PDA

View Full Version : Roaf moved to Retired list

Phobia
09-13-2006, 04:46 PM
He met with Carl today. Press conference tomorrow.

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Any chance, the retirement being announced is Carl's (instead of Willie, heh)....? :hmmm:

:banghead:

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 04:47 PM
http://kcchiefs.com/news/2006/09/13/peterson_and_roaf_speak_of_retirement/

PETERSON AND ROAF SPEAK OF RETIREMENT
Sep 13, 2006, 5:42:46 PM

Chiefs President Carl Peterson said today that he had spoken to T Willie Roaf last night and that based upon that conversation the club will change the player’s roster status from Reserve/Did Not Report to Reserve/Retired. The two men enjoyed a lengthy conversation, Peterson said, and he acknowledged that he and the Chiefs “are comfortable with Willie’s decision.”

“I’ve gone through this retirement process with players many times,” Peterson said, “with John Alt, Tim Grunhard, Marcus Allen and Joe Montana. It is never easy; it comes to all players sooner or later, and we respect Willie’s decision. As it was with all these previous players, Willie was a terrific player and a terrific person. His teammates, coaches and everyone associated with the Chiefs will miss him.”

Peterson said that the Chiefs will have a recognition ceremony for Roaf later this year to pay tribute to “his accomplishments in his four Pro Bowl years in Kansas City, and his previous eight years and seven Pro Bowls in the NFL.” Roaf began his career with the New Orleans Saints as a number one draft choice, but was traded to Kansas City in 2002 for a third-round pick.

Peterson said he was “hopeful that in four years Willie will be considered for the Chiefs Hall of Fame, and in five years be considered for selection into the Pro Football Hall of Fame for his superlative play over his career.”

DaFace
09-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Wow...WPI isn't invincible after all...

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/5729/wpiza7.th.jpg (http://img226.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wpiza7.jpg)

;)

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 04:50 PM
WPI is up.

OldTownChief
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Good

Phobia
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Clear your cache, DaFace. I haven't seen a problem and I've been on it for the past hour.

DaFace
09-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Clear your cache, DaFace. I haven't seen a problem and I've been on it for the past hour.

It only lasted about 10 seconds. I reloaded once, got the same error, reloaded again, and it came right up. I'm just givin ya a hard time.

TrickyNicky
09-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Finally. Closure. Let's move on.

Psyko Tek
09-13-2006, 04:54 PM
put him in the ring of honor on the thanksgiving Deanver game

dirk digler
09-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Finally. Closure. Let's move on.

Yep

Coach
09-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Question. Once he's officially retired, will the Chiefs reclaim some of the salary back?

Just am wondering.

JimNasium
09-13-2006, 05:11 PM
**** you Willie. I will only be mad for the ten days following each Jordan Black start at RT.

StcChief
09-13-2006, 05:16 PM
put him in the ring of honor on the thanksgiving Deanver game
The 4-5 year rule...

That only happens if your DT and/or you die.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 05:23 PM
For every sack that we allow, you will scream a dozen times.

bogie
09-13-2006, 06:02 PM
I hold Willie responsible for Green's injury.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 06:03 PM

Seriously?

Adept Havelock
09-13-2006, 06:04 PM

:spock:

Funny, I thought Geathers was the one who hit Green.

bogie
09-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Seriously?

Green had to scramble because the line broke down.

DaFace
09-13-2006, 06:09 PM

No, no, no. It's HERM's fault. Or at least Carl's. Or maybe Lamar's. :shrug:

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 06:09 PM
That's not entirely accurate. Green scrambled because a blitzer came through and applied pressure. It was a play action pass, and the blitzer went right for Green. It looks to me like the blitzer was LJ's assignment, but he came through so fast he didn't have a chance. Green eluded the blitzer and just took off.

bogie
09-13-2006, 06:11 PM
:spock:

Funny, I thought Geathers was the one who hit Green.

Geathers delivered the blow. Green's ass was hung out because of the line breaking down, a lot.

bogie
09-13-2006, 06:13 PM
That's not entirely accurate. Green scrambled because a blitzer came through and applied pressure. It was a play action pass, and the blitzer went right for Green. It looks to me like the blitzer was LJ's assignment, but he came through so fast he didn't have a chance. Green eluded the blitzer and just took off.

Willie would have compensated for the missed assignment.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Here's the replay. I think the line actually did their job on this one. Ironic.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9645/green5ydscrambleblastedandinjuredxd2.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Willie would have compensated for the missed assignment.

ROFL

Look at the replay. Willie is good, but he's not omnipotent.

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Right before Green got knocked out he made another scramble for the first down. It didnt look like the bengals were applying THAT much pressure so much as it looked like the receivers werent getting open and Green was trying to do WAY too much. Yeah the hit was bad and probably illegal, but Green shoulda ran out of bounds and settled for a 7 yard gain instead of a 10 yarder.
I think he realized that the offense was not going anywhere and he felt that he had to do everything himself.

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2006, 06:20 PM
And gochiefs, maybe you can help me answer this question that had been bugging me.

How come with Huard in did TG all the sudden turn into MR. All World tight end again? You would think that with Green out, Huard would need as much protection as possible and TG would be blocking the whole time. But no, with Green out suddenly TG is the best receiver we got again.

bogie
09-13-2006, 06:22 PM

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9645/green5ydscrambleblastedandinjuredxd2.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Wow, LJ really missed his assignment. I still blame Willie.

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2006, 06:26 PM
looking at that replay it doesnt look like its LJ's fault but Cruz's. I don't see how Lj could have done any better, it was a play action pass that had him coming over to Greens right side and the blitzer was on the other side. LJ had to lunge over and try to get a piece of him before he slammed into green. LJ actually probably saved a sack there.
But in doing so, got green knocked out....fu_ck you LJ

OldTownChief
09-13-2006, 06:27 PM

Damn, if that had been a run and LJ eluded the blitzer, he'd still be running.

DJ's left nut
09-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Why is it Roaf's fault? Pretty simple.

Black is getting owned, repeatedly. Look at that play, Black gets his ass handed to him again. Cruz had to chip the end (who is again going right by I-65) and in doing so couldn't pick up the blitzer.

So, to recap:

If Roaf is in, he's at LT doing what competent LTs do. Turley is at RT, being at least passable (or at least not the speedbump that Black is). Cruz is then able to pick up the blitzing linebacker.

Roaf screwed this team. Badly. I have no interest in him being in the ring of honor. We didn't win anything with him here and the circumstances surrouning his departure are shady at best.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
And gochiefs, maybe you can help me answer this question that had been bugging me.

How come with Huard in did TG all the sudden turn into MR. All World tight end again? You would think that with Green out, Huard would need as much protection as possible and TG would be blocking the whole time. But no, with Green out suddenly TG is the best receiver we got again.

Green threw to Gonzalez 5 times.

Huard threw to Gonzalez 7 times.

Not a huge difference. Huard was also throwing the ball more than Green.

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Green threw to Gonzalez 5 times.

Huard threw to Gonzalez 7 times.

Not a huge difference. Huard was also throwing the ball more than Green.

Damn, 12 balls? it didn't seem like it during the game. especially not with green. but thats good, im glad to see TG is getting more his way, maybe his TD total will go back to 2004. Were gonna need it even more this year. Is Gardner gonna start right away does anybody know?

Sure-Oz
09-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Cya Willie, i don't want to hear his name the rest of the season.

KingPriest2
09-13-2006, 06:47 PM

LJ is on the wrong side of Trent no way he would have blocked him.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 06:48 PM
I don't think it was anyone's fault. Just an unfortunate accident. Trent should have gotten out of bounds.

OldTownChief
09-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't think it was anyone's fault. Just an unfortunate accident. Trent should have gotten out of bounds.

Why wouldn't the same thug that hit him on the ground, hit him out of bounds?

JimNasium
09-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Cya Willie, i don't want to hear his name the rest of the season.
Willie Willie Willie Willie Willie

OldTownChief
09-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Free Willie

Chiefnj
09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Phobia,

Why did Carl change his mind about moving Roaf to the retired list? What was Roaf threatening to say on Thursday?

