PDA

View Full Version : Any vets (animal Drs) out there?

Frankie
09-16-2006, 03:53 PM
My brother was telling me about his cat that has mysteriously pretty much quit eating and has lost 3 lbs in short order (from 8 down to 5). He spent over $400 only to have the vet tell him all other signs were normal and tests (for Cancer, etc.) were negative. I mentioned possible depression and he said he also brought it up to the vet and was told that's a vastly unknown subject. Has anybody experienced this with his/her cat? He is very worried about the kitty.

L.A. Chieffan
09-16-2006, 03:56 PM
did all this start after the chiefs game on Sunday?

JBucc
09-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Um, I don't know anything about cat depression so, anti-freeze.

tommykat
09-16-2006, 03:57 PM
My brother was telling me about his cat that has mysteriously pretty much quit eating and has lost 3 lbs in short order (from 8 down to 5). He spent over $400 only to have the vet tell him all other signs were normal and tests (for Cancer, etc.) were negative. I mentioned possible depression and he said he also brought it up to the vet and was told that's a vastly unknown subject. Has anybody experienced this with his/her cat? He is very worried about the kitty.

Go online and look around......this happened to one of my cats. They did take of a tumor that was not cancerous.....however, after several times of this, yep it was cancer.

Another question....Any flea problems? They have been horrid this year!! Even with my Frontline I am battling? them nonstop. The kids are not eating much as they are in mucho distress with the itching.... Just a thought.

memyselfI
09-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I work in a Vet's office. I have learned that dogs live to eat and cats eat to live. Thus, when a cat stops eating something is SERIOUSLY wrong. A dog will not starve itself to death. A cat will.

I would ask for copies of the tests and take them to a different Vet for a second opinion. Or have the second Vet run a blood panel and have the Vet compare the two sets of tests.

More importantly than eating is making sure the cat stays hydrated. Thus if the cat is not eating or drinking for more than a couple of days they should be placed on IV to prevent dehydration. Dehydration can lead to renal disease and serious kidney failure that is irreversible and very expensive to treat.

A second opinion is crucial here. My daughter spent $1200 trying to save a cat. The cat had not eaten in days and was looking sick. The first Vet sent her home with antibiotics which didn't work and after another week she went for a second opinion at a different office. The cat had ingested carpet fibers and had a blockage. He died after emergency surgery. The entire episode cost her $1200 and a dead cat.

mike_b_284
09-16-2006, 04:40 PM
its just a cat :shrug:

Iowanian
09-16-2006, 04:41 PM
This doesn't sound like a problem that a single .22 slug and a trip to the animal shelter tomorrow wouldn't solve....alot cheaper.

Iowanian
09-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Absolutely INSANE.

My daughter spent $1200 trying to save a cat. The entire episode cost her $1200 and a dead cat.

New cat. $25

alnorth
09-16-2006, 04:50 PM
My daughter spent $1200 trying to save a cat.

Off topic, but for you cat and dog owners out there, here's something to think about. What if your pet gets sick, and the vet looks you square in the eye and says it will cost $1,200 to save him? Would you dig deep into the wallet and break out the credit card, or would you ask the vet to relieve the pain and let the animal die peacefully?

No moral judgements here, just seriously ask yourself, because vets are getting more expensive these days. If you know damned well that your a big softey and youd probably cough up the money, you may wanna think about buying pet insurance so that your not checking the couch cushions and eating PB&J when fluffy and fido get sick.

Eleazar
09-16-2006, 05:08 PM
New cat. $25

Cats are free.

How's the ol ticker doing, Frankie?

milkman
09-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Your brother hasn't had QockSlurper over recently, has he?

Skip Towne
09-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't know anything about cats. I'm a marine biologist.

milkman
09-16-2006, 05:22 PM
I don't know anything about cats. I'm a marine biologist.

I know that if you run over one in a bobtail truck, they become a part of the pavement.

stumppy
09-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Alright alright, I'll do it.

Tell him to try a saucer of antifreeze.

milkman
09-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Alright alright, I'll do it.

Tell him to try a saucer of antifreeze.

Been done already

Um, I don't know anything about cat depression so, anti-freeze.

Bwana
09-16-2006, 06:06 PM
:hmmm:

Iowanian
09-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Here's where blowfish writes an artical calling me filthy names.....

A year or so ago, I took my dog, who was basically shitting himself to death to the vet....they agave him shots for some parasite, some expensive food and said "it could be that his intestine is turning inside out, a trait of this breed...we may have to do explor...."

