PDA

View Full Version : Doggity Report: Week 2 vs. Donkos

gblowfish
09-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Mr. Doggity's Donko Game summary will be posted on my website tonight. You can check out my Chiefs page here:
http://www.georgeblowfish.com/chiefsmain.html

Here's an advanced copy of the Doggity Report, week 2:

THE DOGGITY CHIEFS REPORT v2.0
September 18, 2006
Week 1 – Chefs at Jackasses at “YOUR LOGO HERE” Field at Mile High
Caught it on the big TV downstairs, after church.

I have always said that there are no “good” losses in the NFL. You only have 16 chances and every one matters. Winning ugly beats losing pretty every time. I am not going to completely reverse myself, but I was impressed by this team in its loss, and I have far more hope right now than I did before 3:00 pm on Sunday.

First and foremost, I have to give Herm kudos for using basically the same game plan that put Ben Rothlisberger in the playoffs his rookie year. The coaching cannot be faulted. The execution was at times better than I expected, but there were just a handful of critical breakdowns. Larry
Johnson’s fumble inside the 5 on the first drive – Gonzo’s dropped pass over the middle – Huard’s horrid clock management, especially at the end of the first half – and Huard tying to pad his stats by completing a pass to himself. Knock that sucker down, Damon – and live to kick the field goal. Of course, you have to wonder why they were doing a five-step drop pass play on first down in that situation. If the goal was to catch Denver’s defense napping – suffice to say, it didn’t. Take away even one of those, and we are talking today about perhaps the most remarkable victory in Chiefs history. If you had told me on Sunday morning that the Trent-Green-less Chiefs would go into Mile High and take the Despicable Donkeys to overtime, I would have laughed out loud.

Offense: This offense did not play well enough to win on the road. Big shock. Bigger shock – they ALMOST did. I love the 38-point, 500-yard “greatest show” as much as the next guy, but without Willie Roaf, this offensive line is not good enough to do that. What this offense does have is three very good blocking and receiving tight ends, and a superstar running back, and a solid #2. There is no reason they can’t play smash-mouth with anybody. When Green is healthy, they will have the threat to go vertical often enough to
keep opposing defenses honest, and keep the safeties from crowding the line. And I’m not as worried about Huard as I thought I would be. Of course, I could be all wrong, and maybe they only looked competent because Denver is actually that bad.

Defense: OK. I likey. Either Jake the Joke is actually a downgrade from Brian Griese, or these kids are starting to play pretty good football. Yes, they got tired and started sucking the thin mile-high wind by the end of the fourth quarter and into overtime. A lot of great players have had trouble adjusting to that atmosphere. But they were never out of this game. They were never intimidated by the nasty crowd. They contained Jake and shut down the Denver running game. Also, what’s with having to play teams where everyone has the same last name? Last week there were so many guys named Johnson, I thought for a minute we were playing in Rock Ridge, from Blazing Saddles. This week everybody was named Bell. Weird.

Specials: You know a game is dull when the punter is your MVP. Colquitt put on a Ray Guy-esque clinic for aspiring NFL punters. He bombed them when he needed to. He finessed them when he needed to. He put one on the one and one on the two, and nearly had another inside the five. Overall, a very solid performance by the special kids.

Back-by popular demand- the “dog and bone” (I caught some flack last week for omitting this segment. Apparently a favorite of my three fans).

The “Throw Him A Bone” award today goes to Dustin Colquitt. In a 9-6 ball game, field position is everything. The punter had an near perfect performance. This may be his only opportunity to get the game bone, so go bury it Dustin, before the other dogs find it.

The “Doggity Dogg” award winner is – sorry – Damon Huard. I know, I know. He’s the backup QB, and performed very well under the circumstances. Yes, he did. But he made just enough bone-head decisions to have cost them the game. In the NFL, you pay your backup to come in and win close games. He didn’t get it done.

The AFC West:
The Donkeys – Yes, they beat the wounded Chiefs in OT at home, but they’re still bad.
The Bolts – Marty has the class of the AFC. I put them ahead of the Colts and Pats.
The Criminals – Man its fun to watch the Raiders right now. They stink I mean really bad.
Next up: The one week we are guaranteed not to lose – the Bye Week. See you in a couple!

Snakey
09-19-2006, 08:55 AM
How amusing. Explain Herm's desicion to sit on the bal with almost two minutes leftl and kick off in OT again. He takes the wind not the ball?

KC Dan
09-19-2006, 09:01 AM
How amusing. Explain Herm's desicion to sit on the bal with almost two minutes leftl and kick off in OT again. He takes the wind not the ball?
Herm didn't get the choice for the ball in OT. The donks won the toss and chose the ball.

StcChief
09-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Herm didn't get the choice for the ball in OT. The donks won the toss and chose the ball.
We damn near picked to have the wind at their back too...... :rolleyes: