PDA

View Full Version : Herm and Solari are having the same problems as Saunders and DV

donkhater
09-18-2006, 07:33 AM
A lot of griping here and in the press about Herm's clock management and Solari's play calling, but doesn't anyone remember that DV and Saunders had the same problems? It's just that the defense was so bad that those problems were thought to be excusable. I mean, the offense WAS putting up 30 points a game, so if they make a few mistakes on offense, they are still pulling their weight.

How many times after a game, did we gripe about Saunders play calling, getting too cute or passing to much near the goal line? How many times did that cost KC a game? A number of times that I can remember. Vermiel, with his head-scratching use of timeouts, certainly was no maestro at game managment.

Herm and Solari get a lot of credit. They had the right game plan going into Denver. A few different play calls, and a better understanding of the clock and the game would've been a lot different. I know the defense got a lot of abuse in the last five years (and deservingly so), but it seems like we were saying those same things after a KC loss an awful lot then, too.

Top Players (some may have played better, but these guys stood out as playing better than I thought they would):

--Larry Johnson-Denver could have guessed correctly 2 out of 3 times that LJ would get the ball and he still put up 167 total yards. The fumble was just bad luck.
--Derrick Johnson-DAMN. Defensive player of the week if would've picked off that Plummer throw near the goal line.
--Lenny Walls-looking solid as a nickel DB.
--Jared Allen-Seemed like he got doubled a bit, but still had a good game
--Colquitt-2 coffin corner kicks that should have made a bigger difference than they did.

Disappointments--

--Gonzo-did he play? He should have had 6-7 catches.
--Dee Brown-Your butt is on this team for special teams. The block probably wasn't even needed. Because it's a spot foul, it ended up being about a 30 yard penalty in a FG game.
--Kendrell Bell-you could see that fade to the TE coming a mile away. Thank God Denver had Plummer at QB. That could've been the game right there.

Micheal Bennett looked good and everyone else played like I thought they would (with the exception of the defense as a whole). I'm actually a little encouraged. I expected a 30 point blowout and the game goes into overtime.

htismaqe
09-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Gonzo had 2 catches for the same reason he struggled last season - he was being used to block.

donkhater
09-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Gonzo had 2 catches for the same reason he struggled last season - he was being used to block.
Well,if that's the case, it wasn't his fault. But can you think of the last time he had a decent game vs. Denver? I can't either. If there is one player that Huard and Solari should look to feed in the passing game, it should be Tony. If he's being used to block, then that's on Solari as well. If you can't block the rushers, get your 'secret weapon' in there, max protect and throw it to your big All-Pro target.

HC_Chief
09-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Good take on Kendrell Bell. He flat out stinks.

Dungver ran RIGHT AT HIM at least ten times. On all but one of those rushes, they ran RIGHT BY HIM.

keg in kc
09-18-2006, 09:33 AM
A few different play calls, and a better understanding of the clock and the game would've been a lot different. I'd agree with you if you add in one more thing: better execution at key times of the game. I think we talk too much about what specific plays are called. Sometimes the other team will guess right. Good offensive teams execute despite that. We didn't, at least not in the second half. Some of that has to go on the players' heads.

Calcountry
09-18-2006, 10:29 AM
I'd agree with you if you add in one more thing: better execution at key times of the game. I think we talk too much about what specific plays are called. Sometimes the other team will guess right. Good offensive teams execute despite that. We didn't, at least not in the second half. Some of that has to go on the players' heads.Closing the deal. That is the only thing the Chiefs didn't do yesterday.

They definitely out game planned, and for the most part out executed the Donko's in their house yesterday.

It was kind of nice hearing them boo their own team at times, and most of the rest of the time, silent.

B_Ambuehl
09-18-2006, 10:37 AM
How many times after a game, did we gripe about Saunders play calling, getting too cute or passing to much near the goal line? How many times did that cost KC a game? A number of times that I can remember. Vermiel, with his head-scratching use of timeouts, certainly was no maestro at game managment.

Tha'ts mostly people who didn't realize what a gift it was to have an offense that generates 28 points and 400 yards per game. They wanted to bitch and nitpick about various minutia instead of looking at the big picture.

donkhater
09-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Tha'ts mostly people who didn't realize what a gift it was to have an offense that generates 28 points and 400 yards per game. They wanted to bitch and nitpick about various minutia instead of looking at the big picture.
That's not true at all. Who can forget the Houston home opener in 2004 or Seattle in 2002? Both those games were decided relatively early on by the insane playcalling of Al Saunders. You could pick out many more, but those are the two I'm sure everyone will remember.

CupidStunt
09-18-2006, 10:46 AM
No Willie Roaf. That's the shared problem.

donkhater
09-18-2006, 10:47 AM
No Willie Roaf. That's the shared problem.
Roaf played in both those games I mentioned. It was dumb playcalling.