench as backups in case this happens. All it takes is about 5 million dollars and you can have one of the many pro bowl left tackles that were on the market wanting a job as a backup.

How many Pro Bowl tackles looking for a backup job were on the market exactly?

Frankie
09-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Cool, another scrub. Hey Carl, get off your ass and "TRADE" for someone or enjoy the 6-10 or 7-9 record. If we have to give up a late round draft pick to do it, so be it. With Black in there, Green is going to be out again within two games of his return from getting beat like a circus monkey.
If Green does not return in time to save us, we might as well NOT trade a high draft pick for a OT. If the prospect is for him to return in a reasonable capacity then by all means protect him by trading for a solid (not a journeyman) OT. But then who would trade a "solid" OT off their own roster unless we grossly overpay?

jspchief
09-12-2006, 08:54 AM
How many Pro Bowl tackles looking for a backup job were on the market exactly?Dozens. If you don't know that, you're as stupid as Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards.

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 08:55 AM

They knew after the 2005 season!

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 08:58 AM
True, but Welbourn had RETIRED as well and Black and Bober proved they $ucked at Tackle. Sampson was out most of last year and seems like a guy that can't stay healthy. They were counting on him last year and he couldn't go. That sends a message my way. Point is they got a bird's eye view of what things were like last year without Roaf and Welbourn and did very little to address it this off season - but you're right - they did sign a guy with a bad back who was out of football for 2 years who happens to be some 30 lbs lighter then his old playing weight.

This is exactly why Carl has to "try again" once the season is under way because he and Dumber didn't do enough this off season.

Sampson was healthy all offseason. Try again.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 08:59 AM
How many Pro Bowl tackles looking for a backup job were on the market exactly?

Kyle Turley was a former Pro-Bowler that was on the market.

Dammit Carl!

Chiefnj
09-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Anyone have a list of who was available in May and who is available now at tackle?

jspchief
09-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Anyone have a list of who was available in May and who is available now at tackle?I've looked, but haven't had much success. There doesn't seem to be a comprehensive list of FAs and cuts anywhere, and tackles aren't newsworthy enough to get their own story.

Eleazar
09-12-2006, 09:07 AM
I know that they have brought in at least one tackle for a look in the past week; he's someone who was cut by another team at the end of camp. Not a name that I think anyone would know, but it seems to indicate that they are at least looking at tackles.

(Don't ask me how I know this, it's insider info and will cost you $89.95.)

Archie Bunker
09-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Anyone have a list of who was available in May and who is available now at tackle?

This is the best I could do.
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=9&c=12&yr=2006&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pid=3

Pos Pos
Rank Rating Name Type Yr Ht/Wt College 2005 Team Signed Team
OT 1 Jon Runyan UFA 10 6-7/330 Michigan Philadelphia Philadelphia
OT 2 Jeff Backus Fran. 5 6-5/308 Michigan Detroit Detroit
OT 4 Jason Fabini UFA 8 6-7/304 Cincinnati NY Jets Dallas
OT 5 Kevin Shaffer UFA 4 6-5/290 Tulsa Atlanta Cleveland
OT 6 Kenyatta Walker UFA 5 6-5/302 Florida Tampa Bay Tampa Bay
OT 7 L.J. Shelton UFA 7 6-6/341 Eastern Michigan Cleveland Miami
OT 8 Tom Ashworth UFA 4 6-6/305 Colorado New England Seattle
OT 9 Jordan Black RFA 3 6-6/314 Notre Dame Kansas City Kansas City
OT 10 Tony Pashos RFA 3 6-6/337 Illinois Baltimore Baltimore
OT 11 Kevin Barry UFA 4 6-4.5/332 Arizona Green Bay Green Bay
OT 12 Orlando Brown UFA 10 6-7/360 South Carolina State Baltimore
OT 13 Victor Riley UFA 8 6-5/340 Auburn Houston
OT 14 Anthony Clement UFA 6 6-8/337 Louisiana-Lafayette San Francisco NY Jets
OT 15 Stockar McDougle UFA 6 6-6/348 Oklahoma Miami Jacksonville
OT 16 Damion McIntosh UFA 6 6-4/327 Kansas State Miami Miami
OT 17 Adam Haayer UFA 5 6-6/308 Minnesota Arizona
OT 18 Barrett Brooks UFA 10 6-5/320 Kansas State Pittsburgh Pittsburgh
OT 19 Rex Tucker UFA 7 6-5/315 Texas A&M St. Louis Detroit
OT 20 Kurt Vollers UFA 4 6-7/315 Notre Dame Indianapolis
OT NR Ephraim Salaam UFA 8 6-7/295 San Diego State Jacksonville Houston
OT NR Marcus Price UFA 10 6-4/310 LSU Dallas
OT NR Chad Slaughter UFA 5 6-8/340 Alcorn State Oakland Oakland
OT NR Courtney Van Buren RFA 3 6-6/365 Arkansas-Pine Bluff San Diego Detroit
OT NR Bob Whitfield UFA 14 6-5/310 Stanford NY Giants NY Giants
OT NR Ethan Brooks UFA 8 6-6/330 Williams College Dallas
OT NR Todd Fordham UFA 9 6-5/315 Florida State Carolina Carolina
OT NR Makoa Freitas RFA 3 6-4/307 Arizona Indianapolis Indianapolis
OT NR Scott Gragg UFA 11 6-8/315 Montana NY Jets
OT NR Wayne Hunter RFA 3 6-6/303 Hawaii Seattle Seattle
OT NR Mike Pearson UFA 4 6-7/303 Florida Jacksonville Miami
OT NR Victor Rogers RFA 4 6-6/331 Colorado Detroit Detroit
OT NR Todd Steussie UFA 12 6-6/320 California Tampa Bay St. Louis
OT NR Barry Stokes UFA 8 6-4/310 Eastern Michigan Atlanta Detroit
OT NR Jacob Rogers UFA 2 6-6/306 USC Dallas
OT NR Torrin Tucker RFA 3 6-6/329 Southern Miss Dallas Tampa Bay
OT NR Seth Wand RFA 3 6-7/327 Northwest Missouri State Houston Houston
OT NR Joaquin Gonzalez UFA 4 6-5/302 Miami (Fl) Indianapolis
OT NR Matt Hill UFA 4 6-6/304 Boise State Carolina
OT NR Matt Morgan UFA 2 6-6.5/304 Pittsburgh St. Louis Buffalo

Sure-Oz
09-12-2006, 09:20 AM
We really need to try what we can and not stand pat. Its worth a shot.

FloridaMan88
09-12-2006, 09:38 AM

Perhaps if the Chiefs would have been more active in free agency during the offseason they wouldn't have to "panic shop" for players like they are now.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Perhaps if the Chiefs would have been more active in free agency during the offseason they wouldn't have to "panic shop" for players like they are now.So which OTs would you have signed that were available in May?

Chiefnj
09-12-2006, 09:48 AM
I just wonder when the Chiefs knew about Welbourn. IIRC it takes a while for a suspension to be handed down for drug violations.

Ebolapox
09-12-2006, 09:48 AM
jeff backus, jon runyan... either would've rocked

Eleazar
09-12-2006, 09:51 AM
So which OTs would you have signed that were available in May?

this is the point where he says "we should have traded for someone", without regard for who might have been available or what we might have had to give up for them, or if we even knew Roaf wouldn't be back in May. It's just like madden d00d, you just offer them Priest Holmes and Dee Brown and they take it.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 09:52 AM
I just wonder when the Chiefs knew about Welbourn. IIRC it takes a while for a suspension to be handed down for drug violations.I'm thinking his "retirement" coincided with him getting busted, considering the way it came out of left field.

Even so I think the team believed they might get by with Sampson. He did play OK for us at the start of last year. And maybe we still will be alright with him, we just need to get him on the field.

If the team believed that Sampson was the heir to the RT position, and thought they had at least another year of Roaf where they could develop Svitek, it makes it a little more understandable that they weren't out buying up starting O-linemen.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Perhaps if the Chiefs would have been more active in free agency during the offseason they wouldn't have to "panic shop" for players like they are now.

