PDA

View Full Version : Turley Article CNN/SI

Brock
09-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Kyle Turley was on his way to get a massage, but it wasn't what you think. "Trust me, it's not gonna be fun," the Kansas City Chiefs' left tackle was telling me last Saturday afternoon as we finished our meal at Dick Clark's American Bandstand, a diner in Overland Park, Kan. "It's gonna be painful -- at least, it had better be. I'm trying out this guy, and if it turns out to be one of those 'relax and let me rub on you' massages, I'll be royally pissed."

Turley has been dealing with severe back pain since 2004, when he underwent surgery to repair a herniated disk. He reaggravated the injury at the start of training camp that summer and missed the next two seasons, dabbling in acting, TV commentary and the music industry (he played drums in a death-metal band, Perpetual Death Mode), and contemplating comebacks as a defensive end and/or tight end.

In June the eighth-year veteran finally signed to play his old position with the Chiefs, who shortly thereafter lost their starting tackles, Willie Roaf and John Welbourn, to retirement. (Welbourn may return after a six-week suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.) Turley is lean and mean and opinionated as ever, beginning with his steadfast belief that weight is overrated. As if to illustrate the point, after I asked our waitress for a cheeseburger and a chocolate shake, Turley ordered a salad.

Michael Silver: So how much do you weigh?

Kyle Turley: About 270. And trust me, that's plenty. People are fixated on my weight, but the last time I checked, football is a game, and the guy who has the best technique almost always wins. I don't care how big you are -- it's about leverage and body control. If you get lower than your opponent, you're almost always gonna win that battle. I mean, I've watched 380-pounders get thrown on their head by much smaller dudes. I saw big Kevin Gogan get lifted off the ground and tossed on his ass by John Randle. If it was just about weight, the Chiefs could've walked into any bar and signed some 300-pound f--- to play left tackle.

Silver: When we talked last year, you were done with football. What brought you back?

Turley: When the doctors told me I could rehabilitate my back and play football again and it wouldn't require another surgery, I did everything I could to make that happen. Playing in the NFL was a dream I had as a kid, and to have a chance to end my career on my terms meant everything. So I took the same approach I took at San Diego State after my redshirt freshman year, when I decided to switch from defensive line to offensive line -- because Ed White was my position coach, and I thought he'd give me my best opportunity to make it. This time I was 235 pounds, and I brought that same intensity to the weight room and got with Mark Verstegen at API [Athletes' Performance Institute] in Arizona, and then in L.A.

Silver: What about steroids? Or HGH?

Turley: I've been offered steroids my entire career, and I've never taken them, though I was tempted in college. At San Diego State we were so close to Mexico, guys used to go down to TJ [Tijuana] for lunch and stop at the pharmacy and pick up their stuff. Then they'd grab some lobster and go into the restaurant bathroom and shoot each other in the ass. I thought about doing it too, and I finally decided it would be unfair to myself if I did. When I made it to the NFL, I didn't want anybody to be able to say I had an unfair advantage. I wanted to be able to look at myself in the mirror and know that I had done it all on my own and take pride in that. And I still feel that way today, about all that stuff.

Silver: Do you think a lot of NFL players are using?

Turley: On every level, on every team, you're always going to have a couple of cheaters. It's like when you were in school -- a few people always cheated on the tests. But I don't think a lot of players do that stuff. For one thing, there's so much to be done now with diet and lifting and all the legal supplements you can buy at GNC. And though steroids might help you in the weight room, I really don't think it makes any difference come game day. At that point it's all about heart and desire and technique and intelligence.

Silver: I've never taken 'roids either.

(Turley looks at my physique and nods.)

Silver: I know you're not a big Gene Upshaw fan. What did you think of Bryant Gumbel's comments about Upshaw being Paul Tagliabue's dog?

Turley: Bryant Gumbel is a f------ moron. He's just trying to create controversy to raise his own profile, like he did when he made those ridiculous statements about the Winter Olympics. But it is true that tons of players have that same opinion of Upshaw. The majority of players are guys who are underpaid, who go to camp with split contracts and have to sign their lives away when they join a team and don't have any protection when it comes to severe disabilities. That's the majority -- but the union takes care of the fortunate ones.

I don't like the NFLPA because they turned their back on me when I was disabled and fighting for my benefits. But I have come to terms with the fact that it is a business. I'm learning through my years to get over things I can't change. I tried. I was in the union for three years, but then I realized it was useless. They have their agenda, the same way that teams do, and what it boils down to is that it's not about the players the way the union and the teams would have you believe. It's about the almighty dollar. The NFL is a multibillion-dollar industry, and everybody wants a piece of the pie.

Silver: Speaking of cash, what's up with your music career?

Turley: Well, I've started a record label, Gridiron Records, and I'm planning on kicking some ass. I had a lot of downtime when I was out for those two years, and I'd made a lot of friends in the music industry. I hooked up with this guy named Mikey Doling, who had founded a band called Snot out of Santa Barbara. They had played Ozzfest and were gonna be huge but the singer got in a car crash and died, and that was that.

