PDA

View Full Version : Post your potential solutions to the pass protection situation here.

Rain Man
09-12-2006, 08:48 PM
I'll start.

1. Start our quarterback with the strongest arm, and line him up in a shotgun 25 yards behind the line of scrimmage. That ought to buy him at least 3 seconds to throw.

2. Make a trade for T-Rich.

3. Pull Parker off the field and replace him with Dunn on every play.

4. Petition the rules committee to outlaw passing for the 2006 season as a tribute to NFL history.

5. Any time a rusher comes free, Huard will have orders to throw the ball as hard as he can at the rusher's groin. (Hey, it worked in "The Longest Yard.")

6. Put Grbac in at quarterback. Yeah, he'll get killed, but at least we'll get some entertainment value out of it.

7. Running quarterback....Larry Johnson?

8. Fax a letter to other teams on fake NFL letterhead proclaiming the institution of the "three-Mississippi rule".

9. Trade Eric Hicks to our opponent each week.

10. Play soothing music on passing downs in the hope that it will make pass rushers melancholy and lethargic.

runnercyclist
09-12-2006, 08:53 PM
punt on first down

Smed1065
09-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Good list...

ChiefaRoo
09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I believe I have a solution to KC's O-line problems.

1) First, Invent a time machine
2) Go back in time
3) Walk into King Carl's office and tell him not to scream curse words into the face of his freshly drafted Mormon OT and his agent
4) Sign said OT to a six year contract and take him out to dinner with his visiting parents
5) Tell him he's the LT of the future and a Pro Bowl prospect at RT until that time comes
6) Tell Carl to sign Kyle Turley in the offseason in 2006.

Problem solved. Now where's my flux capacitor

Hoover
09-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I like Tait, but the dude got a tone of $$$ from the Bears, there was no way to keep him

Simplex3
09-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Issue tazers to our offensive line. Or cattle prods.

ChiefaRoo
09-12-2006, 09:10 PM
I like Tait, but the dude got a tone of $$$ from the Bears, there was no way to keep him

That's why he should of been signed to a 6 year deal with an extension on or around 2003-2004. Hey, it's all academic without the time machine.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Smashmouth football.

Lots of play action.

Bennett should get 10 carries every week, at minimum.

ChiefaRoo
09-12-2006, 09:13 PM

Your right, that money needed to go to Ryan Sims ROFL

Ok, add one more.

A) Tell Carl not to trade up for Ryan Sims at #6 and pay him a buttload of money. Now KC has the money for their HAPPY and uncursed Mormon LT of the future.

Iowanian
09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
How about

Get HWY 65 off the field after warmups.

TE and FB helping in pass protection.

3 step drops, slants, quick outs and screens

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
09-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Watch alot of Denver tape and adopt the illegal chop block techniques. (Will have to change Herm Edwards name to Herm Shanarat for the league to ignore the cheating but it will be worth it)

Hammock Parties
09-12-2006, 09:20 PM
The problem this week is that if we stop throwing downfield, Denver is going to sit on all the short routes.

Last year we beat them by being agressive in the passing game early, and then later on we ran the ball down their throat.

Defense is going to have to be reeeeeeeeally good.

RedThat
09-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Mr.Rainman,

I can think of a few things. First off, I think it will be very important for this team to develop a running game. We have to run the football more. Get the ball into the hands of your best player, Larry Johnson! This team has to work its way towards it strength. That is, go right from the core of our line, the middle.

We have to utilize the strengths of our offensive football team. Pound the ball with LJ up the middle, take advantage of the blocking from Waters, Wiegman, and Shields. That is the direction we need to go.

We need to get off to fast starts in games. If we fall behind, this means more passing. And I hate to say, that'll be a liability and has me concerned. If we have no choice but to pass, Id like to see us use more 2 tightend sets. I didn't see Dunn last game, and was upset about that.

I think we have to take our chances with quick slants, short passes, quick screens, possibly a lot of shotgun formation? Max protect?

But I do know, even if we used these type of formations, our offense still won't be the same. Either way, when use lose 2 starting offensive tackles on your football team it changes the whole complexity of your offense, and basically narrows your options on what you can do on offense.

What Im hoping for, is if we ride the pine with LJ, and can sell teams on the playaction pass. Maybe that'll make a difference and make our tackles better? At least it give them that extra second or 2, and the QB can take his extra drops. This is the only thing I can think of? LJ, Waters, Wiegman, and Shields have to mask the deficient play of our tackles, or else we're screwed.

*Oh yeah, and that #77 guy, or #76 guy, say a prayer and hope either one of them comes back.

