PDA

View Full Version : Time for LJ to Put Up.....

jspchief
09-16-2006, 05:48 AM
A lot of us Chiefs fans have already determined that Larry Johnson is going to be a special player in this league. Well, this Sunday is his chance to seperate himself.

With our starting QB out, and obvious pass protection problems, we need to lean heavily on our running game. The Broncos know this as well. But if LJ is truly as special as many of us seem to believe, he needs to step up to the plate and put the team on his shoulders. The great RBs of the NFL can still get it done in this situation. Even when the opponent stacks the box.

IMO this game needs to be Johnson's first step in proving that he is truly a great back, rather than a good back that had the luxury of running behind a great O-line.

We're playing a hated division rival on the road, and we need someone to step up to the plate. Are you up to the task Larry?

Logical
09-16-2006, 05:52 AM
Sorry but that is not fair to LJ, a great running back has to have a great line to lift a team on his shoulders, right now that just is not the case.

jspchief
09-16-2006, 05:58 AM
Sorry but that is not fair to LJ, a great running back has to have a great line to lift a team on his shoulders, right now that just is not the case.I'm sorry, but LJ has two pro bowlers at guard and a center that probably should have made few. This line is still probably better than half the O-lines in the league. If the line is the excuse for a poor performance this year, then Larry Johnson is not the "special" back that many of thought he was going to be. He's just a good back that looked special behind a great line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he has to have a big game against Denver or he's a bust. I'm just saying that this team needs a lift from someone, and this is a good opportunity for him to really show what he's made of.

Logical
09-16-2006, 06:04 AM
I'm sorry, but LJ has two pro bowlers at guard and a center that probably should have made few. This line is still probably better than half the O-lines in the league. If the line is the excuse for a poor performance this year, then Larry Johnson is not the "special" back that many of thought he was going to be. He's just a good back that looked special behind a great line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he has to have a big game against Denver or he's a bust. I'm just saying that this team needs a lift from someone, and this is a good opportunity for him to really show what he's made of.

I do agree this is an opportunity for him to demonstrate he is really something special, on that we agree. Overcoming extreme adversity is something the LTs and Walter Payton's of the league do and did in the past.

CupidStunt
09-16-2006, 06:04 AM
One thing he needs in order to do this is opportunity.

Him getting 60 yards sucks, but if he does that on 15-18 carries, I can't fault him too much. If he does it on 25, then yeah, that's disappointing.

It's really going to be in the ypc for Johnson now. Starting with Denver, to average 4 or more would be a solid start (because Steven Jackson didn't do shit against that defense, minus one relatively flukey run).

CoMoChief
09-16-2006, 06:12 AM
Denver is going to make us win with Huard. They will line up with 8 in the box all game long and put the game in Huard's hands. With us not having a good defense to really stop any team thats worth a damn and the fact that we will be playing catch up most of the game will give a green light on Denver giving us pass protection problems. This defense is MUCH better than Cincy's. Add this with the fact we havent won in DEN in 6 seasons and the fact we play like a pee wee football team up there leads me to believe that we don't stand a chance this game. They are NOT gonna play like they did in STL.

Hoover
09-16-2006, 06:20 AM
I think our D will keep us in games this year, and especially this game.

If LJ can get 4 ypc, and we give him the rock 25 times, we have a chance. I also think this is a greach chance for Michael Bennett, we have two RBs and we should use them.

09-16-2006, 06:23 AM
why dont the Chiefs use more screen passes with Larry Johnson??

I mean..I would try getting him the ball anyway I could..if the chiefs are predictable(2 cracks in the line,throw on 3rd down)LJ will have a long day..if they come out passing to set up the run they have a very good chance of winning and LJ will have a big day..

it all depends on the offensive game plan..you have to put your best players in the best position to do well

CoMoChief
09-16-2006, 06:25 AM
I think our D will keep us in games this year, and especially this game.

If LJ can get 4 ypc, and we give him the rock 25 times, we have a chance. I also think this is a greach chance for Michael Bennett, we have two RBs and we should use them.