Yeah, if only we would have signed an OT in the offseason, like say, Kyle Turley...

Inspector
09-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah, if only we would have signed an OT in the offseason, like say, Kyle Turley...

You know....I really think that might of helped.

If only...............

FloridaMan88
09-12-2006, 09:58 AM
So which OTs would you have signed that were available in May?

How about one of these offensive tackles that was a free agent this offseason. Or how about drafting an offensive tackle in the first 3 rounds of the draft. There are several veteran offensive tackles on this list I'd take over what the Chiefs currently have now.

Adam Haayer UFA Cardinals
Anthony Clement UFA 49ers
Barrett Brooks UFA Steelers
Barry Stokes UFA Falcons
Bob Whitfield UFA Giants
Chad Slaughter UFA Raiders
Courtney Van Buren RFA Chargers
Ephraim Salaam UFA Jaguars
Ethan Brooks UFA Cowboys
Jeff Backus UFA Lions
John St. Clair UFA Bears
Jon Runyan UFA Eagles
Kevin Barry UFA Packers
Kevin Shaffer UFA Falcons
L.J. Shelton UFA Browns
Makoa Freitas RFA Colts
Matt Hill UFA Panthers
Mike Pearson UFA Jaguars
Rex Tucker UFA Rams
Scott Gragg UFA Jets
Seth Wand RFA Texans
Stocker McDougle UFA Dolphins
Todd Fordham UFA Panthers
Todd Steussie UFA Buccaneers
Tom Ashworth UFA Patriots
Tony Pashos RFA Ravens
Torrin Tucker RFA Cowboys
Victor Riley UFA Texans
Wayne Hunter

Pitt Gorilla
09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Cool, another scrub. Hey Carl, get off your ass and "TRADE" for someone or enjoy the 6-10 or 7-9 record. If we have to give up a late round draft pick to do it, so be it. With Black in there, Green is going to be out again within two games of his return from getting beat like a circus monkey.Great idea!!! We only have to give up a late round pick and we get a starting-quality tackle! I'm guessing that teams are lining up for that deal.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 10:04 AM
So you wanted us to go out and get a starting tackle, when Roaf and Welbourn were still playing for us?

A team that has glaring needs for starters on defense was supposed to go out and spend big money on depth at OT?

Chiefnj
09-12-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm thinking his "retirement" coincided with him getting busted, considering the way it came out of left field.

I'm not that familiar with the procedure, but I thought players get a 2nd test and an appeal if the first test comes up positive. It's usually kept quiet becaus it's technically a medical issue.

IIRC, when he was suspended the first time for the first 4 games of the season it was from a test that was positive much earlier.

TEX
09-12-2006, 10:11 AM

Yeah, if only we could sign one that new he was a Tackle INSTEAD of a TE...

Archie Bunker
09-12-2006, 10:11 AM
How about one of these offensive tackles that was a free agent this offseason. Or how about drafting an offensive tackle in the first 3 rounds of the draft. There are several veteran offensive tackles on this list I'd take over what the Chiefs currently have now.

Most of the FA on that list were signed before Roaf and Welbourn retired and Sampson glass vagina acted up. When Welbourn retired the Chiefs acted quickly and got the best tackle available in Turley and are currently looking at one of the tackles you listed.

Since a time machine wasnt invented yet and Miss Cleo was busy the Chiefs still considered the OL a strength during FA and the draft. The #1 priority in the offseason was D and the Chiefs did a great job filling those needs. 3 new starters on the DL, Ty Law, and 2 promising safeties.

I guess I am just a blind homer but I really can't fault the Chiefs on this.

FloridaMan88
09-12-2006, 10:13 AM
So you wanted us to go out and get a starting tackle, when Roaf and Welbourn were still playing for us?

A team that has glaring needs for starters on defense was supposed to go out and spend big money on depth at OT?

