PDA

View Full Version : Pac-10 Suspends Officials(OU Game)

Archie F. Swin
09-18-2006, 04:24 PM
From AP

Pac-10 suspends officials for one game

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) - The Pacific-10 Conference suspended for one
game the officiating crew and the instant replay officials that
worked Saturday's Oklahoma-Oregon football game after finding
mistakes were made in calls near the end of the contest.
Pac-10 Commissioner Tom Hansen said Monday that a review by
conference officials of video of the game revealed that both the
instant replay officials and the game officials assigned by the
conference made errors in the final minute and 12 seconds of the
game.
Oklahoma lost the game 34-33 after Oregon scored two touchdowns
near the end of the game.

JBucc
09-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Awesome for the Pac-10. Now if only the NFL would act like they gave a shit about bad officiating.

DaFace
09-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Good for them, though it probably doesn't make OU fans feel much better.

Chieficus
09-18-2006, 04:53 PM
though it probably doesn't make OU fans feel much better.

No, not really.

Clearly Oklahoma's defense should have stopped them on their final drive... but the added momentum of recovering the on-sides didn't help things.

Like my dad said watching the game: "You can't play both the refs and the players and win."

Bugeater
09-18-2006, 05:02 PM
They should all be fired.

CHENZ A!
09-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Those guys F'd up big time, more than once.

chief52
09-18-2006, 05:12 PM
This article gives an explanation from the Pac 10 Directer of Officials. Missed the game, but heard it was really screwed up. Sucks when a game is affected by the officials.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2593564

Pac-10 suspends officials for errors that cost OklahomaESPN.com news services

NORMAN, Okla. -- The Pacific-10 Conference suspended for one game the officiating crew and the instant replay officials that worked Saturday's Oklahoma-Oregon football game after finding mistakes were made in calls near the end of the contest.

Pac-10 Commissioner Tom Hansen said Monday that a review by conference officials of video of the game revealed that both the instant replay officials and the game officials assigned by the conference made errors in the final minute and 12 seconds of the game.

AP Photo/Rick Bowmer
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops argues with a referee following Oregon's onside kick in the fourth quarter on Saturday.

Oklahoma lost the game 34-33 after Oregon scored two touchdowns near the end of the game.

An onside kick by Oregon after its first late touchdown was touched by a Ducks player before it traveled the required 10 yards, and the Pac-10 ruled that the ball should have been awarded to Oklahoma. The league also said that video revealed that an Oklahoma player actually recovered the ball.

Officials on the field gave the ball to Oregon, and replay officials did not overturn that decision.

During a subsequent play, pass interference was called on Oklahoma, setting up the winning score. The Sooners argued that the ball had been tipped at the line of scrimmage, thereby nullifying the pass interference call.

Replay officials did not see indisputable evidence to overturn the penalty.

"The fact that the errors on the onside kick altered the outcome of the game is most unfortunate and unsettling," Hansen said in a statement. "We had a solid veteran crew assigned, and the instant replay official had a fine career as a referee in the Pac-10. We believe in the ability and integrity of each individual involved. It should be noted that not all of the seven officials were directly involved in the play in question, but the entire crew bears responsibility for every play. Game officials and replay officials have positions of great responsibility and must be accountable for their actions.

"Errors clearly were made and not corrected, and for that we apologize to the University of Oklahoma, coach Bob Stoops and his players. They played an outstanding college football game, as did Oregon, and it is regrettable that the outcome of the contest was affected by the officiating."

He said that the officials will be closely monitored in the future, but Hansen acknowledged that they don't have an easy job.

"Officiating on the field is much more difficult than it appears from the stands, and certainly when watching repeated replays," Hansen said. "Plays occur at a high rate of speed. Decisions on the field must be made instantaneously. The training and experience of officials at this level enable them to work at a high degree of accuracy. Unfortunately, at the critical moment of this game errors were made."

