PDA

View Full Version : Well with no Chiefs football this weekend I turn to UFC

ArrowheadHawk
09-19-2006, 06:33 PM
I will turn to the UFC fights on Saturday night for my weekend entertainment. Anybody else? Who thinks Penn has a chance? I see him being like shamrock ( his time has passed)

TrickyNicky
09-19-2006, 06:41 PM
I want to order it but I can't afford it this time around. Penn has a chance. Definitely. Theres no way a BJJ black belt doesn't have a chance. It all depends on if Hughes gives something up during the fight.

Comparing Penn to Ken isn't fair because MMA evolved and Ken is still the Cro Magnun man in terms of skill. Several phases of the game have just waved goodbye to him a long time ago. Especially ground fighting. It's way more advanced than when he was a top dog. He still is clueless on his back, his wrestling has gotten worse, and he seems to think defending himself intelligently is letting his opponent have some free shots at his face. Take his recent coaching move on TUF season three to bring in a nutritionist instead of a BJJ coach. Penn at least has had a meaningful victory in the last 10 years...

ArrowheadHawk
09-19-2006, 06:43 PM
I want to order it but I can't afford it this time around. Penn has a chance. Definitely. Theres no way a BJJ black belt doesn't have a chance. It all depends on if Hughes gives something up during the fight.

Comparing Penn to Ken isn't fair because MMA evolved and Ken is still the Cro Magnun man in terms of skill. Several phases of the game have just waved goodbye to him a long time ago. Especially ground fighting. It's way more advanced than when he was a top dog. He still is clueless on his back, his wrestling has gotten worse, and he seems to think defending himself intelligently is letting his opponent have some free shots at his face. Take his recent coaching move on TUF season three to bring in a nutritionist instead of a BJJ coach. Penn at least has had a meaningful victory in the last 10 years...good point

Skip Towne
09-19-2006, 06:51 PM
The first time I saw Ken was when Tito beat the shit out of him. It looked like he was trying to beat Tito's fist into submission with his face.

09-19-2006, 06:54 PM
The first time I saw Ken was when Tito beat the shit out of him. It looked like he was trying to beat Tito's fist into submission with his face.
and he's going to fight tito AGAIN!!!
ON FREE TV!!!

he should just retire..he's done..

runnercyclist
09-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Why can't we all just get along?

ArrowheadHawk
09-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Why can't we all just get along?because tito was a dick to shamrock but shamrock is not man enough to put him in his place

burt
09-19-2006, 07:32 PM

In the early days, I loved to watch Shamrock. But Nick is right, time has left him in the dust. He is too old to keep it on his feet by sprawling intelligently, plus his hand speed has slowed down enough that his stand up isn't very good. There comes a time when ya just gotta say "I am done".

As far as Penn goes, the man is a freak. I have never seen someone so composed in the ring. He is just like a snake waiting for his prey to get within striking distance. If Matt makes a mistake it is all over.

Matt beat Royce, but Penn is better ion his feet, and MUCH younger. Yeah, Penn has a chance, but I ain't gonna bet on anyone!

ArrowheadHawk
09-19-2006, 07:33 PM
In the early days, I loved to watch Shamrock. But Nick is right, time has left him in the dust. He is too old to keep it on his feet by sprawling intelligently, plus his hand speed has slowed down enough that his stand up isn't very good. There comes a time when ya just gotta say "I am done".

As far as Penn goes, the man is a freak. I have never seen someone so composed in the ring. He is just like a snake waiting for his prey to get within striking distance. If Matt makes a mistake it is all over.

Matt beat Royce, but Penn is better ion his feet, and MUCH younger. Yeah, Penn has a chance, but I ain't gonna bet on anyone!so what happened between Penn and StPierre?

burt
09-19-2006, 07:39 PM
so what happened between Penn and StPierre?

I thought St Pierre beat Penn, and deserved his piece of Hughes, but now I see that Penn is fighting Hughes. I think we need clarification from some one that knows. St. Pierre was bleeding and beat up pretty good, it was a VERY close fight.....any one care to clear this up?

ArrowheadHawk
09-19-2006, 07:40 PM
I thought St Pierre beat Penn, and deserved his piece of Hughes, but now I see that Penn is fighting Hughes. I think we need clarification from some one that knows. St. Pierre was bleeding and beat up pretty good, it was a VERY close fight.....any one care to clear this up?StPierre hurt himself in training so they substituted Penn in his place

burt
09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
StPierre hurt himself in training so they substituted Penn in his place

I thought St. Pierre would go thru Penn, but Penn was a player in that fight.... I wouldn't count Penn out against anyone!

ArrowheadHawk
09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
St. Pierre Sidelined by Injury; ‘The Prodigy’ to The Rescue

By Thomas Gerbasi (tgerbasi@ufc.com)

http://media.ufc.tv/i.cfc?method=get&s=5005EC45-1422-0E8C-3460DE0BC010357D.jpg&rs=100&q=75&x=24&y=2&w=100&h=100&ro=0After a groin pull forced top 170 pound contender Georges St. Pierre to withdraw from his September 23rd rematch with UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, California today, the UFC was faced with a dilemma. Who could possibly challenge the champ on short notice and still be compelling enough to get fight fans excited?

The answer was a no-brainer – the last man to beat Hughes, BJ Penn.

And as one of the top fighters in the world, pound for pound, Penn eagerly accepted the opportunity to make it 2-0 against the premier welterweight of this era.

“I thrive on these big fights, I thrive on pressure, and that’s when I perform my best,” said Penn, who was already in training for an October UFC bout when he got the call to replace St. Pierre.
http://media.ufc.tv/i.cfc?method=get&s=F08CA6F4-1422-0E8C-34F9E1799BBBE38A.jpg&rs=100&q=75&x=-4&y=7&w=100&h=100&ro=0
For his part, Hughes -who has defended his crown eight times over two reigns - would like nothing better than to settle an old score with Hawaii’s ‘Prodigy’.

“Now I’ve got something to really look forward to. I’ve already beat Georges and here I get to fight BJ Penn, a guy who’s beaten me. I’m a month out and I can really concentrate on BJ Penn now, and I’m looking forward to it.”

In 2004, Penn, a highly regarded lightweight contender at the time, scored one of the biggest upsets in mixed martial arts history when he rose 15 pounds in weight to tackle and beat Hughes in his first-ever welterweight bout. The end came at 4:39 of the first round when Penn forced Hughes to tap out due to a rear-naked choke.

On September 23rd, the rivalry is renewed.

jidar
09-19-2006, 08:43 PM
BJ Penn is a monster. Hughes is a Monster.
These are two of the best in the sport folks, it's going to be a good fight.

kcxiv
09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
ufc is boring now.