Damn straight they should have. Even if the Chiefs went with the assumption that Roaf was coming back, you are looking at a 36 year old left tackle coming off a re-occurring hamstring injury from last season who wasn't even practicing during the spring minicamps. After watching what happened to the offensive line and the offense as a whole when Roaf went down last season... why SHOULDN'T the Chiefs have been more aggressive in trying to upgrade the depth along the offensive line?

jspchief
09-12-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm not that familiar with the procedure, but I thought players get a 2nd test and an appeal if the first test comes up positive. It's usually kept quiet becaus it's technically a medical issue.

IIRC, when he was suspended the first time for the first 4 games of the season it was from a test that was positive much earlier.Yea, he tests positive and knows he's guilty so "retires" in May. Then the appeal process takes all summer, and week or so ago it finally breaks that he tested positive.

He never actually filed retirement papers (at least he hadn't last I heard).

TEX
09-12-2006, 10:16 AM

No, I wanted quality depth to prevent what happened last season. We proved the depth we had was not quality last year.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Damn straight they should have. Even if the Chiefs went with the assumption that Roaf was coming back, you are looking at a 36 year old left tackle coming off a re-occurring hamstring injury from last season who wasn't even practicing during the spring minicamps. After watching what happened to the offensive line and the offense as a whole when Roaf went down last season... why SHOULDN'T the Chiefs have been more aggressive in trying to upgrade the depth along the offensive line?How many good tackles do think are in the NFL? Half the teams in the league don't have a good LT starting for them, yet you expect us to have some stud on the bench?

Maybe we should have brought in Peyton Manning to back up Green while we were at it.

You think there's a bunch of good O-linemen floating around that can't get a better job than backup?

MichaelH
09-12-2006, 10:20 AM

BINGO! We have a winner. :clap:

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Damn straight they should have. Even if the Chiefs went with the assumption that Roaf was coming back, you are looking at a 36 year old left tackle coming off a re-occurring hamstring injury from last season who wasn't even practicing during the spring minicamps. After watching what happened to the offensive line and the offense as a whole when Roaf went down last season... why SHOULDN'T the Chiefs have been more aggressive in trying to upgrade the depth along the offensive line?

I can see it now.

We drafted Eric Winston instead of Tamba Hali. And signed a free agent OT, instead of Ty Law.

You'd be here today bitching because Carl didn't do enough to fix the defense...

bringbackmarty
09-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I think the ol problems are fixable. It depends on how good Denver ends up being. and San Diego. I guess it's possible as long as we win half of our games going into pittsburg. Sign one FA tackle (preferable a guy who can blay both sides.) soon, put him in on the right, when welbourne comes back, I would start Welbourne or FA @ rt, if Turley works out @ LT. If Turley struggles and Welbourne regains his form, have the FA push Turley for his job. I'm not sure Turley @ 280 lbs is big enough to withstand a full season, trying to block Merriman, Pryce, and co. So whomever we sign needs to prepare to play both sides.

Spicy McHaggis
09-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I can see it now.

We drafted Eric Winston instead of Tamba Hali. And signed a free agent OT, instead of Ty Law.

You'd be here today bitching because Carl didn't do enough to fix the defense...

Exactly. People should be skeptical but at the same time they need to understand that this isn't Madden. You can't be loaded everywhere. You have to try to make shrewd signings, draft well, occassionally sign that big name guy and cross your fingers that unfortunate things don't happen (Roaf's retirement, Green's injury).;

I said it before and I'll say it again. Carl Peterson has done basically everything he can this year to give the Chiefs a chance at winning.

OmahaChief
09-12-2006, 10:49 AM
I can see it now.

For what it is worth Winston went early 3rd round. We could have had him with our second pick. I was pissed we did not draft him as it was a need spot for a young player. Now we are stuck with leftovers. Don't get me wrong Pollard will be a nice player but Tackle was huge priority and we failed to draft even one tackle. We drafted a G in Stallings that might project to a tackle. My concern is it appears that the Chiefs have banked a lot on Black, Samson and Svitek all guys that have looked like huge question marks for the good part of their young careers.

If we don't get some tackles in FA or the draft this year we will look like the Raiders Oline and that is a big ole mess.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 10:58 AM
For what it is worth Winston went early 3rd round. We could have had him with our second pick. I was pissed we did not draft him as it was a need spot for a young player. Now we are stuck with leftovers. Don't get me wrong Pollard will be a nice player but Tackle was huge priority and we failed to draft even one tackle. We drafted a G in Stallings that might project to a tackle. My concern is it appears that the Chiefs have banked a lot on Black, Samson and Svitek all guys that have looked like huge question marks for the good part of their young careers.

If we don't get some tackles in FA or the draft this year we will look like the Raiders Oline and that is a big ole mess.

Yeah, we could look like the Raiders O-line, where SECOND OVERALL PICK Robert Gallery is probably the worst of the bunch...

tk13
09-12-2006, 11:01 AM
We have actually tried to address the tackle position though. We draft linemen every year. We just haven't done as good of a job as usual. Svitek, Sampson, Brett Williams, Parquet, Black, etc... I don't believe we've totally avoided the situation.

Logical
09-12-2006, 11:08 AM

This is another depth move.

This likely means Sampson is injured worse than anybody let on, and Jordan Black will be starting indefinitely.:deevee::cuss:

Logical
09-12-2006, 11:16 AM
I can see it now.

No doubt there would have been bitching. However, there also would have been a lot of people not suprised, I recall people talking quite a bit a bout a first day OT pick as a possibility.

ct
09-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Dozens. If you don't know that, you're as stupid as Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards.

Seriously...

Pro Bowl tackles looking for backup jobs...dozens you say?

Wile_E_Coyote
09-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Peterson gambles & traded a third(?) on an injured Roaf. Chances of lightening striking twice, not good

jspchief
09-12-2006, 11:23 AM
No doubt there would have been bitching. However, there also would have been a lot of people not suprised, I recall people talking quite a bit a bout a first day OT pick as a possibility.I talked about taking a tackle as early as the first round, getting Marcus McNeil. And I got crucified for it. I also suggested several guards in the 2nd and got crucified for it.

I'm sure there would be more than one level headed person that realized the value in such a move, but there also would have been a riot for the casual fan that can't see football beyond the scope of fantasy football or Madden on their playstation.

As it stands I think the picks we used in the first two (and maybe 3) rounds will be players that we get a lot of mileage out of in the next 5 years. I can't use hindsight to go back and second guess what looks like one of the more successful off-seasons we've had in quite some time.

chiefqueen
09-12-2006, 11:23 AM

He is out 6 games AFTER he is signed. Also, bye weeks don't count against a suspension. So, if he was signed today the first game he could play would STL on 11/5.

Also, it was a steriods suspension so he can have NO contact with team personnel during this time (this includes players, and he could not buy ticket and sit in the stands during games). This is in contrast to Warfield's suspension (for DUI) where he could practice, attend meetings, and away games.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Seriously...

Pro Bowl tackles looking for backup jobs...dozens you say?Jeezuz. Calibrate your sarcasm meter.

It loses something when I have to spell it out on a chalkboard.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 11:26 AM
We have actually tried to address the tackle position though. We draft linemen every year. We just haven't done as good of a job as usual. Svitek, Sampson, Brett Williams, Parquet, Black, etc... I don't believe we've totally avoided the situation.Like I said earlier. It's not unreasonable that this team thought they had our future tackles in Svitek and Sampson. They just expected to have a little more time to prepare them.

ct
09-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Jeezuz. Calibrate your sarcasm meter.

It loses something when I have to spell it out on a chalkboard.

think I just need more sleep, that outa take care of it. thought it was you bitching that we didn't fix the whole world. my bad dude.

StcChief
So who/when for a 1-2 years?
Welbourne- 11/5. after suspension (hope he's staying in playing shape)

Another FA?
or a Trade?

Trial by fire with Svitek may/maynot work.

If this continues with Sampson, he is boarding on bust category.

ct
Has anyone signed Chris Liwienski, released by Minnesota?

EDIT

Chris Liwienski-T- Cardinals Sep. 9 - 8:13 am et

New Cardinal Chris Liwienski is now the team's starting right tackle.