Hansen said that officials are limited to the available television shots of the action, but "on the kickoff play ample views were available."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Adjust Font Size:

Joe Seahawk
09-18-2006, 05:14 PM
That was the 2nd worst screw job I've ever seen.. ;)

Chieficus
09-18-2006, 05:33 PM
The league also said that video revealed that an Oklahoma player actually recovered the ball.

I figured something was up when an OU player was down the field with the ball and the refs were still sorting out the pile... but this makes it even worse...

WilliamTheIrish
09-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Jesus Christ, is OU President David Boren a complete f'ing idiot?

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14895298/

=====================================================

University of Oklahoma president David Boren sent a letter Monday to Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg, saying the officiating problems was beyond an "outrageous injustice,'' and asking him to pursue having the game eliminated from the record books and having the officials involved in the game suspended for the remainder of the season.

Weiberg responded with a statement saying the result of the game would stand.

"There is no provision under NCAA or conference rules for a game result to be reversed or changed as a result of officiating errors, nor do I believe there should be,'' he said.

Boren also asked for a Pac-10 apology and called for the conference to change its policy that requires only Pac-10 officials be used for nonconference home games.'
======================================================

Skip Towne
09-18-2006, 05:36 PM
I just heard on the news that OU is asking for that crew to be suspended for the rest of the season. And that the game doesn't count in the won/loss column.

DaFace
09-18-2006, 05:39 PM
I just heard on the news that OU is asking for that crew to be suspended for the rest of the season. And that the game doesn't count in the won/loss column.

The officials should be watched, but not fired. There is the possibility that it really was an honest mistake. :shrug:

I'd agree with the elimination of the game from the record books, but I can't imagine them actually doing it.

Bugeater
09-18-2006, 05:41 PM
I don't disagree with the former, but the latter is laughable.

Bugeater
09-18-2006, 05:43 PM
The officials should be watched, but not fired. There is the possibility that it really was an honest mistake. :shrug:

I'd agree with the elimination of the game from the record books, but I can't imagine them actually doing it.
Without the benefit of replay, I'd agree. But the fact that they botched it so badly WITH replay just shows gross incompetence.

chief52
09-18-2006, 05:49 PM

Yes, I definitely believe it was an honest mistake. I have never believed in the theory that officials were favoring one team or the other. It does not happen IMO. There are some bad officials and bad calls, but officials that intentionally call the game one way or another? I do not believe it happens in high school or above. I really do not.

Some people actually think that the officials have it against the Chiefs. I find that laughable.

beer bacon
09-18-2006, 06:01 PM
No, not really.

Clearly Oklahoma's defense should have stopped them on their final drive... but the added momentum of recovering the on-sides didn't help things.

Like my dad said watching the game: "You can't play both the refs and the players and win."

Oregon illegally touched the ball on the onside kick, an Oklahoma player still recovered it, and then a PI penalty was called on an OU player on a play where the ball was tipped by a defender. I don't really see what Oklahoma was supposed to do in that situation.

Saulbadguy
09-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Agreed.

beer bacon
09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Yes, I definitely believe it was an honest mistake. I have never believed in the theory that officials were favoring one team or the other. It does not happen IMO. There are some bad officials and bad calls, but officials that intentionally call the game one way or another? I do not believe it happens in high school or above. I really do not.

Some people actually think that the officials have it against the Chiefs. I find that laughable.

I don't believe it was honest at all. Either the officials intentionally made those calls to give Oregon the advantage or the officials are actually just a bunch of apes in zebra suits. Three horrible calls in a row just happen to put Oregon in perfect position to take the game.

Chieficus
09-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Oregon illegally touched the ball on the onside kick, an Oklahoma player still recovered it, and then n PI penalty was called on an OU player after after the ball was tipped by a defender. I don't really see what Oklahoma was supposed to do in that situation.

Um, not allow them to score a touchdown...

That was one thing the refs didn't do for Oregon.

I'm an OU alum/fan, I think we got a royal screw job from the officials, and it certainly played a big part in giving Oregon momentum and the win... but I was also quite disgusted with the defense on the final two drives.

