PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwards Press Conference

dirk digler
09-12-2006, 03:22 PM
HERM EDWARDS PRESS CONFERENCE - 9/12
Sep 12, 2006, 3:23:24 PM

VIDEO: Herm Edwards - Real

HERM EDWARDS: “I apologize for being late but I was talking to Trent (Green). He’s getting ready to go home (from the hospital) which is good. Obviously, he’s out this week. We’ll move on and Damon (Huard) will play. We have to put a good plan in for him to let him be successful, especially going on the road against Denver.

“When you look at the Broncos last week the score doesn’t really dictate what happened to them. Offensively, they moved the ball very, very well. They ran the ball for 160 some yards on the Rams and really got down (near the goal line) but turned the ball over. You can’t turn the ball over five times, no team can. That’s what happened to them.

“They were very good on third down – 42% — and moved the ball up and down the field. They just turned it over too many times. I thought the Rams had a good plan of attack; they did some things to disturb the quarterback. But then Denver’s defense did a good job, I thought. They were put in some pretty bad positions on the field and held them to field goals.

“It’s a tough loss for them on the road, but they won’t play like that at home. That’s not a Mike Shanahan team. They’re not going to turn the ball over five times in a football game. They don’t do that two times in a row, so we can’t count on that. We’ve got to count on playing good football ourselves and really trying to control the ball offensively.

“We didn’t do a good enough job last week when you look at how we played. We had 10 second-and-10-or-more in the football game and that means you’re not doing well enough on first down. You do that all of a sudden third down becomes very, very tough.

“Field position got us last week, too, and we turned the ball over. When you go on the road you have to really guard against that, for if you don’t it becomes a passing game and, all of a sudden, the way people can blitz you now and can expose your tackles it’s going to be tough. They’re going to get to the quarterback, ala last night (Chargers vs. Raiders). That’s what happened. (Raiders) got behind and the way people can bring pressure can put the quarterback in harm’s way.

“You’ve got to stay out of the known passing downs and the way you do that is don’t be behind by two scores or more going into the fourth quarter.”

Q: Why are you bringing in Rod Gardner to play wide receiver?

EDWARDS: “First of all, we really haven’t signed anybody. He hasn’t been officially signed. But the thing I know about the player is he’s big, he’s a physical guy and has some talent. He was drafted in the first round, but for some reason he hasn’t really fit. I think he played OK in Washington for a while but then a new system came in. He’s a size, speed, physical guy. That’s what he brings.”

Q: Did you know that Willie Roaf was in town? Have you talked to him?

EDWARDS: “No, but I heard that he’s in town. He must be here for barbecue or something.”

Q: Doesn’t it surprise you that he’s here and is holding a press conference but hasn’t talked to you or Carl (Peterson) or his teammates?

EDWARDS: “I don’t know if he hasn’t talked to his teammates or Carl, but he hasn’t talked to me.”

Q: Doesn’t it surprise you?

EDWARDS: “Well, no. You say he’s going to hold a press conference? It’s not here is it?

Q: No.

EDWARDS: “It’s America and he can do what he wants. Obviously he feels he wants to talk to you folks and that’s his right. I don’t have any animosity towards Willie, I really don’t. I’m coaching the guys that are here; that’s what I have to do. Willie will speak to you folks this week. If Willie wants to come back and talk to me that’s fine; my door is always open. That’s fine.”

Q: How is Trent?

EDWARDS: “He’s feeling much better. He’s feeling a lot better and I think he’ll feel a lot better when he gets home this afternoon. We’ll see where he is from there. Obviously, he’s out this week and then we’ll see what happens after that.

“Players get hurt in this league and it’s important not to rush him back. Every organization understands that. We have to make sure Trent is OK, that’s the most important part.”

Q: Have they done all the neurological tests?

EDWARDS: “As far as I know and they’ll probably going to do some more. I’m not a doctor and they know best. I always say people should do their jobs and that’s their job and it’s their job to tell me and I’m ok. They’re sending him home and that’s a good sign ‘cause any time you send him home it’s going in the right direction.”

Q: Did he talk about when he might come back?

EDWARDS: “No, all he said was he felt sorry for me ‘cause he couldn’t finish the game for me. I told him not to worry about it. I feel sorry for you, I said, because every time I turn around something is wrong with the quarterback.

“But he’ll be fine. His spirit is good. That’s a good sign.”

Q: Did you sort of think about yourself, like, why me God?

EDWARDS: “No, but my wife said that it must have been before she married me; I must have done something bad to somebody.

“It’s just part of the game. Things happen. You can look at it any way you want. I just think it will bring us closer together as a football team. It has to. We’re going to have to play differently than we’d like to. People already assume I’ve changed this offense. I haven’t changed this offense too much at all. But if I have to that’s OK. We’ve got to do what we have to do to win games. That’s the most important thing.

“The second most important thing is to make sure Damon Huard is comfortable in what we’re asking him to do. That’s my thought right now.”

Q: Is Casey Printers going to be moved up from the practice squad?

EDWARDS: “We haven’t discussed that yet. We’ll decide as the week goes on.”

Q: What sort of things are you going to ask Damon to do?

EDWARDS: “We’ll find out Sunday. I don’t want to reveal that right now. I don’t think that’s fair to us. I don’t want to give Denver any more of an edge. They’ve already got one playing at home.”

Q: But Trent still wants to play football, right?

EDWARDS: “Oh yeah, yeah. If it was up to Trent, knowing the kind of guy he is, he’d show up tomorrow. He’d show tomorrow and go to meetings and be whispering in my ear, ‘hey, coach, I’m ready to go.’ That’s what he’d be telling me.”

Q: How do you properly defend the bootleg?

EDWARDS: “I knew that question was coming up. It looks to the spectator who views it like, why can’t they stop it. I’ll tell you why it’s so hard. A couple of things come to time.

“First of all, (Denver) runs the ball (what I) call stretch and zone. They take the runner and let’s say he starts out (points right) and the backside end has two responsibilities. He has to close the “c” gap and if he doesn’t, what they do is they cut (him) off on the backside. If he doesn’t close it and they cut the end there’s a hole between the “c” gap and guess who’s in the hole? Nobody, ‘cause your defense is flowing this way (points). So he has to make sure he closes that.

“But if he’s closing it and he’s inside he can’t see who the quarterback is giving the ball to, and if they run the boot then he has two responsibilities: he has that gap as the ball moves away and it’s a moving gap – it just doesn’t stay there. The gap actually moves. So he has to make sure that he stays outside. If he would stay outside and the offensive line goes this way (opposite) there will be a big hole there for the runner to run back and head for the goal post.

“He’s got to stop and contain. And with that being said there’s the tight end (to contend with) there and he slips, blocks down with a ‘3’ technique like it’s a run, and then he runs to the flat and there’s another guy running to the flat.

