PDA

View Full Version : Volek to The Chargers

NaptownChief
09-19-2006, 12:55 PM
ESPN reports the San Diego Chargers (http://www.kffl.com/team/31/nfl) have acquired QB Billy Volek (http://www.kffl.com/player/1878/nfl) (Titans) in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick.
<HR width="100%" SIZE=1>

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Sounds like the Titans just wanted to dump this guy. I really dont think hes all that. Just the whole Kerry Collins thing tells me all i need to know.

Kyle401
09-19-2006, 01:19 PM
The Titans only brought in Collins so he would suck it up and they could have a reason to get Vince Young on the field sooner than later. Volek is a stud. We are doomed!! :sulk:

Sure-Oz
09-19-2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=147730&page=3&pp=15
;)

PastorMikH
09-19-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm glad he's finally gone. I was afraid that Carl would send them a first day draft pick for him.

StcChief
09-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Off the trade block is good. Huard will have to do.

ck_IN
09-19-2006, 02:13 PM
An odd end to an odd affair.

Volek has some talent. There's no reason he shouldn't be starting for the Titans. The whole Collins bit is a mystery. If they wanted to start Young then why not just start him? It's not like that team is a contender anyway.

jspchief
09-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Wht would the Chargers need Volek with Rivers and Whitehurst? Seems like an odd move.

ck_IN
09-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Not odd at all. Marty has a team with the tools to go all the way. He also has essentially a rookie QB. If worst comes to worst and Rivers folds then Volek can come in and be a vet QB. It makes perfect sense really.

Predarat
09-19-2006, 02:28 PM
From what I understand the main problem was Volek and Norm Chow were at odds. Billy wanted to throw the ball beyond the first down marker and Chow preferred 3 yard passes on 3rd and 7's.

htismaqe
09-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Except that Volek is in reality NOT a veteran. He doesn't have a ton of in-game experience.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Marty has a team with the tools to go all the way.

All except for the Head Coach.

runnercyclist
09-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Who is Billy Volek and what has he ever done in the NFL?

chief52
09-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Who is Billy Volek and what has he ever done in the NFL?

http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/billy-volek.htm

Entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2000, Volek is now a veteran commodity that approaches his first season as the starting signal caller for the Titans. Playing behind Steve McNair for six seasons, Volek blossomed into one of the league’s top backup quarterbacks. In 2005, Volek recorded his 10th start of his career at Arizona (10/23), and since 1970, he leads all QB’s in passing yards for his first 10 starts with 2,789. The former Fresno State star now has 312 completions, 3,505 yards and 26 touchdowns on 571 career attempts. He made eight starts in 2004 as a result of Steve McNair’s debilitating sternum injury and for the first time led the team in all passing categories, completing 218 of 357 passes for 2,486 yards and 18 touchdowns. During a two-game stretch, he passed for 426 yards against Kansas City (12/13/04) and 492 yards at Oakland (12/19/04), becoming only the fourth player in NFL history to record back-to-back 400-yard passing games and just the second player in NFL history to record 900 or more passing yards over a two-game span.

ArrowheadHawk
09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
thank god we didn't get him

09-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Wht would the Chargers need Volek with Rivers and Whitehurst? Seems like an odd move.
thats exactly what I am trying to figure out myself..it doesn't make much sense

ArrowheadHawk
09-19-2006, 06:07 PM
they are coached by Mr. Shotenheimer, that should explain most things

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 06:17 PM

Its a "just in case" measure in case Rivers doesnt pan out and to push him just a tad.

rad
09-19-2006, 06:26 PM
From what I understand the main problem was Volek and Norm Chow were at odds. Billy wanted to throw the ball beyond the first down marker and Chow preferred 3 yard passes on 3rd and 7's.

Sounds like a guy Herm would LOVE!!!!!

09-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Its a "just in case" measure in case Rivers doesnt pan out and to push him just a tad.
gotchya

boltpower 21
09-19-2006, 07:15 PM

They traded for Volek as an insurace veteran backup since they cut Feeley in the preseason.

If Rivers goes down and the Chargers are in the playoff hunt or postseason, he'll play.

I think Whitehurst only plays if Rivers goes down and the season is in the toilet.

He's not there to take the job from Rivers. If for some reason, Rivers struggles, they'll try to groom Whitehurst for the quarterback of the future, but that's going to be way down the line. Rivers is the franchise quarterback for the future. If he struggles, he'll get a lot of chances to redeem himself.

boltpower 21
09-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Also, Volek's contract goes until 2007 so I wouldn't expect him to be here after that. By that time, Whitehurst should be ready to take over the number two spot and Volek will go play backup for another team.

ArrowheadHawk
09-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Also, Volek's contract goes until 2007 so I wouldn't expect him to be here after that. By that time, Whitehurst should be ready to take over the number two spot and Volek will go play backup for another team.probably the raiders:hmmm:

doomy3
09-19-2006, 08:04 PM
By the way, the Chargers only gave up a 6th round pick for Volek. Not a bad trade at all for them. I believe I would have given up a 6th for him too. He certainly has better tools than Huard and since all they gave up was a 6th, and probably a LOW 6th at that...

Easy 6
09-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Good, let's get Young Prince Philip to start lookin' over his shoulder.....thinkin' to much..........pressing too hard...........takin' chance's.....good move sucker's!

boltpower 21
09-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Good, let's get Young Prince Philip to start lookin' over his shoulder.....thinkin' to much..........pressing too hard...........takin' chance's.....good move sucker's!

Not sure where you're getting that theory from. This isn't Brees/Rivers part II or Plummer/Cutler.

Volek will be here two years max and then Whitehurst becomes the backup. If anything, Whitehurst will be the one to push Rivers... but not this year.

