PDA

View Full Version : Willie, H.O.F, and the Saints

The Dude Abides
09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Just reading Fatlock's column, and he talked to Roaf's dad. About how it would be cool to be in the Arrowhead Ring of Fame, but go into Canton as a Saint. F*ck that. I respect he wants to be immortalized with a New Orleans jersey, but if you do that, you don't get honored with us. Thats like having 2 mistresses, announcing to the world you have chosen just the one, then expecting the rejected one to still service you. Nope.

Brock
09-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Roaf doesn't really belong in the ring anyway, IMO.

BigRock
09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
You don't go into the football HOF as a member of a certain team. You just go in.

The Dude Abides
09-15-2006, 02:10 PM
You don't go into the football HOF as a member of a certain team. You just go in.
Are you sure about that? I very well may be wrong, but I dont think so. Marcus Allen, Raider. Joe Montana, 49er. Etc.

vckcchiefs04
09-15-2006, 02:11 PM
:rolleyes: Try again.....everyone goes in with a certain team. Unless you pull a Marcus Allen who went in as a Chief and Faider, which I think Roaf will do as well.

Easy 6
09-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Must say that i dont understand his logic here, the Aint's dropped him like a bum after his first serious injury. He came here and was treated like the SECOND COMING fer' cripe pete. Not to mention he had far more success here.............

Hoover
09-15-2006, 02:12 PM

I agree with that.

I love Willie, and I'm glad he played his final years in KC, but he should be in the Saint Ring of Honor not ours.

Mr. Laz
09-15-2006, 02:14 PM
i think they changed the way players go into the HOF after marcus allen faider vs Chiefs deal.

they either don't go in for a certain team OR the HOF guys choose which team the player goes in for.

either way they took the pressure off the players to decide.

vckcchiefs04
09-15-2006, 02:16 PM
i think they changed the way players go into the HOF after marcus allen faider vs Chiefs deal.

they either don't go in for a certain team OR the HOF guys choose which team the player goes in for.

either way they took the pressure off the players to decide.

I have never heard of that......but if so, that might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

BigRock
09-15-2006, 02:18 PM
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.jsp

Is a New Hall of Fame Member Enshrined as a Member of a Team?

Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization. Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time. An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined. When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.

It'll just list that Willie played for the Saints and the Chiefs, he won't be put in as a member of one team over the other.

The Dude Abides
09-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Well, the comments by Willie's dad were to the effect that his 'real' team was the Saints. Rules or no, it's the words and meaning that are being flung around.

Fish
09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Must say that i dont understand his logic here, the Aint's dropped him like a bum after his first serious injury. He came here and was treated like the SECOND COMING fer' cripe pete. Not to mention he had far more success here.............

He did take NO to their first playoff game in history.... and he's from Louisiana....

Easy 6
09-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Not real sure.....? But wouldnt he be the 1st Aint' in the HOF? Maybe he's tryin' to give them that measure of respect, though it's still hard to understand why, given his treatment in the past.

Brock
09-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Not real sure.....? But wouldnt he be the 1st Aint' in the HOF? Maybe he's tryin' to give them that measure of respect, though it's still hard to understand why, given his treatment in the past.

They have a few, but none that played their best years with NO. For example, Earl Campbell. Again, I'm not sure whether any of the players specified what team they were going in "as".

Brock
09-15-2006, 02:34 PM
This is what the HOF website has for Saints inductees.

New Orleans Saints (1/4)

Doug Atkins (1982) - 1967-1969
Earl Campbell (1991) - 1984-1985
JIM FINKS (1995) - 1986-1992
Hank Stram (2003) - 1976-1977
Jim Taylor (1976) - 1967

so I'm not too sure it really matters.

Easy 6
09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Hank f'n Stram is listed as an Aint...........wow? Thought his name was synonomous w/ CHIEF football.

Brock
09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Hank f'n Stram is listed as an Aint...........wow? Thought his name was synonomous w/ CHIEF football.

He's listed as a chief too. That's what I'm saying.

Easy 6
09-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Guess if it doesnt matter to the inductee then no big woop, but they should be allowed to specify if they have a beef like Marcus etc.

The Dude Abides
09-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Guess if it doesnt matter to the inductee then no big woop, but they should be allowed to specify if they have a beef like Marcus etc.
I agree with that. But the whole situation rather irritated me.

