PDA

View Full Version : Surprise....Rand thinks OT rules need to be fixed

shaneo69
09-19-2006, 11:01 AM
RAND: NFL's overtime easy to fix
Sep 19, 2006, 4:43:19 AM by Jonathan Rand

Here’s the solution to the NFL’s problem of giving an unfair advantage to the team that wins the toss in overtime:

Play a mini-quarter, a 71/2-minute period, and if the score’s still tied, go to sudden death. If the score’s still tied after another 71/2-minutes, call it a tie, just as the NFL does now.

When the Chiefs and Broncos ended regulation tied 6-6, the only real suspense left was the coin toss. As the CBS announcers pointed out, since overtime rules were installed in 1974, the team receiving in overtime scored on its first possession 28.6 percent of the time. It’s a fair guess the edge is greater when the home team wins the toss.

In 391 overtime games since 1974 and prior to this season, the team winning the toss has won 52.7 percent of the time. The team losing the toss has won 43.2 percent of the time and the rest of the games have been ties. That’s not an outrageous edge for the team winning the toss, but it’s enough of an edge that the rules beg for tweaking.

In any overtime, the winner should be asked to achieve the same things it tried to do in regulation. In other words, you shouldn’t switch to an entirely different game.

In college football, teams play a traditional game for 60 minutes but if the score’s tied, they settle the issue by playing Arena football.

It’s not a bad idea to guarantee both teams a possession in NFL overtime. But they should have the pressure of the clock, just like in the rest of the game. The Broncos chewed up five minutes, 10 seconds before Jason Elam’s 39-yard field goal gave them a 9-6 victory. Were they playing half a quarter, the Chiefs would’ve had two minutes, 40 seconds to tie or win.

Granted, the Chiefs’ offense wouldn’t have had as much time as the Broncos. And an offense could control the ball for the entire 71/2 minutes of overtime. But a defense that can’t get an opposing offense off the field in that time doesn’t deserve to win, anyway.

The NFL’s sudden-death rules made much more sense before kickers became so accurate and kicking surfaces became so favorable. Nearly 70 precent of the overtime games are decided by field goals. A few decades ago, a 39-yard field goal was a challenge, especially late in the season when a field might resemble a rock pile. For Elam, a 39-yard kick is almost a gimme.

Also, where’s the drama in overtime when a team reaches field goal range and just runs off tackle to give the kicker a favorable spot? If the offense knew the other team would get the ball back, it would be forced to stay aggressive and go for the end zone.

It was interesting that announcers Phil Simms and Jim Nantz got into a lively debate over the merits of the overtime system during the Chiefs’ game. If sudden-death overtime really carried its intended suspense, the issue wouldn’t have even crossed their minds.

The thrill of overtime just isn’t what it was when Alan Ameche’s plunge gave the Baltimore Colts their historic victory over the New York Giants in the 1958 NFL championship game. The NFL’s current overtime is becoming obsolete and only marginally more dramatic than a tie. And a lot less fair.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of Carl Peterson.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/09/19/rand_nfls_overtime_easy_to_fix/

Sure-Oz
09-19-2006, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't mind if each team got a shot, cause whoever wins the coin flip is likely winning the OT. Not sayin that just cause we lost sunday.

NJ Chief Fan
09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
i never liked the NFL OT rules, the college one isnt bad, i wouldnt mind seeing a 7.5 minute over time which each team getting the ball atleast once

StcChief
09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
A thought from my boy 19 after watching this OT sunday.

First TD wins.

If you get a FG....Other team gets a shot to tie with another FG.
or win by scoring TD.

jidar
09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't like the current overtime rules, and that's not sour grapes.
I see the point that they're trying to limit injuries, but they played that long, let em play another 15. Best Athletes win instead of the luckiest coin toss.

Sure-Oz
09-19-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm tryin to remember when is the last time we won an OT coin toss.

jspchief
09-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Yea, no one has ever suggested this before the Chiefs lost to Denver last Sunday.

Rand is such a shill...