“So, it’s pretty hard to defend when you have a good running team. Denver runs the ball very, very well and what you have to do is get them out of rhythm and try to get them in downs where you can anticipate they have to throw. But they do a good job and run it on third down. They run the ball, and run the ball.

“You have to practice it and contain the quarterback and the way you contain the quarterback is don’t let him get outside of the perimeter.”

Q: What’s more important: an end with speed or an end with experience?

EDWARDS: “An end who can run because the problem you’ve got is a 4.7 (40-yards) quarterback running around the edge. If you’ve got a guy who can’t run, guess what? Who’s going to win that race? You’ve got to get a guy who can run. Tamba Hali can and Jared Allen can. We’ve got two of them. You’ve got to slow them down.”

Q: Did you figure out why the offensive line had so much trouble protecting the quarterback last week? You suffered seven quarterback sacks.

EDWARDS: “Don’t get down by two scores and at the end have to throw the ball every play. They can come get you. You’ve got to help some tackles out on the edge, too, and have a tight end stay in and shift. That’s hard to do when you’re down by two scores and you have to drop back and you just can’t just throw check-downs all day. You have to drop back and hold the ball – ala like the Raiders had to do last night – be back there seven steps, run deep patterns and get somebody open. He’s not going to hold up.

“So you don’t want to get into that game unless you’ve got great tackles, great pass blockers. You’ve got to manage the game a little better and not leave the tackles out on the edges so much. Eventually they’re going to get to the quarterback on a one-on-one match-up if you keep going like that. Then you’re in a shotgun at the end (of the game) and they just rush. You’re not going to run a draw with three minutes down by two scores left. You need big chunks and when you need big chunks you have to hold onto the ball.”

Q: Why was there miscommunication last game? Why did Mike Solari not know what down it was and where the ball was marked? Does that bother you?

EDWARDS: “No, it doesn’t bother me because a lot of things can happen in a football game. The one thing I do know is that it was the first quarter. You know what I think is crazy about this deal? Let’s say it was a pass and not a run and we didn’t make the first down. It’s not a guarantee that because of the play we ran, if it was a pass, we’d get a first down or score. People say that. You give me a play that I know that I can run right now and score a touchdown”

Q: Well, but you can try?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, but you can also try to run. You block it correctly and we might have scored a touchdown on that play. It’s no big deal.

“I’m an optimist when we play football, believe it or not. When we drove that ball down there (down to the goal line in the first quarter) I didn’t think this is the last time we were ever going to get down there. I don’t think like that. If I had thought that I would have gone for it on fourth down. I would have kept going for it if this is the last time I was going to get down there. It’s the first quarter. Are you kidding me?

Q: But it’s because you’re a conservative coach; that’s why you’re going to run the ball.

EDWARDS: “Conservative! I was conservative in this game? When people came to see the Kansas City Chiefs play (vs. Cincinnati) they saw the same offense they’ve watched for the last five years. Shifts, motions, we threw the ball more than we ran which I hate. Generally when you do that you’re going to lose the game.

“We get sacked seven times because we had to go back and throw. You know what? We did everything we did before.

“People think that I’m conservative. We ran a fake punt. That’s conservative? That’s perception, not reality. Go watch the game. People watch the game and the first play of the game was a reverse. That’s conservative. I didn’t give the ball to Larry Johnson on the first play. We ran a reverse on the first play. Are you kidding me? We were trying to score points. But we got into a game where we got behind, we turned the ball over, bad field position and when you do that against a good football team – and these guys are a good football team – they’re going to beat you. That’s what happened.

“But you’re right. I fell for the trap. I fell in love with this great offense. We scored 10 points. We scored 10 points at home! Maybe I should use three backs this week. You can take a lot of time off the clock so maybe I should do that this week.”

Q: But do you attribute the problem of running the ball to so many new faces on the offensive line?

EDWARDS: “Attribute the sacks or hurries?”

Q: Yeah.

EDWARDS: “When you’re not in rhythm and when you don’t make third downs. You get in third-and-long and second-and-longs and it’s predictable. You have to throw the ball to catch up. All those things are bad. It’s bad for any team. It’s too hard to survive and that’s what happened to us. We can’t get down like that.

“I keep going back to field position. Field position and turnovers kill you. We’ve all seen football: if your offense has the ball on the 50-yard line you only have to go 50 yards to score, on average, and the other team has to go 75-yards, so who do you think is going to win the game?

“The one that goes 50 (yards).

“You make two first downs and you’re in field goal range already. You have to go 20 yards and can kick field goals all day. If I have to go 75 yards the odds of that happening in the National Football League are very tough.

“(Cincinnati) had one long drive. They had one long drive on our defense. We had one long drive on their defense. Other than that the game was played on a short field by them and a long field by us. We turned the ball over – this great offense we’ve got.

“We scored 10 points. I’m going to say it again: we scored 10 points. So, people who say I’ve changed this offense…. I didn’t change this offense. We didn’t play well. We didn’t play good enough, OK. But I might change this offense because if we’re going to score 10 points and going to run out of quarterbacks by the end of the year I might have to change the offense. But at this point this offense has not been changed and for people who say that, well, they didn’t go to the game; they didn’t watch the game. This is the same offense. I didn’t call one play, not one play. So people who say I’m conservative that’s…

“I saw a guy last night (Marty Schottenheimer) who’s real conservative. He ran the ball 48 times and threw 11 passes and won 27 to nothing. He won the game. I coached with that guy. I know how to do that too.”

Q: What do you tell your team about playing on the road since I know you’ve been emphasizing that?

EDWARDS: “Obviously, you have to have a mindset. You can’t get behind, I know that. If you get behind you’re in trouble. You have to try and protect the ball and get the running game (going) and protect your quarterback. You have to have positive yards on first downs. We had 10 plays on first down with negative yards. That’s not good. We’ve got to make positive yards and defensively we have to stop the run. You want to go into the fourth quarter of the football game knowing you can still win the game. That’s got to be your mindset every week.”

FloridaMan88
09-12-2006, 03:27 PM

Q: But it’s because you’re a conservative coach; that’s why you’re going to run the ball.

EDWARDS: “Conservative! I was conservative in this game? When people came to see the Kansas City Chiefs play (vs. Cincinnati) they saw the same offense they’ve watched for the last five years. Shifts, motions, we threw the ball more than we ran which I hate. Generally when you do that you’re going to lose the game.

“We get sacked seven times because we had to go back and throw. You know what? We did everything we did before.

“People think that I’m conservative. We ran a fake punt. That’s conservative? That’s perception, not reality. Go watch the game. People watch the game and the first play of the game was a reverse. That’s conservative. I didn’t give the ball to Larry Johnson on the first play. We ran a reverse on the first play. Are you kidding me? We were trying to score points. But we got into a game where we got behind, we turned the ball over, bad field position and when you do that against a good football team – and these guys are a good football team – they’re going to beat you. That’s what happened.