Easy 6
09-19-2006, 09:54 PM
boltpower21, what happen's when/if River's choke's in a tough game? You know it's possible, he hasnt been in the late season crunch yet. It's gonna get HOT and there's an atleast solid vet w/win's under his belt over on the bench...................young River's self doubt set's in...........

boltpower 21
09-19-2006, 10:15 PM
boltpower21, what happen's when/if River's choke's in a tough game? You know it's possible, he hasnt been in the late season crunch yet. It's gonna get HOT and there's an atleast solid vet w/win's under his belt over on the bench...................young River's self doubt set's in...........

Do you think if he blows a game, he'll be on the hotseat and the fans and media calling for Volek? Seriously?

This Volek deal was simply to replace A.J. Feeley, who was cut because he was terrible running San Diego's offense. Whitehurst outplayed him easily in preseason and in camp. It's very risky to have a first year starter and a rookie as the backup QB. That's why Volek is here. People are reading way too much into this trade.

blueballs
09-19-2006, 10:20 PM
the Chiefs D made Volek a household name
just like they did Kelly Holcome

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 10:23 PM
the Chiefs D made Volek a household name
just like they did Kelly Holcome

Career Day Defense.

They made so many look like Hall of Famers.

blueballs
09-19-2006, 10:26 PM
they played great for two or three more game on cnfidence
before they figured out they were not good enough to even hold a clipboard

Easy 6
09-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Believe what ya' want boltpower21, atleast you dont come over here like some :whackit: , but bonny Prince Phillip will struggle.......bank it

boltpower 21
09-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Believe what ya' want boltpower21, atleast you dont come over here like some :whackit: , but bonny Prince Phillip will struggle.......bank it

Wait, I never said he won't struggle. He probably will. All young quarterbacks do. The Palmers, the Mannings, the Bradys... they all do at some point.

What you said earlier is that, Volek could threaten Rivers for the starting job and I don't see that happening. Brees could only hold him off for so long and he put up some great numbers. It's all economics with high draft picks.

It's the Rivers era in San Diego now and it's never going to be threatened by Billy Volek. I don't know why you think I'm full of hot air.

Easy 6
09-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Bree's wouldnt have to hold off squat if he hadnt hurt his shoulder, this is a acase of a club cuttin' it's loss's like NO did w/ Roaf, and losin' out. NO is 2-0 on the road, crazy right? Why? cause' of Bree's. River's is unproven, atleast admit that to yourself.

boltpower 21
09-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Bree's wouldnt have to hold off squat if he hadnt hurt his shoulder, this is a acase of a club cuttin' it's loss's like NO did w/ Roaf, and losin' out. NO is 2-0 on the road, crazy right? Why? cause' of Bree's. River's is unproven, atleast admit that to yourself.

Anyone can speculate what might have happened if Brees didn't hurt his shoulder.

There are two very important facts that you have to consider about Brees and Rivers:

1) There is a salary cap.

The Chargers actually offered Brees a contract. It was an incentive based contract that would have paid him approximately eight million dollars (if I remember correctly) if he played a certain percentage of snaps (75% I believe) in 2006. But it wasn't the ten million guaranteed that he wanted so he didn't take it. Remember, Miami wouldn't give Brees the money he wanted either. New Orleans did and that's why he's now a Saint. Only three teams if you include San Diego was interested in Brees and offered him a contract.

They couldn't continue to pay Brees what he wanted while Rivers was making top quarterback pay as well. You need to realize this when you suggest the Chargers could just dump Rivers for Brees. The cap hit would have been devistating.

2) And this is just as significant: Brees was not an AJ Smith pick and Rivers was.

If you didn't know, AJ Smith is a very stubborn man. And he's not afraid to let people know that he has an ego. There was no way Rivers was not going to get his chance to be quarterback of the San Diego Chargers. AJ Smith didn't mind if Rivers had to hold a clipboard and learn behind Brees for a year or two but it was inevitable that his quarterback was going to start eventually.

The only reason Brees was franchised in 2005 was because he put up Pro Bowl numbers and the Chargers went to the playoffs. It was still a very controversial move to 'let Brees go' this year but it was under far easier circumstances because of the injury and because the team missed the playoffs.

As to your last comment, yes Rivers is unproven. All quarterbacks are at first. Rivers has a much higher ceiling than Brees. I like Brees and the Saints are now the team I root for in the NFC (and I think Brees will do well in New Orleans BTW) but he had limitations that hindered this offense. He never scared defenses with the deep threat because he has a weak arm. He is not the prototypical 6'4" quarterback and that limited what he could do in the pocket and against the blitz. What AJ Smith and Mary love about Rivers is his quick release, his accuracy and most importantly, his leadership. How many highly drafted quarterbacks get brought along slowly and come into their first year starting with arguably the best running back and tight end in the NFL and a solid defense? Rivers could come in and struggle but he has a solid team on offense and defense to help him along the way.

Rausch
09-20-2006, 12:54 AM
This trade was made because Marty completely believes in the next Bernie Kosar...

Easy 6
09-20-2006, 01:08 AM
At this point i'm to tired to debate a "FormidableOpponent", your a solid ambassador for your dolt's, scotty go night-night.

Rausch
09-20-2006, 01:10 AM
At this point i'm to tired to debate a "FormidableOpponent", your a solid ambassador for your dolt's, scotty go night-night.

Easy 6
09-20-2006, 01:15 AM
Thank's Rausch?????? i'm just to tired to put up a good showing here.

Miles
09-20-2006, 01:15 AM

Also a vet with some possible upside to backup Rivers rather than a rookie. At the price the paid it seems like a solid move.