Liwienski, who was cut by Minnesota last weekend, signed Tuesday. It's not a great sign, but for this week, the Cardinals should hold their own against what has been an anemic San Francisco pass rush.

JBucc
09-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Didn't we sign some Ian guy a few weeks back? What's up with him?

ct
09-12-2006, 11:32 AM

Another FA?
or a Trade?

If this continues with Sampson, he is boarding on bust category.

Sampson is a 7th rounder. The fact he's competed 2 years in a row for a starting position far exceeds any expectations I had personally.

Pitt Gorilla
09-12-2006, 11:40 AM

Another FA?
or a Trade?

If this continues with Sampson, he is boarding on bust category.I'd like to know how a 7th round pick can be considered a "bust."

Eleazar
09-12-2006, 11:44 AM
I'd like to know how a 7th round pick can be considered a "bust."

No kidding, sometimes they don't even make it through camp.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 11:45 AM
I'd like to know how a 7th round pick can be considered a "bust."It's basic Lexicon. You know better.

Spicy McHaggis
09-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I talked about taking a tackle as early as the first round, getting Marcus McNeil. And I got crucified for it.

That must make it hard to type.

FloridaMan88
09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
How many good tackles do think are in the NFL? Half the teams in the league don't have a good LT starting for them, yet you expect us to have some stud on the bench?

Maybe we should have brought in Peyton Manning to back up Green while we were at it.

You think there's a bunch of good O-linemen floating around that can't get a better job than backup?

I'm not suggesting the Chiefs should have or could have signed a Pro Bowl-caliber tackle in free agency or acquired one via the draft... but there is a middle ground between signing an expensive, Pro Bowl-caliber tackle as an insurance policy and having to rely on the likes of Jordan Black and Kyle Turley.

That middle ground is a veteran guy like LJ Shelton. While he is not a Pro Bowl-caliber player and certainly not in the same class as Roaf, he would be a much better option in replacing Roaf at LT than the likes of Kyle Turley. Shelton was also a moderately priced free agent (he ended up signing a 4 year-$15 million contract with the Dolphins) that would still allow enough cap room for signing players to upgrade the defense.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm not suggesting the Chiefs should have or could have signed a Pro Bowl-caliber tackle in free agency or acquired one via the draft... but there is a middle ground between signing an expensive, Pro Bowl-caliber tackle as an insurance policy and having to rely on the likes of Jordan Black and Kyle Turley.

That middle ground is a veteran guy like LJ Shelton. While he is not a Pro Bowl-caliber player and certainly not in the same class as Roaf, he would be a much better option in replacing Roaf at LT than the likes of Kyle Turley. Shelton was also a moderately priced free agent (he ended up signing a 4 year-$15 million contract with the Dolphins) that would still allow enough cap room for signing players to upgrade the defense.

Kyle Turley at 275 pounds is better than LJ Shelton.

Thig Lyfe
09-12-2006, 02:27 PM
http://www.abba-world.net/images/books/ABBAcover_small.jpg
Anything But Black Again

Chieftain58
09-12-2006, 02:37 PM
He doesn't impress me..

jspchief
09-12-2006, 03:00 PM

LJ Shelton was signed by the Dolphins in March. For us to have brought him in at that time, it would have been in a backup role.

So you think we should have spent $15 million over 4 years for a backup? LMAO

Besides, the guy has done nothing but underachieve his entire career. The Cardinals, who are notorious for a bad O-line cut him after they tried him at LT where he failed, then RT where he failed.

Spicy McHaggis
09-12-2006, 03:02 PM
The Cardinals, who are notorious for a bad O-line cut him after they tried him at LT where he failed, then RT where he failed.

Don't forget him failing in Cleveland!!

jspchief
09-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Don't forget him failing in Cleveland!!Technically he didn't fail in Cleveland. They signed him to a one year deal, then Miami outbid them the next year.

Even so, the notion that we should have dropped 15 million into what would have been a backup is completely ridiculous.

It's the typical Madden Xbox mentality. Some fans just don't understand that it doesn't work like that in the real life NFL.

runnercyclist
09-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Tackles, we don't need no stinking tackles.

Double tight, every play.