Mikey's a killer guitarist, and he and I would see these phenomenal bands in Hollywood that were still unsigned, and that set the wheels in motion: 'Dude, we need to start a label.' So, now we have our own MySpace page [http://www.myspace.com/gridironrecords], and we're signing three kinds of bands: rock, hard rock and super-heavy. We have this band called Harebrain Scheme that sounds sort of like death metal mixed with the Beatles, 311-style reggae and Queen. Fred Durst heard them and was blown away; they're gonna be all over the radio. And we have a super-heavy band called Asesino that's like the Mexican Slayer -- all the lyrics are in Spanish, and the musicians all dress up as different characters. It's awesome.

Silver: That's the same word you used recently when we were talking about your new coach.

Turley: Herm Edwards is awesome. He played the game. He understands where we're coming from as players, and he treats us like men, which is a rarity in the NFL. Most coaches, especially coaches who come into a new place, rule with an iron fist. That s--- doesn't work, especially with a veteran team. With Herm there's no nonsense, no overworking and no underworking. It's right where it needs to be. You don't dread going to practice. You know he's gonna take care of you, and his assistants are cool, too. We don't have a------ drill-sergeant coaches.

All of that pays off later in the season. Come December, the teams that are overworked, if you're on the bubble, those guys are the ones who are gonna have the U-Haul packed up and ready to go. I know; I've been on those teams. And the guys with big egos, if they're coached by a guy they don't respect, they don't play as hard. They say, "Why should I?"

I know everybody in our locker room will go to war for Herm Edwards. If we win, it'll be great. And if we lose, there's gonna be a bitter feeling in the locker room that we didn't win for him. You just wait for a coach like this your whole career. All the older guys in the locker room, we sit around and go, "Where was this guy when we were younger? We wouldn't have all these aches. We'd be fresh." If I'd had him in St. Louis, I wouldn't be where I am right now, coming back from a two-year absence, that's for damn sure. This is probably going to be my last year, but the only way I'll come back and play next year is if my body feels good and Herm Edwards is my coach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/09/13/turley/index.html

NewChief
09-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Turley hangs out at Dick Clark's? That's right by the hotel we stay in in OP all the time. Never really figured it for the type of place that attracts NFL players.

JBucc
09-13-2006, 12:16 PM
If it was just about weight, the Chiefs could've walked into any bar and signed some 300-pound f--- to play left tackle.LMAO

Baby Lee
09-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Turley hangs out at Dick Clark's? That's right by the hotel we stay in in OP all the time. Never really figured it for the type of place that attracts NFL players.
There was a time that they had some amazingly good meals for great prices. Top Notch all around.
Their decor is a little . . . worn, though.
Last time my parents went, it got an 'it was all right.'
Dunno if it was an aberration.

Halfcan
09-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I like his commet on Bryant Gumball. ROFL

HC_Chief
09-13-2006, 12:23 PM

Heh, I thought the same thing. My office used to be there, across Metcalf. I never went.

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Why did we sign this shrimp?

We could have had LJ Shelton!!!

JimNasium
Looks like we'll be looking for two new tackles next year if this is his final season.

dirk digler
Great article but it looks like we are going to have to be replacing 2 tackles instead of 1.

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Looks like we'll be looking for two new tackles next year if this is his final season.

damn beat me to it :harumph:

StcChief
09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
We didn't expect more than 1 from Turley....
he was a stop gap.

ChiefaRoo
09-13-2006, 12:43 PM
LMAO

300lb fu*k? - Paging Jordan, Mr. Jordan Black

ct
09-13-2006, 01:01 PM
This guy is real. Love this guy!

the Talking Can
09-13-2006, 01:15 PM
cool interview...

ChiefsCountry
09-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Why did we sign this shrimp?

We could have had LJ Shelton!!!

Please we all know we should have had Orlando Pace as Roaf's backup. :)

kc rush
09-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Dick Clarks is supposedly a swingers restaurant. People meet there then go to the hotel nearby.

NewChief???

Chiefnj
09-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Good interview. I realize Turley is a stop-gap measure, but wow, the Chiefs OL has the potential for being a huge mess next year. No Shields, no Turley, Waters is a UFA.

HC_Chief
09-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Good interview. I realize Turley is a stop-gap measure, but wow, the Chiefs OL has the potential for being a huge mess next year. No Shields, no Turley, Waters is a UFA.

No way do we let Waters walk.

Strike that, only way we let Waters walk is if we go into full-on rebuilding mode. And even then, it would be smart to keep him: he is young and exceptionally talented.

