PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs promote Printers to active roster

The Poz
09-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Sorry if this is a re-post, couldn't find it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=177627&hubname=

Chiefs promote Printers to active roster

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (CP) - The Kansas City Chiefs have promoted former CFL star Casey Printers from the practice roster to the active roster.

Printers, the CFL's outstanding player in 2004 with the B.C. Lions, will be the Chiefs' No. 3 quarterback Sunday against the Denver Broncos. Printers replaced starter Trent Green on the roster. Green suffered a severe concussion in Kansas City's 23-10 loss last week to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Backup Damon Huard, a 10-year NFL veteran, will start for the Chiefs on Sunday against Denver. Rookie Brodie Croyle will back up Huard.

He may actually be our best option considering any QB we have behind that line will be on the run all day.

SPchief
09-15-2006, 10:03 PM
He may actually be our best option considering any QB we have behind that line will be on the run all day.

As with last week, and every other week. 3rd string quarterbacks CANNOT come into the game without the other two being injured first.

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 10:05 PM
As with last week, and every other week. 3rd string quarterbacks CANNOT come into the game without the other two being injured first.

They can if they are active

Easy 6
09-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Here's to hoping Printer's rot's on paycheck row, but i gotta tell ya' Poz, your avatar NEVER fail's to induce a giggle and maybe somethin' else......

SPchief
09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
They can if they are active

wrong

Mr. Laz
09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
that does not bode well for the health of trent green.

The Bad Guy
09-15-2006, 10:12 PM
wrong

Technically, he's not wrong.

But if Printers comes into the game, that means that Huard and Croyle can't.

keg in kc
that does not bode well for the health of trent green.Or says "oh man, our line looks just as bad in practice again this week. f*ck."

jidar
Printers is our best option if you want 30 yard sacks instead of 15 yard sacks

Mecca
09-15-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm not expecting to see Green till atleast November...

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 10:13 PM
wrong

Sure they can. Any player can play if they are active. It is not necessary to activate your third string QB if you only intend to play him as your emergency QB.

Mr. Laz
09-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Or says "oh man, our line looks just as bad in practice again this week. f*ck."
i wonder if Herm is planning on trying to break his record?

6 quarterbacks put on IR in the same year.

jsmax
09-15-2006, 10:15 PM
What does not bode well about this, is the piece that he replaces Trent Green on the active roster...Does not look good for Trent.

SPchief
09-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Sure they can. Any player can play if they are active. It is not necessary to activate your third string QB if you only intend to play him as your emergency QB.

heh, I was wrong, but so were you.

The emergency (third) quarterback may now enter the game in just the fourth quarter, regardless if the other two quarterbacks are able to play. This means that if the third string quarterback enters the game, the first and/or second quarterback may re-enter, unlike the past two seasons where the emergency quarterback would only play off the first two were unable to resume play.

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 10:18 PM
heh, I was wrong, but so were you.

The emergency (third) quarterback may now enter the game in just the fourth quarter, regardless if the other two quarterbacks are able to play. This means that if the third string quarterback enters the game, the first and/or second quarterback may re-enter, unlike the past two seasons where the emergency quarterback would only play off the first two were unable to resume play.

I'm not wrong.

That assumes that he is inactive and declared the emergency QB. If he is active he is just another player on the roster. He can play special teams, WR, QB whatever. See Slash, Matt Jones, Marcus Vick, etc...

StcChief
09-15-2006, 10:19 PM
So the 'Dee Brown' can play QB as 4th if needed....

Deberg_1990
09-15-2006, 10:21 PM
much adu about nothing. If a team ever gets down to its 3rd string QB, they've got issues. They are 3rd string for a reason. I pray we never see Printers line up behind center this year.

morphius
09-15-2006, 10:21 PM
There is a differnce between being moved from the playing squad and the active roster, and the active versus inactive game day roster.

Here they are obviously talking about the first one. That being said, if your 3rd QB is active on game day you can bring him in at any time, if you put him down as inactive/emergency QB then he can only come in if the first 2 QB's are lost and can't come back in the game.

Mr. Laz
09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
much adu about nothing. If a team ever gets down to its 3rd string QB, they've got issues. They are 3rd string for a reason. I pray we never see Printers line up behind center this year.
it might be a big adu .......

if the promotion of printers means they expect Trent green to be gone so long that they need printers on the regular roster.

this is about Green ... not printers

remember Printers has to go back through waivers to be moved back to the practice squad when Green comes back. Kinda makes you think that Green is going to be gone long enough to warrant such a move.

hope not *cross fingers*

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
There is a differnce between being moved from the playing squad and the active roster, and the active versus inactive game day roster.

Here they are obviously talking about the first one. That being said, if your 3rd QB is active on game day you can bring him in at any time, if you put him down as inactive/emergency QB then he can only come in if the first 2 QB's are lost and can't come back in the game.

Thanks for the confirmation of my argument.

I win! I win! nanny nanny boo boo! rochambeau

jsmax
09-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Understand, but you can only have 53 players on the active roster, and I believe they already have 53. So for Printers to be moved to the active roster, someone else has to be moved off. That is what worry's me, it says he replaces Trent on the roster, so is Trent going to IR?

