PDA

View Full Version : Kearse out indefinitely with knee injury

Fire Me Boy!
09-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Kearse out indefinitely with knee injury

PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Jevon Kearse could be sidelined indefinitely with a "severe" knee injury the star defensive end sustained in Philadelphia's overtime loss to the Giants on Sunday.

Kearse, who had 2{ sacks in the game, was injured when his leg knocked against Mike Patterson while the two brought down Eli Manning on New York's first possession of the extra period. Kearse reached for his left knee immediately after the play, was helped off the field and carted to the locker room.

He had an MRI exam on Monday, and coach Andy Reid said the severity of the injury still was being evaluated.

"It's severe. I don't have a time or length," Reid said. "We'll have to see how bad it is exactly. I'll let you know later."

Guard Shawn Andrews strained his shoulder, cornerback Rod Hood left with a heel injury, tight end L.J. Smith sprained his shoulder and running back Brian Westbrook has swelling in his knee.

The injury to Kearse appears most serious.

Kearse is in his third season with the Eagles after signing a $66 million, eight-year contract in 2004. He had 7{ sacks in each of his first two seasons in Philadelphia after getting at least 9{ in four of his five years in Tennessee. He already had 3{ sacks in two games and seemed poised to have an outstanding season.

Kearse's injury should give former first-round pick Jerome McDougle an opportunity to play after he was inactive the first two games. Backup ends Trent Cole (four) and Juqua Thomas (two) have combined for six sacks while getting plenty of playing time in defensive coordinator Jim Johnson's eight-man line rotation.

The Eagles already have 13 sacks this season, including 12 from a revamped defensive line that had just 21{ of the team's 29 sacks last year.

A first-round pick by Tennessee in 1999, Kearse quickly established himself as one of the NFL's premier sack artists and earned the nickname: "The Freak."

Kearse had 36 sacks and went to the Pro Bowl in his first three seasons, twice earning All-Pro honors. But he had just 11{ sacks in his last two injury-plagued seasons with the Titans. He missed 12 games with a broken bone in his left foot in 2002, sprained the same foot the following year and missed nearly three games.

Kearse has missed three games with the Eagles, but two of those came in 2004 after Philadelphia had clinched first place in the conference and rested its regulars.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-18-2006, 01:56 PM
He's officially done for the year. Par for the course when the cart is involved. Great player, he just can't stay healthy.

Predarat
09-18-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm surprised he hasn't been hurt more during his time at Philly.

Halfcan
09-18-2006, 03:15 PM
he should retire