Simply Red
09-12-2006, 09:22 PM
How about

TE and FB helping in pass protection.

3 step drops, slants, quick outs and screens

It may just work. Iowanian for "O"-Coordinator. Actually that is a good thought...

Skip Towne
09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
I'd certainly give Dunn a try at RT. After all our LT is a TE and doing pretty well. Dunn has great feet and reaction times as do most TE's. Anybody remember Larry Brown out of K-State several years ago? He was a TE who was moved to LT by the Redskins. He had a very good career. I'll bet he will do better than Black and get him a pay raise at the same time. He is one big strong sum bitch. After an LJ TD, I saw him pick LJ up and hold him there for about 10 seconds as if LJ were a little schoolgirl. We might solve part of our O Line problems with a solution that is right under our nose.

JBucc
09-12-2006, 09:25 PM
block better

Hammock Parties
09-12-2006, 09:26 PM
I'd certainly give Dunn a try at RT.

How much do you know about football?

Simply Red
09-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I'd certainly give Dunn a try at RT. After all our LT is a TE and doing pretty well. Dunn has great feet and reaction times as do most TE's. Anybody remember Larry Brown out of K-State several years ago? He was a TE who was moved to LT by the Redskins. He had a very good career. I'll bet he will do better than Black and get him a pay raise at the same time. He is one big strong sum bitch. After an LJ TD, I saw him pick LJ up and hold him there for about 10 seconds as if LJ were a little schoolgirl. We might solve part of our O Line problems with a solution that is right under our nose.

Well Said...

RedThat
09-12-2006, 09:31 PM
How about

ROFL As much as I agree with you, I don't anticipate on that happening soon.

Simply Red
09-12-2006, 09:33 PM

shut up stat geek. There are such things as real life situations!

RedThat
09-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Question guys,

when did NFLE season end?

just curious because Id like to see Svitek out there. And was wondering if he'd be fresh enough to start.

Simply Red
09-12-2006, 09:34 PM
all though I truly have no problems w/ ya Go-Chiefs!

cdcox
09-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Smashmouth football.

Lots of play action.

Bennett should get 10 carries every week, at minimum.

Putting Bennett's name so close to "smashmouth" made me think of Donnell Bennett. Not good times.

Skip Towne
09-12-2006, 09:40 PM
A whole hell of a lot more than you do dipshit. And I am not a case of fat kid with arrested development that you are. Have you ever done anything honest in your entire life? You've been kicked off this board what? Six times? Yet you coninue to weasel your way back on. Then you have the audacity to call me names and accuse me of lying when I kicked the dog shit out of you on the IQ test despite your obvious cheating. You are a despicable piece of shit that can't even support himself. I'd love to slap your mommy for not swallowing the semen that became you. It's no wonder everybody on here hates you. BTW, do you plan to burden your parents with the worthless piece of crap that is you indefinitely? Do you not have any shame? You are as worthless a piece of shit as I've ever seen in my 61 years. You should commit suicide immediately. Nobody would care.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Putting Bennett's name so close to "smashmouth" made me think of Donnell Bennett. Not good times.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3843/7raidr12dx1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Hammock Parties
09-12-2006, 09:42 PM
A whole hell of a lot more than you do dipshit. .

ROFL

Dude, Dunn couldn't play right tackle any better than Black. It would be awful.

Anyway, I was referencing a Vermeil quote. Last year some idiot called in on a radio show and asked him if Dunn could play left tackle. Vermeil's response was "How much do you know about football?"

trndobrd
09-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Give Huard the flexibility to audible and run his own plays based on the game situation.

For instance, he could call a "42 Power trap double" if he spots a corner blitz (QB runs for his life to the near sideline in a desperate attempt not to be violently decapitated) or a "67 Parasol split 9 force" if he sees a linebacker moving up to the line of scrimage (QB takes the snap and lays down in a fetal position to protect his face and vital organs).

Calcountry
09-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Mr.Rainman,

I can think of a few things. First off, I think it will be very important for this team to develop a running game. We have to run the football more. Get the ball into the hands of your best player, Larry Johnson! This team has to work its way towards it strength. That is, go right from the core of our line, the middle.

We have to utilize the strengths of our offensive football team. Pound the ball with LJ up the middle, take advantage of the blocking from Waters, Wiegman, and Shields. That is the direction we need to go.

We need to get off to fast starts in games. If we fall behind, this means more passing. And I hate to say, that'll be a liability and has me concerned. If we have no choice but to pass, Id like to see us use more 2 tightend sets. I didn't see Dunn last game, and was upset about that.