What makes you think our defense will keep us in games this season? Take off the homer glasses man, our defense still isnt good, it's better than it was, but still not at the point where we can count on them to stop any team thats worth a shit.

CupidStunt
09-16-2006, 06:27 AM
why dont the Chiefs use more screen passes with Larry Johnson??

I mean..I would try getting him the ball anyway I could..if the chiefs are predictable(2 cracks in the line,throw on 3rd down)LJ will have a long day..if they come out passing to set up the run they have a very good chance of winning and LJ will have a big day..

it all depends on the offensive game plan..you have to put your best players in the best position to do well

5 rec, 80 yards.

How much more do you give your running back?

09-16-2006, 06:28 AM
5 rec, 80 yards.

How much more do you give your running back?

too little, too late..most of that was when the Chiefs were already behind

Gaz
09-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Johnson cannot do it on his own. The idea that he can “step up to the plate and put the team on his shoulders” without blocking against a good Defense that will be stacking the line to stop the run is simply absurd.

Denver wants to put the game on Huard, just as the Chiefs want to put the game on Plummer. That is the best chance each team has to win the game. And remember that Denver has a better Defense than the Chiefs, so they should do an even better job of it than we can.

Johnson definitely has a role to play this Sunday. And it is an important one. But this “step up, Larry” nonsense displays a serious disconnect with reality.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure where people get this stuff.

mac58
09-16-2006, 07:05 AM
i completely agree with the thread starter I was thinking the same thing. . .I wasnt too impressed with LJ in game one. . .Barry sanders was truely a great back behind no line and no team. . .

JBucc
09-16-2006, 07:15 AM
I agree. LT did it for years with possibly the worst team in the league. That's why ESPN constantly sucks him off and calls him the best player in the NFL. But I'd rather have Sampson and Turley step up. That would help the team more in the long run.

milkman
09-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Johnson cannot do it on his own. The idea that he can “step up to the plate and put the team on his shoulders” without blocking against a good Defense that will be stacking the line to stop the run is simply absurd.

Denver wants to put the game on Huard, just as the Chiefs want to put the game on Plummer. That is the best chance each team has to win the game. And remember that Denver has a better Defense than the Chiefs, so they should do an even better job of it than we can.

Johnson definitely has a role to play this Sunday. And it is an important one. But this “step up, Larry” nonsense displays a serious disconnect with reality.

xoxo~
Gaz

Who exactly was blocking for LdTomlinson in his first couple of seasons.

The Chargers O-Line was horrible, and defenses stacked the box to stop him, and he still put up big numbers.

This O-Line is still solid up the middle, and LJ is a power runner with speed.

Solari needs to mix in some passes on first downs, but LJ does need to step up and put this team on his shoulders.

Brock
09-16-2006, 07:42 AM
LT didn't score a TD in denver until 2005. I hope LJ does better than that.

Wile_E_Coyote
09-16-2006, 07:42 AM
I seen to recall this godlike creature known as LT having a really bad game against the Eagles last season. Negative yards, I believe, with Brees at QB

edit: 7 yds on 17 carries

Bwana
09-16-2006, 08:18 AM
If he is going to crack 100 three things MUST happen for him to do this because Denver WILL have 8 in the box at the start of the game.

#1. This is the most important IMHO, Huard has to burn Denver with the pass. Until that happens, the donks will just leave 8 in the box and key on the run, no 100 for Johnson, game over.

#2. Dear Herm: in order for Johnson to gain 100+ yards, he must GET THE BALL!

#3. The line must be able to move some donks around and create some holes which didn't happen last week. The line also must be able to BLOCK the donks Defense and pick up the blitz, which WILL be coming hard.

runnercyclist
09-16-2006, 09:55 AM
"Huard hands off to Johnson, he runs left behind Dunn leading the way for a gain of 6 yards "

Rinse and repeat

JBucc
09-16-2006, 09:56 AM
for a gain of 6"

Rinse and repeatI don't think running for 6 inches over and over will get us very far:p

runnercyclist
09-16-2006, 10:01 AM
I don't think running for 6 inches over and over will get us very far:p

:rolleyes:

kcxiv
Just as long as Solari gives him the damn ball.

JBucc
:rolleyes:
:banghead: :cuss: :) :rolleyes: :deevee: :harumph:

StcChief
09-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Agree... LJ chance to prove he is/will be one of the elite RBs in the league. We have the Oline push more so the Lambs do with Jackson.

With him, Bennett, short passes to Gonzo, EK, Parker etc. Move the ball around.

Keep drives alive and control the ball.

Play good D.

We can get this one. in a low scoring game.
17-14. or 20-17.

2bikemike
09-16-2006, 11:15 AM
INHO the defense are the ones who gotta step up. No successful bootlegs, no big runs no big pass plays. How many times have we gone to Denver and had well over 100 yard rushing just to walk out with an L.

Yes LJ needs to move the chains for us but its gonna be tough with 8 in the box using this O-line. I hope LJ straps that Big Chip on his shoulder and flattens out some of those defenders. Make them lose their will.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Sorry but that is not fair to LJ, a great running back has to have a great line to lift a team on his shoulders, right now that just is not the case.

How do you explain the early years of Walter Payton then??

chief52
09-16-2006, 11:40 AM
LJ just needs to continue doing what he does. It is the rest that need to pick up the pace. Damn, what do you want the guy to do? Play D-Line as well?

LJ plays hard and plays well.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2006, 11:44 AM
INHO the defense are the ones who gotta step up. No successful bootlegs, no big runs no big pass plays. How many times have we gone to Denver and had well over 100 yard rushing just to walk out with an L.

Yes LJ needs to move the chains for us but its gonna be tough with 8 in the box using this O-line. I hope LJ straps that Big Chip on his shoulder and flattens out some of those defenders. Make them lose their will.

I agree. Yes, I think the D looked better last week and they were put in some bad positions by the lack of offensive firepower and turnovers. They still have issues though. They still break down at key times in the game. Like the 2 TD runs by Cinci last week. They need to learn to toughen up when it really matters. The one huge problem they have had for about 5 years now.

L.A. Chieffan
09-16-2006, 12:01 PM
EVERYONE knows that the way to stop us this week is to stop the run. ShannaRump Ranger is not stupid, ugly yes, but not stupid and he knows better than anyone that trent is out and Damon is a BACKUP.

Huard is gonna HAVE to be the one to surprise everyone. We cant force LJ into a 9 man box every play. Its not fair to him or us. Yeah hes a great RB, and hell probably still make some good runs, but unfortunalty were gonna have to live or die by good ol' Damon. On the road. In Denver. With no pass pro. Im excited

tk13
09-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Denver likes to put 8 and 9 guys in the box all the time anyway, this week should be no different. We need to run some screens and short passes or they are gonna blitz and tee off on us. You have to get their D back on their heels. Al did that to them in the 2nd game last year, and Whisenhunt for Pittsburgh did it in the AFC championship last year... once that happens you can dominate them. But if not, and we can't pick up the blitzes, we're going to have a long day.

B_Ambuehl
09-16-2006, 12:12 PM

what's really annoying is when you hear stuff like "Larry Johnson or Edgerrin James had an off year last year and has never been able to repeat his performnace of ___. He had an off year what's wrong with him?

I can already hear the media next year talking about this.

cdcox
09-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Denver likes to put 8 and 9 guys in the box all the time anyway, this week should be no different. We need to run some screens and short passes or they are gonna blitz and tee off on us. You have to get their D back on their heels. Al did that to them in the 2nd game last year, and Whisenhunt for Pittsburgh did it in the AFC championship last year... once that happens you can dominate them. But if not, and we can't pick up the blitzes, we're going to have a long day.

Denver loves to put everyone up at the LOS, then blitz or drop into coverage at the last second. We ran some of that same look last week. Hopefully, the scout team ran enough of it in practice this week that Huard won't be completely baffled by it.

RedThat
09-16-2006, 12:39 PM
#1. This is the most important IMHO, Huard has to burn Denver with the pass. Until that happens, the donks will just leave 8 in the box and key on the run, no 100 for Johnson, game over.

I was thinking, if Denver will stack up the line, place 8 in the box. That is the perfect time to use the play action pass to TG. But I'd still be very weary of that because of the pass protection breakdown last week. Unless we can place extra blockers in the box? Dunn? Wilson?

*We just try to get the ball into the hands of our best players, TG and EK.

jspchief
09-16-2006, 12:42 PM
They'll have Bailey on Gonzo about 40% of the time anyway. Shanahan has always put his best CB on Tony a lot.

RedThat
09-16-2006, 12:43 PM
I'd like to see some trickery by the Chiefs. Throw that defense off guard. Because they the Broncos know the main focus will be on stopping LJ, and make us beat them with Huard.

I'd like to see a flea flicker in the game?

Or maybe a HB option pass?

*One play the Chiefs could use, and they shoulda used more often in last weeks game was the draw. The draw was working, and we abandoned it. Id like to see some draws.

The main thing I would like to see, is our offense throwing their defense off guard.

RedThat
09-16-2006, 12:44 PM
They'll have Bailey on Gonzo about 40% of the time anyway. Shanahan has always put his best CB on Tony a lot.

Then that is a perfect time to go deep to EK. We'll try to beat their other CB.

jspchief
09-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Then that is a perfect time to go deep to EK. We'll try to beat their other CB.Look at Kennison's stats against Denver over the years. We always do that, and he always has good games.

RedThat
09-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Look at Kennison's stats against Denver over the years. We always do that, and he always has good games.

True. I know. I guess just stick with what works?

jspchief
09-16-2006, 12:58 PM
True. I know. I guess just stick with what works?Just a matter of if Huard has the patience/time to wait for our WR routes to develop. This offense seems to require a lot of time for the WRs to get open. Judging by Huard's play last week, he doesn't have the patience to wait for it. And judging by the line play last week, even if he did have the patience he may not have the time.

RedThat
09-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Just a matter of if Huard has the patience/time to wait for our WR routes to develop. This offense seems to require a lot of time for the WRs to get open. Judging by Huard's play last week, he doesn't have the patience to wait for it. And judging by the line play last week, even if he did have the patience he may not have the time.

He could we just gotta use some 2 tightend sets. Even if we can manage to sell them off on play action, that should give the tackles at least an extra second or 2 to pass protect. I think it's possible. We just gotta think 2 TE's. Play smart.

Even if he does get sacked. Just HOLD onto the ball.

Easy 6
09-16-2006, 01:08 PM
EK does alway's have solid game's against the donx. Must have a healthy chip on his shoulder bout' them sniffeler's. What you guy's are sayin' very well could play out..................

RedThat
09-16-2006, 01:21 PM
EK does alway's have solid game's against the donx. Must have a healthy chip on his shoulder bout' them sniffeler's. What you guy's are sayin' very well could play out..................

It could. But I think it's gonna take more. We have to find other ways to
pass with good protection and make things happen with Huard. Hate to say that, but I do believe and agree with some here, that the Broncos are gonna try to make us beat them with Huard.

If their defense is thinking LJ, LJ, LJ, we gotta do some other things like
reverse runs to Hall. Or, fake hand offs to LJ, and reverse EK or Hall around the corner. Do some screens to LJ, or even some quick slants to TG or EK. Flea Flickers? HB option pass? We gotta trick them man. Then that could possibly open up the passing game. Then when they think pass, quick draw to LJ. We have to be VERY unpredictable on offense.
Throw that defense off balance.

Of course, then there is the defense. Stop the run, and the bootleg. Watch for misdirections. pressure Plummer, if we do, good chance he'll turn the ball over.

Play very disciplined football. Especially in their house. Don't turn the ball over. No stupid penalties. And we have a chance.

The Dude Abides
09-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Yeah! Flea flickers! I like those. HB options are good to. Can Larry throw? Has anybody seen him do that ever?

Easy 6
09-16-2006, 02:31 PM
It is interesting wonder about what trickery we might bring to the table. Someone mentioned yesterday what Printer's activation could possibly mean, if anything other than stop-gap. Yet it would be hard for the donx to gameplan for any last minute skullduggery...........i alway's want to believe that anything's possible :hmmm:

2bikemike
09-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah! Flea flickers! I like those. HB options are good to. Can Larry throw? Has anybody seen him do that ever?

Dee is the 3rd string QB may have to throw him in there.

HemiEd
09-16-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree with jspchief and Milkman here, this would be a good time for him to show us that he is an elite back.

Please Larry! :(

chiefsfan1963
09-16-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry, but LJ has two pro bowlers at guard and a center that probably should have made few. This line is still probably better than half the O-lines in the league. If the line is the excuse for a poor performance this year, then Larry Johnson is not the "special" back that many of thought he was going to be. He's just a good back that looked special behind a great line.

this is a joke right? CP takes our OL for granted this offseason and we go from the best to one of the worst OL in less than a season and now you are trying to win your argument regarding LJ not being one of the best rb's in the league? you still lose. move on!

chiefsfan1963
09-16-2006, 02:59 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

:clap:

chiefsfan1963
09-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Who exactly was blocking for LdTomlinson in his first couple of seasons.

The Chargers O-Line was horrible, and defenses stacked the box to stop him, and he still put up big numbers.

This O-Line is still solid up the middle, and LJ is a power runner with speed.

Solari needs to mix in some passes on first downs, but LJ does need to step up and put this team on his shoulders.

You're right no longer have AS, we have 1st year OC! Thank you for making my point on my prior posts.

chiefsfan1963
09-16-2006, 03:04 PM

True True! IF our D can show up, I'm sure LJ will give us 100yds plus if he get 25 carries or more.

chiefsfan1963
09-16-2006, 03:04 PM
LJ just needs to continue doing what he does. It is the rest that need to pick up the pace. Damn, what do you want the guy to do? Play D-Line as well?

LJ plays hard and plays well.

chiefsfan1963
09-16-2006, 03:05 PM
EVERYONE knows that the way to stop us this week is to stop the run. ShannaRump Ranger is not stupid, ugly yes, but not stupid and he knows better than anyone that trent is out and Damon is a BACKUP.

Huard is gonna HAVE to be the one to surprise everyone. We cant force LJ into a 9 man box every play. Its not fair to him or us. Yeah hes a great RB, and hell probably still make some good runs, but unfortunalty were gonna have to live or die by good ol' Damon. On the road. In Denver. With no pass pro. Im excited

excellent point!

Mama Hip Rockets
09-16-2006, 03:46 PM
i am pretty sure this week is not going to make or break his career. i think people know that he is good already.

Inspector
09-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Shoot, LJ could have one of his "average" games, that'd be ok. The ones who really, really need to have a HUGE game are:

Huard
OL
Gonzales
Hali
Jared Allen
Heck, pretty much the entire D.

And a couple of big returns from Dante and solid kicking from Tynes.

Ok, I guess LJ can have a typical day and the rest of the team need to have the performance of their career.

It could happen.

Well, it could.

Demonpenz
09-16-2006, 04:30 PM
baby steps lj baby steps. First learn to block scott fujita.

milkman
09-16-2006, 05:04 PM
ChiefsFan1963, you have serious reading comprehension issues.

Get help.

KCTitus
09-16-2006, 05:19 PM
one player does not a team make...if the line is stuggling, you can hand the ball to LJ all day and 8-9 man fronts will stop him every time. The key offensive strategy is to slow the 8 man fronts and blitzes and give the ball to whomever is making the plays.

If that's LJ, so be it...as far as Im concerned LJ has proven his abilities, but he cannot do it alone.