ROFL ROFL

Reaper16
09-12-2006, 03:29 PM

EDWARDS: “No, but I heard that he’s in town. He must be here for barbecue or something.”

ROFL Awesome.

the Talking Can
09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
whoa

Reerun_KC
09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Cranky isnt he?

jiveturkey
09-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Will Black play if Sampson can't go?

Why in the hell didn't this get asked?

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 03:33 PM
ROFL ROFL

Glad you find that funny.

Herm and Solari did EXACTLY WHAT THE FANS WANTED. They didn't go into a conservative shell but rather kept the offense exactly like Saunders had it.

And we lost. I hope next time Herm ignores the fans.

the Talking Can
09-12-2006, 03:36 PM

Herm and Solari did EXACTLY WHAT THE FANS WANTED. They didn't go into a conservative shell but rather kept the offense exactly like Saunders had it.

yeah...it's the fans fault....

jspchief
09-12-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't know who was asking the questions, but those were the best questions at a Chiefs press conference that I've ever heard.

It's normally a bunch of stupid repetitive shit, but that hit on just about every subject that needed addressed.

Nice job.

Rain Man
09-12-2006, 03:38 PM
ROFL ROFL

I liked the part where he said, "Conservative? We threw the ball more than we ran it, which I hate." That was inspired.

the Talking Can
09-12-2006, 03:40 PM
his explanation of the bootleg is great....hopefully he'll explain it to gunther

Archie Bunker
I love it. Finally a good Q&A.

dirk digler
I don't know who was asking the questions, but those were the best questions at a Chiefs press conference that I've ever heard.

It's normally a bunch of stupid repetitive shit, but that hit on just about every subject that needed addressed.

Nice job.

I was listening and Rhonda Moss is the one that started the questioning about the bad play call by Solari and the conservative stuff was her questions as well.

JimNasium
09-12-2006, 03:41 PM
his explanation of the bootleg is great....hopefully he'll explain it to gunther
:)

jspchief
09-12-2006, 03:43 PM
I was listening and Rhonda Moss is the one that started the questioning about the bad play call by Solari and the conservative stuff was her questions as well.I know in the past she's been responsible for a lot of moronic questions, but I think she neiled it this time.

The boot, play-calling/solari, troubles running (which herm didn't answer)... Just a lot of questions that I think the informed fan would have asked.

Baby Lee
09-12-2006, 03:46 PM
I know in the past she's been responsible for a lot of moronic questions, but I think she neiled it this time.
Did she mumble and make up words?

dirk digler
09-12-2006, 03:47 PM
I know in the past she's been responsible for a lot of moronic questions, but I think she neiled it this time.

The boot, play-calling/solari, troubles running (which herm didn't answer)... Just a lot of questions that I think the informed fan would have asked.

We're all in trouble if she suddenly grows a brain. :)

Archie F. Swin
09-12-2006, 03:48 PM
I said "Amen" to nearly everything he said today...especially the "Conservative" comment.
Usually I dont like Herm getting all defensive and coming with packaged responses but to day I was like "Go 'head Herm"
I like the detailed explaination on the bootleg too.

Rain Man
09-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Did she mumble and make up words?

She asked how Herm intended to defecate the buttlick.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 03:51 PM
yeah...it's the fans fault....

The last sentence was sarcasm.

The rest of my post was 100% true.

Nothing more pathetic than listening to people meltdown for a month about Neo-Herm and his Conservative Movement, only to see the SAME PEOPLE meltdown on Monday morning because we didn't run the ball enough...

dirk digler
09-12-2006, 03:56 PM

Nothing more pathetic than listening to people meltdown for a month about Neo-Herm and his Conservative Movement, only to see the SAME PEOPLE meltdown on Monday morning because we didn't run the ball enough...

The only problem I had while we were still in the game is that I don't believe we were balanced enough. It seemed we went from running the ball 5 times in a row to throwing the ball 3-4 times in a row.

I will chalk it up to Solari being a rookie O-coordinator.

Baby Lee
09-12-2006, 04:00 PM

Nothing??
Jessica Simpson's fling with John Mayer is reportedly over despite People magazine's claim that they were "in love." A source from Mayer's camp told Us Weekly that the relationship "was a 2 her camp spun into an 11." Mayer has supposedly lost a lot of respect for his brief fling and "now he will stay away from her. He thinks it's desperate. An attempt for her to stay in the spotlight."

You can't get much lower than being dumped by the world's ugliest man because he thinks you're pathetic. That's like a dog about to hump your leg but deciding not to because he'd rather do it with the couch. And who'd blame him? That soft supple leather, those delicious curves. You'd be crazy not to pick a couch over Jessica Simpson.

the Talking Can
09-12-2006, 04:03 PM

mecca much?

we've always run it a lot...complaining about not running it makes perfect sense...under the old regime WE RAN PRIEST AND LJ INTO THE GROUND...

not running doesn't equal agressive...it equals stupid

besides, the problem was our OL...neither the fans nor your red herring are really the point...

ChiefsFan4Life
09-12-2006, 04:19 PM
That's weird. I just got done watching the PC and after it was over I felt like I just watched a PC from someone who had nothing to do with the team. He didn't act like a head coach.

Calcountry
09-12-2006, 04:25 PM

And we lost. I hope next time Herm ignores the fans.That part of the meeting got my eyebrows up. You would never have seen DV respond like that.

One thing I had to disagree with him on, "This is not the same offense".

That was NOT the same Oline out there.

ROYC75
09-12-2006, 05:11 PM
That part of the meeting got my eyebrows up. You would never have seen DV respond like that.

One thing I had to disagree with him on, "This is not the same offense".

That was NOT the same Oline out there.

Basically it was, we just couldn't block anybody and hang onto the ball.

donkhater
09-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Personally, I don't think Herm was conservative enough.

Any idiot posting on this board knows the two starting tackles for the Chiefs retired in the middle of summer basically handcuffing KC from a personnel point of view. The ones he got stuck with got our Pro-Bowl QB killed and people are b!tching that he was too conservative?

Larry Johnson is this team's best and most dynamic weapon. Most tackles in the NFL CAN run block and they'll pass block a heck of a lot better when the other team doesn't know they are going to pass.

LJ touched the ball at around the 11:30 mark in the second quarter and didn't touch it again the rest of the first half. Oh how I wish Herm was more conservative!! Putting the ball into the hands of a Jim Brown clone. The nerve.

If this team has any hope of staying in ball games, the offense needs to be unpredictable (moving pockets, TE screens perhaps?) with a HEAVY dose of LJ and Bennett. The defense has to get turnovers. Otherwise it'll be a long year.

Psyko Tek
09-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by dirk digler

He was in town to tell trent how sorry he was for hie impending demise

Raiderhater
09-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Q: Why was there miscommunication last game? Why did Mike Solari not know what down it was and where the ball was marked? Does that bother you?

EDWARDS: “No, it doesn’t bother me because a lot of things can happen in a football game. The one thing I do know is that it was the first quarter. You know what I think is crazy about this deal? Let’s say it was a pass and not a run and we didn’t make the first down. It’s not a guarantee that because of the play we ran, if it was a pass, we’d get a first down or score. People say that. You give me a play that I know that I can run right now and score a touchdown”

Well it sure as shit bothers the hell out of me. Even more bothersome is that Herm doesn't find it bothersome. Sure, a lot of things can happen during a game, but forgetting what f#cking down it is SHOULD NOT be one of them. Great googly moogly!

Other than that, a decent press conference.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
mecca much?

we've always run it a lot...complaining about not running it makes perfect sense...under the old regime WE RAN PRIEST AND LJ INTO THE GROUND...

not running doesn't equal agressive...it equals stupid

besides, the problem was our OL...neither the fans nor your red herring are really the point...

How is that anything like Mecca?

Of course, not running the ball is not smart. And of course, bitching about it makes perfect sense -- for those of us that weren't claiming Herm was going to run this team into the ground.

And yes, HERE on this board, that is the point. No sense in reading the constant stupidity if we can't call somebody on it once in a while...

OldTownChief
09-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Well it sure as shit bothers the hell out of me. Even more bothersome is that Herm doesn't find it bothersome. Sure, a lot of things can happen during a game, but forgetting what f#cking down it is SHOULD NOT be one of them. Great googly moogly!

Other than that, a decent press conference.

Yeah, after the game Herm chalked it up to miscommunication. 80'000 fans in the stadium knew what down it was an his OC didn't?

After knowing how bad our O line is he claims to have stayed with the same offence. That's stupid in itself.

OldTownChief
09-12-2006, 06:01 PM
We had to listen to Dick defend the D for years, now we we'll have Herm defemding the O line. LOL

runnercyclist
09-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Miss Communication

jspchief
09-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Yeah, after the game Herm chalked it up to miscommunication. 80'000 fans in the stadium knew what down it was an his OC didn't?

After knowing how bad our O line is he claims to have stayed with the same offence. That's stupid in itself.80,000 fans were watching the game. Solari was probably looking at play sheets.

I don't like making excuses for such a stupid mistake, but we have to remember that this is Solari's first time as a coordinator. Mistakes are going to happen. Let's just hold our breath that he's a quick learner.

OldTownChief
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
80,000 fans were watching the game. Solari was probably looking at play sheets.

I don't like making excuses for such a stupid mistake, but we have to remember that this is Solari's first time as a coordinator. Mistakes are going to happen. Let's just hold our breath that he's a quick learner.

I doubt he'll make that same mistake again.

Raiderhater
09-12-2006, 06:09 PM
80,000 fans were watching the game. Solari was probably looking at play sheets.

Bah. You need to know what down it is and where you are on the field to be able to pick the correct play from said sheets.

Some mistakes I understand, this one I don't.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Bah. You need to know what down it is and where you are on the field to be able to pick the correct play from said sheets.

I agree, But I also don't think it's inconceivable that the game got away from him in that regard. I imagine that job takes some pretty fast thinking.

I just hope we don't ever see it again.

shaneo69
09-12-2006, 06:51 PM

“I fell for the trap. I fell in love with this great offense. We scored 10 points. We scored 10 points at home! We turned the ball over – this great offense we’ve got.

You know, it's one thing to over-praise the defense to improve their confidence after five years of feeling like the red-headed step-child.

But it's just plain stupid IMO to constantly ridicule the offense that the previous regime built. I don't see any benefit to this.

Baby Lee
09-12-2006, 06:54 PM
You know, it's one thing to over-praise the defense to improve their confidence after five years of feeling like the red-headed step-child.

But it's just plain stupid IMO to constantly ridicule the offense that the previous regime built. I don't see any benefit to this.
Can you understand where he's coming from, though?
They tell you your the HC, the head man, the neck on the chopping block, the buck stops here.
But man, they got this O, you ain't gonna believe it. You never seen anything like it.
MoF, you probably shouldn't touch it, it's a Maserati, it's finely tuned and don't need your clunky hands effing with it. Just watch and enjoy.

Then watch what happened Sunday?

OldTownChief
09-12-2006, 07:05 PM
They tell you your the HC, the head man, the neck on the chopping block, the buck stops here.
But man, they got this O, you ain't gonna believe it. You never seen anything like it.
MoF, you probably shouldn't touch it, it's a Maserati, it's finely tuned and don't need your clunky hands effing with it. Just watch and enjoy.

Then he's proven he doesn't know the O and can't put together a game plan to utilize it. What next?

Baby Lee
09-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Then he's proven he doesn't know the O and can't put together a game plan to utilize it. What next?
No, he's been told to not mess with the O, and let those who've been doing for years put together the game plan.
What next? Oh I don't know, maybe he trusts his instincts and puts his hand in.

OldTownChief
09-12-2006, 07:14 PM
maybe he trusts his instincts and puts his hand in.

The Guy/s that built this O are gone along with the O line so I hope he can do just that. The O we know is no mo.

Chiefnj
09-12-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm a Herm basher and I thought it was an excellent interview. He didn't throw Solari under the bus. He reacted well to Moss' stupid question about him playing conservatively.

Halfcan
09-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Were doomed.

Rausch
09-12-2006, 07:49 PM

Sunday LJ and Dante both fumbled. That's two of our biggest playmakers. The two guys who aren't supposed to fumble.

Add to that really poor Tackle play and right there is your offensive performance.

It has nothing to do with the play calls and everything to do with a really $3itty day by the players on the field...

Gravedigger
09-12-2006, 08:12 PM
OK... I have confidence in Herm enough to realize that Larry Johnson wants the ball enough to give it to him more than 17 times in one game. Larry Johnson is young and a beast we stopped giving him the ball on a consistent basis even when Huard was in there. When it's raining outside odds are LJ can hold onto it better than our ailing QB or our wide recievers catching it out of midair. This is why Tony is my hero!

ceebz
09-12-2006, 08:42 PM
The Guy/s that built this O are gone along with the O line so I hope he can do just that. The O we know is no mo.

Agreed. What people don't want to realize is, this team's in transition. If both Page and Pollard pan out, this defense is a DT away from being, dominating.

On O, the Chiefs still have a strong interior and a horse of a RB. They should be playing martyball because the tackles can't pass protect for shit.

I still think the Chiefs will have a decent season; the defense is going to make huge strides this season and Herm and company will come to rely on them more which will help keep Trent alive.

petegz28
09-12-2006, 10:42 PM

I agree. I want Marty Ball 2.0

ChiefsLV
09-12-2006, 10:54 PM

It's not as simple as that. We can't run the offense the way Saunders had it without decent offensive tackles. That being said, I'm agreeing with you, need to go to a more conservative, play-action, short passing game if we have any hope this year.

RealSNR
09-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, this is one upside to having Herm as head coach. Entertaining press conferences

milkman
09-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Q: What’s more important: an end with speed or an end with experience?

This question was intended as a joke, right?

It made me laugh, cause the only experience Hicks has is being face down in the turf after he's bit the boot.

Hootie
09-12-2006, 11:29 PM
he's friggin' right about one thing...

Marty coached a brilliant game against the Raiders...

Herm needs to go BACK to Marty Ball, THIS WEEK, and until Trent Green gets back.

It's sad to say, but the only chance we have is our defense...and yes, I realize that's a very slim chance, but it's much better than trying to win with Huard throwing the ball more than 11 times.

Hootie
09-12-2006, 11:30 PM
The play that bothered me the most was the "draw fake pass" play they drew up. If they wouldn't have faked the draw, LJ had about 30 yards in front of him with no one there, instead Green got sacked.

Hootie
09-12-2006, 11:33 PM
and guys, when Green went down, what did we do?! Run the ball to LJ...and what happened? He was stuffed repeatedly because there were 14 guys in the box...

When we have a 3rd and 7 this week, I ANTICIPATE a draw to LJ...rather play the field position game than turn the ball over.

I'm talking 85% run this week, if we're going to win, it's got to be from our defense and Tynes.

Sure-Oz
09-12-2006, 11:34 PM
LJ should be the main focal point till green goes out. Only pass when we need to and just run the bejesus out of LJ and Bennett!

Hootie
09-12-2006, 11:37 PM
I'd like to see LJ have something like, 35 carries 110 yards, 6 receptions 60 yards...that might equate to a win, especially if Bennett gets 5-8 carries as well.

Huard would be nice going 11-17 125 yards 0 TD's 0 INT's...I'd love it.

Only way we win is something like 13-10. No way are we going to score more than 21 against Denver.

Calcountry
09-13-2006, 12:47 AM
and guys, when Green went down, what did we do?! Run the ball to LJ...and what happened? He was stuffed repeatedly because there were 14 guys in the box...

When we have a 3rd and 7 this week, I ANTICIPATE a draw to LJ...rather play the field position game than turn the ball over.

I'm talking 85% run this week, if we're going to win, it's got to be from our defense and Tynes.They need to look at San Diego's run offense. It seems to be pretty innovative with the run schemes.

ChiefFan31
09-13-2006, 04:46 AM
I just got done watching it and I loved it.

You betcha that was Rhonda Moss attacking during the PC. I never even seen or heard that mad cow speak until recently this offseason. All I knew was she was the one who "broke" the Ty Law signing last year.

Anyways, good stuff. I dont take any of it as Herm bashing the O. He was def feeling fiesty. I liked what I heard.

I hope this week he does what even Jets trolls have admitted, that he is a good motivator. Now is the time to earn your money Coach.

A good gameplan is obviously something we need to bring along with us to Denver, but I really want to see how he motivates this team. I wanna see them fired up after what happened on Sunday and what happened to Trent

rad
09-13-2006, 06:42 AM
Agreed. What people don't want to realize is, this team's in transition. If both Page and Pollard pan out, this defense is a DT away from being, dominating.

On O, the Chiefs still have a strong interior and a horse of a RB. They should be playing martyball because the tackles can't pass protect for shit.

I still think the Chiefs will have a decent season; the defense is going to make huge strides this season and Herm and company will come to rely on them more which will help keep Trent alive.

KC Chiefs 2006 mantra:

Hey, diddle diddle!
Run it up the middle!

Chiefs Pantalones
09-13-2006, 06:55 AM
lol, man I hate Herm...

isired
09-13-2006, 08:10 AM
there's some vintage herm in there. brings a tear to the eye... good stuff.

jspchief
09-13-2006, 08:14 AM
I wonder why they left out his comment about the Jets organization?

isired
09-13-2006, 08:40 AM
I wonder why they left out his comment about the Jets organization?
i don't think he recalls the jets organization - there wasn't much left - his last few weeks here, he threw everyone and everything under the bus... except, apparently, his training camp regimen and in-game manifesto. he'll remember us the next time we play. the bulb will come on sometime in the 3rd quarter.

i didn't come here to troll or flame, you guys have an active and interesting board here. i think my comments in other threads prove this. it's hard for me to help myself when i see stuff like this though, it's all too familiar.

jspchief
09-13-2006, 08:41 AM
i don't think he recalls the jets organization - there wasn't much left - his last few weeks here, he threw everyone and everything under the bus... except, apparently, his training camp regimen and in-game manifesto. he'll remember us the next time we play. the bulb will come on sometime in the 3rd quarter.
Yea, either that or because he's moved on. Unlike Jets fans.

Demonpenz
09-13-2006, 08:51 AM
we already have as many losses at home as we did all last year.

09-13-2006, 10:05 AM

dude..I watched the game..
it's not about being conservative on offense..it was being predictable..

the chiefs looked very predictable on offense after they took the lead..and Trent Green was put in obvious passing situations because of it..
it's the coaches job to try and improvise and limit his own teams weaknesses(O line) and take advantage of the opponents weakness..do you think herm did this???

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 10:07 AM
dude..I watched the game..
it's not about being conservative on offense..it was being predictable..

the chiefs looked very predictable on offense after they took the lead..and Trent Green was put in obvious passing situations because of it..
it's the coaches job to try and improvise and limit his own teams weaknesses(O line) and take advantage of the opponents weakness..do you think herm did this???

The offense on Sunday looked EXACTLY like Saunders'...

EXACTLY.

09-13-2006, 10:14 AM
The offense on Sunday looked EXACTLY like Saunders'...

EXACTLY.
I didnt ask you what it looked like..I said they made predictable play calls...with 8 men in the box they made no adjustments..just kept ramming LJ in there..that is what put trent green in obvious passing situations.

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I didnt ask you what it looked like..I said they made predictable play calls...with 8 men in the box they made no adjustments..just kept ramming LJ in there..that is what put trent green in obvious passing situations.

I'll say it again...

Nothing has changed.

milkman
09-13-2006, 10:24 AM

LJ only carried the ball 11(?) times in the first half.

That doesn't sound like they kept rammin LJ in there to me.

isired
09-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Yea, either that or because he's moved on. Unlike Jets fans.
IIRC, he mentioned the jets at several of his early pressers - bitter stuff. i don't know what he's got to be bitter about, he made out OK in the deal, huh?

i'm extremely happy with our new staff and the direction they're taking us. i'm just baffled that herm might be continuing (and being allowed to continue) the downward spiral that his 'system' seems to have become. and this is an excellent forum in which to discuss that.

i'd be lying if i said i didn't get a small boost out of seeing other good, knowledgeable football fans having to endure the lunacy of herm's ways. not that i'm taking solace in others' misery, more like it's one more step in exposing a fraud. misery doesn't love company, it loves critical mass. it's kind of like when you have a maddening client, and they take their business to a competitor - especially if they aggressively pursued the client. you want to call your buddy over there and say, "see? see?!?"

chiefsfan1963
09-13-2006, 10:26 AM
I'll say it again...

Nothing has changed.

message to htismaqe: AS is no longer our OC!

believe what you want to believe, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's the same. You have no way of knowing what AS would have done if he was still our OC, how he would have adjusted his game plan due to the declline of our OL.

DV and AS are history for the Chiefs. It's now Herm and Solari and they are not the same.

09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
LJ only carried the ball 11(?) times in the first half.

That doesn't sound like they kept rammin LJ in there to me.
it happened in the red zone..and thats where it counts!!!

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I'll say it again...

Nothing has changed.

The biggest difference besides personnel is AS. Watching him call the game for the Redskins they had a great mix of pass and run.

Solari was very scatterbrained in the first half but that was his first game as OC so I will cut him some slack.

milkman
09-13-2006, 10:33 AM

With only the one trip in the red zone, you don't have enough of a sample to make blanket observations.

Chiefnj
09-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Things have changed. No Roaf, no welbourn, no Richardson and now no Green. It was up to Solari to tweak the O in week 1 to compensate for the 3 of the 4. It doesn't look like he really did. It doesn't look like all that many adjustments were made to best help I65.

Also, although there were formation changes, etc., I believe AS did more shifting in attempting to create better mismatches.

09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
With only the one trip in the red zone, you don't have enough of a sample to make blanket observations.
ok..let me rephrase it..
the bengals were sending the house in blitz packages..
how many screen passes were called???screen passes slow down the pass rush..what I mean is there are ways to call a game to diminish the effects of the opponent..and I didn't see that happening..they kind of stuck with the game plan..which you can not do in that situations..you have to make adjustments..

milkman
09-13-2006, 10:46 AM
ok..let me rephrase it..
how many screen passes were called???screen passes slow down the pass rush..what I mean is there are ways to call a game to diminish the effects of the opponent..and I didn't see that happening..they kind of stuck with the game plan..which you can not do in that situations..you have to make adjustments..

Now that, I can agree with.

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Things have changed. No Roaf, no welbourn, no Richardson and now no Green. It was up to Solari to tweak the O in week 1 to compensate for the 3 of the 4. It doesn't look like he really did. It doesn't look like all that many adjustments were made to best help I65.

Also, although there were formation changes, etc., I believe AS did more shifting in attempting to create better mismatches.

AS did more shifting AT TIMES. At other times, he stubbornly stuck to what he wanted to do, regardless of whether it was working or not.

Jesus Saunders did the SAME THING last year that Solari did on Sunday - tried to maintain the game plan with Jordan Black on the field. It was a mistake when Al did it as much as it's a mistake now. But it took Jesus Saunders THREE GAMES to adjust. Will Solari get the same benefit of the doubt? I highly doubt it.

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 10:49 AM
ok..let me rephrase it..

I absolutely agree that you have to make adjustments. I'm not trying to defend what Solari did.

I'm just trying to say to all of these people whining that we should have kept Jesus Saunders that SAUNDERS USED TO DO THE SAME GODDAMN THING...

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 10:50 AM
The biggest difference besides personnel is AS. Watching him call the game for the Redskins they had a great mix of pass and run.

Solari was very scatterbrained in the first half but that was his first game as OC so I will cut him some slack.

Great mix of pass and run.

And 16 points against the vaunted Vikings defense.

Wow.

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 10:51 AM
message to htismaqe: AS is no longer our OC!

believe what you want to believe, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's the same. You have no way of knowing what AS would have done if he was still our OC, how he would have adjusted his game plan due to the declline of our OL.

DV and AS are history for the Chiefs. It's now Herm and Solari and they are not the same.

I don't know what AS would have done, but I know what he DID.

He spent 3 games NOT ADJUSTING after Willie Roaf went down before he finally abandoned his quest for stats and decided to win some ballgames.

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 10:57 AM

Wow.

Better than they did in the preseason :)

AS 1st season we averaged 20pts/ game

I hope we can at least match that because if we don't then the blame is on Solari and Herm because the Talent level on that 2001 team isn't to the level we have now.

keg in kc
09-13-2006, 10:57 AM

Wow.One TD and 3 field goals. Just over 100 yards rushing and around 160 yards passing. Only ran 53 offensive plays.

They were unstoppable.

The only real noticable difference was that they didn't give up 7 sacks. They have a better line. It could also be argued they have better overall offensive skill personnel, with Portis, Moss, Randle El, Thrash and Cooley. Yet they did next to nothing on offense. But Al Saunders is still Football Jesus.

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 11:02 AM
One TD and 3 field goals. Just over 100 yards rushing and around 160 yards passing. Only ran 53 offensive plays.

They were unstoppable.

The only real noticable difference was that they didn't give up 7 sacks. They have a better line. It could also be argued they have better overall offensive skill personnel, with Portis, Moss, Randle El, Thrash and Cooley. Yet they did next to nothing on offense. But Al Saunders is still Football Jesus.

Trent is perfect for our offense and Brunell is not even on Trent's level. Remember Trent worked with this offense in Washington under Norv for 2-3 years and then went to the Rams with DV and AS before he came here.

Huge difference IMO.

jiveturkey
09-13-2006, 11:03 AM

He spent 3 games NOT ADJUSTING after Willie Roaf went down before he finally abandoned his quest for stats and decided to win some ballgames.
I wouldn't want to be you in this thread.

Feel good knowing that a handful of reasonable people agree with you but we have no intentions of engaging the other side. :)

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Trent is perfect for our offense and Brunell is not even on Trent's level. Remember Trent worked with this offense in Washington under Norv for 2-3 years and then went to the Rams with DV and AS before he came here.

Huge difference IMO.

Are you suggesting Trent ran this offense with Norv Turner and Jesus Saunders wasn't even in the vicinity?

Blasphemy!!!

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Are you suggesting Trent ran this offense with Norv Turner and Jesus Saunders wasn't even in the vicinity?

Blasphemy!!!

My point was Trent has been in this same offense for most of his career while this is Brunell's 1st time.

Brunell IMVHO will never be as good as Trent and I think that he is the main problem of why the Redskins have struggled and will struggle on O.

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 11:23 AM
My point was Trent has been in this same offense for most of his career while this is Brunell's 1st time.

Brunell IMVHO will never be as good as Trent and I think that he is the main problem of why the Redskins have struggled and will struggle on O.

But that simply cannot be!?!?!

We were PROMISED that Jesus Saunders was the catalyst behind this offense. Now you're telling me that Jesus Saunders can't run this offense with Mark Brunnell - he can't run this offense without Trent or someone like him. And previously, it was said the Norv Turner ran this offense - how can that be? Did he learn it from Jesus Saunders?

I'm so confused. Could it maybe be that Jesus Saunders is NOT the Savior that we've all been told he was? :shrug:

keg in kc
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM
We'll see how they do with a healthy Portis.

Thing is, Saunders was the passing guru, Solari the running guru. The interesting thing this year is seeing how each does without the other.

Personally, and this won't be a popular statement I'm sure, I think coordinators are overrated, both when they succeed and when they fail. It's not about the plays being called, it's about how those plays are executed. That's why Saunders still being here would've made absolutely no difference Sunday, with the play of Black.

And hell, like Herm said, like I've said 3 or 4 times, I'm not sure what people were watching anyway. It sure looked like the same offense. They just couldn't execute the plays that were called.

And now it's Solari's job to adjust and figure out what they can do. Assuming some miracle solution doesn't appear at tackle.

chiefsfan1963
09-13-2006, 11:28 AM

You can be critical all you want regarding AS, but you can never take away the fact that he was solely responsible for Chiefs being the finest
offenses in the league the past 5 years.

To assume that AS could have done no better than Solari is pure speculation and very unfair assertion given AS track record.

DV is not Herm.
AS is not Solari.

Even if they tried to copy each other they couldn't do it.

For the next 3 years or so we have a new era, Herm and Solari are it.
I'm going to miss our exciting O the past 5 years, but perhaps Herm and Solari can make up for it by providing a much better D, more wins, more playoff appearances, and therefore a better chance to get to the SB and win. I expect we need to give this duo a year to get us to the playoffs, but it would be a bonus if they can do it this year.

What I see now, it looks like we'll have to wait until next year.
Oh well.

Chiefnj

Which 3 games did Saunders not adjust?

The first 3 games that Roaf missed were Oakland, Denver and Philly. At that time Priest was still playing and he and LJ were @ 60-40 on carries. In Oakland and Philly they had over 100 yards rushing. Against Denver they had 94 yards but the Chiefs were down 17-0 in the first quarter which explains why the run was abandoned.

In the other 3 games that Roaf missed LJ was the HB as Priest was hurt. In those games he had 107, 132 and 211 yards respectively.

Solari can't be and shouldn't be compared to Saunders at this point. Saunders is going to a team that is completely unfamiliar with his system of offense. Of course it is going to take time to adjust. Solari stayed in the system he is intimately familiar with. Solari has the benefit of knowing what Black can and can't do as a starter.

htismaqe

Thing is, Saunders was the passing guru, Solari the running guru. The interesting thing this year is seeing how each does without the other.

Personally, and this won't be a popular statement I'm sure, I think coordinators are overrated, both when they succeed and when they fail. It's not about the plays being called, it's about how those plays are executed. That's why Saunders still being here would've made absolutely no difference Sunday, with the play of Black.

And hell, like Herm said, like I've said 3 or 4 times, I'm not sure what people were watching anyway. It sure looked like the same offense. They just couldn't execute the plays that were called.

And now it's Solari's job to adjust and figure out what they can do. Assuming some miracle solution doesn't appear at tackle.

You're WAY too rational here, bud. This just isn't gonna cut it.

I just hope it doesn't take Solari as long as it's taken Saunders in the past to realize that the finesse game won't work...Saunders' precedent was 3 games...

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 11:29 AM
But that simply cannot be!?!?!

We were PROMISED that Jesus Saunders was the catalyst behind this offense. Now you're telling me that Jesus Saunders can't run this offense with Mark Brunnell - he can't run this offense without Trent or someone like him. And previously, it was said the Norv Turner ran this offense - how can that be? Did he learn it from Jesus Saunders?

I'm so confused. Could it maybe be that Jesus Saunders is NOT the Savior that we've all been told he was? :shrug:

Actually Don Coryell is Jesus.

Saunders is just a disciple.

keg in kc
09-13-2006, 11:30 AM
You can be critical all you want regarding AS, but you can never take away the fact that he was solely responsible for Chiefs being the finest offenses in the league the past 5 years.Solely responsible.

I didn't realize that Roaf, Waters, Wiegmann, Shields, Gonzalez, Dunn, Kennison, Holmes, Richardson, Green and LJ had nothing to do with that.

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 11:34 AM

I tend to agree with this except I just don't understand why Solari didn't learn from last year with Black. It is not like he didn't know shit he was his coach.

Just remember it if walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it ain't always a duck or you can't judge a book by its cover.

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Which 3 games did Saunders not adjust?

The first 3 games that Roaf missed were Oakland, Denver and Philly. At that time Priest was still playing and he and LJ were @ 60-40 on carries. In Oakland and Philly they had over 100 yards rushing. Against Denver they had 94 yards but the Chiefs were down 17-0 in the first quarter which explains why the run was abandoned.

In the other 3 games that Roaf missed LJ was the HB as Priest was hurt. In those games he had 107, 132 and 211 yards respectively.

Solari can't be and shouldn't be compared to Saunders at this point. Saunders is going to a team that is completely unfamiliar with his system of offense. Of course it is going to take time to adjust. Solari stayed in the system he is intimately familiar with. Solari has the benefit of knowing what Black can and can't do as a starter.

Oh, no you don't.

We're not talking about yards here, we're talking about situational playcalling and making adjustments.

With both the Denver and (especially) Philly, we committed costly turnovers at very critical times because Saunders' playcalling was the same old Saunders.

This is pure unadulterated bullshit. It's a double-standard and you know it.

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 11:36 AM
You can be critical all you want regarding AS, but you can never take away the fact that he was solely responsible for Chiefs being the finest
offenses in the league the past 5 years.

To assume that AS could have done no better than Solari is pure speculation and very unfair assertion given AS track record.

DV is not Herm.
AS is not Solari.

Even if they tried to copy each other they couldn't do it.

For the next 3 years or so we have a new era, Herm and Solari are it.
I'm going to miss our exciting O the past 5 years, but perhaps Herm and Solari can make up for it by providing a much better D, more wins, more playoff appearances, and therefore a better chance to get to the SB and win. I expect we need to give this duo a year to get us to the playoffs, but it would be a bonus if they can do it this year.

What I see now, it looks like we'll have to wait until next year.
Oh well.

Al Saunders is SOLELY responsible? ROFL

Keep toking that stuff, it must be good...

