View Full Version : Chiefs best backup QBs

Wile_E_Coyote
09-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Mike Livingston is prolly considered the best as a Chief
Warren Moon though terrible at his one start as a Chief is a HOFer
Gannon(though I can't stand him) went on to a great career in Oakland

FloridaMan88
09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
During the Peterson era without a doubt it was Rich Gannon.

Gonzo
09-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Dave Kreig was a backup for a bit wasn't he?

Archie Bunker
09-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Dave Kreig was a backup for a bit wasn't he?

I think so, during the Montana years.

NJ Chief Fan
09-14-2006, 01:24 PM
STEVE FAKKIN BONO YEAH

KCGridironBeast
09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
No mention of Todd Collins? I've never seen anyone hold a clipboard with as much poise and skill as he did.

JBucc
09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Brodie Croyle. It's too bad he never got a chance with Damon "Mr. MVP" Huard in front of him all those years.

siberian khatru
09-14-2006, 01:30 PM
I think so, during the Montana years.

In fact, he came in for a shaken-up Montana and threw a key touchdown pass vs. Pittsburgh in the 1993 playoff win.

Hoover
09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
The back up we ever has was Bubby Brister (SP?)

Gonzo
09-14-2006, 01:38 PM
In fact, he came in for a shaken-up Montana and threw a key touchdown pass vs. Pittsburgh in the 1993 playoff win.

That's right! Then he played like a paraplegic with parkinsons in Buffalo 2 weeks later.

You know, it's a damn shame. I turned thirty today and that may be the closest I ever see them to the SB.

DenverChief
09-14-2006, 03:09 PM
That's right! Then he played like a paraplegic with parkinsons in Buffalo 2 weeks later.

You know, it's a damn shame. I turned thirty today and that may be the closest I ever see them to the SB.

I thought that was Steve Bono?

Dave Kreig was a backup to GrBac?

siberian khatru
09-14-2006, 03:17 PM
I thought that was Steve Bono?

Dave Kreig was a backup to GrBac?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1993-94#AFC:_Kansas_City_Chiefs_27.2C_Pittsburgh_Steelers_24_.28OT.29

Predarat
09-14-2006, 03:22 PM
That Mark Vlassic guy was OK as a back up, you wouldnt want him to start but he did alright when he played.

boogblaster
09-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Kreig would have got us to the championship game the year Grsuck got hurt if Marty hadnt started him over Kreig....

Marcellus
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Kreig would have got us to the championship game the year Grsuck got hurt if Marty hadnt started him over Kreig....

That was Gannon.

OldTownChief
09-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Steve Fuller had a few good games.

OldTownChief
09-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Chiefs 28, Raiders 17

October 26, 1981, Monday
(NYT); Sports Desk
Late City Final Edition, Section C, Page 6, Column 1, 215 words

A Kansas City rookie, Billy Jackson, rushed for three late touchdowns and Gary Spani, a linebacker, offset a final Oakland rally by streaking 91 yards to score with a recovered fumble as the Chiefs surged to victory. The triumph was keyed by Steve Fuller, who took over at quarterback for Bill Kenney in the third quarter.

Skip Towne
09-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Steve Fuller had a few good games.
Steve Fuller has a SB ring. He must be the best.

Smed1065
09-14-2006, 08:15 PM
ruck, we got screwed with !!! over RG, We know we missed our decade window right there. BE REAL.

Frazod
09-14-2006, 08:20 PM
No mention of Todd Collins? I've never seen anyone hold a clipboard with as much poise and skill as he did.

You know, I didn't think about this until now, but Collins had to be pissed last week. He's here backing up Trent for years, and Green never so much as limps off the field. But the first game after he leaves... BOOM.

Not that I really care, but that sure doesn't seem to fair to poor old 0dd t0dd.

OldTownChief
09-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Has Ron Jaworski been mentioned?

He moved on to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1989, starting a pair of games in a QB rotation that included Steve DeBerg and Steve Pelluer. At one point, he and center Mike Webster formed the oldest starting QB-Center combo in NFL history. Following that season, he retired as an NFL player. Jaworski turned down appeals to return to the Eagles in 1991, when Cunningham was lost for the season in Week 1 against the Green Bay Packers, on account of a helmet-to-knee hit by linebacker Bryce Paup.

PastorMikH
09-14-2006, 09:56 PM
You know, I didn't think about this until now, but Collins had to be pissed last week. He's here backing up Trent for years, and Green never so much as limps off the field. But the first game after he leaves... BOOM.

Not that I really care, but that sure doesn't seem to fair to poor old 0dd t0dd.

