PDA

View Full Version : Would we would have been better off this season not improving our D ....

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
at all this offseason and doing all we could have to getting the best players for our OL? That includes not signing Law and instead signing another big time Roaf-like free agent. Not drafting Hali and instead drafting the best available OL player?

Splat420
09-12-2006, 11:03 AM
What would that help then we would score 40 and give up 41 dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

TrickyNicky
09-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Herm was brought in to fix the D. We didn't think the O would be this broken, this early. It was the right approach, but our father time caught up to Roaf, and Welbourne retired instead of eating the suspension.

King_Chief_Fan
09-12-2006, 11:06 AM
at all this offseason and doing all we could have to getting the best players for our OL? That includes not signing Law and instead signing another big time Roaf-like free agent. Not drafting Hali and instead drafting the best available OL player?
and why could'nt we have done both?..... I thought I heard we were 12 million under the cap.

Wile_E_Coyote
09-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Gonzo being the highest paid TE before season's end

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 11:11 AM
and why could'nt we have done both?..... I thought I heard we were 12 million under the cap.

Those cap numbers are almost always bogus.

That being said, cap space is almost never the #1 reason a guy isn't signed. Numbers can always be squeezed.

Chiefnj
09-12-2006, 11:15 AM
They should have focussed on special teams.

It was Dante's fumble that turned the game. They should have drafted kick returners with the first and 2nd round choices. :cuss: Carl.

TrickyNicky
09-12-2006, 11:18 AM
They should have focussed on special teams.

It was Dante's fumble that turned the game. They should have drafted kick returners with the first and 2nd round choices. :cuss: Carl.
ROFL

Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Herm was brought in to fix the D. We didn't think the O would be this broken, this early. It was the right approach, but our father time caught up to Roaf, and Welbourne retired instead of eating the suspension.

The key phrase is "we didn't think". In other words we closed our eyes to the possibilities. I thought MANAGEMENT's job is to always consider the "what if" questions and the probabilities of a players ability to play the next year?

keg in kc
09-12-2006, 01:51 PM
It wouldn't matter what we did in the end, you'd have had a problem with it.

Mecca
09-12-2006, 01:53 PM

Because this was the "down year" of free agent signing for the Chiefs.

Fish
09-12-2006, 01:57 PM

No shit.... when we had the best offense in the league and the worst defense in the league all you heard about was "why didn't we fix the defense... why didn't we sign CB X or LB Y? That would have gotten us to the playoffs....

If we had pro-bowlers at every position there would still be constant bitching about something....

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 01:59 PM

so you don't? you're quite happy with our OL going from one of the best to one of the worst in less than a year? that's the way it is, it is based on luck on what team get's a good OL?

StcChief
09-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Roaf was coming back, Welbourne should have learned the first time about 'roids.....

jiveturkey
09-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Can we please have an option that works like the "at work" option but is called "avoid retardedness"?

FloridaMan88
09-12-2006, 02:11 PM

We could have done both. The Chiefs are currently around $12 million under the cap and that is AFTER the Ty Law signing, signing all the rookies and trading for Micheal Bennett.

There was enough cap room to upgrade the D and sign a veteran offensive tackle (who wasn't out of the league last season) like an LJ Shelton and a veteran QB like Gus Ferrotte to serve as Trent's back-up. Also there was enough cap room to keep T-Rich.

Of course all of that would have interfered with Carl's precious vacation time

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 02:16 PM
We could have done both. The Chiefs are currently around $12 million under the cap and that is AFTER the Ty Law signing, signing all the rookies and trading for Micheal Bennett.

There was enough cap room to upgrade the D and sign a veteran offensive tackle (who wasn't out of the league last season) like an LJ Shelton and a veteran QB like Gus Ferrotte to serve as Trent's back-up. Also there was enough cap room to keep T-Rich.

ROFL

Fish
09-12-2006, 02:19 PM

And it's just that easy folks..... :rolleyes:

Inspector
09-12-2006, 02:23 PM
The key phrase is "we didn't think". In other words we closed our eyes to the possibilities. I thought MANAGEMENT's job is to always consider the "what if" questions and the probabilities of a players ability to play the next year?

I don't think anyone ever knows for sure what the future will bring. You just have to make the best decision you can with the information currently available.

At the time nobody, not even the experts here at Chiefsplanet, knew that our O was going to puke all over itself in the beginning of the season (if that is indeed what has happened). We (just about all of us) have been screaming for fixes on the D for a long, long time.

If someone does not have a well tuned crystal ball it may not actually be indicative of having their "eyes closed". At least I don't think so.

And of course I have to add, IMO for all of these comments.

mikey23545
09-12-2006, 02:24 PM

You know, you already look stupid enough advertising you're a Hurricane fan without your retarded posting added to the mix.

jlscorpio
09-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, as I was watching us force Indy NOT TO PUNT ALL ****ING GAME in Jan 04, all I could think about is...let's not improve the D, let's draft Roaf's back-up...

TrickyNicky
09-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah, as I was watching us force Indy NOT TO PUNT ALL ****ING GAME in Jan 04, all I could think about is...let's not improve the D, let's draft Roaf's back-up...
/thread.

FloridaMan88
09-12-2006, 03:11 PM
And it's just that easy folks..... :rolleyes:

Which part of that couldn't the Chiefs realistically do this past offseason?