If the refs would have got it right, it would have changed the game. If the defense would have done their job, it also would have changed the game.

beer bacon
09-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Um, not allow them to score a touchdown...

That was one thing the refs didn't do for Oregon.

I'm an OU alum/fan, I think we got a royal screw job from the officials, and it certainly played a big part in giving Oregon momentum and the win... but I was also quite disgusted with the defense on the final two drives.

If the refs would have got it right, it would have changed the game. If the defense would have done their job, it also would have changed the game.

If the defense would have done things like tip passes at the LoS Oklahoma could have won. Hell, if the special teams could have just recovered the onside kick they could have won!

Also, if OK wouldn't have gotten a stupid PI call that gave Oregon lots of free yardage they would have had a good chance at preventing the touchdown.

runnercyclist
09-18-2006, 06:10 PM
That was the 2nd worst screw job I've ever seen.. ;)

Was the first Walker's push off sunday?

chief52
09-18-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't believe it was honest at all. Either the officials intentionally made those calls to give Oregon the advantage or the officials are actually just a bunch of apes in zebra suits. Three horrible calls in a row just happen to put Oregon in perfect position to take the game.

So the officials intentionally ruled for Oregon in your opinion? What would be the benefit to them for ruling for or against one team or the other? Those officials could care less who wins.

Chieficus
09-18-2006, 06:15 PM
If the defense would have done things like tip passes at the LoS Oklahoma could have won. Hell, if the special teams could have just recovered the onside kick they could have won!

And if Hartley would have done a better job at getting his kick up, they could have won...

I'm always a bit torn when it comes to the "blame it on the refs" argument. In games like this where the refs were a factor, something needs to be done (as there has been--if not more) to try and quell a repeat event in the future.

In games like this, however, the refs are never the only factor.

beer bacon
09-18-2006, 06:18 PM
And if Hartley would have done a better job at getting his kick up, they could have won...

I'm always a bit torn when it comes to the "blame it on the refs" argument. In games like this where the refs were a factor, something needs to be done (as there has been--if not more) to try and quell a repeat event in the future.

In games like this, however, the refs are never the only factor.

As a Mizzou fan that has no love for your school, Oklahoma had that game in the bag until the fix kicked in. That onside kick was just a travesty.

Chieficus
09-18-2006, 06:22 PM
As a Mizzou fan that has no love for your school, Oklahoma had that game in the bag until the fix kicked in. That onside kick was just a travesty.

Oh, I agree...

But if the refs screw up/screw you up, you still gotta go out and do what you have to go out and do.

Aside from that, the D wasn't looking to high and mighty on the drive that led to the TD that led to the travesty.

I'm just saying there were plenty of other opportunities for my Sooners to coulda/shoulda find a way to win.

beer bacon
09-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Oh, I agree...

But if the refs screw up/screw you up, you still gotta go out and do what you have to go out and do.

Aside from that, the D wasn't looking to high and mighty on the drive that led to the TD that led to the travesty.

I'm just saying there were plenty of other opportunities for my Sooners to coulda/shoulda find a way to win.

That is fine, but I would say that what the officials pulled on Oklahoma at the end of the game was at the far far end of what any team should have to swallow. As a fan of your team you should always expect your team to have the grit to overcome anything.

I am just a fan of the game, and I was disgusted by the screwjob at the end of that game. They didn't even have the tact to try to spread out those calls to make it a bit more subtle. They just hammered the entire nation in the face with their bias and gave the game to the Ducks.

When was the last time the refs decided who had possession after an onside kick without actually bothering to see who had the ball?

DaFace
09-18-2006, 06:29 PM
This is a funny argument. You guys are on the opposite side of the debate that you should be, considering the teams you root for. Anyway, carry on...

chief52
09-18-2006, 06:30 PM
That is fine, but I would say that what the officials pulled on Oklahoma at the end of the game was at the far far end of what any team should have to swallow. As a fan of your team you should always expect your team to have the grit to overcome anything.

I am just a fan of the game, and I was disgusted by the screwjob at the end of that game. They didn't even have the tact to try to spread out those calls to make it a bit more subtle. They just hammered the entire nation in the face with their bias and gave the game to the Ducks.