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Phobia,

Why did Carl change his mind about moving Roaf to the retired list? What was Roaf threatening to say on Thursday?

that carl forced him into retirement so Green would get killed, and then the Chiefs season would go down the shitter with all the blame on Herm, and then he could draft Brady Quinn and receive all the credit when we win the SB in two years

unlurking
09-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Can't really blame LJ. He was coming from behind Trent. The only way he could have put any better a block in would be by knocking Trent down. LJ actually did a damn good job on that.

L.A. Chieffan
09-13-2006, 09:40 PM
did anybody read my post right after bogie's? it's LJ's fault that Green was in the hospital! THAT BASTARD!

PastorMikH
09-13-2006, 09:44 PM
What does this do to the '06 salary cap?

ChiefsKing
09-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Why is it Roaf's fault? Pretty simple.

Black is getting owned, repeatedly. Look at that play, Black gets his ass handed to him again. Cruz had to chip the end (who is again going right by I-65) and in doing so couldn't pick up the blitzer.

So, to recap:

If Roaf is in, he's at LT doing what competent LTs do. Turley is at RT, being at least passable (or at least not the speedbump that Black is). Cruz is then able to pick up the blitzing linebacker.

Roaf screwed this team. Badly. I have no interest in him being in the ring of honor. We didn't win anything with him here and the circumstances surrouning his departure are shady at best.

Well said.....my thoughts exactly. :clap:

Phobia
09-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Phobia,

I don't have any idea. I've been thinking all along that he hadn't officially retired because they hadn't reached an injury settlement. I think those matters have to be cleared up before he can retire. But I could be wrong. There are a lot of details that changed with the new CBA. Will he still have a press conference tomorrow? Will anybody go? I don't plan to.

listopencil
09-13-2006, 10:42 PM

Who is that lined up just in front of LJ at the snap? Is that a Fullback? It's his fault. He jumps to his right to help block, completely missing the extra blitzers up the middle. If that was the FB, you can blame this on the loss of Tony Richardson, not Willie Roaf.

listopencil
09-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Can't really blame LJ. He was coming from behind Trent. The only way he could have put any better a block in would be by knocking Trent down. LJ actually did a damn good job on that.

Yeah, LJ did do a decent job of picking up that blitz.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Who is that lined up just in front of LJ at the snap? Is that a Fullback? It's his fault. He jumps to his right to help block, completely missing the extra blitzers up the middle. If that was the FB, you can blame this on the loss of Tony Richardson, not Willie Roaf.

Good point. I imagine the fullback is supposed to take on any blitzers.

OldTownChief
09-14-2006, 05:12 AM
If LJ hadn't got a piece of the blitzer, Trent would have been blasted at the 42. Excellent move by 27. The fullback had to pick up Black's man.

Chiefnj
09-14-2006, 08:02 AM
That was a nice blitz. Good execution. They overloaded the left side and drop the outide lineman on the right back into coverage. I65 thinks he has to go outside and his man beats him badly inside drawing Cruz over.

RedThat
09-14-2006, 10:12 AM

Yup. Your right listopencil. That was Ronnie Cruz :cuss:

RedThat
09-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Either way, you look at that play closely, Black woulda been beat. Cruz had to help him out.

Skip Towne
09-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Damn, if that had been a run and LJ eluded the blitzer, he'd still be running.
I dunno. He usually stops at the end zone.

HC_Chief
09-14-2006, 10:42 AM
This should have happened back in May. Stupid move on CP's part.

Iowanian
09-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Does this move suddenly make Money available to the Chiefs in salary cap? Cash?

If nothing else, it frees money to work on LJ, Kawika et al...throw kennison a bone.

If its rebuild time, I'm almost in the corner of Moving #88 for a couple of draft picks.

greg63
09-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Roaf moved to Retired list

I thought he moved back to New Orleans. :p

morphius
09-14-2006, 11:40 AM
It looks like Cruz saw two issues, looked like he thought abot coming after the blitzer that pressured Green, but also saw that Black was going to be run straight through. Obviously Cruz tookthe wrong one as the other guy was untouched and LJ had to dive to get his hands on the guy. Them dropping the end and bring the LB got Black completely off balance.