Sign a moderately priced veteran offensive tackle like LJ Shelton? (he ended up signing for 4 years-$15 million with Miami)

Sign a veteran QB to serve as Trent's back-up (who has actually taken meaningful snaps the past 5 seasons) like a Gus Ferrotte or even Kerry Collins?

Re-sign T-Rich?

With the cap room the Chiefs had/have, which one of those couldn't the Chiefs do and still be able to upgrade the defense?

FloridaMan88
09-12-2006, 03:15 PM
You know, you already look stupid enough advertising you're a Hurricane fan without your retarded posting added to the mix.

Funny how you can't give one credible reason as to WHY the Chiefs could not have realistically done what I listed.

Based on the cap space the Chiefs had this offseason, why couldn't the Chiefs have made the moves I suggested while still being able to effectively upgrade the defense?

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Funny how you can't give one credible reason as to WHY the Chiefs could not have realistically done what I listed.

Based on the cap space the Chiefs had this offseason, why couldn't the Chiefs have made the moves I suggested while still being able to effectively upgrade the defense?

Let's start with:

That $12M cap number you keep using is 100% SPECULATION.

Beyond that, not much really needs to be said.

Fish
09-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Which part of that couldn't the Chiefs realistically do this past offseason?

You are totally missing the point. They did sign a moderately priced veteran OT. Just because it's not the tard that you had picked out, doesn't mean it's a bad signing. And they have a veteran QB, in addition to 2 young prospects. T-Rich wanted more playing time. The Chiefs couldn't give it to him. We replaced him with Cruz who has done everything they've asked him to do and he's done it well.

And just because you heard the Chiefs are $12M under the cap, that doesn't mean shit. NFL Salary caps are more complicated than we could possibly comprehend, and the info they release to the public is almost always incorrect/false/exaggerated. Nobody could have foreseen what happened. Your entire post is based on hindsight. It's stupid and pointless.

Archie Bunker
09-12-2006, 04:12 PM
I have seen a the best offense in the league combined with the worst defense in league get the Chiefs to playoffs 1 time in 5 yrs.

On the other hand I have seen a pretty good D combined with a mediocre offense get the Chiefs to the playoffs 7 times in 10 yrs.

Sure I would love to see the Chiefs be great on both sides of the ball and I am no way endorsing Martyball but I would rather win ugly and make the playoffs than look pretty and sit at home every year. It is the formula that gets most of the playoff teams in every year. Play good D and control the ball on offense (ex. Denver, Pitt, Chicago, Tampa, etc).

So to answer your question the Chiefs did the right thing IMO by focusing on the D.

ChiefsCountry
09-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Lets also see up until training camp started our OL looked solid for the season. Plus during the main free agent part we were set with Roaf and Welbourn.

OnTheWarpath15
09-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Lets also see up until training camp started our OL looked solid for the season. Plus during the main free agent part we were set with Roaf and Welbourn.

Exactly.

Turley was brought here to COMPETE for the RT position.

Then Roaf and Welbourne happen.....

This OL was set, for this year. Not much can be done now, IMO.

Next year is what concerns me.....

ChiefsCountry
09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Exactly.

Turley was brought here to COMPETE for the RT position.

Then Roaf and Welbourne happen.....

This OL was set, for this year. Not much can be done now, IMO.

Next year is what concerns me.....

Yep then in early June, Welbourn retired. That left Turley and Sampson to fight it out for RT with Roaf at LT with Sivtek learning behind him. Roaf retires right before training camp, Turley gets switched and then Sampson gets hurt.

Eleazar
09-12-2006, 04:42 PM
We're the only message board with our own capologist! hoooweee!!!

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm a fan and it is what it is. I'm bummed about the home loss, losing Trent, the decline of our OL, CP, AS not getting the HC job and losing him as our OC, DV leaving and finally retiring, not knowing if HERM is capable of handling the job and getting this team on track, knowing that Solari has a huge learning curve that may take a season or two to be effective, and not knowing that Gun is really the right fit as our DC.

But maybe we have a chance this season. 50% of the teams have losing records right now, and maybe my worries are unfounded and Herm will come through for us, and we will be fine. Just like everyone on this board I will be watching Sunday afternoon to see if we can beat Denver on the road. Even if we don't I will still have a glimmer of hope each and every week until we mathematically can not make the playoffs.

And even after that happens I will continue to have hope that next year will finally be our year, and despite my doubts and fears somehow will root for them each and every week year after year after year........

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm a fan and it is what it is. I'm bummed about the home loss, losing Trent, the decline of our OL, CP, AS not getting the HC job and losing him as our OC, DV leaving and finally retiring, not knowing if HERM is capable of handling the job and getting this team on track, knowing that Solari has a huge learning curve that may take a season or two to be effective, and not knowing that Gun is really the right fit as our DC.

But maybe we have a chance this season. 50% of the teams have losing records right now, and maybe my worries are unfounded and Herm will come through for us, and we will be fine. Just like everyone on this board I will be watching Sunday afternoon to see if we can beat Denver on the road. Even if we don't I will still have a glimmer of hope each and every week until we mathematically can not make the playoffs.

And even after that happens I will continue to have hope that next year will finally be our year, and despite my doubts and fears somehow will root for them each and every week year after year after year........

Start a thread about it and see what everybody else thinks...

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Start a thread about it and see what everybody else thinks...

okay I will.