When was the last time the refs decided who had possession after an onside kick without actually bothering to see who had the ball?

Oklahoma got totally screwed. There is no doubt about it. But "bias"? Does not happen IMO. They just flat blew it and Oklahoma has to pay for it. That sucks.

Chieficus
09-18-2006, 06:32 PM
This is a funny argument. You guys are on the opposite side of the debate that you should be, considering the teams you root for. Anyway, carry on...

I wouldn't call it so much opposite sides--we both agree that the refs were pathetic, especially in those final minutes.

I'm just going one step further and saying that my team should have played better, too.

Now I'll go, um, do some carrying oning...

Skip Towne
09-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Ater the tipped ball the ref announced there was no visible evidence of a tipped ball the announcer said " Yeah except the ball changed directions". Also, the Oregon QB admitted to his coach that it was tipped.

DaFace
09-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Oklahoma got totally screwed. There is no doubt about it. But "bias"? Does not happen IMO. They just flat blew it and Oklahoma has to pay for it. That sucks.

I tend to agree. I've never been a conspiracy theorist, and this one won't change that. If this were some pivitol game in the season, then there might be at least SOME level of motivation for a ref to favor one team over the other (i.e. the SuperBowl last year). If this had happened then, I might have a different opinion. As it was, though, this was the second game of the season, against a non-conference opponent. It was a stupid mistake, nothing more.

For the more common calls, such as penalties, I suspect that there is a low-level of unintentional bias that goes into the game (as I just mentioned in this post (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3427006&postcount=61). It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. When the refs think one team will play a more clean game, they are more forgiving than they would be for a team that has a history of playing dirty. It's not intentional, but I'd bet money that it happens on a low level.

DJJasonp
09-18-2006, 06:47 PM
I tend to agree. I've never been a conspiracy theorist, and this one won't change that. If this were some pivitol game in the season, then there might be at least SOME level of motivation for a ref to favor one team over the other (i.e. the SuperBowl last year). If this had happened then, I might have a different opinion. As it was, though, this was the second game of the season, against a non-conference opponent. It was a stupid mistake, nothing more.

For the more common calls, such as penalties, I suspect that there is a low-level of unintentional bias that goes into the game (as I just mentioned in this post (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3427006&postcount=61). It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. When the refs think one team will play a more clean game, they are more forgiving than they would be for a team that has a history of playing dirty. It's not intentional, but I'd bet money that it happens on a low level.

A friend of mine was telling me about an article he read about how much psychology comes into play with referees and how they officiate games - it's human nature that if one team's players bitch or get pissed at the ref, that subconsciously (or consciously) they're going to throw flags that favor the other team. I wish I could remember where the article was from...but interesting stuff.

Obviously, King Carl must have said some bad things about officials at some point in his career.....but that's a whole other story.

beer bacon
09-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Here is a video of the onside kick that Oregon recovered:

http://media.putfile.com/OU-vs-Oregon

chief52
09-18-2006, 07:16 PM

WOW...you can not see if it was touched, although it has been stated it most definitely was, but damn, how could they have given the recovery to Oregon??? They choked under pressure IMO.

DaFace
09-18-2006, 07:21 PM

I certainly won't argue that that may have been the poorest display of officiating I've ever seen. However, I still don't think it was rigged.

PastorMikH
09-18-2006, 09:31 PM

Why? The OU player was holding the ball right there trying to show the refs while they were searching the pile. OU had the ball, they recovered the kick. They had the lead and all they had to do was give the ball to Peterson a couple of times and the clock would have ran out.

Regardless of the teams playing, when officials mess it up that bad the game thrown out.

I still remember Colorado's national championship year back in the 80's to early 90's. They were behing at MU and in the last few minutes of the game, first down goal to go, the refs gave them 5 snaps to get accross the goal line. The game's outcome was determined by the refs mistake. Did it matter to MU? No, they stunk anyway. But it would have changed the entire national championship scenario that year if Colorado hadn't recorded a W they didn't earn.