Just ugly.

morphius
09-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Does this move suddenly make Money available to the Chiefs in salary cap? Cash?

If nothing else, it frees money to work on LJ, Kawika et al...throw kennison a bone.

If its rebuild time, I'm almost in the corner of Moving #88 for a couple of draft picks.
I think, not positve, but I think we were already getting all the advantages out of it, which is why we were 11 mil under the cap. Basically, I believe that is 3.5 mil will not count against us, but of course the rest of his bonus could.

almost confusing.

listopencil
09-14-2006, 12:13 PM
It looks like Cruz saw two issues, looked like he thought abot coming after the blitzer that pressured Green, but also saw that Black was going to be run straight through. Obviously Cruz tookthe wrong one as the other guy was untouched and LJ had to dive to get his hands on the guy. Them dropping the end and bring the LB got Black completely off balance.

Just ugly.

Yeah, I see what you mean but Cruz immediately shifted to his right while facing direct pressure from an unblocked blitzer. Maybe he figured Green was supposed to sprint to his right after the playaction and he was shifting his blocking accordingly. I don't know. But Cruz definitely made the worst choice he could have in that situation.

listopencil
09-14-2006, 12:14 PM
BTW, this is why I would have loved to have gotten Richardson. I know why KC did what they did but I love having a kick ass FB on my team. I wonder if they could have just cut Holmes to keep TR? I don't know enough about the rules or your guys' situation.

DJ's left nut
09-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean but Cruz immediately shifted to his right while facing direct pressure from an unblocked blitzer. Maybe he figured Green was supposed to sprint to his right after the playaction and he was shifting his blocking accordingly. I don't know. But Cruz definitely made the worst choice he could have in that situation.

I swear I went over this already.

Cruz had no choice. That was most likely a designed block. Black was getting owned on every play, Solari saw that and likely decided he needed help.

So you send Cruz over to pick up the double on Black's man. Cruz slid immediately to the right b/c that was his assignment, otherwise it would have made no sense for him to ditch any sort of read on that (it wasn't as though the blitz was well disguised). His movement to the right was just too quick after the playaction for it to be anything other than a designed block.

Jordon Black's incompetence put Cruz out of position b/c Cruz was forced to cover. Now, I've possibly been unduely harsh on Roaf, or at the very least not harsh enough on Welbourne. Had Welbourne kept the needle out of his arm, we'd have avoided this mess as well, but at least Welbourne 'retired' soon enough for us to replace him (i.e. Turley). Even had Welbourne stayed and Roaf retired when he did, we'd probably just be starting Black at LT instead.

listopencil
09-14-2006, 12:51 PM
I swear I went over this already.

Cruz had no choice. That was most likely a designed block. Black was getting owned on every play, Solari saw that and likely decided he needed help.

So you send Cruz over to pick up the double on Black's man. Cruz slid immediately to the right b/c that was his assignment, otherwise it would have made no sense for him to ditch any sort of read on that (it wasn't as though the blitz was well disguised). His movement to the right was just too quick after the playaction for it to be anything other than a designed block.

Jordon Black's incompetence put Cruz out of position b/c Cruz was forced to cover. Now, I've possibly been unduely harsh on Roaf, or at the very least not harsh enough on Welbourne. Had Welbourne kept the needle out of his arm, we'd have avoided this mess as well, but at least Welbourne 'retired' soon enough for us to replace him (i.e. Turley). Even had Welbourne stayed and Roaf retired when he did, we'd probably just be starting Black at LT instead.

I understand that there are blocking assignments on every play but when you face an unblocked blitzer right in front of you on his way to the QB then you have to pick that up. Then LJ can veer to his right after the play action and help the RT. I think it's a play TR would have made.

jspchief
09-14-2006, 03:20 PM
It's a play action pass. The Linemen and FB have to sell it just like the QB and RB do. From the looks of things, it was designed to feign a run right. That would explain the RT moving to the outside, and the FB heading into the gap created.

It was a well timed blitz to the perfect spot. And really, LJ had a decent pickup. Green had plenty of room to manuever when he rolled to the right, the problem is the apparent lack of open receivers that forces him to tuck it and run. If anyone would have been open, Green had plenty of time to throw.