Deberg_1990
09-15-2006, 10:30 PM
it might be a big adu .......

if the promotion of printers means they expect Trent green to be gone so long that they need printers on the regular roster.

this is about Green ... not printers

remember Printers has to go back through waivers to be moved back to the practice squad when Green comes back. Kinda makes you think that Green is going to be gone long enough to warrant such a move.

hope not *cross fingers*

True, yea i have a feeling Green will be gone until Mid Oct at least.

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Understand, but you can only have 53 players on the active roster, and I believe they already have 53. So for Printers to be moved to the active roster, someone else has to be moved off. That is what worry's me, it says he replaces Trent on the roster, so is Trent going to IR?

That is the importnat piece that is missing from this story.

The Poz
09-15-2006, 10:42 PM
We have to at least hope that Sampson (who is starting over Black this week) can offer some sound protection for Huard. He can't be any worse.
What also scares me is what most of you are saying about Trent and how much time he may miss. If Herm stated at 2:00pm that they are going with 2 QB's, then a few hours later announce the Printers move, what what did they hear during that time?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-15-2006, 10:45 PM
It's typical NFL coach double speak. He's saying they are going with two just in case they want to run a couple of gimmicky plays with Printers that the Broncos can't gameplan or anticipate.

Logical
09-15-2006, 10:46 PM
wrongNope, if they are part of your designate 45 then they can play any time a coach wants. I think you are thinking of the rule where they are not part of the 45, then they can be brought in but neither the first or 2nd string can be brought back in if they are played.

PastorMikH
09-15-2006, 11:46 PM
What does not bode well about this, is the piece that he replaces Trent Green on the active roster...Does not look good for Trent.

Actually, it's no problem at all if Trent is ready to come back the week after the bye to move Printers off.

With the way our O-Line has been, I'd prefer to have a 3rd QB back there, even if it is Printers, as opposed to Dee Brown. The way Huard was getting knocked around last week, it wouldn't have been surprising if our #3 had to play.

One thing about Printers though, he's had the most practice this year with having the DE's hitting him the same time the ball gets to him from the Center.

jAZ
09-15-2006, 11:51 PM
I guess I was wrong to suggest that Printers was a fool to pass on a chance to earn a half-million in Canada to play on our practice squad. I'm guessing he's going to earn much closer to that 500K while getting a chance to play (well, hopefully just practice) in the NFL.

rad
09-16-2006, 03:57 AM
So who got released to make room for Gardner and Printers?

HemiEd
09-16-2006, 05:39 AM
One thing about Printers though, he's had the most practice this year with having the DE's hitting him the same time the ball gets to him from the Center.

This truth does hurt.

Toto
09-16-2006, 06:40 AM
So who got released to make room for Gardner and Printers?
#81 Chris Hannon got cut and moved to the PS for Gardner who is now #85. http://www.kcchiefs.com/players/

But there has been no mention of the Printers deal yet on KC Chiefs.com so I'm wondering the same thing??? Seems like we have a lot of RBs since we only played LJ in game 1???

Eleazar
09-16-2006, 06:49 AM
If you have tears, prepare to shed them now.

wazu
09-16-2006, 06:59 AM
If you have tears, prepare to shed them now.

I'll wait to shed my tears until the Chiefs throw the season away with Huard rather than develop Croyle for the future. (I'm giving them a pass on the Denver game. Starting him there would be a little harsh.)

Rausch
09-16-2006, 08:03 AM
I'll wait to shed my tears until the Chiefs throw the season away with Huard rather than develop Croyle for the future. (I'm giving them a pass on the Denver game. Starting him there would be a little harsh.)

And a horrible performance there gives Herm good reason to bench him, as well as two weeks to prepare the rook for a home start...

CupidStunt
09-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Conceding a season after two weeks is something realistic fans can do, but I'm not sure even the smartest coaches can.

unlurking
09-16-2006, 09:21 AM
And a horrible performance there gives Herm good reason to bench him, as well as two weeks to prepare the rook for a home start...
Good point.

Mr. Laz
09-16-2006, 11:12 AM
do we really want Green or Croyle starting at quarterback BEFORE our offensive line gets settled?

let huard and printers get killed instead

1ChiefsDan
09-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Where is the "official" report? I don't see anything on the Chiefs website, nothing on local KC websites. Found something on a Canadian website about it - but they think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can't find a single depth chart with him on the active roster and no mention of who was released and/or sent to the practice squad in his place.

Eleazar
09-17-2006, 08:56 AM
do we really want Green or Croyle starting at quarterback BEFORE our offensive line gets settled?

let huard and printers get killed instead

Absolutely.

I don't think this says anything about Green's health; I doubted we would go into a game with only two QBs.

Hopefully we don't have to actually use him.

Ultra Peanut
09-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Honestly, I'd rather see Printers at #2 than Croyle. I want to see him play for us in the future rather than die on the field in 2006.

Chieftain58
09-17-2006, 10:12 AM
I agree the QB behind our O-line is gonna get killed.