Archie Bunker
09-13-2006, 01:47 PM

I thought they signed Waters long-term at toward the end of last season. :shrug:

Chiefnj
09-13-2006, 01:50 PM
I thought they signed Waters long-term at toward the end of last season. :shrug:

I saw a list of 2007 free agents and he was listed. It could be it wasn't updated. It's great if they signed him.

Brock
09-13-2006, 01:53 PM
He's locked up for 6 years.

ChiefsFan4Life
09-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I saw a list of 2007 free agents and he was listed. It could be it wasn't updated. It's great if they signed him.

Waters, Brian
View Stats at Players Inc Site

Player Info

Draft Info

OL (#54)

Year: 0

Kansas City Chiefs

Round: 0

DeSoto, TX

Position: 0

Salary History
2002 375000.00
2003 450000.00
2004 1000000.00
2005 1625000.00
2006 585000.00
2007 720000.00
2008 2085000.00
2009 3600000.00
2010 4400000.00
2011 5400000.00

htismaqe
09-13-2006, 02:16 PM
He may not be a free agent after next year, but he's definitely gonna be due for a re-negotiation...

Lzen
09-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Man, I really like Turley. He's a no nonsense kind of guy. Tells you exactly what's on his mind. Calls BS for what it is. :thumb:

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Man, I really like Turley. He's a no nonsense kind of guy. Tells you exactly what's on his mind. Calls BS for what it is. :thumb:

Yep. I dig his style, too.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 03:00 PM

No hes not, I thought he signed a 5 or 6 year deal last year with the Chiefs.

Iowanian
09-13-2006, 03:20 PM
"This is probably going to be my last year, but the only way I'll come back and play next year is if my body feels good and Herm Edwards is my coach."

I hate to hear that, as so far, he seems like a badass who tells it strait. I like that.

Hopefully, things will go alright for him this year, and he'll stick around another year.....ideally a long term sollution will be there, and he'd at least be the swing tackle for a year, if he wanted to take it easier on his body.

The Chiefs could easily be looking at needing 3 starting Olinemen next year.

CupidStunt
09-13-2006, 05:55 PM

I'd hope we'll be looking for two anyway.

Either that or get the younger guys, like Svitek, some playing time.

KcMizzou
09-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Man, I really like Turley. He's a no nonsense kind of guy. Tells you exactly what's on his mind. Calls BS for what it is. :thumb:Agreed.

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2006, 06:02 PM
RACE FOR BRADY QUINN!!

JBucc
09-13-2006, 06:04 PM
RACE FOR BRADY QUINN!!I have a feeling he'll end up in Oakland. That would be great for the future of the AFCW, Cutler, Rivers, Quinn, and Croyle all in the same division. That would be kind of cool.

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Turley is a no nonsense or BS kinda guy. i totally agree with him that its not all size to be a good OL in the league. Even the 300+ guys they draft high out of college with great potential sometimes turn out to be huge busts. If youre smart and you know how to aply some leverage, like Turley, you have a good chance.

Next season is VERY scary not to mention the current situation we are in now. cmon are we just gonna have weigmann and waters? were obviously gonna have to draft high on that and maybe pick up a FA. Does anybody know who the FA OL are gonna be next season?

Baby Lee
09-13-2006, 06:07 PM
I have a feeling he'll end up in Oakland. That would be great for the future of the AFCW, Cutler, Rivers, Quinn, and Croyle all in the same division. That would be kind of cool.
You say, 'Cutler, Rivers, Quinn, and Croyle,' and the state of mind I'm in, I see, 'Elway, Kelly, Marino and Blackledge.'

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2006, 06:09 PM
SHit i hope hes not a raider. im a big irish fan and theres no way im gonna root for him over there. ill have to put him on the Dead to Me board.

siberian khatru
09-13-2006, 06:11 PM
There was a time that they had some amazingly good meals for great prices. Top Notch all around.
Their decor is a little . . . worn, though.
Last time my parents went, it got an 'it was all right.'
Dunno if it was an aberration.

It's got a good beat and you can dance to it. I give it a 73.

CupidStunt
09-13-2006, 06:42 PM
I know it's not chic to say so, but Black wasn't the only guy allowing pressure last Sunday.

Sure, he sucked the worst. By far. But I didn't think Turley was very good at all, either. He got tossed around like a ragdoll at times.

He keeps going back to the, "it's not about weight", line, but it certainly plays apart. I don't think a 300+ lb'er would get thrown around like he did at times.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic. We'll see this Sunday. It would surprise me if the offensive line provided even moderate protection for Huard.

runnercyclist
09-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it was just about weight, the Chiefs could've walked into any bar and signed some 300-pound f--- to play left tackle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the Jordan Black experiment

Simply Red
09-13-2006, 09:21 PM

yep!

Miles
09-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Yep. I dig his style, too.

Agreed. He takes pretty much the exact approach to the game I like to see.

el borracho
09-14-2006, 12:38 AM
We absolutely have to have either Sampson or Svitek become a dominant player or we are seriously screwed for the next two years.