Actually, I'll bet he was thankful he got out when he did. He was probably thinking, "Man, if I had stuck around, I would have had to entrust my clipboard to a 3rd stringer. I would have hated to do that!"

Frazod
09-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Actually, I'll bet he was thankful he got out when he did. He was probably thinking, "Man, if I had stuck around, I would have had to entrust my clipboard to a 3rd stringer. I would have hated to do that!"
I wonder if they let him take the clipboard with him when he left? I assume he got very attached to it. Kind of like Tom Hanks in Castaway with the soccer ball. :D

Rausch
09-14-2006, 10:10 PM
As far as the ability to step in at any moment and produce it's a lock: Gannon.

He was always ready to go and always played well...

Deberg_1990
09-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Come on guys.....your forgetting about the one Hall of Famer we had for a backup for a few years.

Warren Moon. Technically he would have been the best backup QB we ever had.

Fishpicker
09-14-2006, 10:29 PM
That Mark Vlassic guy was OK as a back up, you wouldnt want him to start but he did alright when he played.

ya he backed up Deberg and even won a few. Kreig backed up Montana in '93

blueballs
09-15-2006, 12:55 AM
1969: Ten years after Lamar Hunt helped create the AFL the league which no one thought would last, was playing its final season. However, the league, which no one took seriously when it was first formed, was not folding instead it was becoming part of the NFL following the 1969 season. Three years after a merger to form a common draft and the Super Bowl III AFL finally had the legitimacy it sought for years when the New York Jets stunned the Baltimore Colts, This set the stage for the NFL to take over the AFL, keeping the league intact, while adding 3 NFL teams so both the newly billed AFC, and NFC would have 13 teams apiece. Although the move ended the AFL as a separate league it would only make pro-football stronger, and would prove to be a victory for Lamar Hunt and the misfit AFL owners, who would now be on equal footing with the NFL owners, and teams. The Chiefs opened the final AFL season with impressive wins over San Diego and Boston, but lost QB Len Dawson with a knee injury. The next week, backup Jacky Lee went down with a broken ankle, leaving the team's most crucial position in the hands of two-year pro Mike Livingston. In his first game Livingston struggled in a loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. However Livingston would bounce back and the Chiefs would win their next 7 before losing at home to their nemeses the Oakland Raiders. As the season was winding down Len Dawson returned, but after the Chiefs lost to the Raiders again the Chiefs were forced to settle for 2nd place with an 11-3 record. However, the AFL in its final year gave a playoff spot to their division runner-ups so they could get an extra round of playoffs. In the 1st Round of the Playoffs the Chiefs were matched up with the defending Super Bowl Champion Jets in New York. The Chiefs defense would dominate all game shutting down Joe Namath, and holding the Jets to 6 points as the Chiefs advanced to the AFL Championship 13-6. However, if the Chiefs were going to get back to the Super Bowl they would have to beat their Nemeses in Oakland. As if it were pre-ordained the Chiefs defense would be up to the task again, in the game that would be the final game in AFL history, holding the Raiders to just 7 points, to win the final AFL Championship and advance to their 2nd Super Bowl. The Chiefs would become the only AFL franchise to win 3 Championships counting their years in Dallas.

Immaculate
09-15-2006, 02:25 AM
Gannon.

Marcellus
09-15-2006, 06:08 AM
As far as the ability to step in at any moment and produce it's a lock: Gannon.

He was always ready to go and always played well...

While I agree Gannon was the best back up I rememebr us using, your statment is a huge exaggeration.

I remember several times in Gannon's carreer he played like poop.

I especially rememeber a game he came in for Elvis I believe sometime in the 4th quarter.I remember a drive at the end of the game and we were down. 2 consecutive times in the red zone Gannon dropped back and proceeded to fall on his ass as if blades of grass were tripping him. I think we ended the game with him getting sacked.

It was pathetic. In fact it was as bad as Huard started out Sunday. That may be a good sign, Gannon ended up pretty good, maybe Huard will.

Predarat
09-15-2006, 08:58 AM
While I agree Gannon was the best back up I rememebr us using, your statment is a huge exaggeration.

I remember several times in Gannon's carreer he played like poop.

I especially rememeber a game he came in for Elvis I believe sometime in the 4th quarter.I remember a drive at the end of the game and we were down. 2 consecutive times in the red zone Gannon dropped back and proceeded to fall on his ass as if blades of grass were tripping him. I think we ended the game with him getting sacked.

Gannon couldn't ever do sh1t in Jacksonville, it always seemed when girlybac went down the next week they would play in Jacksonville, Gannon would suck then play better after that.