"Whoah Doc....I like my dog, he's a good dog, he bahaves well and I enjoy spending time with him....but the value of his life is $200, a dime over that, and we'll be going on one last walk together."

[/looks of shock and dismay]\

The bill that day was $175.

Animals are not people, and I'll never spend 1k on a dog's health care. Ever.

In this case, our Hero, Truman came around and now lives happily on a large farm where he is free to roam.

Off topic, but for you cat and dog owners out there, here's something to think about. What if your pet gets sick, and the vet looks you square in the eye and says it will cost $1,200 to save him? Would you dig deep into the wallet and break out the credit card, or would you ask the vet to relieve the pain and let the animal die peacefully?

booger
09-16-2006, 06:37 PM
a shot of lead probably wouldn't hurt

PastorMikH
09-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Wow! 17 posts about help with a cat and only 3 references to antifreeze. The Planet is really slipping, I am quite dissappointed.

:shake::shake:

Phobia
09-16-2006, 09:09 PM
If the cat has lost 3 pounds mysteriously and doesn't seem to eat, you may check around the house for the head.

http://www.tnfo.net/graphics/HeadlessLiz.jpg

Rausch
09-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Absolutely INSANE.

New cat. $25
ROFL

NJ Chief Fan
09-16-2006, 09:14 PM
anti freeze or brake fluid will do the trick

runnercyclist
09-16-2006, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=Cochise]Cats are free.QUOTE]

That is way too expensive,

ChiefaRoo
09-16-2006, 09:19 PM
This doesn't sound like a problem that a single .22 slug and a trip to the animal shelter tomorrow wouldn't solve....alot cheaper.

kepp
09-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Actually, I've seen two cats go through similar symtoms. The final diagnosis in both cases was leukemia. Not much you can do in that instance. Sorry.

memyselfI
09-17-2006, 07:49 AM

No moral judgements here, just seriously ask yourself, because vets are getting more expensive these days. If you know damned well that your a big softey and youd probably cough up the money, you may wanna think about buying pet insurance so that your not checking the couch cushions and eating PB&J when fluffy and fido get sick.

Vets, like everything else, are more expensive these days and will continue to get moreso as technology advances and treatments that were once exclusively applied to humans are now applied to their pets.

It is really a personal decision about the morality of spending $ to keep your pet alive. I've seen 'poor' people try to scape up hundreds of dollars to keep their pets going while someone driving a Mercedes complains about the rising costs of preventative vaccinations and exams.

I will say I see more people finding a way to spend the money to save their pets than I anticipated seeing when I first took the job. I've actually seen people want to keep spending the money to try to save their pet when it was really quite hopeless and the Vet finally has to say 'it's time.' Of course, those same folks might walk out and get a second opinion and start the process over some place else.

4th and Long
09-17-2006, 08:10 AM
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5125/catguncy0.jpg

bishop_74
09-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Something is obviosly wrong wiht the cat. I would definately take it to another vet that has the knowledge and cares enough to find out what the problem is. It could be a host of other things such as intestinal blockage. MY wife works for a place that is pretty thorough and it costs, but they are known for being one of the best in the city. It all depends on how much you want to spend really, but my thought is if you can't afford an animal... don't have one.

dtebbe
09-17-2006, 08:54 AM

My mom's cat used to do this everytime she came down to visit us and left the cat alone, with just a friend coming by to feed/water it every day. She then started putting it in boarding with her vet, and didn't have any problem after that. I guess just the stimulation of being in a new place was enough to keep the cat from getting board.

DT

Skip Towne
09-17-2006, 09:02 AM
My mom's cat used to do this everytime she came down to visit us and left the cat alone, with just a friend coming by to feed/water it every day. She then started putting it in boarding with her vet, and didn't have any problem after that. I guess just the stimulation of being in a new place was enough to keep the cat from getting board.

DT
Nothing worse than a board cat.

Frankie
09-17-2006, 12:13 PM
How's the ol ticker doing, Frankie?
Well enough, considering the type of HA that it was. Thanks for asking. I'm through with my cardiac rehab. Pending a visit to my cardiologist he might decide to put my own personal defibrilator in. :( I hope I won't need one.

Sully
09-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Off topic, but for you cat and dog owners out there, here's something to think about. What if your pet gets sick, and the vet looks you square in the eye and says it will cost $1,200 to save him? Would you dig deep into the wallet and break out the credit card?

Yes