PastorMikH
09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Jesus Christ, is OU President David Boren a complete idiot?

From what I understand after hearing the local news out of Oklahoma City, to protest the officiating, the proper procedure to contest was for OU to go to the Big 12 and then let the Big 12 go to the Pac 10 with a protest. That is why the OU President went to the Big 12 with it.

WilliamTheIrish
09-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Why? The OU player was holding the ball right there trying to show the refs while they were searching the pile. OU had the ball, they recovered the kick. They had the lead and all they had to do was give the ball to Peterson a couple of times and the clock would have ran out.

Regardless of the teams playing, when officials mess it up that bad the game thrown out.

I still remember Colorado's national championship year back in the 80's to early 90's. They were behing at MU and in the last few minutes of the game, first down goal to go, the refs gave them 5 snaps to get accross the goal line. The game's outcome was determined by the refs mistake. Did it matter to MU? No, they stunk anyway. But it would have changed the entire national championship scenario that year if Colorado hadn't recorded a W they didn't earn.

The game should be thrown out?

You have got to be kidding me. Are you David Boren in disguise?

Deberg_1990
09-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Now if only the NFL could suspend their officials for ****ups. Does anyone know if they are ever held accountable for their actions??

PastorMikH
09-18-2006, 09:50 PM

As much as I have been brought up to see Kansas schools as the enemy, if it had happened to them, I'd feel the same way.

Why should OU be given a loss for something the Refs blew several calls to create? Why should Oregon be given a speculated loss for the decisions the Refs made. It's tough any way you go, you definately can't get the schools together 2-3 days later and replay the last few minutes.

It's unfortunate that this stuff happens. It happens at all levels, but the higher the level, the less it should happen. Perhaps if the Leagues would start penalizing the refs for blatant mistakes, they would be a bit more careful. Also, I can SORTA see this as an excusable mistake if there were no replay. But it was SO clear on replay - especially the shot from the coaches booth that was looking straight down the OU recieving team's line that the ball was touched at 9 yards by the Oregan player - to miss the call after watching it on instant replay is more than a mistake, it does look like officials were trying to make a call to affect the outcome of the game (I am not saying they did, I am saying it definately appears that way).

My frustration here isn't as much with the OU loss as it is with the way officiating seems to be slanted at every level. Guy in our church is an avid Pittsburg fan. He told me after the SB game that it didn't really feel like they won with the way the refs called the game.

PastorMikH
09-18-2006, 09:59 PM
How about this Will, Oregon keeps the W, OU keeps the L, but the refs (on the field and in the booth) are forced to run a guantlet between two lines formed from the OU team?

:)

09-18-2006, 10:01 PM

Damn, how in the hell could they blow that?

Skip Towne
09-18-2006, 10:05 PM

This doesn't concern you also rans, Bozo.

Bugeater
09-18-2006, 10:36 PM

Because of this:

Unfortunately, bad calls are part of the game.

Bugeater
09-18-2006, 10:39 PM
How about this Will, Oregon keeps the W, OU keeps the L, but the refs (on the field and in the booth) are forced to run a guantlet between two lines formed from the OU team?

:)
I'm not against any form of punishment you can dream up for those incompetent morons.

boogblaster
09-19-2006, 12:16 AM
OU got the shaft..it should be consitered if they make a run for the championship..that would at least make-up for the incompetence....

Frosty
09-19-2006, 07:02 AM
I certainly won't argue that that may have been the poorest display of officiating I've ever seen. However, I still don't think it was rigged.

As someone who watches a lot of PAC-10 football, I have to agree. We have some of the worst refs in the entire league. I hope this is the first step to getting it fixed.

I wish the NFL had the nads to do something like this, instead of always making excuses for their refs.

chief52
09-19-2006, 07:06 AM
As someone who watches a lot of PAC-10 football, I have to agree. We have some of the worst refs in the entire league. I hope this is the first step to getting it fixed.

I wish the NFL had the nads to do something like this, instead of always making excuses for their refs.