Easy 6
09-15-2006, 03:14 PM
I wrestle w/ myself to. One part of me want's to thank him for his time here, pat him on the back & wish him luck. The other half want's to ask why it was done in the way it was. We can blame the King for w/ holding info sure. But Willie was a lil' shady through-out all of this to. Dunno' guess i'll just try to move on :shrug:

The Dude Abides
09-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Thats all we can do. That, and maybe invest in some body armor for Trent.

JimNasium
09-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Willie played more years with the Saints. I can't argue with him identifying himself first and foremost with the Saints. It's not like he came in and led us to post-season glory. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding the rationale of some of the posters here.

Easy 6
09-15-2006, 03:27 PM
All i'm really tryin' to say JimNasium is that NO gave him no benefit of the doubt and dumped him stone cold after the injury and gave him away cheap to boot. I just thought he might want to identify himself w/ a team that respected him. But on second thought maybe something went down that we are not privy to?

The Dude Abides
09-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Willie played more years with the Saints. I can't argue with him identifying himself first and foremost with the Saints. It's not like he came in and led us to post-season glory. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding the rationale of some of the posters here.
Then try to read the thread heading before you post next time. He, (or his dad) wants his cake and eat it to. Willie's big and all, but he has to save some for us. Cake.

PastorMikH
09-15-2006, 03:33 PM

I agree. I'm glad Willie came to play for us. But I don't think he he has been here long enough or done enough for us to earn a spot in the Ring of Fame.

FWIW, if Willie's going to be put in the Ring of Fame because he's a Hall of Famer that played in KC, Joe Montana should be in there. Not only did make the HOF, he took us further in the playoffs than we've been in 35 years. Also, Marcus Allen should be there. He played longer than Roaf and set his records as a Chiefs. Now, I'm not saying that either Marcus or Montana should be in the ROF, I'm saying that I think they have more right to it than Roaf. (Course I'd have less problem seeing Roaf's name up there than I do Niel Smith's)

I have no problem with Willie going into the HOF as a Saint. But I also think that he should recieve ROF Honors by the Saints, not the Chiefs.

cdcox
09-15-2006, 03:39 PM
This is what the HOF website has for Saints inductees.

New Orleans Saints (1/4)

Doug Atkins (1982) - 1967-1969
Earl Campbell (1991) - 1984-1985
JIM FINKS (1995) - 1986-1992
Hank Stram (2003) - 1976-1977
Jim Taylor (1976) - 1967

so I'm not too sure it really matters.

Note that JIM FINKS is listed in all caps, but the other enteries are in normal case. The people listed in all caps spent the majority of their career with that team. The player does not choose the team under which they are listed in all caps. Roaf will be listed in all caps under the Saints. But he won't go in as either a Chief or a Saint. He will just go in.

JimNasium
09-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Then try to read the thread heading before you post next time. He, (or his dad) wants his cake and eat it to. Willie's big and all, but he has to save some for us. Cake.
I guess I don't look at it the same way as you do. He was a productive player for both teams. While I personally don't think he belongs in the Ring of Fame he certainly was the caliber of player to be placed up there. Additionally, he was a dominant force in New Orleans and so if he wants to be remembered as a Saint why does it matter. I don't really view that as a slap to Kansas City at all.

The Dude Abides
09-15-2006, 03:43 PM
I guess I don't look at it the same way as you do. He was a productive player for both teams. While I personally don't think he belongs in the Ring of Fame he certainly was the caliber of player to be placed up there. Additionally, he was a dominant force in New Orleans and so if he wants to be remembered as a Saint why does it matter. I don't really view that as a slap to Kansas City at all.
Well I have no problem with any of his wishes. Not even that he wants to go as a Saint. Thats fine. Just dont go and do that, then expect us to honor you also.

The Dude Abides
09-15-2006, 03:44 PM
But thats the great thing here, that we can discuss it. Also, for the record, F*ck Neil Smith. He can go suck a Donkie D***

PastorMikH
09-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Well I have no problem with any of his wishes. Not even that he wants to go as a Saint. Thats fine. Just dont go and do that, then expect us to honor you also.

Dude, I think you arguing with a guy that basically has the same opinion as you do.

JimNasium
09-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Why? You really want his nine seasons with the Saints to disappear just because he played here for four seasons?