Hound333
09-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I think you will find that most teams agree with us that the overtime is messed up with sudden death. Even Bronco fans that won last week because they had the ball first would agree. All we can do though is bitch till someone takes a look at it in the off-season.

JBucc
09-19-2006, 11:22 AM
I don't like the NFL or college's OT's. However if the college OT rules could be adjusted, as in move the offense back to their own 25 instead of the opponents, or just have them kickoff and return, I would like that. Then continue as usual with each offense getting a drive to try and score. No ties.

Hammock Parties
09-19-2006, 11:24 AM
There is nothing wrong with the OT rules.

shaneo69
09-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I don't remember hearing any complaints about the overtime rules back in 1995 when we had a defense that could force the opponent to punt to Vanover or intercept passes intended for Tim Brown and run them back all the way for the game-winning TD.

tk13
09-19-2006, 11:26 AM
The college overtime system can be fun, but I don't think I'd like it in the NFL. It would throw statistics, points per game, etc. way off. Because it's not like an actual game, you usually don't get the ball at the 25 yard line.

I think the best solution I've heard is the 6 point rule. You play just like normal, first team to score 6 points in overtime wins. That way if you lose the toss and just hold them to a FG, you still get the ball. If you let them march all the way down for a TD, game over.

shaneo69
09-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I think the best solution I've heard is the 6 point rule. You play just like normal, first team to score 6 points in overtime wins. That way if you lose the toss and just hold them to a FG, you still get the ball. If you let them march all the way down for a TD, game over.

Yeah, I like that idea, but how long do you play? A 15 minute quarter? Then if one team is up by 3 at that point is it over?

Hound333
09-19-2006, 11:30 AM
I hated the rule in 95 to. It doesn't matter to me if we win or lose in overtime. I hate the first one to score rule. I would like the college rules with a kick off instead of the short field.

JBucc
09-19-2006, 11:30 AM
How about instead of a cointoss we line up each teams 11 fastest players at their respective ends of the field and have one ball at the 50. Then just like dodgeball everyone runs full blast after it and whoever gets it gets to go on offense at their 20.

htismaqe
09-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Jim Nance is a shill for the Chiefs. Otherwise, he never would have suggested that the rules needed to be changed...

Oh wait, he was suggesting it during the OT coin toss.

Mr. Kotter
09-19-2006, 11:32 AM
The college overtime system can be fun, but I don't think I'd like it in the NFL. It would throw statistics, points per game, etc. way off. Because it's not like an actual game, you usually don't get the ball at the 25 yard line.

That's better, but doesn't overcome my main objection: both teams ought to have an opportunity to score, and should be required to make a defensive stand. Period.

JMHO

....I would like the college rules with a kick off instead of the short field.

Each team with a possession, with a kickoff.

Yup.

shaneo69
09-19-2006, 11:41 AM
How about instead of a cointoss we line up each teams 11 fastest players at their respective ends of the field and have one ball at the 50. Then just like dodgeball everyone runs full blast after it and whoever gets it gets to go on offense at their 20.

Kinda like the XFL?

NaptownChief
09-19-2006, 11:43 AM
The 6 point rules is the best solution that I have heard...If a team doesn't get a possession it's because they let a team march straight down the field and score a TD on them....That is far better than the process of losing the coin toss and lossing the game on a chicken $hit FG.

JBucc
09-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Kinda like the XFL?Is that what they did? I never watched that.

hawkchief
09-19-2006, 11:44 AM
I hate the current OT rules. I'd much prefer the 7 1/2 minute quarter than this BS of deciding the game on a coin toss. Regarding Sunday, we should have never had to go to OT.

shaneo69
09-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Is that what they did? I never watched that.

I think it was done to determine opening possession of the game, instead of a coin flip.

And it may have just been one guy from each team going after the ball at midfield.

Mecca
09-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Jim Nance is a shill for the Chiefs. Otherwise, he never would have suggested that the rules needed to be changed...

Oh wait, he was suggesting it during the OT coin toss.

That caused Phil Simms to go into possibly the dumbest rant I've ever heard........

"Well fine then let's just play forever, let's let everyone fall out and die."

NaptownChief
09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
That caused Phil Simms to go into possibly the dumbest rant I've ever heard........

I completely agree.....I sounded like a response you would get from scored women during her menstrual cycle...I was really surprised by his crybaby response.

greg63
09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Oh! I know have the team captains pick numbers between 0 and 10! :p

Sure-Oz
09-19-2006, 12:25 PM
I say don't start at the 25 or whatever if they gave other teams chances. u get a kickoff or punt it whatever you got to get your chance to score. if u dont, then you lose.

Frosty
09-19-2006, 12:31 PM
NFL Europe already has the rule that each team gets one possesion in OT (not like college though). This tells me that the NFL is at least toying with the idea of changing the rule.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Keep the rules the way they now. Who cares if your O doesnt get the ball first. Its a complete team effort remember???? Ive seen plenty of D's make a stop in OT to give the ball back to the O. This is horsecrap.

Mecca
09-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Keep the rules the way they now. Who cares if your O doesnt get the ball first. Its a complete team effort remember???? Ive seen plenty of D's make a stop in OT to give the ball back to the O. This is horsecrap.

Plenty eh.........you win the game 28% of the time if you don't get the ball first in OT.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Plenty eh.........you win the game 28% of the time if you don't get the ball first in OT.

I saw one this weekend. Giants/Eagles Both teams O had the ball numerous times in OT. If your team doesnt get the coin flip, then the D needs to step up. Simple as that. Its a total team concept.

NaptownChief
09-19-2006, 12:59 PM

If it were as simple as that every player, coach and fan wouldn't be on the edge of their seat begging to win the coin toss.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 01:04 PM
The only thing i might consider changing is making OT only 1 additional quarter like 10 minutes long. Whoever leads at the end of the game wins. Just like a regular game. If they are tied, then so be it.

alpha_omega
09-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Why not just play the extra 15 min's to the end.
If it is still tied...well, then it is a tie.

The paying NFL fan deserves an extra full period.

Just my .02.

JBucc
09-19-2006, 01:13 PM

Just my .02.That actually makes a lot of sense.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Just my .02.

I was just trying to be like the NBA overtime. a shortened quarter to speed things along and hopefully prevent injury and exhaustion.

Valiant
09-19-2006, 01:22 PM
i never liked the NFL OT rules, the college one isnt bad, i wouldnt mind seeing a 7.5 minute over time which each team getting the ball atleast once

**** no, for the sole purpose records would become shattered by this.. It has been this way in the NFL forever, if anything the only rules that should be considered are getting rid of the chop block scheme and make the five yard bump zone to a ten yard bump zone...

donkhater
09-19-2006, 01:31 PM
I kind of thought KC got lucky NOT winning the toss against Denver. They were able to defend the endzone that was into the wind, effectively lengthening the field for the Broncos. Of course, since they were on the field for so long in the fourth quarter, the defense could've used a rest.

ChiefsOne
09-19-2006, 02:20 PM
No matter which was OT begins, each team should have the ball to make it fair.

Hound333
09-19-2006, 02:24 PM
**** no, for the sole purpose records would become shattered by this.. It has been this way in the NFL forever, if anything the only rules that should be considered are getting rid of the chop block scheme and make the five yard bump zone to a ten yard bump zone...

Records are already being shattered by handcuffing the CB's. I think its a good price to pay for fair games.

Hoover
09-19-2006, 02:37 PM
This is what I'd do if I was the commisioner.

Each team gets the ball on the 20 yard line. You can not kick a field goal on your first pocession in OT. It needs to be an 80 yard drive for a TD.

If one team socres a TD and the other team doesn't- Game over.

It Both teams score TDs or neither teams score, we go to a coain toss to determine who gets the ball.

NaptownChief
09-19-2006, 02:50 PM

Just my .02.

If I had a guess, I would guess that the TV networks would bitch and moan about that as it would add about 35-45 minutes to every game that went into OT...That obviously wouldn't bother me or most fans but the TV networks swing the heaviest stick since they pay the biggest bills.

TrickyNicky
09-19-2006, 02:59 PM
As others have suggested, I've always thought a first-to-six sudden death was the best alternative way to go.

You win by scoring 6 points first. That way even if you don't get a TD, you can still stop them and kick two field goals.

I still don't have that much problems with the format now. Frankly, if you don't get it done in 60 minutes, you leave your team in the hands of a coin toss.

PHANTOM
09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
50 percent chance of winning the coin toss with that winner going on to win 52.7 percent of the time. That is about as even as it will ever get.

PHANTOM
09-19-2006, 04:00 PM
71.4 percent of the time the coin toss winner doesn't score on the first possesion

penguinz
09-19-2006, 04:06 PM
71.4 percent of the time the coin toss winner doesn't score on the first possesionDon't try and use stats here. It will get you no where.

Red Dawg
09-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I think to win in OT you must score a TD. Play until one team scores a TD.

runnercyclist
09-19-2006, 05:53 PM
I say play another 18 on Monday

teedubya
09-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Face it. If we had got the ball first, we would have had to punt. SO its moot, innit?

whoman69
09-19-2006, 08:00 PM
The slight advantage to the team winning the flip is a statistical anomoly. The advantage increased when the kickoffs moved back. I would propose to fix the advantage to simply move the kicks up again just for OT.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Pro Football OT is fine the way it is.

mikey23545
09-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Some of you ****ers must think it's illegal to send your defense out on the field in overtime....

dtebbe
09-19-2006, 09:37 PM
My solution would be TO TRY AND WIN THE ****!NG GAME IN REGULATION! That means not running it up the center's ass on 3rd and 4 with less than 2 minutes to go in the game.

I feel better now...

DT

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 10:31 PM
The slight advantage to the team winning the flip is a statistical anomoly. The advantage increased when the kickoffs moved back. I would propose to fix the advantage to simply move the kicks up again just for OT.

Thats not a bad idea either.

boltpower 21
09-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Herm should have played for the win when the Chiefs had the ball last in the fourth quarter. Overtime wouldn't have even been needed.

greg63
09-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Football OT is fine the way it is.

Would you feel that way had the OT game worked out the other way; if the Chiefs would have won the toss, drove the ball downfield and scored the game winning field goal?

09-19-2006, 11:05 PM

He pissed me off with that whiny ass comment.

greg63
09-19-2006, 11:06 PM
He pissed me off with that whiny ass comment.

Glad I didn't hear it.

mcan
09-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Sudden death is the only thing that makes sense to me. It's pro football. If you don't stop em, you deserve to lose.

glennst
09-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Chiefs are getting the reputation of being the biggest whiners in the NFL (right up there with Peyton Manning).

First, the Chiefs miss the playoffs and Carl Peterson begins lobbying for an additional playoff booth (I think the Chiefs organization lost a lot of respect over this one).

Now they want to change the OT rules just because they lost in the first possesion of OT?

I actually agree that OT should not be sudden death, but a shortened quarter (like basketball). However, this suggestion should NOT originate from the Chiefs camp.

Luzap
09-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Just thinking out loud...

Actually, I'd be in favor of elliminating overtime all together. We might see more Dick Vermeil vs Oakland calls at the end of games instead of coaches playing for just a tie.

Luz
besides, 0-1-1 sounds better than 0-2... :)

milkman
09-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Chiefs are getting the reputation of being the biggest whiners in the NFL (right up there with Peyton Manning).

First, the Chiefs miss the playoffs and Carl Peterson begins lobbying for an additional playoff booth (I think the Chiefs organization lost a lot of respect over this one).

The Chiefs have been lobbying the NFL for years in an effort to expand the playoffs.
It was just overblown by the media last season because the Chiefs missed them, but were so close.

Now they want to change the OT rules just because they lost in the first possesion of OT?

I actually agree that OT should not be sudden death, but a shortened quarter (like basketball). However, this suggestion should NOT originate from the Chiefs camp.

You act as though the Chiefs are the only ones that have ever raised the question of the fairness of OT.
I really love how people just think the worst of the organization.