I think we have to take our chances with quick slants, short passes, quick screens, possibly a lot of shotgun formation? Max protect?

But I do know, even if we used these type of formations, our offense still won't be the same. Either way, when use lose 2 starting offensive tackles on your football team it changes the whole complexity of your offense, and basically narrows your options on what you can do on offense.

What Im hoping for, is if we ride the pine with LJ, and can sell teams on the playaction pass. Maybe that'll make a difference and make our tackles better? At least it give them that extra second or 2, and the QB can take his extra drops. This is the only thing I can think of? LJ, Waters, Wiegman, and Shields have to mask the deficient play of our tackles, or else we're screwed.

*Oh yeah, and that #77 guy, or #76 guy, say a prayer and hope either one of them comes back.Valient attempt, but agains any kind of pass rush we are Pwned.

milkman
09-12-2006, 09:44 PM
block better

Brilliant!!!

You're a genious!!!!

Calcountry
09-12-2006, 09:50 PM
ROFL

Anyway, I was referencing a Vermeil quote. Last year some idiot called in on a radio show and asked him if Dunn could play left tackle. Vermeil's response was "How much do you know about football?"Rep for taking both barrels of all that Skip's impotent old dick could muster and just laughing off.

Skip Towne
09-12-2006, 09:52 PM
ROFL

Anyway, I was referencing a Vermeil quote. Last year some idiot called in on a radio show and asked him if Dunn could play left tackle. Vermeil's response was "How much do you know about football?"
Dude, Dunn couldn't possibly do any worse than Black has done. It has been common practice in the past to convert TE's to Tackle. Reference the example I cited with Larry Brown. Not to mention Turley. And exactly how do you know "it would be awful" for Dunn to play tackle? Your pudgy ass has never played a single down of football at any level. You specialize in running your ignorant mouth. I'd suggest you stay away from criticizing my posts. I wouldn't want to hurt you.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Dude, Dunn couldn't possibly do any worse than Black has done. It has been common practice in the past to convert TE's to Tackle. Reference the example I cited with Larry Brown. Not to mention Turley. And exactly how do you know "it would be awful" for Dunn to play tackle? Your pudgy ass has never played a single down of football at any level. You specialize in running your ignorant mouth. I'd suggest you stay away from criticizing my posts. I wouldn't want to hurt you.

Dude.

DICK VERMEIL knows for a fact that Jason Dunn couldn't play offensive tackle in this league if his life depended on it.

Turley has never played tight end in this league. EVER. He has ALWAYS been an offensive lineman.

Can you find ONE EXAMPLE of a former tight end playing OT in this league right now? NO.

YOU

ARE

WRONG

Calcountry
09-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Dude, Dunn couldn't possibly do any worse than Black has done. It has been common practice in the past to convert TE's to Tackle. Reference the example I cited with Larry Brown. Not to mention Turley. And exactly how do you know "it would be awful" for Dunn to play tackle? Your pudgy ass has never played a single down of football at any level. You specialize in running your ignorant mouth. I'd suggest you stay away from criticizing my posts. I wouldn't want to hurt you.I actually agree with your analysis on Dunn. You were right about Priest getting the heck out of the way for LJ.

WTF? It couldn't hurt. They are going to be run blocking most of the time anyway, and that is what Dunn does at tight end.

Easy 6
09-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Maybe we could get Dierdorf outta that steak joint & gird up for another season in the sun or Shields at LT & Grunhard back in at G.........

Rain Man
09-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Dunn weighs about 280, but I think his frame could probably hold another 150 pounds comfortably. That dude is a giant.

Calcountry
09-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Maybe we could coax Maas out of the broadcast booth, stop it already.

09-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Snipers

RedThat
09-12-2006, 10:03 PM
How about this guy?

Can't be worse than Black?

OL - wade smith

waived by the phins. use to be a starter at OT as a ROOKIE, then was a center, must've been in nick sabans doghouse...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...dolphins-front

ChiefaRoo
09-12-2006, 10:03 PM

Skip let it go. Just, let - - it - - go - - man!

Skip Towne
09-12-2006, 10:06 PM
I actually agree with your analysis on Dunn. You were right about Priest getting the heck out of the way for LJ.

WTF? It couldn't hurt. They are going to be run blocking most of the time anyway, and that is what Dunn does at tight end.
Thank you sir. What I didn't mention is that Dunn is too good an athlete to see the field no more often than he does. He has excess energy he expends by lifting a 230 lb RB off the ground for extended periods. He is a vicious blocker who loves contact. I'd like to know why they don't try it. Of course I don't know very much about football. Oh, thanks for the recognition that I saw LJ's worth before most on this board. Most don't seem to remember that.

ChiefaRoo
09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Skip if you think Dunn can play OT your loopy. OT's need a certain build and/or type of footwork that Tight End's don't have. Kyle Turley for example has the skills and footwork that put him at an elite level in the league yet he struggled in the game last week because he is rusty and probably a tad too light. Dunn has and always will be a TE. He doesn't have an OT build, he's too light in the ass and doesn't have elite technique that Turley has. Downblocking on the DT, the occasional DE block or chipping the LB is one thing but to put a 70's number on him would be crazy.

Calcountry
09-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Thank you sir. What I didn't mention is that Dunn is too good an athlete to see the field no more often than he does. He has excess energy he expends by lifting a 230 lb RB off the ground for extended periods. He is a vicious blocker who loves contact. I'd like to know why they don't try it. Of course I don't know very much about football. Oh, thanks for the recognition that I saw LJ's worth before most on this board. Most don't seem to remember that.I remember it, because I was one of the few people in the Raider game that wanted LJ in the game. Much to my surprise, you were on my side on that one.

I may be a dumbass, un initiated, underemployed "clerk" who works for himself, but my mind is as sharp as a tack, and I never forget anything.

If not have Dunn in at tackle, we should run more power formations, that is for sure. We should have Dunn in to block those, not TG.

If we are going to protect Huard more, we are going to have to have more counter run plays where we put the D in conflict as to the direction of the play. We have to have viable counters, options, off of almost every play. I noticed the Chargers running an end arround and faked to him at the virtually the same time LdT would take a hand off to the main point of attack. Then, they would fake it to him and give it to him on the arround.

This shouldn't be a problem, I mean, we have an OLINE coach as OC. I hope the heck they can tweak our offense in a hurry and adjust it to the talent that we can field otherwise this season is a complete disaster.

kregger
09-13-2006, 12:46 AM
If not have Dunn in at tackle, we should run more power formations, that is for sure. We should have Dunn in to block those, not TG.

Nothing like telegraphing the play. The reason it worked with Dunn before is because we had TRich in on the same plays, now that was an awesome blocking duo. Dunn can't catch a cold, so he wouldn't even be a decoy.

StcChief
09-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Dunn weighs about 280, but I think his frame could probably hold another 150 pounds comfortably. That dude is a giant.

So by mid next year he'd be up by >100 lbs. That won't help now.

He is worth a shot IMO at least in practice to see if his foot work
and capability. Project at this point.

Inspector
09-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Dunn instead of Black, huh?

I'm not a football technician like some here, but I do find this an interesting idea. I'd like to see what happens. Might want to experiment with Printers in there, just in case the experiment results in a tragic yet inescapable early death of the QB.

Raiderhater
09-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Utilize the play fake, alot. Infact, I'd like our first three plays at Denver to be play fakes. They'll expect the run with Huard starting, let 'em bite on the fake. And really stretch the field on the first attempt. Hell, at this point, we've got nothing to lose, no one believes we'll win anyway, so be aggressive.

ct
09-13-2006, 09:21 AM
If we're gonna talk time machines, just go back to the 2006 draft, trade up about 6 spots ahead of San Diego and draft Marcus McNeil. Let Bernie Pollard slide to the 4th round where he belongs, trade Wesley and a 6th to somebody to move into that round and still get him. Now Turley plays RT, McNeil plays LT, and Page/Pollard are starting right now at FS.

Chiefnj
09-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Any Kansas State fans here?

The Chargers drafted in the 6th round this past year a kid from Kansas State - Clary. 30+ consecutive starts and 2nd team Big 12. Would he be worth grabbing from SD's practice squad?

digi2fish
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM
replace Ronnie Cruz with Rich Gannon, line him up next to the QB, so the pass rushers will try to sack him first.

banyon
09-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Dude.

DICK VERMEIL knows for a fact that Jason Dunn couldn't play offensive tackle in this league if his life depended on it.

Turley has never played tight end in this league. EVER. He has ALWAYS been an offensive lineman.

Can you find ONE EXAMPLE of a former tight end playing OT in this league right now? NO.

YOU

ARE

WRONG

There's this dude name Brian Waters, he's pretty good I think.

ChiefsCountry
09-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Instead of going vertical with the deep ball, short passes to the flats, tight end, 5 yard out patterns with the wideouts. 3 step drop and get rid of it, simple stuff that can slow down a pass rush.