Actually, the Pac 10 is considered to be one of the best officiated conferences. It is. The NFL takes lots of these officials. ( Insert your joke here. ) The Pac 10 and Big 10 used to have the most officials in the NFL. I do not have present data on this. You should see some of the officiating in the south...

Frosty
09-19-2006, 07:12 AM
Well, that definitely explains the officiating in the NFL.

chief52
09-19-2006, 07:14 AM
Well, that definitely explains the officiating in the NFL.
I follow and attend Pac 10 games as well. This Oregon call is atrocious! But overall they do an awesome job. The Pac 10 is a class league and so are its officials. One huge screw up does not change that.

Robo-Chachi
09-19-2006, 07:47 AM
First off I am an OU fan.

As crazy as it sounds for Boren to ask to have the game stricken, and as unlikely as it is to happen, I understand. This isn't the NFL where you can lose 5,6, even 7 games and still win the championship. You lose 1 game and your odds for playing for the championship at the very least take a huge hit, if not disappear altogether. Granted I don't think OU is national championship caliber this season, but that shouldn't be left for some incompetent PAC-10 officials to decide.

Saulbadguy
09-19-2006, 08:23 AM

OU has benefited from bad calls themselves, many many times. Hell, the last couple of OU-KSU basketball games have been won by OU because of blown calls.

WilliamTheIrish
09-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Regarding the onsides kick:

It is my understanding that the only thing reviewable was the illegal touch. The ball (although still live) was blown dead when the side referee ran in (thinking the ball had been recovered and the play was dead.)

So the real issue is the illegal touch. Which it was. But they blew that even on the video replay.

Listening to OU fans bellyache about it reminds of Cards fans some 21 years ago.

And we all know, that KC ain't giving that victory back.

Frosty
09-19-2006, 10:12 AM
I follow and attend Pac 10 games as well. This Oregon call is atrocious! But overall they do an awesome job. The Pac 10 is a class league and so are its officials. One huge screw up does not change that.

You must be a Cal, USC or UCLA fan if you think the refs are "awesome". :shake:

Spott
09-19-2006, 11:10 AM
I doubt that they will give this game back. I still think that CU should have given back that 5th down game back in 89. That was the biggest screw job I have ever seen. I don't care what the record books say, everyone knows that CU lost that game and their share of a national championship that year was a sham. CU finished that year with one loss(2 if you count the loss to MU) and a tie, while Georgia Tech finished undefeated(1 tie), yet they still somehow split the championship.

chiefqueen
09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Look at this way Zero U will lose to Texas; the tire track unis will lose to USC.

CASE CLOSED.

chief52
09-19-2006, 05:43 PM
You must be a Cal, USC or UCLA fan if you think the refs are "awesome". :shake:

Actually I am an Oregon State fan if you must know. You need to check out your college football. If you do not trust my knowledge, as you obviously do not, talk to some one else. The Pac-10 officials are very highly regarded throughout the nation. Period. Like I said earlier, this is where the NFL gets a large number of its officials.

I guess your implication is that the Pac-10 favors those three schools? What a f***ing crutch! Recruit like those teams are able to and you can compete. No it is not easy, but do not whine about your not being able to beat those teams is because of the officiating. What a loser's attitude.

Cal got a new coach and is recruiting great players. I thought that was the reason their record has improved. I guess it is actually that the Pac-10 officials decided to start favoring them to help them out. If you honestly believe that crap, why would you ever watch a Pac-10 game???

Frosty
09-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Geez, dude, calm down. I was just yanking your chain, based on your location.

I do think PAC-10 refs are sub-par, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I will admit I may still be a little bitter based on the continual bullshit calls the Beavers suffered when Erickson coached there. He brought his Miami rep with him and it seemed like every questionable call went the wrong way and they went out of their way to make up personal foul calls. I will admit that the players had bought into Erickson's attitude, so some of it was justified.

It's been better under Riley, but only marginally. The first game of the season this year, the refs couldn't spot the ball correctly for either team. It was almost comical. :shake: