PDA

View Full Version : Lenny Walls

Lzen
09-13-2006, 10:28 AM
I hate to rehash Sunday's game, but something has been bugging me. I was at the game and noticed that on several plays, Lenny Walls was covering Chad Johnson. I think that either Surtain or Law would be covering the slot receiver in this case. Anyone heard anything from Herm interviews or anywhere else that explains this strategy?

Eleazar
09-13-2006, 10:34 AM
When they had 3 corners in, Walls took the outside man and Surtain played the slot receiver.

I don't remember Walls giving up anything big. Seemed to work well.

jiveturkey
09-13-2006, 10:35 AM
I kept thinking that someone was hurt.

We might have been in a zone so where he lined up might not have mattered. Either way I agree with Cochise, it worked well.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-13-2006, 10:36 AM
When you noticed this, was Chad motioning from one side to the other? Because maybe it was because we were playing zone. When one WR moves to the other side and the CB doesn't go with him, that usually means it's zone. I think the offense was creating the matchups they wanted with Chad, and we played mostly zone. Surtain and Law moved around some, but not much, from what I saw...and it looks like it worked out fine..

Lzen
09-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Oh, I realize that it worked ok. I'm not terribly concerned about the defense like I have been in recent years. I was simply curious as to this strategy. I also realize that on that one drive where Chad Johnson caught about 3 consecutive quick outs, Law was the one covering. It should also be pointed out that Law was yelling at someone (one of the safeties, I think) and was unprepared for the snap on at least one of those quick outs.

keg in kc
09-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Nothing new. The plan all along was to have Walls outside and either Surtain or Law inside on the slot man in nickel situaions. Been talked about in at least one press conference. Basically the idea is that we have 3 starting corners, and Walls is better on an outside receiver than he is in the slot.

Lzen
09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
When you noticed this, was Chad motioning from one side to the other? Because maybe it was because we were playing zone. When one WR moves to the other side and the CB doesn't go with him, that usually means it's zone. I think the offense was creating the matchups they wanted with Chad, and we played mostly zone. Surtain and Law moved around some, but not much, from what I saw...and it looks like it worked out fine..

Yeah, I realize how zone coverages work. Honestly, I didn't make a distinction. However, I do remember Lenny Walls lining up on Chad Johnson on several occasions before they did any motion.

jiveturkey
So I guess that this makes Sapp the Dime CB???

I know that Page was going to play that role but it looks like he might get more time at FS.

HolmeZz
You usually play your bigger corner on the outside for nickle. That utilizes their size better than playing in the slot.

Lzen
09-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Nothing new. The plan all along was to have Walls outside and either Surtain or Law inside on the slot man in nickel situaions. Been talked about in at least one press conference. Basically the idea is that we have 3 starting corners, and Walls is better on an outside receiver than he is in the slot.

Ok, that makes sense. That is good to hear. I was hoping he would do alright. I remember him starting in Denver about 3 years ago and I remember thinking he was pretty damn good at the time. Of course, Broncos fans will have you believe that he sucks.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-13-2006, 10:42 AM

Surtain working in the slot was working. Too bad that he dropped two picks (came while he was covering the slot WR)

NaptownChief
09-13-2006, 10:49 AM
If you recall from last year, Gun isn't smart enough or too stuborn to adjust to the opponents best players...Remember last year when TO destroyed us and we had LB'ers and Safeties covering him most of the game cause he doesn't adjust when the opponent moves their best players around....

ChiefsCountry
09-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Herm said that Walls is good on the outside bc of his height he would struggle as a nickel back in the slot, thus they leave him on the outside and bring Surtain or Law to cover the slot. Its not a bad setup, if Walls can keep the outside guy on the outside it can work. Plus in the dime Sapp comes in and blitzs anyways.