Thig Lyfe
09-20-2006, 05:10 PM
When regulation ends in a tie, they should just play the game over again.

Calcountry
09-20-2006, 05:12 PM
What is wrong with a tie?

Just let the teams each have a tie, it is not like there aren't enough tiebreackers for all the 10-6 teams at the end of the season.

redbrian
09-20-2006, 05:14 PM
This rule has only been around since 74, it was bs then and it bs now.

How would you feel if a fg won the SB in overtime (take off your red and gold glasses first before you speak).

They put 15 min on the clock, let them play the full 15 min, one more qtr to break the tie and thats that.

In playoff games or SB games keep putting 15 min on the board until someone wins.

This is one thing that bb has right

greg63
09-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Just thinking out loud...

Actually, I'd be in favor of elliminating overtime all together. We might see more Dick Vermeil vs Oakland calls at the end of games instead of coaches playing for just a tie.

Luz
besides, 0-1-1 sounds better than 0-2... :)

Eh, a tie is like kissing yer sister.....unless we are speaking of Arkansas residents. :p

09-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Eh, a tie is like kissing yer sister.....unless we are speaking of Arkansas residents. :p
You know this from experience? :hmmm:

greg63
09-20-2006, 11:27 PM
You know this from experience? :hmmm:

Errr, so I've heard. :p

I'm not from Arkansas.:harumph:

:D

09-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Errr, so I've heard. :p

I'm not from Arkansas.:harumph:

:D

Backpedalling. He is GUILTY!!!!! ROFL

greg63
09-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Backpedalling. He is GUILTY!!!!! ROFL

Your right; it was long ago in parochial (sp) school. Sister Mary Elephant invited me into the coat closet and....Oh, it's just so embarrassing!

orange
09-21-2006, 12:28 AM
This rule has only been around since 74, it was bs then and it bs now.

How would you feel if a fg won the SB in overtime (take off your red and gold glasses first before you speak).

They put 15 min on the clock, let them play the full 15 min, one more qtr to break the tie and thats that.

In playoff games or SB games keep putting 15 min on the board until someone wins.

This is one thing that bb has right

Some old timers know exactly how they would feel, and they don't have to take off any red and gold glasses:

"The ‘71 Chiefs were regarded by many as the finest squad ever assembled by the franchise, including Lamar Hunt. “I always thought that our best team was the peak of our best team, our ‘71 squad,” Hunt recalled. The ‘71 Chiefs fielded perhaps the most complete squad in franchise history, featuring a team-record 11 Pro Bowl performers. Offensively, WR Otis Taylor led the league with 1,110 receiving yards. In just his third pro season, Podolak surpassed RB Abner Haynes as the all-time leading ground gainer in team history. The longstanding linebacking trio of Willie Lanier, Bobby Bell and Jim Lynch was the league’s best. The offensive line was headlined by G Ed Budde and T Jim Tyrer, while the defensive front featured a pair of Pro Bowlers in DTs Buck Buchanan and Curley Culp. Both K Jan Stenerud and P Jerrel Wilson represented the squad in the Pro Bowl, as well. The ‘71 squad became the first in team annals to register two Monday Night Football wins.

After bolting to a 5-1-1 start, the club went 5-2 during the second half of the season to finish the year at 10-3-1. A 16-14 victory vs. Oakland (12/12) gave the franchise its initial AFC West title.

The great promise of the ‘71 campaign ended dramatically in the longest game in NFL history, an AFC Divisional Playoff Game played on Christmas Day. It took 82:40, but a 37-yard FG from Dolphins K Garo Yepremian finally ended this epic as Miami claimed a 27-24 double OT win in the final football contest played at Municipal Stadium. Podolak accounted for an incredible 350 combined net yards, a figure that remains an NFL postseason record. The baton of power in the AFC was officially passed to the Dolphins, who went on to appear in three consecutive Super Bowls. It would be the Chiefs last playoff appearance for 15 years, effectively signaling the conclusion of the franchise’s glory days."

HMc
09-21-2006, 01:18 AM
scrap overtime. What's wrong with ties?