09-18-2006, 11:09 AM
There you go, htismaqe.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2006, 11:10 AM
What the hell is a bloody NSV?

CupidStunt
09-18-2006, 11:11 AM
What the hell is a bloody NSV?

Pretty sure it's a recorded live stream.

Quality will not be great; hense the file size.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2006, 11:12 AM
How do I convert to AVI?

CupidStunt
09-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Dunno. Definitely possible, i've done it before. Still doesn't do much for the quality iirc.

It'll be 600x400 type dimensions at just-about-watchable quality.

CupidStunt
09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm only bothering because it's a small file and there won't be a decent copy for a short while.

ChiefFan31
09-19-2006, 01:10 AM
well, i have downloaded and am seeding. Sure would be nice to be able to watch this NSV file.

Not even the VLC player would play it. It played audio, which at the start is Joe Buck and Troy Aikman announcing a diff game??

Ohhh, is it the Giants Eagles OT or something??

I havent the slightest on how to convert this file :shrug:

ChiefFan31
09-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Be my guest if anyone wants to go through all of this. Me say no thanks...

Introduction
The following describes one method of converting a Nullsoft video file (NSV) to something more "standard", such as the AVI or MPEG format. The method described is not guaranteed to work, as it is merely the result of my experimentation and a plethora of different sources (i.e. "trial and error"). In any event, I recommend backing up your file(s) before messing around with them.

NOTE!
Use the information in this article entirely at own risk! I am not responsible for any damages whatsoever.
Video files may be copyrighted, and should not be converted or ripped without the permission of the copyright holder.

Requirements

NSV-file to convert
You could use a program like "Streamripper" for WinAmp (please be aware of possible copyright issues)
... or "Streamsave"
WinAmp 5 (Get the latest version, freeware)
NSV Demuxer (to demux the NSV; free download)
The appropriate codecs/decoders
For video, you might need to download and install VP6 (get it free here)
AVI-Mux GUI (freeware)
A video player (I recommend Media Player Classic, a great freeware multimedia player)
A program to re-encode the AVI file
E.g. TMPGenc 2.524
Note: You should unzip/install the above, before converting the NSV file.

The Procedure

1. Get a NSV (Nullsoft Video format) file. This file will be converted to the AVI or MPEG format.

2. Use "NSV Demuxer" to demux the file. Use the following syntax:

NSVD.exe -n test.nsv -a video.avi -w audio.ext

(If you wish, you may download this batch file (optional), which includes the above syntax. Make sure you name your NSV file "test.nsv", so as to make it correspond to the syntax. Make sure the batch file, NSV file and "NSVD.EXE" are in the same folder, and then double-click the batch file to run it)

3. Open AVI-Mux GUI. Drag and drop the video and audio files ("video.avi" and "audio.ext", created by the demuxer), into the AVI-Mux interface. Within AVI-Mux, select the AVI file, and click "generate data source from files". Then click save, and choose a name for your AVI-file. When the program has finished processing, close it.

4. Install the appropriate codec if it hasn't already been installed. You will probably need the VP6 codec. Now you can test your AVI using your video player (I recommend using Media Player Classic). The AVI file will still be encoded with the old codec (in this example, VP6). You would probably want to convert the AVI-file to perhaps MPEG or a DivX AVI. If so, proceed to to step 5.

5. Use some program to convert the AVI to a more common format, like MPEG2 or DivX

You could use TMPGEnc
Apparently VirtualDub cannot convert files encoded with the VP6 codec...
6. Done. Test your video file.

Final notes

In testing, I have experienced problems with getting the sound embedded correctly. Currently I don't know the "easy" solution to this problem. If you do, please tell me. Perhaps you could record the sound separately and then synchronize it with the video, using some third party program. The "audio.ext" file uses the encoding of the original NSV file (see NSV Demuxer documentation for examples).