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 11:37 AM
By the way, everybody wants to limit the "3 games" comment to last season.

Take a look at the 1st 3 games of 2001...

chiefsfan1963
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Solely responsible.

I didn't realize that Roaf, Waters, Wiegmann, Shields, Gonzalez, Dunn, Kennison, Holmes, Richardson, Green and LJ had nothing to do with that.

You're right. An OC is purely unnecessary if you have the right players.
All he needs to do is pat his players on their backs and tell them to do their best and send them out on the field. Thanks for clarifying. :shake:

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 11:41 AM
You're right. An OC is purely unnecessary if you have the right players.
All he needs to do is pat his players on their backs and tell them to do their best and send them out on the field. Thanks for clarifying. :shake:

Where did ANYONE say that an offensive coordinator was "purely unnecessary"?

The only person here making such ABSOLUTE statements is you. You should talk to Mecca, he does that too...

Chiefnj
09-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh, no you don't.

We're not talking about yards here, we're talking about situational playcalling and making adjustments.

With both the Denver and (especially) Philly, we committed costly turnovers at very critical times because Saunders' playcalling was the same old Saunders.

This is pure unadulterated bullshit. It's a double-standard and you know it.

Fine, you want to talk about adjustements. When Roaf went down people were Saunders' jock about not using Tony G more in the passing game and how he was being misused on the line blocking all the time. Well, it ends up AS was right. Saunders knew Green was going to get killed so he kept TG in. Solari had the benefit of that knowledge and blew it.

I see you are also trying to use 2001 as an example. Sorry, but no-can-do. New system in a new organization is what AS is facing in DC, it's not what is happening in KC with Solari.

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 11:43 AM
By the way, everybody wants to limit the "3 games" comment to last season.

Take a look at the 1st 3 games of 2001...

I did but what is your point?

Oakland Raiders | L | 24-27 |
| 2 | New York Giants | L | 3-13 |
| 3 | at Washington Redskins | W | 45-13

I wouldn't count that 2nd game because that was after 9-11 and we were playing the Giants. To many factors there.

We lost the 4th game at Denver 20-6.

Like I said before we averaged 20pts/game during 2001 so we have to at least match that.

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Fine, you want to talk about adjustements. When Roaf went down people were Saunders' jock about not using Tony G more in the passing game and how he was being misused on the line blocking all the time. Well, it ends up AS was right. Saunders knew Green was going to get killed so he kept TG in. Solari had the benefit of that knowledge and blew it.

I see you are also trying to use 2001 as an example. Sorry, but no-can-do. New system in a new organization is what AS is facing in DC, it's not what is happening in KC with Solari.

Though I feel sorry for Chris Cooley because he is not even going to get close to his catches now that AS is the O-coordinator.

I agree with your last statement.

Frosty
09-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Sure, Black sucks and Turley was overwhelmed at times, but the interior didn't play very well, either. I wonder if any of that has to do with the fact that Solari isn't the line coach anymore?

Or was it just that the interior of the line was trying to compensate for the suckage at tackle?

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 12:02 PM

I guess I totally missed when SOLARI WAS AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR prior to this year...

Care to point that out?

On second thought, don't bother. Saunders is untouchable. Every excuse that could be thought of has been used.

**** him.

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 12:04 PM
I did but what is your point?

Oakland Raiders | L | 24-27 |
| 2 | New York Giants | L | 3-13 |
| 3 | at Washington Redskins | W | 45-13

I wouldn't count that 2nd game because that was after 9-11 and we were playing the Giants. To many factors there.

We lost the 4th game at Denver 20-6.

Like I said before we averaged 20pts/game during 2001 so we have to at least match that.

Priest Holmes - 7 carries
Priest Holmes - 8 carries

3rd week --> Priest Holmes 23 carries

Calcountry
09-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Solely responsible.

I didn't realize that Roaf, Waters, Wiegmann, Shields, Gonzalez, Dunn, Kennison, Holmes, Richardson, Green and LJ had nothing to do with that.Your post made me think of Herm's PC. He said, "That is the same offense".

No it isn't Herm. It might be the same system, but it's not the same offense.

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Priest Holmes - 7 carries
Priest Holmes - 8 carries

3rd week --> Priest Holmes 23 carries

Interesting.

Though I could argue that we didn't really know what Priest could do until the 3rd game against the Redskins when he exploded.

I will cut Solari slack for his playcalling because this is his first year but I will not cut him ANY slack for putting Jordan Black out there without any help. He has been the Chiefs O-line coach for 9 years and was here when we drafted Black and was here all last year when he started so no excuses.

Let me add as well that I was very pissed last year at DV/AS for not starting LJ when he was clearly the better back and many people here including myself saw that in training camp and they didn't play much because they didn't like him which was BS.

tk13
09-13-2006, 12:46 PM
I don't think we really got all that conservative or changed the offense. I agree you don't need to have Al Saunders to run it. I'm not worried about that as much as just having someone who is inexperienced as an OC, period. I mean I wanted Solari, but we're probably going to take some lumps as he makes some mistakes on the fly. I don't think that's any reason to bash Saunders though. You gotta remember he's taking over an offense that set an NFL record for fewest yards in a playoff win last year. I'm sure he'll have them playing well in time.

Chiefnj
09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
I guess I totally missed when SOLARI WAS AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR prior to this year...

Care to point that out?

On second thought, don't bother. Saunders is untouchable. Every excuse that could be thought of has been used.

**** him.

Solari was Black's positional coach. He couldn't prep or protect him any better than what happened on Sunday? He didn't know his weaknesses?

MOhillbilly
09-13-2006, 12:56 PM
who cares.. i predict more pain this weekend.

and a diffrent attitude from the KC fandumb come monday.

if the loss of green coupled w/ a game loss isnt enough to motivate coaches and players to beat Denver(even @ home) nothing will motivate this team.

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Solari was Black's positional coach. He couldn't prep or protect him any better than what happened on Sunday? He didn't know his weaknesses?

I don't know...was he allowed to make those decisions? There's a great many assumptions that go into all of this.

The simple fact remains:

Lamenting the loss of Al Saunders is a foolish and fruitless endeavor.

bogie
09-13-2006, 01:59 PM
who cares.. i predict more pain this weekend.

and a diffrent attitude from the KC fandumb come monday.

if the loss of green coupled w/ a game loss isnt enough to motivate coaches and players to beat Denver(even @ home) nothing will motivate this team.

Unfortunately, I fear that all the motivation in the world may not change the out-come. Hope it does though.

ChiefFan31
09-13-2006, 02:56 PM
LMAO Poor Htismage.

Jesus Saunders is gone. were DOOMED!!!

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 03:00 PM
LMAO Poor Htismage.

Jesus Saunders is gone. were DOOMED!!!

Yep. We've almost been doomed.