PDA

View Full Version : Will the Chiefs stop the Bootleg?

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
09-12-2006, 06:40 PM
So will the CHIEFS finally stop the bootleg now that we have Hali instead of the "stupid dog" Hicks playing D End?

I know during the press conference today with Herm he was asked about it and went on a 10 minute rant on how hard it is to stop. Not very encouraging to hear him say that. Especially since it really isn't that hard to defend, especially when you know it is coming.

Poll Coming.....
(My first poll, hope it works.....)

BTW Why do all polls have to have a Gaz option, not that I am complaining, glad to do it, just wondering why.

Garcia Bronco
09-12-2006, 06:42 PM
It all depends on the Bronco running game...if the running game works...the bootleg is going to work

Hammock Parties
09-12-2006, 06:51 PM
The Rams gave us a blueprint on how to stop it. And Denver ran on them.

If we don't stop the bootleg this time, fire Gunther after the season.

Garcia Bronco
09-12-2006, 06:53 PM
LOL...the blue print.

Wallcrawler
09-12-2006, 06:57 PM
I think the Chiefs are gonna get ripped with it again. The defense just has that tendency to get overaggressive.

We saw it on Rudi Johnson's long TD run. Whole defense attacks, and Kawika Busted right through and had perfect position to make the play, and he just blew it. He overran it and Johnson blew right by him.

The Broncos will run the ball well. Thats what they do. And when everyone starts getting overaggressive, attacking the side of the field that the play looks like its going to try to finally stop the back from getting big gains, Plummer will roll the other way and run free all day long.

Shanahan has made his living killing the Chiefs with the bootleg. And as basic a play as it is, they never seem to be able to calm the F down and read the play instead of everyone instantly flooding to one side of the field while Plummer goes the opposite way.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2006, 07:03 PM
LOL...the blue print.

Did you guys have a single successful bootleg against the Rams? I watched the entire game and I can't remember one.

Whatever they did worked.

HerculesRockefell
09-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Did you guys have a single successful bootleg against the Rams? I watched the entire game and I can't remember one.

I only remember it being run twice. The sack and Plummer's 2nd pick. The bootleg part worked perfectly on the pick, Jake just waited too long because he had no pressue and threw a floater on top of it.

Frazod
09-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I believe the thin air gives Gun brain damage. Every goddamn time we play in Denver, it's like he's never been there before or watched so much as a highlight reel of the Donx offense. There's no reason to expect this time to be any different than any other time.

Couple this with the extreme likelihood of our defense being on the field most of the game, and.... shit, I don't even want to think about it. :shake:

Halfcan
09-12-2006, 07:33 PM
no

runnercyclist
09-12-2006, 07:43 PM
yes

suds79
09-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Well lets see.

Did the bootleg kill us last time? Yup. The time before that? Yup. How about the time before that? Yup.

Can I remember a time when we did stop the bootleg?... No not really.

So my vote is for no and I just can't see how someone could vote it any differenent unless they're seeing things through red tinted glasses.

elvomito
09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
yes

Garcia Bronco
09-12-2006, 08:21 PM

We did...it got blown up once from an all out blitz

Gravedigger
09-12-2006, 08:24 PM
As long as someone picks up on the bootleggy then we'll "stop it" I'd rather see plummer run than to get a long pass gain due to our defense falling for it again.

Deberg_1990
09-12-2006, 08:29 PM
The defense just has that tendency to get overaggressive.

We saw it on Rudi Johnson's long TD run. Whole defense attacks, and Kawika Busted right through and had perfect position to make the play, and he just blew it. He overran it and Johnson blew right by him.

The Broncos will run the ball well. Thats what they do. And when everyone starts getting overaggressive, attacking the side of the field that the play looks like its going to try to finally stop the back from getting big gains, Plummer will roll the other way and run free all day long.

I think its just the nature of Gunthers D and his philosophy in general. Its attack, attack, attack 100% of the time. Its either feast or famine. I recall several times during the mid 1990's our defense getting burned on plays because of being overagressive. Terrell Davis used to pile up big time yardage on us.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
09-12-2006, 09:05 PM
I think its just the nature of Gunthers D and his philosophy in general. Its attack, attack, attack 100% of the time. Its either feast or famine. I recall several times during the mid 1990's our defense getting burned on plays because of being overagressive. Terrell Davis used to pile up big time yardage on us.

The aggressiveness is great, but the problem I have is the lack of discipline in the aggressiveness. You know it is coming, you know what you should do to stop it. But still you get killed by it. I have a hard time thinking that Gun doesn't beat it into the players heads to be aware of it, and yet they still crash down the line every friggin time! Simply keep your gap assignment and make sure the ball was handed off.

Calcountry
09-12-2006, 09:18 PM
I think its just the nature of Gunthers D and his philosophy in general. Its attack, attack, attack 100% of the time. Its either feast or famine. I recall several times during the mid 1990's our defense getting burned on plays because of being overagressive. Terrell Davis used to pile up big time yardage on us.They shredded GRob's read and react with it too.

Do you remember Portis' Championship belt game?

wazu
09-12-2006, 10:08 PM
The bootleg is like the Crane Technique - "If done right, no can defend."

Deberg_1990
09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
They shredded GRob's read and react with it too.

Its pretty obvious by now that GRob's lack of success was mostly due to a lack of talent. Im not saying he was the best Defensive mind out there, but he actually has been somewhat vindicated the past couple of years.

wazu
09-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Its pretty obvious by now that GRob's lack of success was mostly due to a lack of talent. Im not saying he was the best Defensive mind out there, but he actually has been somewhat vindicated the past couple of years.

I don't find it obvious. I've actually seen players improve on defense since he left. Nobody ever improved as a player while G-Rob was around. And I don't care how weak the talent is, there is no excuse for not even making the Colts punt one time in Arrowhead during that playoff game.

His epitaph should read: "The Colts never punted. Not even once."

keg in kc
09-15-2006, 08:00 PM
In retrospect, Robinson did more damage to this defense than anyone realized at the time. I'm talking in terms of approach and mentality. He castrated us, basically. It's not a coincidence that it's taking years to change the attitude of the unit.

Hog Rider
09-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes, we will definitely stop the bootleg this time and I don't thi... Hey, why does everything look like it has a red tint to it?

keg in kc
09-15-2006, 08:12 PM
And it's probably been said already, I'm too lazy to read, but it's not the bootleg we need to worry about. We need to stop the run and force the game into Plummer's hands. We remember the broken bootleg plays, but what's really killed us is giving up 8 billion yards rushing to whatever back-of-the-week Denver's run out there.

wazu
09-15-2006, 08:17 PM
And it's probably been said already, I'm too lazy to read, but it's not the bootleg we need to worry about. We need to stop the run and force the game into Plummer's hands. We remember the broken bootleg plays, but what's really killed us is giving up 8 billion yards rushing to whatever back-of-the-week Denver's run out there.

I dunno. Seems to me like the bootleg is what kills us on third down over and over again, and keeps their drives alive. The RBs run wild in the second half, but the game is usually pretty much decided by then.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 08:22 PM
8 billion? I've told you 14 million times not to exaggerate.

keg in kc
09-15-2006, 08:37 PM
I dunno. Seems to me like the bootleg is what kills us on third down over and over again, and keeps their drives alive. The RBs run wild in the second half, but the game is usually pretty much decided by then.Chicken/Egg thing I guess. I think the bootleg's effective for them because of the slanting run attack. We may not always give up big runs until the second quater or half, but I remember giving up fairly consistent 4 and 5 yard gains on run plays early on. Stop that, keep Plummer in long yardage situations and we have a chance.

Although my gut says for this game, we have a chance if we keep it close early. What scares me is that they come out firing on all cylindars, we come out flat, and they blow us off the field in the first 10 minutes.

keg in kc
09-15-2006, 08:37 PM
8 billion? I've told you 14 million times not to exaggerate.And 35,001 times I've told you to bite me, denture-boy.

Easy 6
09-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Be of good cheer frazod, they cant boot on Hick's side all day no mo'. Were gonna go in there take they're lunch money and stuff the rat in his locker!!!!!!!!!

Deberg_1990
09-15-2006, 08:58 PM

I think the book on Plummer has always been fairly simple. Force him to stay in the pocket and hes pretty damn horrible. His completion percentage drops to like 40% Stuff the run and force Plummer into a pure pocket passer mode. Easier said than done of course. Players have to execute. Always a problem with this team.

Psyko Tek
09-15-2006, 09:09 PM
All wee need is to guess right once on a safety blitz and Jake will be hearing footsteps for the next 3 games

craneref
09-15-2006, 09:29 PM
All wee need is to guess right once on a safety blitz and Jake will be hearing footsteps for the next 3 games

I agree, one clean, hard shot and the bootleg page is ripped out of the playbook. Oh yeah, and Plummer starts tossing out INT's like condoms at the gay parade in San Francisco, or so I have heard!! :p

GO CHIEFS!!

boogblaster
09-15-2006, 10:26 PM
DEs have to stay at home..quit that slanting in on a QB that can scramble..hes not setting in the pocket like most QBs..make the int. throwing bastard beat u with his arm..not his feet....

bringbackmarty
09-16-2006, 12:01 AM
no, the defense will not properly defend the bootleg, but It won't matter cause the chiefs will score 50.

Valiant
09-16-2006, 12:13 AM

You seriously think the Chiefs D will have learned from watching tape??? IT will be ran on us at least 6 times...

KCSupersized
09-16-2006, 02:54 AM
Hopefully now that the have a QB on the practice squad that can move around they will prepared to stop Plummer. Although if they don't stop the run it won't matter much.